PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

Pages : [1] 2

Soccer Mom
04-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The new season premieres tonight.

:e2woo:

Whose watching? I know I will be. The commercials make it look like the Time Bandit capsizes! It could just be editing, but it looks like another whopper of a season.

Bmwhtly
04-03-2007, 06:00 PM
:Shrug:

tourdeforce
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Is this the Paris Hilton STD dating show?

davids
04-03-2007, 06:19 PM
No -her calves are uglier than a King Crab

Bmwhtly
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
No -her calves are uglier than a King CrabCrabs have calves? how do they milk them with claws?

davids
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Bm what the hell do you think those frozen yogurt deckhands are doing? They train for years and have to wait a long long time to get a full share so in the meantime they are simply learning their trade-how to milk crab calves with frozen fingees-pity the damn crab will ya-just give us a break alright?

Lycius
04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Time Bandit capsizes then all those guys are dead.

What, 60 seconds in the water and you're hosed?

Bmwhtly
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Bm what the hell do you think those frozen yogurt deckhands are doing? They train for years and have to wait a long long time to get a full share so in the meantime they are simply learning their trade-how to milk crab calves with frozen fingees-pity the damn crab will ya-just give us a break alright?
*Sound of mind boggling*

davids
04-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I'll trade you three boggles for a milkable crab!

Lycius
04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
You positive you're milking it's leg??

davids
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Absolutely-one wanks weenies-one milks crab tits!

Christine N.
04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
My husband loves that show. I've seen most of the old episodes.

I can take it or leave it. Or just watch "A Perfect Storm" over and over.

Lycius
04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Never seen Perfect Storm. Is it worth downlo....renting?

PeeDee
04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I didn't like Perfect Storm. I really enjoy weather, but it felt like every two minutes....the storm happened.....again.

Now The Guardian was a seriously good movie. Best thing Ashton Kutcher's ever done.

I don't watch Deadliest Catch, I'm afraid.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I like Deadliest Catch, but I admit it's getting to be the same ol', same ol'.

Vincent
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Is this some fishing show?

zahra
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Is this some fishing show? (Sorry, Beez, but you summed it up for me). Should I watch out for it in England? Soccer Mom, come on, you've got us all excited, and you squealed and all, so give us a clue, love.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2007, 09:41 PM
It's on Discovery Channel. It's crab fishing and it's fantastic. The weather, the very real danger. In season one, a boat went down. :( Last year they had to fish up around the ice caps and they were moving down at a rapid rate. They had to keep taking breaks to smash all the ice that was forming on the deck or the weight would actually capsize the boats.
Crap. I'm not describing this very well. What a great writer I am.

This is better:

Here's a link to the fansite: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html

davids
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
It is a show just for the hell-a-but!

C.bronco
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I switch channels after they play the Bon Jovi song.
P.S. Hi Soccermom! Another good weekend for the Hendricks boys. What a photo finish! 117 laps for Jr. too.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I switch channels after they play the Bon Jovi song.
P.S. Hi Soccermom! Another good weekend for the Hendricks boys. What a photo finish! 117 laps for Jr. too.

My son was ecstatically happy. I, on the other hand, :rant: Second is good, but it should have been first.

PattiTheWicked
04-04-2007, 11:53 PM
I love Deadliest Catch. I heart the Hansen brothers.

My daughter has named me Crab Geek.

Soccer Mom
04-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Yay! Another Crab Geek. My son and I are addicted to the show. I adore the Hansens and I'm also partial to the crew of the Cornelia Marie.

zahra
04-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks, I shall watch out for it. I like seeing people in danger.

davids
04-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Lots of dead rotting deckhands with King Crabs eating their festering guts-HMMMM-no that's a damn show! Burp fart hic!

Shadow_Ferret
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
My wife loves Deadlist Catch.

I have to admit I don't get it. They fish. Big deal.

PattiTheWicked
04-05-2007, 08:05 AM
But it's got big waves! Big crabs! Big boats! Big egos!

Yeah. It's a fishing show.

And I'm embarassed to admit I love it.

Sheryl Nantus
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I love the show.

I hate crab.

go figure.

:)

Soccer Mom
04-05-2007, 10:12 PM
But it's got drama. Real drama. That's the appeal. The danger is real. This is how they live and how they die. It has one of the highest mortality rate of any job out there.

The batchelor? ooooh, who will he pick? Who cares! There's nothing "real" there. Make these gals wear their gowns on a rolling deck with twenty foot waves crashing overhead. THAT I just might watch.

J. Weiland
04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
The biggest shocker of the new season?

Sig acts nice and treats his crew as humans.

Soccer Mom
04-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I'll believe that when it happens. I just love Edgar.

Serenity
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
But it's got drama. Real drama. That's the appeal. The danger is real. This is how they live and how they die. It has one of the highest mortality rate of any job out there.

The batchelor? ooooh, who will he pick? Who cares! There's nothing "real" there. Make these gals wear their gowns on a rolling deck with twenty foot waves crashing overhead. THAT I just might watch.

:roll:

I love this show too. I am a bit sad that the Derby will apparently be no more after this season, but I will continue to watch.

Soccer Mom
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm totally addicted to this type of show. Mythbusters. Dirty Jobs. Deadliest Catch. :happy sighs:

PattiTheWicked
04-06-2007, 02:21 AM
I like Ghosthunters too, on SciFi, but I never know when it's on anymore.

:(

AnnaC
04-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Another fan of Deadliest Catch here!

It's going to be interesting to see how Blake handles becoming captain of the Maverick. I'm kind of partial to the crew of Cornelia Marie and watching Phil's sons learn the trade. I want to know how the Time Bandit handled that hit!

