It's my birthday!

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seventeen. Any ideas on making this year count? I want it to be a year I can look back on with my kids and grandkids and say, "That's nothing compared to what I did when I was seventeen." :box:

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Happy birthday, Deadbeat!

Yes--here's what you should most definitely do, if nothing else: Start an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) at your local bank, and contribute $166.66 of your paycheck to it every month, without fail. You'll look back and tell your kids that that is why you DO have time to go fishing with them. Well, or hover-skateboarding or holodeck-dinosaur taunting or whatever else'n you zany young-uns grow up to do...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com

I dunno. I had a lot of fun at seventeen -- but I can honestly say every year since has been better, yet.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

Due to the court order, I can't make any suggestions on what you should or should not do. Hey, there really is a "permanent record"! ;-)

Actually, I would suggest that you try to drive within reason, and never drive drunk. Really, it's one of the best suggestions I can make to you. Other than that, have fun.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've got kids and grandkids at 17?!?

Sheesh!

Well, happy birthday to ya'. My advice - just ENJOY being 17. Too bad about he kids and grandkids at such an early age, but - what can you do, eh?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Roses are red
Violets are blue.
A very happy B-day
To Y- O - UUUUUUUU!

Hope your day is great, Deadbeat. Party time: :Cake: :popcorn: :Cake: :TheWave: :Guitar: :PartySmil: :partyguy: more :Cake: :D

l7 is so far back for me, I can't really remember what that was like, but I know it was fun. :D

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
Yes--here's what you should most definitely do, if nothing else: Start an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) at your local bank, and contribute $166.66 of your paycheck to it every month, without fail.

Thanks! Actually, that's some pretty sound advice. I have, what, $30.45 to jump start the account... Maybe I should lay off squandering my cash at FuzzyWigs... :Shrug:

Thank you! :D

Happy Birthday!

Actually, I would suggest that you try to drive within reason, and never drive drunk. Really, it's one of the best suggestions I can make to you. Other than that, have fun.

Thanks. I haven't been pushing my parents for a car because they have this crazy idea that I should buy it myself. Maybe if I let them get used to the idea of me driving on their own terms, they'll buy (most of) the car for me. :D I've had my eye on this beauty...
http://www.technology-assoc.com/infoimages/golf_carts.jpg

Well, happy birthday to ya'. My advice - just ENJOY being 17. Too bad about he kids and grandkids at such an early age, but - what can you do, eh?

Hey, I'm just looking out for my future self. Do you know how much those kids will sell for on the black market? Plus they come in handy when it comes time to do chores...

Roses are red
Violets are blue.
A very happy B-day
To Y- O - UUUUUUUU!

Thank ya'! :snoopy:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday! For serious, don't dismiss the first-rate financial advice you got here. Check any Roth IRA calculator for what that $166.66 each and every month will turn into. (And brace yourself for loan requests.)

Even if you can't swing that much every month, put something into an IRA every month starting now and you may never need to worry about money when you're older. Now that's a birthday present!

By the time you're enjoying the fruit of the seed Meerkat planted, you'll probably be congratulating yourself for your early wisdom, but we'll know the truth. ;)

Maryn, wondering what kind of cake she should bake for you

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't been pushing my parents for a car because they have this crazy idea that I should buy it myself. Maybe if I let them get used to the idea of me driving on their own terms, they'll buy (most of) the car for me. :D I've had my eye on this beauty...
http://www.technology-assoc.com/infoimages/golf_carts.jpg
Nice.

I have my eye on this beauty . . .

ford-gt-1.jpg

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

You're an Aries and we all know that is the best sign of the Zodiac! You are already at an advantage.

How to celebrate? Go out to dinner. Have a party. Borrow that nice car from alleycat.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, here's another suggestion. Don't listen to anything Tsuki tells you.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Happy Birthday! My best advice is to enjoy being a teenager while you can! You'll be an adult, with stupid responsibilities, before you know it!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JUst go have tons of fun. Best of Happy Birthdays to you! :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Deadbeat!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Deadbeat!

Wow.

I remember 17.

No.

Actually, I don't. I think I had fun.

But I can say that while you are young you should travel. I traveled quite a bit back then and I'm really glad I did.

And being a grown-up doesn't suck, inspite of what some would have you think.

Remember: Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

:TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Write a long letter to yourself about what's important to you right now, what you are thinking about, what's going on in your life. Then, seal it and put it away to be opened on your 30th birthday or another big life event.

As far as making your year memorable, I would suggest picking something you've always thought about doing like going on a hot air balloon ride, bungee jumping, white water rafting, learning to scuba, riding a donkey to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and just going for it. It doesn't have to be expensive either - it could be going to every museum nearby, volunteering at the zoo, riding a horse, etc.

You live in a beautiful place, if you enlist the help of your family, there are some great places to visit and experience.

Happy Birthday! I hope all your dreams come true this year!

Judy