To Hugh or not to Hugh?

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
I actually really hated that movie. Aside from the fact that I really, really can't stand Hugh Grant (who plays Hugh Grant in every movie) or Drew Barrymore, it just wasn't funny. The nostalgia was good, and so was the throwback to the 80s music though. But, honestly, I did not laugh even once. And I feel like Drew's character had the worst inroduction in modern film. She was obnoxiously annoying when we first met her, and really didn't get much better.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's a stock romantic comedy. I think Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore were perfectly charming in it, but it's a cliched story with cheesy dialogue. Good to take a date, though, but it's really just fluff -- things that Hugh Grant does very well lately. But I kind of miss his early-day dramatic work -- he was REALLY good as a dramatic actor. But he's been typecast as a rom-com guy for way too long now. In a way, I think he's making fun of himself in Music & Lyrics.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably catch it on video. It's not the type of thing I fork over theatre money for, but it's probably worth a Saturday rental. Sounds like a good cuddle movie for me and hubby.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was gonna be about Hugh Jackman.

Or Hugh Laurie.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it with three other women (our ages range from 37-49), and all four of us laughed our asses off. Yeah, it was cheesy, but if you liked any 80's music, or have ever loved a band you'll find you can relate to the ridiculousness of the whole crazy screaming fan thing! It brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.:D

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I love Hugh Grant. He's very cute and I do love that accent! However I didn't think much of the movie. Apart from a few funny lines ("why would you have a clown in your bed?") it was a bit predictable and not terribly exciting.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My favorite Hugh is 9 months. But that could be because the supporting cast is so great around him. One of Tom Arnold's best.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hugh Grant is at this moment having dinner in the public part of the members' club where I work. I'd pass on your opinions of his work, but I owe Morgan Stanley too much money.

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"About a Boy" is one of my favorite comedies. I thought he was great in that, though it's probably because it was the perfect role for him.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
hi
I have not seen the movie. I will wait until it is out on DVD and there is nothing else in the shop worth renting.
BTW - I do like About a Boy.

This has ALL been done before and mostly by HG himself. If I am not mistaken it is the same writer & director who has made these movies. These things just didn't do anything for me!

# 80's one hit wonder - About a boy HG living off his dad's one hit wonder.
# Song writer - The Wedding singer
# Been a complete out of touch ass - Most of HG movies.

etc, etc

Maybe if they had changed it to a heavy metal singer who falls in love and mellows by singing ballads maybe I could have gone with that!

Kev

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
All I can say about H. Grant is: he can put some smoke on a tupperware container full of baked beans.

Perhaps he should try baseball movies.

peg

Greeting Cardiologist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This has ALL been done before and mostly by HG himself. If I am not mistaken it is the same writer & director who has made these movies.

Oh well, what do the British know about writing drama and comedy. There was, what-was-his-name, the to-be-or-not-to-be guy?

Richard Curtis was the screenwriter for 4 Weddings (the reading of Auden at the funeral alone is worth the price of admission), Notting Hill, and Love Actually. What a loser.

One of my favorites is Two Weeks Notice with Sandra Bullock. No Christmas of ours is complete without watching Love Actually.

peg

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Grant

I like Hugh Grant. I haven't seen him do anything that wasn't excellently acted. And this was, for me, a very good, funny movie.