Patti, Ghost Hunters is my *favorite* TV show! I think new episodes start in early June.

Christine N.
04-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Ghosthunters is usually at 9pm on Wednesdays. Also a favorite, but it runs opposite of Criminal Minds, which also kicks ass.

Serenity
04-07-2007, 03:52 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how Blake handles becoming captain of the Maverick. I'm kind of partial to the crew of Cornelia Marie and watching Phil's sons learn the trade. I want to know how the Time Bandit handled that hit!

I'm interested in that too. I felt bad for him last season when he didn't get his chance like he was promised, but I also felt the Captain made the right decision in staying on. Blake didn't have the crew's complete respect at that time, and the boat as well as the profits (which, let's face it, are key here) would have suffered for the lack of cohesion. It was a tough pill to swallow, but he seems to be doing an admirable job so far. He's young, so everyone on-- and off-- the boat is going to be watching him like a hawk.

I also like the Cornelia Marie, a true family crab boat if ever there was one.

Lyxdeslic
04-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Now The Guardian was a seriously good movie. Best thing Ashton Kutcher's ever done.

And to think, there was a time I thought you were my hero, PeeDee. :)

What was it, the cliched "mentor tough on student because he sees himself in him"? Perhaps it was the excrutiatingly predictable plot?

:( Ladies and gentleman, you're witnessing the death of a hero (no, I'm not talking 'bout Kevin Costner).

Just joshin' PD. But, seriously, that movie sucked donkey di....

CBeasy
04-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I missed the new episode, and I'm very unhappy! I absolutely love this show. The morning repeats got me through many a day in th hospital.

WerenCole
04-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Man, I was scared for a second. I thought they made a dating show where I was the prize.

Glad I don't have to go through that embarassment. . . again.

CBeasy
04-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm totally addicted to this type of show. Mythbusters. Dirty Jobs. Deadliest Catch. :happy sighs:
Yeah, take those three, plus Ghosthunters, History's Mysteries, and the Toonami and Adult Swim blocks on Cartoon Network, and you basically have the only shows I watch.

Shadow_Ferret
04-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, real drama. Throw the pots. Retrieve the pots. Get wet. Get cold. Get pinched by a crab. Get yelled at by the skipper. Oh! I sprained my ankle!

Yeah. *yawn* Real drama.

The batchelor? ooooh, who will he pick? Who cares! There's nothing "real" there. Make these gals wear their gowns on a rolling deck with twenty foot waves crashing overhead. THAT I just might watch.Not sure how this became a "Deadliest Catch" or "The Bachelor" choice. I think my TV gets a lot more choices than that. ;)

PeeDee
04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
And to think, there was a time I thought you were my hero, PeeDee. :)
What was it, the cliched "mentor tough on student because he sees himself in him"? Perhaps it was the excrutiatingly predictable plot?
:( Ladies and gentleman, you're witnessing the death of a hero (no, I'm not talking 'bout Kevin Costner).
Just joshin' PD. But, seriously, that movie sucked donkey di....

I didn't say it was stunningly original, did I? Sheesh. Have some cheese with your whine. :)

PattiTheWicked
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I just watched tonight's episode of Deadliest Catch, and by golly, there wasn't nearly enough Hansen brothers in it. I admit the bit at the end with my boy Sig showing his more human side was a nice touch. Still, I want to see him chain smoking, guzzling coffee, and pissing off his crew. That's the way I love him.

:::grumbles::::

Soccer Mom
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Sig is human. He cried. Whaddya know. Looks like the boat goes to crap next week. That ought to bring out the Sig we know and love!

Needed more Cornelia Marie, too. But next week looks like a dandy.

DragonHeart
04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know why or how but something about this show makes me want to watch it. I actually stayed up until 2am to watch the new episode last night/this morning. Ok, so I normally stay up that late anyways, but that's besides the point. :D I don't keep up with it all the time but I do catch it (no pun intended) when I can.

Sig/The Northwestern is definitely my favorite of the fleet.

I hate seafood, too.

~DragonHeart~

PattiTheWicked
04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I got a kick out of Edgar's line last night about how "if I worked in an office, I'd be fixing my printer right now."

Yes, last night needed more Cornelia Marie too. I really enjoy the dynamics of the whole "family boat" thing, and seeing Captain Phil's older boy on the deck this season is neat. It will be interesting to see how he and his brother get along as time progresses.

Gravity
04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Sounds like a good show. But last week when I asked my wife if she'd like to watch it, she replied, "Not tonight, dear. I have a haddock."

Soccer Mom
04-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a good show. But last week when I asked my wife if she'd like to watch it, she replied, "Not tonight, dear. I have a haddock."

You should have watched anyway, just for the halibut.

And ferrets just don't understand fishing!

I loved Edgar's line.

I was a little bemused by Blake's insecurity. I mean, Rick still owns the boat. Blake is just piloting it for him. Didn't he tell Blake all his best fishing grounds? Couldn't Blake phone-a-friend Rick and get his input????

Gehanna
04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I catch bits and pieces of this show when my husband watches it. So far my favorite Captain is Capt. Phil Harris.

Gehanna

PattiTheWicked
04-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Captain Phil is like a giant teddy bear. I like him a lot, because even though he's the captain, you can tell he's still "the dad" and worries a lot about all the guys on his boat. You could hang out with Phil and drink a beer, and it would be all cool and stuff.

