Because you never know who's reading your stuff online...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this to, but I want to share it with everyone -- just in case this happens to you!

I have a blog (doesn't everybody?). I try to post Monday through Friday on interesting subjects. Yesterday, I posted about the new British reality show that's being billed as the "American Idol for writers" -- because it's like American Idol but for writers, and because Simon Cowell's brother, Tony Cowell, who is a British author, is running the joint.

Myself, not being an admirer of reality television, found this concept a Very Bad Idea. I said so, right on my blog: it would be boring, why do writers need another way to humiliate themselves, Tony doesn't like writers, etc., ad nauseum. That was yesterday.

Today, Tony Cowell left a comment on my blog. Open mouth, insert foot.

It seems Tony is nothing like his abrasive brother... he's actually quite a nice man. If I had done a little more looking around before I spouted off about the show, I would have known this. Tony explained (very nicely) what the show is really about: it's not only to get people published, but it's also to give all aspiring writers some insights into the publishing industry, much like Miss Snark.

Tomorrow, I will offer a sincere apology and hope that somehow, Tony will see it. Lesson learned: from now on, I'll not post to the blog in a fit of pique, and look at all sides of the story before I formulate an opinion.

Sheesh... excuse me while I crawl under a rock. :gone:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Wow - what a great story!

Yes, I have to remember that every time I post something here, on my blog, or *anywhere* online, it could be read by anyone - fans, employers, celebrities, my husband, anyone.

It was very nice of Mr Cowell to come in and correct your perception. And it's very handsome of you to let us know about it, too!

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
So will moving to England increase my chances of becoming published?

La at least he was nice about it no? And you corrected your error. Can we trade brothers since the one you have is nicer?

All in good fun. I'm sure it will all work out.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
It was very nice of him. Shockingly nice. Scandalously nice, even! :D

Yeah, I learned. Think I just said to someone the other day: I'm always sticking my foot in my mouth, and I never have any ketchup. *sigh*

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All of us have tasted shoe leather at one time or another, some more often than others as my wife keeps reminding me. ;)

In your case, it seems to have turned out rather well. So count your blessings, you have now entered into a conversation with Tony Cowell, which is pretty darn cool. If his endeavour turns out to be as good as it appears to be at this point, you can easily make amends for your faux-pas by throwing your support behind him. He sounds like the kind of fella that would appreciate it.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! :D That's Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun Gaara from Naruto. An awesome character.

ETA: Thanks, Chunky... it is pretty awesome, I have heard from Tony Cowell!

Last edited:

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
So there wont be any ripping apart or throwing in the bin the contestants' written pages if the judges don't like it?

I'm asking because I haven't heard of the show before.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
AI

I think it's always wise to wait and see. But I love Simon Cowell's attitude. I don't think he's mean, I think he's honest. And a judge for a writer version of American Idol had better be willing to say a writer couldn't write a grocery list without help.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I just went to your blog. Screw the contest; congrats on the representation! Woot!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Siddow! I'm very excited about it.

LOL I can't enter the contest anyway. :D But I do wish Tony Cowell much luck, and I will apologize (gotta leave my current post up for today, though...)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I love Simon Cowell's attitude. I don't think he's mean, I think he's honest.
I have to disagree with part of that. Yes, he's honest. But he's also unnecessarily cruel. I stopped watching that show because I got sick and tired of him belittling people who did not deserve it. Calling someone a loser just because they can't sing?

No, you can tell someone they're not good enough without being a prick about it. And yes I know he does it because it garners viewers.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The brits are pretty good actually at these contest type of reality shows. They were the ones who came up with a whole series of finding new talent. First it was about finding a new opera singer, then musical theatre performer, and then playwright. All these contests, though on the surface seeming like American Idol, were actually very tastefully done. The actual series itself was filmed in a quiet sort of way with a lot of emphasis on the craft, and the winners actually, well, deserved to win and were ridiculously talented. The musical theatre one had 5 winners and they got to perform as the leads in one night of Chicago, and did a totally professional job of it (one of the girls who won then got the lead in a West End show). The playwright one was very risky because not only did a playwright win, but a producer was putting on her show in the West End with a full cast and full everything, including full run. So it was a huge risk on everyone's behalf.

I guess my point is, if anyone was going to do an American Idol for writers, the brits could probably pull it off (I mean after all, that's also where the Idol was born in the first place!)

Congrats on the representation too, sw! That's awesome!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Toothpaste! :D

I agree, Chunky - I haven't watched much of American Idol, and Simon Cowell really is abrasive. He's like Howard Stern for singers (I will never, ever forget watching Howard Stern make Richard Simmons cry. That was just awful.)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree with part of that. Yes, he's honest. But he's also unnecessarily cruel. I stopped watching that show because I got sick and tired of him belittling people who did not deserve it. Calling someone a loser just because they can't sing?

Not only that...his pathetic attempts at cleverness are becoming more cringeworthy than the bad singers. It simply is not enjoyable to watch, because not only is he mean, but he's not funny. Almost painfully so.

I think the worst thing about him is the way he tells young girls, who are of a perfectly healthy size, they need to lose weight, but he never seems to say that to the males.

I'm glad to hear that his brother is different.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, simon cowell woudn't know good music from his own inflated ego. Seriously. He knows nothing about music.

All he can do is pretend that he does and that his attitude will convince people that he is some kind of authority, which in reality he is not. Being an ass doesn't automatically make you an expert. And if playing the bad guy for the camera is what is considered honesty nowadays . . . ugh.

Anyway, this is precisely why I don't bother with a blog (why do they call it that? It's just a website!), aside from the amount of time it would take from my writing.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I dunno, RG. I do all right with blogging and writing. :D I do have reasons beyond the usual... since I have some books out and coming out through e-pubs, it lets me keep in touch with readers. Different strokes and all!

Plus, I got to talk to Tony Cowell. Sort of. Even if I did make an idiot of myself. :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I will never, ever forget watching Howard Stern make Richard Simmons cry. That was just awful.)
Never saw that, but heard about it. I always thought Stern was a jackass, but that settled the question for good.

And let me add my congrats on your representation. Huzzah!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! :D Yeah, that Richard Simmons thing was bad. He's such a sweetie, and to see him that upset (for another person, not even for himself!) just broke my heart.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
...why do they call it that? It's just a website!...

web + log = blog

A personal website is usually more static as far as the content it provides - a blog allows you to change the content rather easily on a daily basis. The usual caveats being that there are all kinds of websites and all kinds of blogs and YMMV.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Are you certain it was Tony Cowell who posted?

LOL! I'd considered that. You really never can tell. But the comment seemed genuine and articulate, and I honestly don't know why anyone would make a nice comment while claiming to be someone else.

It's possible, of course. Who can ever be sure? Maybe I'm not really who I say I am. I might, in fact, be Marilyn Manson (and for the record, I wasn't in The Wonder Years.) :D

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Well, maybe he'll come to my blog, 'cause I'm going to blog about it too. Sounds like an absolutely absurd idea. Can you imagine anything more boring that writers pitching their book ideas? Not to mention, pitching and writing have nothing to do with one another.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.