Writer/agent etiquette please?

writerdave

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if someone could help me out with advice/opinions. I sent out my non-fiction query to numerous agents, including one of the top agents in my genre. This agent requested and received a proposal and sample chapter 6 weeks ago, but I haven't heard back yet despite one followup email.

Meanwhile, another agency just expressed interest in representing me (great news!), but it is not my top choice.

What is your opinion about contacting the preferred agency now and asking for a final answer before moving to the second-choice agency?

Thanks!

-David

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
I would thank Agency B (second choice) for their interest in representing you, then ask for references from current clients, perhaps a sample copy of their contract (if they have one), and maybe a few words about how they would work with you so that you can decide if you're compatible. Then promise to have your answer by x date (a week or two), all the while reassuring them of your excitement at being a chosen one.

Then you can call or email Agency A (first choice) and let them know you've received an offer of representation and ask them what they have decided.

Then you'll know where you stand. As long as you didn't promise either agency an exclusive, they assume other agents are looking at your stuff, and it's no surprise to anyone that you want to make the best choice for yourself, and to do that you need as much information as you can get.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on the offer of representation!

Jennifer Lawler

writerdave

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Jennifer. Thank you very much for the great advice. I also checked out the post that DeadlyAccurate provided, indicating that I failed at rule #1 of discussion boards: Use the search feature!

Thanks!
-David

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I also checked out the post that DeadlyAccurate provided, indicating that I failed at rule #1 of discussion boards: Use the search feature!

Nah, no biggie. I'm not even sure what search terms would've brought it up. Only reason I remembered it was because I posted to the thread. I was going to recreate what I'd said, but I thought you might find the whole thread useful.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I would thank Agency B (second choice) for their interest in representing you, then ask for references from current clients, perhaps a sample copy of their contract (if they have one), and maybe a few words about how they would work with you so that you can decide if you're compatible.
Don't ask for references. Agents don't give out contact information for their clients. They assume you know this, so asking for references will make you seem inexperienced and unprepared.

An agent's track record of sales stands in lieu of references. Do ask for a list of recent sales, if you can't find this information elsewhere--for instance, on the agency's website. This is a legitimate request and a reputable agent shouldn't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't ask for a sample contract either. If you get an offer from Agent A, it's a moot point. If you don't, you'll see the contract anyway, and will then have a chance to assess and negotiate it.

I agree that you should contact Agent A, tell them you've had an offer, and ask if they might be willing to speed up their consideration process. The problem: they only have a partial, and would need a full in order to make a decision. In those circumstances I think you're likely to get a no, but it's worth a try.

- Victoria

writerdave

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I generally followed the advice, emailing both Agent A (my preferred) and Agent B (who made the offer).

With B, after indicating my excitement and interest, I offered to arrange a phone call in the next day or so to discuss the contract and other matters.

With A, I asked if she'd had a chance to review the proposal/chapter, and explained that I'd received another offer. Have they made any decisions. Etc. As a nonfiction book, it would seem not to require a full for a decision to be made. I don't have a full of this manuscript, but I have another book (published a decade ago by Penguin) to my credit.

It's been a couple of hours and I haven't heard back from either.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

-David

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Don't ask for references. Agents don't give out contact information for their clients. They assume you know this, so asking for references will make you seem inexperienced and unprepared.

I have to respectfully disagree with this, Victoria. I've seen several agents say it's acceptable to them if, ONCE YOU HAVE AN OFFER, you ask for a few client names as references. The key issue there is after you have an offer, not before. Of course, the agents are only going to give you the contact information for those clients who have agreed to this, and chances are the clients chosen will only have good things to say about the agent. But it can give you a better feel for the agent's working style and whether you both would be a good fit.

Reference for this opinion: Miss Snark had the following to say on one of her posts: "When an agent offers you representation you say very nicely "I'm thrilled. May I contact some of your clients to make sure you're not a scuzzbucket". I give out client emails at that point (but not before) and only of those clients who've said "sure" when I've asked if they'll be willing to speak to prospects about the Wonders of Snarkistan." (http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2007/03/tracking-down-agent-references.html)

Last edited:

writerdave

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anybody's interested in an update, but I said I would post one if something happened.

I heard back from Agent A later in the day, asking me to give her until Friday for a response. Just a few minutes ago, she emailed me back with what appears to be a form rejection. Actually, upon reading it again, it clearly is a form rejection (nicely worded, though) about the challenges of today's market, we take on only a few clients, good luck, etc. No specific mention of my actual proposal or sample.

Oh well. I have a call scheduled with Agent B tomorrow morning, where I'll ask about her track record and possibly client references if it seems appropriate.

There is an Agent C on the horizon who is reviewing my partial (remember, this is non-fiction). I've alerted her to the urgency of communication, so maybe that will end positively and I'll have two offers. A guy can hope.

Thanks again for your support and advice.

-David

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I have to respectfully disagree with this, Victoria. I've seen several agents say it's acceptable to them if, ONCE YOU HAVE AN OFFER, you ask for a few client names as references.
Hmmm. I've seen a lot of comments that indicate the opposite. I know it's something my agent never does. Could be this is something that's changing (possibly among younger agents?) I guess it's a case by case situation--some agents will say yes, but I think many will refuse.

- Victoria

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Hmmm. I've seen a lot of comments that indicate the opposite. I know it's something my agent never does. Could be this is something that's changing (possibly among younger agents?) I guess it's a case by case situation--some agents will say yes, but I think many will refuse.

- Victoria

Could be. I definitely share your opinion that it's imperative writers do a ton of research on agents BEFORE they query them, which means they should already know who the agent represents and what books they've sold. I guess it's just a decision each writer has to make on whether they should ask for such a list of references or not.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
I mentioned references because my former non-fiction agent asked me to be a reference for her, and I was happy to oblige. Basically it was a way for potential clients to learn what it was like to work with her and what they could expect.

This may be a difference between fiction and non-fiction, but the non-fiction agents I know are happy to provide references after they've offered representation.

Jennifer Lawler

writerdave

Registered
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I ended up signing with Agent B. Although they were my second choice, I was impressed with their obvious desire to work with me, the speed and thoroughness of their communication and their professionalism. I did my research and decided this was the best decision for me. I feel they're going to work hard for my book.

Of course, my choices were limited. Agent A declined altogether, so that avenue was closed. Agent C expressed mild interest and wanted a few more days to consider the proposal. I gave her that opportunity, but it has now been six days and she hasn't even responded to my two emails. I fear that as an author I would be similarly kept waiting for replies to messages and such. Who needs that aggravation?

I'm very excited to start selling the book, and I hope to have great news in the coming months.

-David