Gehanna
04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I like the way he states his bits of wisdom. Makes me laugh.

pink lily
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Another Deadliest Catch fan here. I love the show. It's dramatic and it's real. When the Coast Guard flies out to try to rescue some fishermen who fell into the sea, they pull up one real survivor ... and the bodies of two of his friends. Very sad, gripping drama. We've been watching for a few seasons now.

plaidearthworm
04-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Did anyone else see Edgar and Sig on the Tonight Show this evening? I knew having them together would be fun, and Edgar did not disappoint. He is a live wire, especially when discussing the K-Y jelly and gloves.

PattiTheWicked
04-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I missed that one, but there's a fun interview with Sig on the Daily Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuhgIXKOy_w

He still seems like he's not totally comfortable with this whole fame thing.

Lyra Jean
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
It's all your guys fault. :)

Now I watch the show too. I found that it comes on after I get home from work. Thanks.

Soccer Mom
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
:rubs hands together: Bwahahahaha!

Once I have them all watching Deadliest Catch, Tuesdays will belong to me. Then I can take over the world!

:claps hand over mouth:
Did I say that out loud?

PattiTheWicked
04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I just have to say that when I watched last night's episode, Capt. Jonathan's emotional reaction to the rescued fisherman nearly had me in tears.

I can't even begin to imagine how farkin' cold that water is.

plaidearthworm
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I know, that was a very powerful episode, I nearly teared up when the rescued guy was hugging the Captain. What I don't get is the situation the guy was in, in the first place. Wasn't anyone from his own ship watching over him, or at least have him tethered? I remember Jonathan and his crew saying "WTF is he doing?" I know it's easy to make mistakes when you're cold and completely exhausted, and I suspect that the show follows the cream of the crop when it comes to captains and crews, actually. Karma points for Capt. Jonathan!

PattiTheWicked
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
The guy who fell off the other boat had been on the pots, chaining them into place. He was low on the stacks, near the rail and without a safety harness, and was bascially just swept off into the water -- you probably noticed the waves were fairly good sized, and there were times when they couldn't even see him because his ship was rolling in the trench. When the guys on the Time Bandit realized he'd gone in, they went after him, because they were in a better position to rescue him than his own ship.

Many of the crews have said they don't use a tether or harness when they're on the stacks, because it gets in the way and adds to the length of time they spend moving around.

Which is why crab costs so much when you go out for dinner -- someone probably died trying to get it out of the water.

Sheryl Nantus
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I know, that was a very powerful episode, I nearly teared up when the rescued guy was hugging the Captain. What I don't get is the situation the guy was in, in the first place. Wasn't anyone from his own ship watching over him, or at least have him tethered? I remember Jonathan and his crew saying "WTF is he doing?" I know it's easy to make mistakes when you're cold and completely exhausted, and I suspect that the show follows the cream of the crop when it comes to captains and crews, actually. Karma points for Capt. Jonathan!

I'm grateful that the camera crew knew enough to give the guy some privacy - he didn't sign up for the show and darned well didn't need some camera shoved in his face while dealing with a near-death experience like that.

Thank God the fellas got to him in time...

BiggerBoat
04-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I hate The Deadliest Catch.

Most nights I go to bed at midnight or so. I flick on the TV just to watch a couple of minutes before going to sleep. Lately Discovery Channel has a string of The Deadliest Catch episodes playing, and then guess what I am doing until the wee hours of the night. It's nearly impossible to turn them off, and it doesn't help with the constant "Coming up on The Deadliest Catch" teasers that leave me saying "Well, I'm not gonna' miss that."

That and Myth Busters ... Oh, and American Chopper.

I think I'll write Discovery Channel a strongly worded letter. Can't they put on some Infocommercials like everyone else?

Soccer Mom
04-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Oh, and Dirty Jobs. They must be flogged for creating that. These shows are all clogging up my TIVO. Gotta go. I must watch the Discovery Channel. I'm a DC zombie.

Lyra Jean
04-26-2007, 08:20 AM
If they put CSI: Miami on Discovery my TV would never change channels.

plaidearthworm
04-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, and you know what puts Deadliest Catch over the top for me? Mike Rowe's voice. Aaaahhhh.

PattiTheWicked
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd be perfectly happen with a 24-hour Northwestern-cam, with voiceovers by Mike Rowe. Yowza. I'd never leave the couch.

Those folks at Discovery Channel are really unreasonable, what with only an hour of week for me to watch. Sheesh!

PattiTheWicked
04-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Anyone catch Sig and Edgar on Jimmy Kimmel? They had to share the stage with Sanjaya from American Idol, of all people, but it made for a couple of funny lines from Edgar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtVV2765bU

Serenity
04-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Dang... I can't watch it at work, damn blockers! I was dead tired last night, I'll have to watch it when I get home later.

Lyra Jean
04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
So who's going to buy the underwear and which one would you get?

PattiTheWicked
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, I don't wear thongs because i hate the idea of dental floss in my ass, but I'm a Sig girl all the way :)

Soccer Mom
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm a Cornelia Marie gal! But I also can't get enough Hansen.

And don't tell Soccer Dad, but I have a wee sized crush on Mike Rowe.

Okay, a large crush. Shhhhhh. Don't tell. :Ssh:

DragonHeart
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
It's nearly impossible to turn them off, and it doesn't help with the constant "Coming up on The Deadliest Catch" teasers

The same thing happens to me. I hate how the most interesting part of the entire preview, the part that I always want to watch, is invariably the last five minutes of the show.

That said, I too found the last episode to be very emotional. Cheers to the Time Bandit for their swift action in that man's time of need.

~DragonHeart~

PattiTheWicked
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Here's the link to the clip from the Carson Daly show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHn1UaAGM0

And is it just me, or Carson looking dangerously thin?

Soccer Mom
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh, can't wait until I'm home and can click on the Youtube link! And a new episode tomorrow. Wheeee!

