Why would an agent ask this...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request this afternoon and agent wants email attatched copy and wants me to also send hard copy.

Why can't they just print it out? :shrugs:
Should I just wait and see before sending hard copy?

Reaction score
Because they want it in both formats and can't afford to print out everyone's manuscript themselves (think of the reams they would use!) ?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because they want it in both formats and can't afford to print out everyone's manuscript themselves (think of the reams they would use!) ?
Snap, thank you sweetie--I'll get to post. :D

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but why doesn't the agent read the 1st ten pages to see if they like it 1st? :shrugs: The post is going to be a week behind the email???

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agent

I got a request this afternoon and agent wants email attatched copy and wants me to also send hard copy.

Why can't they just print it out? :shrugs:
Should I just wait and see before sending hard copy?

Bluntly? Because few agents are rich, and because there's no reason on earth for a writer to complain about this. If the agent wants both, then send both, and don't be the kind of contrary pain in the butt agents and editors both hate working with.

Assume the agent has a reason, and either send her what she wants, the way she wants it, or go find an agent who does things in a way YOU approve of.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bluntly? Because few agents are rich, and because there's no reason on earth for a writer to complain about this. If the agent wants both, then send both, and don't be the kind of contrary pain in the butt agents and editors both hate working with.

Assume the agent has a reason, and either send her what she wants, the way she wants it, or go find an agent who does things in a way YOU approve of.
Bluntly you ask? How about this James....This is the ask the agent forum and I am asking the agent... trying to learn...ANDS IT DOESN"T MEAN I WANT TO BE DIFFICULT!
ETA: another thing... when you answer like that it makes people hesitate to ask questions for fear of the response like yours: please be nice.

Last edited:

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
This is only a guess, but most of the time at my office (not publishing), when people want both an electronic copy and a hard copy, they want them as backup for each other. That way, if one goes missing, they can be sure to have the other. Given how often agents admit to losing track of submissions in the various agent blogs I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if it were as simple as that.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is only a guess, but most of the time at my office (not publishing), when people want both an electronic copy and a hard copy, they want them as backup for each other. That way, if one goes missing, they can be sure to have the other. Given how often agents admit to losing track of submissions in the various agent blogs I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if it were as simple as that.
Thank you Claudia--As this was the first time requested as such I was naturally curious. :)

jthome1223

Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi's right, James. There is no need to be nasty. Even if that wasn't your intent, that's exactly how you come across. I've noticed this about you on several other threads, as well. She was simply asking a question. It would be nice if you would show some common courtesy. It doesn't cost anything to be polite, and you easily could have made your opinion known in a more civilized manner.

By the way, Kimmi never asked for a blunt answer. You posed the question yourself, seemingly so you could spew your vitriol.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question, (though it seems you already got plenty of answers...no matter how rudely) but I wanted to say good luck! :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but why doesn't the agent read the 1st ten pages to see if they like it 1st?
My guess is they'll only read hardcopy (submitted by the author, as they barely have time to read them much less print them), then if they decide to buy it they have an electonic copy to give the publisher for formatting and such without having it OCR'ed or typed back in.
:shrugs: The post is going to be a week behind the email???
Someone with the connections and power to help get you published asks to read your work, wants copies in two forms, and you're asking why? I always heard "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and I'd spend a few extra dollars to send it Priority so it gets there in 2-3 days rather than in a week. Though I admit I might not say that or be so excited after sending out the 50th copy to the 50th agent/publisher.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
when you answer like that it makes people hesitate to ask questions for fear of the response like yours: please be nice.

Normally, I never respond while people were having a discussion, but I do have to agree wholeheartedly with this. The other day, there was a thread about formatting. I was surprised to see you shouldn't justify as I have been doing it all along and been doing fine. I was glad to learn it though. So, I just responded saying, Hm, that's interesting. Why aren't you supposed to justify? It seems easier to read. It was more conversational than anything. I tried to carefully word everything so no one would get snappy with me, then I prefaced it and included smilies and everything. All things I shouldn't have to worry about. And, wouldn't you know it, I got a nasty response right off the bat - Why must I INSIST on doing something an agent doesn't want?!

Anyway... sorry to interrupt this thread. This IS kind of a strange thing to request. I would have asked about it too!

Last edited:

alisarish

Be honest..
Registered
Reaction score
Hi

A friend, HR head, about 7 years ago advertised 4 vacancies in the newspaper, to his horror, he received more than 8000 applications. He was totally confused and expressed his tension during a cigarette break (They were not allowed to smoke within the office premises). I told him to simply draw job and personal skill profiles (Main attributes) and assign this task to few juniors to segregate resumes based on those few very important and essential attributes required for the job. After a few days they were left with applications from candidates who actually were to be called for the initial interview.

That is what happens when resumes (In this case manuscripts) do not comply with job skill profiles (In this case submission guidelines), and those not fulfilling the requirements might be ignored, no matter how good they may be.

It is highly recommended to strictly follow the submission guidelines. Your observation is right, in today's world people should rely more on electronic file sharing instead of relying on snail mail. But, empathize and think from a successful publishers or agents persepective, they probably receive hundreds of manuscripts, so understand their viewpoint and be kind to help them. Wish you all the best. Cheers

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score

My old office was the same way. I wouldn't be at all surprised for this to be the reason. Kind of a good idea, actually. I'm surprised more agents wouldn't do it that way.

And remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)