PDA

View Full Version : What a boost!

Calla Lily
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
And totally unexpected. I entered a "first chapter" contest sometime in December? January? Absolutely don't remember. Cost a few bucks, but I needed professional input on the best way to grab an agent by the throat with chapter 1.

Got an email yesterday with the subject line: "Opinions-[title]" Oh crap, I thought, this is Samhain's rejection. Took a deep breath, sucked it all up, and clicked. Instead, it was a Word doc with three detailed crits--and, well, one of them glowed! :banana: All three said they'd keep reading, yay!

Sandwiched between, they ponted out spots that dragged, places where a bit more description would improve the setting, and how to tweak the end of chapter 1 to improve the grab-it-ness.

I'd just gotten 2 rejections, one of which pointed out the less-than-grabbiness of chapter 1. I was pretty sure what to fix, and now I know.

And, yep, I was sliding into another valley of "I suck, I suck, I totally suck."

I guess I don't suck! :Sun:

The Scip
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Congrats thats some good news!

David McAfee
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Sweet! WTG! I'm a little confused, though...did Samhain hold a contest?

Claudia Gray
04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Sounds like you got great feedback!

Calla Lily
04-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Sweet! WTG! I'm a little confused, though...did Samhain hold a contest?

No, I subbed to them in February when their window was still open. (Trying not to obsess about that one...it's not working...)

This feedback was from a different place entirely.

Arisa81
04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Congrats ! :)