PattiTheWicked
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
You know you're addicted when you (a) dream about crab boats and (b) you know the names and hold capacities of the different vessels.

Not that I do either of those things, of course.

Soccer Mom
05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Me either. It makes no difference if the Maverick finishes last because Blake is a punk and deserves it. Nope. I can't name all the boats or their holding capacities. And I certainly have no opinion on whether Phil has a better strategy than Jonathan. I don't even know who those people are.

PattiTheWicked
05-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Heh. My daughter, the one who calls me CrabGeek, wandered by the other night while I was watching the DC marathon. She says, "What happened to the cute guy?"

I said, "Sig?"
She says, "No, the young guy."
"Edgar?"
"NO!" :::teenager eyeroll here ::: "The guy who wanted to be a captain last season and didn't get to."
I'm like, "Oh, you mean Blake. Yeah, he got his boat. But he's a doofus."

It took me a while to figure out who she meant, because my interpretation of "cute" and hers are apparently quite different.

Serenity
05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
You know you're addicted when you (a) dream about crab boats and (b) you know the names and hold capacities of the different vessels.

Not that I do either of those things, of course.

Oh, me neither... *nod, nod, wink wink

But you also know you're addicted when someone posts the YouTube link, you watch it and then spend an hour watching all of the rest of them too...:D

plaidearthworm
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Last night's show: wow. Saving a man's life definitely racked up some karma points for Johnathan and crew! Wasn't the largest pot filled with something like 150? Blake headed up to their area, and he still wasn't pulling in as much as the Time Bandit crew. I love it when everything works.

Soccer Mom
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I was laughing like a fiend at Blake pulling up empty pots. He SO deserved that.

PattiTheWicked
05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Heh. It's his payback for blabbing about Phil's "secret spot" to someone else. I think Blake is basically a decent guy but just has a lot to learn -- he's cocky, but with some experience he'll probably be a decent captain.

If no one tosses his ass overboard first.

Soccer Mom
05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Blake is very young, but he has paid some dues with years of working the deck. I'll give him credit for that. But he does need a slap down. He's way too cocky.

PattiTheWicked
05-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Think he'll win the Captains' bet?

Soccer Mom
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Not after this bad string. I think Sig looks like a a good choice to win.

Serenity
05-03-2007, 01:08 AM
I think it will be Sig too. He just has the knack of it down. I think once Blake's ego is put back in check, he'll do very well. He has a good ship, and a great mentor. He just needs to get over the fact that he feels like he has to overtly prove himself. He'll make mistakes, everyone does, but I do think he'll learn from them.

Oh, by the way. Soccer Mom? I've wanted to say this for a while but kept putting it off. Your sig line freaks me out! :scared:

plaidearthworm
05-03-2007, 01:34 AM
I'm rooting for Johnathan, but Sig will probably win the bet. But what about the captain of the Wizard? They finished up their season with time to spare. Was he in on the bet?

PattiTheWicked
05-05-2007, 05:20 AM
It's the Deadliest Chat! Here's what Captain Jonathan had to say at Discoverychat the other night: Capt. Jonathan Hillstrand transcript (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/chat/transcripts/07may01-hillstrand/hillstrand.html)

Serenity
05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Neat. And I see Sig is going to chat next week. :) I might see if I can get on and get a question in...

PattiTheWicked
05-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Oh, I can just imagine some of the questions Sig and Edgar probably get.

:)

Serenity
05-05-2007, 06:34 PM
:roll: Well, I checked out and signed up on the Discovery Chanel's website, and from what I could glean, it looks like a strictly moderated chat. They probably weed out all the "will you marry me's", etc. But I think I'm still going to try! EDIT: ACK! Try to ask a question, not ask him to marry me! :P

I think it's just going to be Sig, Edgar (from what I've seen in interviews) probably shouldn't be let near a keyboard... LOL

PattiTheWicked
05-05-2007, 07:36 PM
A moderated chat is probably best <g>. Between the KY jokes, the thong panties, and all the other stuff, Edgar is freakin' hilarious. He said in one interview that they're getting really weird fan mail, like someone sent him perfume-scented panties, and a lot of women send phone numbers.

The Discovery folks are pretty good abotu making sure their chats are about the show, crabbing, fishing, etc., and not so much the personal stuff. Can you imagine a two hour chat full of "u r so hot can u call me"?

plaidearthworm
05-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Yay, Johnathan won the bet! And he's in tight with karma, especially after donating part of it to the survivor's charity. And Blake dumping that crab when he really needed it....ouch...maybe he won't be quite so cocky next time. Maybe.

Soccer Mom
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
A very satisfying end to King Crab. Now onward to the Opies!

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 01:00 AM
When do they start airing episodes from the Opilio season? Last night, when the end credits ran, they said "When DC returns..." instead of "On the next DC".

It scares me. What if I have to go for weeks without my crabfix?

Thank the gawds it's available On Demand.

Serenity
05-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey, Sig's chat is up here: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/chat/transcripts/07may08-hansen/hansen.html

:D

Chasing the Horizon
05-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I never saw this thread before. I love Deadliest Catch, it's one of the very few TV shows I actually watch.

This season was great. Saving a man's life and having their luck instantly change, that was just amazing!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure opilio season starts next week, I'll double check, though.

Edit to add: Yep, Tuesday May 15th at 9:00 opilio season starts

Serenity
05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Oooo... it looks like Discovery Channel is showing another marathon this weekend. :D And the Opilo season is showing this Tuesday.

PattiTheWicked
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
:::claps hands, jumps around:::

Thank goodness it starts Tuesday. I don't know what I'd do if 20% of my weekly television viewing was eliminated.

