Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christopher Mcgurn or Paul Mcgurn.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
I've used a pseudonym when writing in a tone that was more edgy and scathing than my usual tone, saying things that I didn't quite agree with 100%.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've used a couple of pseudonyms before. Mostly when I write outside my genres... I submitted a horror piece using a pen name, but when I got the contract, I changed my mind and decided to use my real name.

Although I don't write erotica (yet), I presume I will use a pen name if I do. Just so I don't get stalkers.

(back away, Scarlet -- I say, back away.)

Merry

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't used any pseudonyms yet, but I will be because I write in different genres and some of those I'll keep separate e.g. erotica vs YA - I wouldn't have the same name on the books for those categories.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not published in fiction yet, but I plan to use a pseudonym. I just don't like my name being used in any fashion except to give me money.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
I hope I never have to. I'm too fond of my own name (yeah, I'm that narcissistic). But I know that circumstances might make a pen name necessary, so I've tucked away a couple that I like, for safekeeping.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A related question: How do your family and parents, etc. feel about you using a pen name and not your real name, especially your last name?

Reminds me of the Pulitzer-winning novel (now a movie) "Namesake." What's in a name? How important is it? Do you feel something is missing, such as pride, if you don't use your real name? Or do you think it's just another thing to call yourself, as long as it serves a purpose?

annie.rushden

Blooming Idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annierushden.blogspot.com
This is a pseudonym. Because Claire and I must hide until her transition is complete, I cannot use my real name when I write anything connected to her transgender status.

My dilemma is this - I want to write for papers and/or magazines to get some pub credits, but I don't know if I should establish as the pseudonym or my real name. Quite a pickle. :)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sign with each of them fifty to a hundred times, see which one your shoulder tolerates best when you're done.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Consider what will fit and in how large a font on the front of a mass market paperback when you make the big-time.

You may want to lose "Christopher" now, before name recognition is a factor, simply because while it's a fine name, it limits how largely your name can be splashed across the front of your novel.

I find C.P. (with periods) Mcgurn (really, no capitalization on the G?) more memorable than Paul Mcgurn.

Don't forget that you also have the option of inventing a name unrelated to your real name, kind of like Maryn Bittner.

[not] Maryn

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I used the name Robert Goldberg for a sci-fi story that failed to get published anyway, but the name still amuses me no end.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I've been told a few times that because I have a last name like "Tzinski," I will need a pen name or no one will remember me.

I figure, I live in a world where Joe Straczynski does okay. I can get by with mine.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Ray, it's wise to use a pen name for erotica.

I haven't had an out-and-out stalker, but some of my edgier material sold online has prompted people to divulge some genuinely sick fantasies via email. (What, they think I'm a kindred soul and will appreciate their interest in that?) You'll be glad your erotica audience hasn't got a clue how to find you unless your limit yourself to plain vanilla, no sprinkles or sauce.

Maryn, five ice creams, five toppings

Status
Not open for further replies.