TWIN PEAKS- Season 2

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Finally out today.

How long has it been waiting for this set? Six years after Season 1?

Damn this was a good show.

David Lynch definitely benefitted from the constraints of television.

I wish he would make another series.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Don't watch this unless you've seen all of season 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBuDOwAWbmc&NR=1

It contains a spoiler.

It's funnier if you wanted the show when it was on. But anybody who has seen Twin Peaks will probably appreciate it.

Lantern Jack and I just watched the Season 1 finale last night. I can't wait to show him Season 2!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! LOVE Twin Peaks. I like the creepieness and dread that oozed from the show with even the most benign things--like the traffic light in the wind.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
I'm with you, jodiodi! I totally dug Twin Peaks -- it was one of the few shows I would make time for and watch religiously. When they re-ran it on the Bravo channel about ten years ago, I recorded every episode, with those completely whacked out Log Lady introductions.

I dunno, though, I kinda consider it finished. I mean, I agree it would have been better had Lynch done as he had initially planned and never revealed Laura's killer. But when it became obvious they were gonna pull the plug--and when the network treated him so shabbily--I loved that Lynch took a complete f-you attitude to the shows in the final season. He managed to set up a completely creepy backstory and mythology while at the same time getting crazier and crazier with some of the characters. And the final moment of the last episode . . . well, while I never see it listed among the Best Television Cliffhangers of All Time, it darn well should be.

Never did get into the Fire Walk With Me film, though....

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I didn't expect that last bit in the series. But it was effective. Even my daddy watched the show and loved it.

One of my most memorable moments:

When David Duchovny's character asks Kyle McLachlen's Agent Cooper about Audrey and how sexy she was, and Cooper is somewhat skeptical that Duchovny would find her attractive. DD replies: "I may wear a dress, but I still put my pantyhose on one leg at a time."

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
ooooo i loved this -- but... um the first series had to have been more than 6 years ago?? i've been gone for 10, and i remember watching this way before that...

can't get it here though :(

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I agree it would have been better had Lynch done as he had initially planned and never revealed Laura's killer.

I never thought so. I thought the story was never really about who killed her, but what was behind it, and you couldn't get to that until you knew who killed her. It identifies the difference between the psychological reading of Twin Peaks, and the supernatural reading. The conversation Truman and Cooper have in that episode is a perfect illustration of that--Truman can't believe that something supernatual has happened, but Cooper points out that it isn't any easier to believe that a man would do this on his own.

But when it became obvious they were gonna pull the plug--and when the network treated him so shabbily--I loved that Lynch took a complete f-you attitude to the shows in the final season.

I don't think the network was really treating him shabbily. Twin Peaks was one of the highest rated prime time shows, but ratings were falling off. It's not uncommon for the network to come down on the writers if the ratings are dropping. The network wanted a resolution of the Laura Palmer murder, mainly because Lynch and Frost kept claiming the storyline would be resolved, and it wasn't. They were claiming, at the time, that the first episode of Season 2 would solve the mystery. I just watching it last night, and even knowing who did it, I still don't think it is revealed in that episode at all.

Then Lynch left in the middle of Season 2, and the show became worse than daytime television without him. Then he came back toward the end, and it got good again, but it was too late.

Also, season 2 would have ended the way it did whether there had been a season 3 or not. The show was put on indefinite hiatus, and after a letter writing campaign, the network decided to bring it back for 6 more episodes. When they filmed the final episode, it was not known if there would be a season 3. If you watch the final episode of Season 1, you see that it has just as many cliffhangers as the series finale. And the end of season 1, the fates of Shelly, Leo, Catherine, Dr Jacoby, and Agent Cooper are all up in the air, and there are several other cliffhangers I won't mention because they are spoilers. But the point is, in retrospect, people seem to believe that Lynch deliberately killed off characters at the end of the series because he knew it was the end, but that was not the case.

Never did get into the Fire Walk With Me film, though....

Like most of us who watched the show when it was on. :) I think it's okay now, but I really hated it at first. I think part of it was that it wasn't like the show, and I expected it to be. The scary stuff wasn't mysterious, because I already knew who was doing it, and there was no quirky charm or humor. Also, I expected to learn more about the story, and it seemed to ignore a lot of what we learned about Laura from the series. It put in a bunch of stuff that was never mentioned before, like Teresa's ring, and Agent Desmond. Although I have found an appreciation for it, I can't understand why some people think it's brilliant. I guess it's different if you've never watched the show!

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
*salivates* Oooh gold edition. I am so on this! Now I don't feel so bad for losing out on Season 1 dvd set.

It even has a recipe for that famous cherry pie! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the good coffee recipe.

Jacob

Registered
Reaction score
Finally out today.

How long has it been waiting for this set? Six years after Season 1?

Damn this was a good show.

David Lynch definitely benefitted from the constraints of television.

I wish he would make another series.
Love David Lynch!" Eraserhead" just blew my mind. Im gonna go pick that up soon thanks for the news