I totally need Tivo.

Chumplet
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
When you said the Hansen brothers I was visualizing the boy band trying their hand at crab fishing.

PattiTheWicked
05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
[popmusic on]

Mmmmbop, catchin' crabs,
Mmmmbop, we're just so bad,
Mmmmbop, we caught a ton,
Mmmmbop, crabs are yum.

[/popmusic off]

SpookyWriter
05-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Catchy.

plaidearthworm
05-17-2007, 06:08 PM
OK, so I watched the marathon this week, and even went to the website. Now I plan to stay home on Tuesday nights. Patti, I think you're a bad influence on me! :) Does this mean I'm a crab-geek-in-training?

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Why, yes. You should get your membership packet within a couple of weeks.

PattiTheWicked
05-18-2007, 05:01 PM
I love this. Even TMZ loves Deadliest Catch.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/17/ninja-remote-take-control-of-the-worlds-tvs/

Serenity
05-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Way to go Blake (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/news/2007_0515.html)...

Jean Marie
05-21-2007, 05:21 AM
It's totally addicting.

Soccer Mom
05-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Good for Blake.

And may I just say WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE to Opie season. Man vs. Ice. I just got back from camping with my cubscouts. Guess what show they're all addicted to now? :D They've agreed that Discovery Channel rawks the socks off Disney.

PattiTheWicked
05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
My son and I spent half of yesterday watching Planet Earth and Deadliest Catch. Now if I can just wean him off Nickelodeon, we'll be good to go.

Soccer Mom
05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I don't think Sig has quite replaced Spongebob yet, but give him time. He just needs a catchy theme song.

plaidearthworm
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Gripping stuff tonight, especially when the 30-waves hit the Time Bandit. Wow. And I can't wait for 'After the Catch,' next week!

plaidearthworm
05-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Anyone else watch 'After the Catch'? It was better than I imagined--just the captains and the lovely Mike Rowe sitting around swapping stories. Excellent!

kristie911
05-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I tried to watch it but I'm at work and we were kind of busy. I caught a bit of it though. Good stuff. But then anything with Mike Rowe in it is worth watching...he's some mighty fine eye candy! :)

Serenity
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I tried to watch it but I'm at work and we were kind of busy. I caught a bit of it though. Good stuff. But then anything with Mike Rowe in it is worth watching...he's some mighty fine eye candy! :)

And he was deliciously scruffy-looking last night! :D It was both funny and touching- the show, not Mike (well, okay, Mike was too...)- last night. Very nice reunion with Jonathan and the man he pulled out of the sea the one ep. Plus another survivor rescuer reunion.

Oh, and in a few days, transcripts from the chat with Edgar Hansen. :D I was babysitting, or I would have tried to get a question in.

Sheryl Nantus
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Anyone else watch 'After the Catch'? It was better than I imagined--just the captains and the lovely Mike Rowe sitting around swapping stories. Excellent!

I cracked up when they opened up the life raft inside...

my hubby, who's a relative fan (as in, he'll watch it with me but not turn it on himself) turned to me at some point last year and said "Now I feel I have to start eating crab cakes out of guilt."

and he's not even Catholic!

PattiTheWicked
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
After the Catch was very cool -- I loved it when they opened up the raft! It was kinda neat to hear some of the older captains talking about what fishing was like back in their day too.

And Mike Rowe? I'd sit watch that guy do nothing at all. Mrrow.

Soccer Mom
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
And he was deliciously scruffy-looking last night! :D It was both funny and touching- the show, not Mike (well, okay, Mike was too...)- .

Mike could touch me anytime......

Oh.

That was out loud. :o

PattiTheWicked
06-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind being shipwrecked with Mike Rowe.

plaidearthworm
06-01-2007, 05:41 AM
You know, I've always loved the sound of his voice, and then he took his shirt off in the Dirty Jobs episode where he did taro farming...wow. I know he was an opera singer before tv called, and I wonder what his singing sounds like.

PattiTheWicked
06-01-2007, 06:16 AM
He did a segment on Dirty Jobs where he was cleaning the infield for some ball team, and he sang the Star Spangled Banner before the game -- sounded excellent.

SpookyWriter
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
I love this show but don't have cable so I can't watch it anymore. Errr....

Danger Jane
06-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Internets info??

Mike Rowe is the man. He sang opera in the candy shop episode because Messy Bessie was teaching him how to make opera candies.

Soccer Mom
06-01-2007, 07:04 AM
You can see lots of the best scenes off the website, Spookster. I feel for you buddy. Tight finances suck rotten bilge water.

SpookyWriter
06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
You can see lots of the best scenes off the website, Spookster. I feel for you buddy. Tight finances suck rotten bilge water.But it's not the same as watching it on cable.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Okay, okay, okay.

I posted earlier in the thread that it seemed to be 'the same ol', same ol''... now I see the error of my ways! Ol' Boy was a bigger fan of DC than I was, by far... but it's grown on me.

Addictive? Yeah. I should say so!

DragonHeart
06-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Tonight's episode was pretty crazy, I must admit. Seeing the guys walking around on the ice next to the Northwestern was surreal, maybe even a little spooky. That sure was a lot of ice.

Not to mention the eating of still-beating cod hearts. Bleeeeach. If anything, this show is strongly reinforcing my hatred of seafood.

After the Catch was good too. Who knew dental floss could be so multifunctional. XD

The more I see of the show, the more addicted I seem to get. Luckily the season will be over soon so I can get back into a more normal sleep schedule, what with my vacation coming up and all.

