Rocky Balboa

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I was a huge fan of the older rocky movies, but I got to say this last one really sucked. I saw it on DVD.

I remember in the older movies, the guys Rocky faught were hardened chisled bad asses.
Mason Dixon on this movie resembled neither.
Infact I thought he looked like he should be dancing back up in a video with Britney Spears.
Plus, the punnches that they were throwing, incredibly weak, not like the all out thunderous angs of the earlier movies.
Plus, nobody got knocked out. Usually somebody always gets knocked out in a Rocky movie.
This movie sucked.

It had way to much of a feel good attitude to it, and that doesn't become a Rocky movie.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Dang.

I would have thought basketball or something. He just doesn't look like he has that hard edge to him, not like Mr T(Clubber Lang)did or that guy from Russia he fought.
he's got to much of a boyish look about him, like Dwayne Wade. Wade's a great basketball player, but he wouldn't striek fear in my heart in a fight.

Funny thing about that is that the guy who played Mason Dixon is actually a professional boxer.

Huh.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Movie

I thought this was the best since number 1. And by a wide margin. And like the first movie, this is the only one that's been the least bit realistic.

My feeling is that the first one and the last one are for people who like good, character driven, literary movies, and the ones between are for those who like comic book type movies.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
In all honesty, it looked mostly like a shot-for-shot remake of the first one. Given the near archetypal quality of the first one, I figure that has a lot to do with the quality of this one.

Of course, that's based on watching it without sound on a transcontinental flight to L.A., so that's probably not the most informed opinion.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Dang.

I would have thought basketball or something. He just doesn't look like he has that hard edge to him, not like Mr T(Clubber Lang)did or that guy from Russia he fought.
he's got to much of a boyish look about him, like Dwayne Wade. Wade's a great basketball player, but he wouldn't striek fear in my heart in a fight.

This is not the fault of Rocky, so much as the sad state of American boxing in the heavyweight division. Big men that size and strength, who are smart, get into pro football these days.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this one. And I'm a huge fan of the entire Rocky series. I thought they did it very well and didn't try to pretend he wasn't as old as he really is. If they had tried to play it like he was actually only in his early 40's or something, I would have been disappointed.

It's definitely one of my favorites of the 6 movies. :)

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
well, i could understnd everyboyelse liking it. To me myself, it just seemed to lack the former magic.

Oh and Dclary, I didn't know there was still boxing in America.

Reaction score
I thought this was the best since number 1. And by a wide margin. And like the first movie, this is the only one that's been the least bit realistic.

My feeling is that the first one and the last one are for people who like good, character driven, literary movies, and the ones between are for those who like comic book type movies.

Rocky Balboa was awesome.

And it did well financially and critically.

And I congrtulate Sylvester Stallone for going out on a high note with the Rocky franchise.

Yo, Sly, you did it.

Love,
Billy

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living lik
Website
www.trchelle.com
Rocky Balboa was awesome.

Co-signing. :tongue I really enjoyed it (watched it on DVD a few days ago), and ol' Rocky said something in it that I really needed to hear: "It's not about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and still keep going." Probably not those exact words, but... that whole speech really made me think about how I've handled certain things in my life. And I loved the movie's ending.

~JM.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
got a question.

There was a pphrase in the movie bwteen Dixon's manager's in Rocky's diner about what would have happened if Dixon had met Rocky in his prime.

I didn't quite hear that.

Did they say Rocky would kill Dixon, or Dixon kill Rocky still?

Kiester

I love lamp.
Registered
Reaction score
Well yes, obviously Rocky would win...

Dixon can't box to save his life, seriously! He just does Fluff-Punching!

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought.

If Rocky was able to pretty much fight him to to toe, and deal out a lot of punishment in that fight, think of how much he would have killed dixon in his prime when he knocked out Clubber Lang or the Russian guy.

Reaction score
Yes.

Rocky would have destroyed Mason "The Line" Dixon when he was in his prime.

He would have been one of the bums that Mickey set him up to fight because he was protecting him.

"Nah, they wasn't fixes! They was bums! Has beens. I was protectin ya. That's my job."

"For a forty minute fight, you gotta train for forty towsand minutes. Forty towsand. ANd you ain't trained one!!"

