Not open for further replies.

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living lik
Website
www.trchelle.com
I sent my first 50 pages to an agent at Writers House about a month-and-a-half ago. She didn't offer me representation, but I have to admit that this kind of rejection does take the sting out of it:

Dear Ms. [my name]:

Thank you for sending me the first 50 pages of [your story]. I'm sorry to say that our office will not be offering representation at this time.

I enjoyed reading these pages and I think that [your character] is an intriguing and well-developed protagonist. However, because I read so many fine manuscripts, I eventually take on only authors whose work shows not only a superior quality, but to which I can also relate on a strong and personal basis.

While I admire your talent, I'm afraid I didn't respond with the rare enthusiasm I believe is necessary to give you the kind of service your work deserves.

Thank you again for letting me review your work, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
[signature]

*g* Am I crazy to actually be smiling over this? And for the curious, yes, I sent the sender a nice thank-you note.

~JM.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Thank you for sending me the first 50 pages of [your story]. I'm sorry to say that our office will not be offering representation at this time.

Did it really say [your story] or did it have the name of your book there and you added that? I would be kinda mad if they just said "your story" and not the name of my book.

Any reply is good in my opinion, though. Keep plugging away! :)

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trchelle.com
Did it really say [your story] or did it have the name of your book there and you added that? I would be kinda mad if they just said "your story" and not the name of my book.
It was the actual title of my book. And the name of my character. And, of course, my name in the salutation. I just took that information out because I don't want to leave too many tracks before I get published. :tongue

Even though it was a rejection, I thought it was pretty cool that this person actually took the time to compliment my writing.

~JM.

Oh, and Callalily, I sent out five fresh queries the very same day I got the letter. :)

Last edited:

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'd smile too! Rarely does an agent take time to send a personal note...and she/he said such nice things about your work! Congratulations!!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
That seems like a very nice rejection! I'm not actually positive that it's personalized, but it seems like the agent wouldn't mention your character's name otherwise. Either way, you have a great attitude and good luck with your next queries!

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trchelle.com
That seems like a very nice rejection! I'm not actually positive that it's personalized, but it seems like the agent wouldn't mention your character's name otherwise.
Well, that and this particular agent is definitely too important to blow smoke up some unknown writer's butt by saying she admires my talent if she doesn't mean it. Personally, I took it to mean that this rejection was about personal preference and not about the writing itself. Since my biggest worry was that everyone would think my writing sucks, that was a relief to me.

~JM.

Status
Not open for further replies.