~DragonHeart~

Soccer Mom
06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
But....I'll miss it! :cry:

PattiTheWicked
06-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Is there anything at all that Edgar Hansen won't chew up and eat? He makes it look so easy, too.

I was actually happy when the greenhorn barfed.

Soccer Mom
06-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Edgar would be an easy husband to feed.

What's for dinner tonight, hon?

Um, picked up some raw meat at the store. Here ya go.

PattiTheWicked
06-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Anyone who catches and kills his own food is an easy husband to feed.

It kinda makes me want to fix him a nice green salad.

PattiTheWicked
06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Has anyone else seen this? It's hilarious. http://www.razzy.org/RazzyBlog/2007/04/im-sig-girl.html

"the Adonis of Alaskan crab fisherman".... teehee.

Serenity
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, after being completly turned off by the language the girl used on her blog, I did enjoy the pictures. :D

plaidearthworm
06-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Okay, I admit it: when Sig gave greenhorn Jake his jacket at the end of the season finale, and the kid hugs his dad on the dock and says "I made it," I boo-hooed a little. It was a sweet moment, and the kid was so proud.

PattiTheWicked
06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
It was sweet, wasn't it? I really liked watching the homecoming part.

And of course tonight Edgar consumed some hydraulic fluid. I'm seriously worried about that man. Next season I think I'll set up a poll for what Edgar is most likely to eat first.

plaidearthworm
06-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, Edgar is like the kid in school who would eat anything for a quarter. Must have a cast iron stomach by now, though. ;)

Serenity
06-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Miss the season already? There's going to be a Deadliest Catch marathon on the 4th of July!

Also, you know you've been 'hooked' on the Catch when:

You are seriously contemplating buying the DVDs...

Soccer Mom
06-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Miss the season already? There's going to be a Deadliest Catch marathon on the 4th of July!

Also, you know you've been 'hooked' on the Catch when:

You are seriously contemplating buying the DVDs...

....and when you set your TIVO to record the marathon.

Serenity
06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
....and when you set your TIVO to record the marathon.

And when you wish you had TiVo to do that so you wouldn't have to spend money on the DVD's...

or, when on a very weird whim early one morning, decide to bring up Yahoo Maps and figure out how to drive to Dutch Harbor. Anyone up for a road trip? :D

Total Distance: 5463.1 miles, Total Time: 153 hours 8 mins (approx.)

6.Continue to follow US-15 N go 6.6 mi19.7 mi 7.Take ramp onto US-15 N go 5.1 mi
8.Take exit #12A/HAGERSTOWN onto I-70 W toward HAGERSTOWN go 76.5 mi
9.Take the HARRISBURG/MCCONNELLSBURG/NEW STANTON/PENNA TURNPIKE exit onto LINCOLN HWY(I-70) go 0.2 mi
10.Take ramp onto I-70 W toward PENNA TURNPIKE (I-76)/PITTSBURGH/HARRISBURG (Portions toll) go 1.5 mi
11.Take the PITTSBURGH/EXITS 146-2 exit onto I-76 W (Toll applies) go 185 mi
12.Continue on I-80 W (Toll applies) go 355 mi
13.Continue on I-90 W (Toll applies) go 208 mi
14.Continue on I-90 W go 63.6 mi
15.Continue on I-94 W go 156 mi
16.Take the I-494 S/I-694 N exit onto I-694 N toward I-694 N go 6.1 mi
17.Continue on I-694 W go 17.1 mi
18.Continue on I-94 W go 321 mi
19.Take exit #256/US-52-TRUCK W/US-281-TRUCK N go 0.2 mi
20.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_r.gifRIGHT on US-281-TRUCK go 3.4 mi
21.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on US-281 N go 9.1 mi
22.Continue on S; S N go 1.2 mi
23.Continue on US-281 SE(US-281 N) go 0.3 mi
24.Continue to follow US-281 N go 30.2 mi
25.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on US-52 go 124 mi
26.Continue on HIGHWAY 52 S(US-52-BR) go 0.1 mi
27.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT to take ramp onto US-2 W toward US-52 W go 9.7 mi
28.Continue on US-2-BYP W go 1.3 mi
29.Continue on US-2 W go 4.1 mi
30.Take ramp onto US-52 W go 82.1 mi
31.Continue on HWY-39 go 122 mi
32.Continue on HWY-6 go 23.4 mi
33.Take ramp onto HWY-1 E toward WINNIPEG/TRANS CANADA HWY EAST go 4.7 mi
34.Continue on HWY-11 N go 4.0 mi
35.Take the SASKATOON/ALBERT ST exit onto ALBERT ST N(HWY-11 N) toward HWY-11/HWY-6 N go 0.8 mi
36.Take ramp onto LOUIS RIEL TRL N(HWY-11 N) toward LUMSDEN/SASKATOON go 52.7 mi
37.Continue to follow HWY-11 N go 99.4 mi
38.Continue on HWY-16 W go 6.8 mi
39.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_r.gifRIGHT to take ramp onto IDYLWYLD DR N(HWY-11 N) toward IDYLWYLD DR./TRANS CANADA HWY WEST go 1.4 mi
40.Take http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT ramp onto HWY-16 W toward TRANS CANADA HWY/YELLOWHEAD HWY/THE BATTLEFORDS/EDMONTON go 350 mi
41.Take ramp onto HWY-43 W toward WHITECOURT/GRANDE PRAIRIE/PEACE RIVER go 250 mi
42.Take ramp onto HWY-2 S toward GRANDE PRAIRIE go 0.6 mi
43.Continue on HWY-43 W go 60.2 mi
44.Continue on HWY-2 go 24.6 mi
45.At traffic circle, take third exit onto HWY-49 W go 1.3 mi
46.Continue on HWY-97 go 41.4 mi
47.Continue on HWY-97 go 514 mi
48.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 0.8 mi
49.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 1.6 mi
50.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 5.3 mi
51.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 1.0 mi
52.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 1.5 mi
53.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 27.6 mi
54.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 104 mi
55.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 40.0 mi
56.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 433 mi
57.Continue on ALASKA HWY(I-A2) go 89.9 mi
58.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on I-A1 go 276 mi
59.Continue on S GLENN HWY(I-A1) go 6.7 mi
60.Continue to follow I-A1 go 256 mi
61.Continue on LAKE ST go 0.4 mi
62.Continue on OCEAN DR go 0.5
63.Continue on HOMER SPIT RD go 4.4 mi
64.Take ALASKA MARINE HWY (Check schedules and fares) go 975 mi
65.Continue on BALLYHOO RD go 0.8 mi
66.Arrive at the center of DUTCH HARBOR, AK