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
What I can't figure out is why Mickey thought that when he obviously beat Appalo Creed,a nd dam near beat him the first time around.

Creed was one chump either. Rocky didn't need protecting, he was just fine.

Creed believed in Rocky more than his own manager, but ya rocky would have destroyed Dixon.

Yes.

Rocky would have destroyed Mason "The Line" Dixon when he was in his prime.

He would have been one of the bums that Mickey set him up to fight because he was protecting him.

"Nah, they wasn't fixes! They was bums! Has beens. I was protectin ya. That's my job."

"For a forty minute fight, you gotta train for forty towsand minutes. Forty towsand. ANd you ain't trained one!!"

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
This is not the fault of Rocky, so much as the sad state of American boxing in the heavyweight division. Big men that size and strength, who are smart, get into pro football these days.

Interesting point. The fact is, if you've got that kind of athletic talent, your chances of not ending up brain-damaged and drooling in a wheelchair at age 44 are much better if you go for football, basketball, or any other sport besides boxing. No wonder it was a much bigger sport in the early part of the century, when it was pretty much this or baseball -- and MLB didn't allow blacks.

As for Rocky Balboa, I'm with Jamesa, and anyone else who says it was 2nd best after the original. The original still hits harder than anything else, and it made its points in a more subtle, gentle manner -- but this one harkens back to that in a number of ways, such as this:

--the antagonist. Apollo Creed, at least as portrayed in Rocky, wasn't a bad guy. A bit of a clownish, grandstanding showman of course, but not a bad person. Mason Dixon is an arrogant dude with a bit of an entitlement complex and an ego, but not a bad guy. When you make a movie with a cartoon villain, it limits your ability to explore characters. Clubber Lang is a lot of fun, but he's a cartoon, and unfortunately contains a bit of ugly racial stereotyping. Drago is even worse in that regard, although it's more just red-baiting.

--nods to the first movie. I can't tell you how thrilling it was to see Spider Rico again, but even more so that they made him a real person. A guy like him would probably still be hanging out around Rocky, being an ex-boxer, and that they made him a generous and religious man later in life strikes me as a true characterization as well. It wasn't just a jokey one-off "Hey look at that goofball!" kind of thing. The ending of course has a similar kind of feel as well.

--the acting. Damn it if Stallone gives a decent performance again after years of crapola (CopLand excepted). The rest of the cast s fine as well.

--killing off Adrian. This movie doesn't work with her in it. He doesn't get back in the ring with her still alive, and the movie wouldn't have the same poignancy. Rockys III and IV gave themselves over to cheap emotions too much (Mick dies, Apollo dies), whereas this, it doesn't, because you know how much he felt for Adrian, how she was his rock, really - not the other way around - and how he's been cast adrift in a lot of ways.

--Duke's speech. "So we're gonna have to rely on something else - blunt force trauma."

The computer fight is goofy, for sure, which is the thing that sets it all in motion. And there's an inconsistency or two in Paulie's behavior, coming into the restaurant drunk, and then a minute later saying Rocky's gonna be fine and it'll all be cool and such.

But this one comes closer to the first than any of the others.

T Knight

Registered
Reaction score
It was a slow ride, not hard hitting like the others, but if your a fan of the films then you will totally understand and know it is actually an excellent end to the Rocky story. Although I would say I would have liked to have seen a slightly beefier apponant, and maybe Rocky die in the ring or something like that?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i was one of the biggest naysayers before this came out, but i ended up really enjoying it.

it taught me that you dont need to be articulate to win.

you just need lots of heart and some good music.

i hope to integrate those lessons into a successful writing career.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally just watched Rocky Balboa. I didn't see it until now because I had never seen the originals, so I went back and watched them.

I gotta say, I was really impressed with this movie. Not only did the character of Rocky mature, I think Stallone really matured as an actor and a writer. It was interesting to watch the deleted scenes - it was like looking at the same process we go through in writing novels. "Does this scene work? Does it contribute to the plot? Will the narrative stand if I take it out?"

Anyway, awesome job, Sly.

Now I gotta go watch the Rambo movies so I can see the new one.