ChaosTitan
06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
or, when on a very weird whim early one morning, decide to bring up Yahoo Maps and figure out how to drive to Dutch Harbor. Anyone up for a road trip? :D

:popcorn: <---Waiting to see this road trip happen in Serenity's little old Honda....

Soccer Mom
06-27-2007, 09:30 PM
We are gonna take lots of snacks and potty breaks, right? Tiny doggie = tiny bladder.

Serenity
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
:popcorn: <---Waiting to see this road trip happen in Serenity's little old Honda....

Ha ha... just you wait! Rember the little engine that could???? Okay, so they weren't in any way refering to *my* little engine, but still...

We are gonna take lots of snacks and potty breaks, right? Tiny doggie = tiny bladder.

:D Yep! However, it may take us a month or two. :tongue

Soccer Mom
06-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Just as long as we take a portable TV. Dirty Jobs is back.:e2brows:

(that means Mike Rowe sans shirt.)

Serenity
06-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Just as long as we take a portable TV. Dirty Jobs is back.:e2brows:

(that means Mike Rowe sans shirt.)

*drool*

Also, it will be something to keep us occupied until we get there, because by the time we actually do get there, the next season of King Crab will have probably started.

Soccer Mom
06-28-2007, 05:59 AM
<-----Don't forget to pack the litter box. I've been catted.

Serenity
06-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Yeah, that's why I'm staying out of the Hell-o Kitty Diaries thread. I like it just where I am... on the Northwestern with Sig on one side and Edgar on the other.

God, I can't wait for next season...

triceretops
06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Doesn't the captain of the Time Bandit have a book out, or it's coming out?

Tri

Serenity
06-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, I did find this (http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/tag/captains-jonathan-hillstrand/):

“Fresh from the book deal announcements on Publishers Marketplace:
Co-captains Andy Hillstrand and Johnathan Hillstrand (featured on Discovery Channel’s series Deadliest Catch) with Malcolm MacPherson’s (Robert’s Ridge) TIME BANDIT, chronicling the lives and adrenalin-laced adventures of these lifelong Bering Sea fishermen, a career considered one of the most dangerous in the world, to Will Murphy for publication by Ballantine in May 2008, by Alan Nevins and Mindy Stone at The Firm (world)."

triceretops
06-28-2007, 07:36 AM
I knew it! I knew I saw that somewhere. It was on PM. Thanks for that quote. Well, built in audience for that book, eh?

Tri

Serenity
06-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Yeah, there really is. I would kill to interview any of them for a book or seven. :D Of course, I am partial to a particular crew. (Gee, guess which one?) But the stories they have-- while a day in the life for most of them-- would be utterly fascinating. I would have to take a recorder, because I know I would forget to take notes!

asorum
06-28-2007, 08:21 AM
And when you wish you had TiVo to do that so you wouldn't have to spend money on the DVD's...

6.Continue to follow US-15 N go 6.6 mi19.7 mi 7.Take ramp onto US-15 N go 5.1 mi
8.Take exit #12A/HAGERSTOWN onto I-70 W toward HAGERSTOWN go 76.5 mi
9.Take the HARRISBURG/MCCONNELLSBURG/NEW STANTON/PENNA TURNPIKE exit onto LINCOLN HWY(I-70) go 0.2 mi
10.Take ramp onto I-70 W toward PENNA TURNPIKE (I-76)/PITTSBURGH/HARRISBURG (Portions toll) go 1.5 mi
11.Take the PITTSBURGH/EXITS 146-2 exit onto I-76 W (Toll applies) go 185 mi
12.Continue on I-80 W (Toll applies) go 355 mi
13.Continue on I-90 W (Toll applies) go 208 mi
14.Continue on I-90 W go 63.6 mi
15.Continue on I-94 W go 156 mi
16.Take the I-494 S/I-694 N exit onto I-694 N toward I-694 N go 6.1 mi
17.Continue on I-694 W go 17.1 mi
18.Continue on I-94 W go 321 mi
19.Take exit #256/US-52-TRUCK W/US-281-TRUCK N go 0.2 mi
20.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_r.gifRIGHT on US-281-TRUCK go 3.4 mi
21.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on US-281 N go 9.1 mi
22.Continue on S; S N go 1.2 mi
23.Continue on US-281 SE(US-281 N) go 0.3 mi
24.Continue to follow US-281 N go 30.2 mi
25.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on US-52 go 124 mi
26.Continue on HIGHWAY 52 S(US-52-BR) go 0.1 mi
27.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT to take ramp onto US-2 W toward US-52 W go 9.7 mi
28.Continue on US-2-BYP W go 1.3 mi
29.Continue on US-2 W go 4.1 mi
30.Take ramp onto US-52 W go 82.1 mi
31.Continue on HWY-39 go 122 mi
32.Continue on HWY-6 go 23.4 mi
33.Take ramp onto HWY-1 E toward WINNIPEG/TRANS CANADA HWY EAST go 4.7 mi
34.Continue on HWY-11 N go 4.0 mi
35.Take the SASKATOON/ALBERT ST exit onto ALBERT ST N(HWY-11 N) toward HWY-11/HWY-6 N go 0.8 mi
36.Take ramp onto LOUIS RIEL TRL N(HWY-11 N) toward LUMSDEN/SASKATOON go 52.7 mi
37.Continue to follow HWY-11 N go 99.4 mi
38.Continue on HWY-16 W go 6.8 mi
39.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_r.gifRIGHT to take ramp onto IDYLWYLD DR N(HWY-11 N) toward IDYLWYLD DR./TRANS CANADA HWY WEST go 1.4 mi
40.Take http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT ramp onto HWY-16 W toward TRANS CANADA HWY/YELLOWHEAD HWY/THE BATTLEFORDS/EDMONTON go 350 mi
41.Take ramp onto HWY-43 W toward WHITECOURT/GRANDE PRAIRIE/PEACE RIVER go 250 mi
42.Take ramp onto HWY-2 S toward GRANDE PRAIRIE go 0.6 mi
43.Continue on HWY-43 W go 60.2 mi
44.Continue on HWY-2 go 24.6 mi
45.At traffic circle, take third exit onto HWY-49 W go 1.3 mi
46.Continue on HWY-97 go 41.4 mi
47.Continue on HWY-97 go 514 mi
48.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 0.8 mi
49.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 1.6 mi
50.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 5.3 mi
51.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 1.0 mi
52.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 1.5 mi
53.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 27.6 mi
54.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 104 mi
55.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-97) go 40.0 mi
56.Continue on ALASKA HWY(HWY-1) go 433 mi
57.Continue on ALASKA HWY(I-A2) go 89.9 mi
58.Turn http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/mp/gr/mp22_l.gifLEFT on I-A1 go 276 mi
59.Continue on S GLENN HWY(I-A1) go 6.7 mi
60.Continue to follow I-A1 go 256 mi
61.Continue on LAKE ST go 0.4 mi
62.Continue on OCEAN DR go 0.5
63.Continue on HOMER SPIT RD go 4.4 mi
64.Take ALASKA MARINE HWY (Check schedules and fares) go 975 mi
65.Continue on BALLYHOO RD go 0.8 mi
66.Arrive at the center of DUTCH HARBOR, AK
PennAir seems easier :)

asorum
06-28-2007, 08:22 AM
If you get the chance, read Working on the Edge by Spike Walker, it's a good read on crab fishing.

triceretops
06-28-2007, 08:29 AM
A Perfect Storm is not to far off the mark either.

Tri

Serenity
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
PennAir seems easier :)

You and Chaos. No faith in my abilities to drive from Virginia to Alaska.

:e2file:

plaidearthworm
07-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Mike Rowe will be on the Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson this Thursday! Just in case you haven't had enough of him between Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs and the Ford commercials. Oh yeah, and there's a pic of him, Sig, Phil, and the guy from Survivorman in Entertainment Weekly's Top 100 issue this week. Aaaahh. :)

Serenity
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! Deadliest Catch Marathon on Discovery Channel all day today!!!!

Soccer Mom
12-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Kept my kids entertained, that's for sure!

Serenity
12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I kept going back and forth between DC and 24. Every time I saw the Northwestern, though, I couldn't help but smile. Would you believe Kelly called me a 'dork'????? :D

Soccer Mom
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Pfft! Kelly doesn't know dork! My kids and I will celebrate when the new season drops by going out for a crab dinner. I'm a Cornelia Marie gal, but I do love the Hansen brothers.

ChaosTitan
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Pfft! Kelly doesn't know dork!

She does now.

:roll:

Soccer Mom
01-01-2008, 12:11 AM
:D Busted! But if you lived with me....you WOULD know dork! :D

ChaosTitan
01-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Trust me, I know plenty of dorks. :ROFL:

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Season 4 premieres April 19th! It's back! (http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/so-when-is-deadliest-catch-season-4-starting-you-ask/)

Serenity
03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Thank God! I may have to go back to my Northwestern avatar soon...

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh yes, I think it will be time to reconvene the Deadliest Geeks in April. :D I can't wait. Marathons and then new episodes! And all the Easter chocolate I can eat. Could life get much better?

joyce
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Season 4 premieres April 19th! It's back! (http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/so-when-is-deadliest-catch-season-4-starting-you-ask/)

Thanks for posting this. I love this show and was wondering when it was coming back on.

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Hooray! Joyce is a Deadliest Geek too. :D

My kids and I celebrate with a crab dinner whenever our favorite show is back. I can't wait.

kristie911
03-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Yay! I can't wait for the new season! I'm tired of reruns...

Serenity
03-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Okay, I couldn't wait.

THE DEADLIEST CHICK RETURNS!!!!

*goes off to stack some crab pots

sheadakota
03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, I couldn't wait.

THE DEADLIEST CHICK RETURNS!!!!

*goes off to stack some crab pots
Serentity, where did you get your avatar? I want one of Sig! Love DC!!

Serenity
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I actually cropped a picture from the Northwestern's website: http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Great site, lots of Sig pics. :D

Or was that from the discovery channel site... dang, I can't remember. It may have been from one of the Discovery Channel's desktop downloads too: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html

sheadakota
03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I actually cropped a picture from the Northwestern's website: http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Great site, lots of Sig pics. :D

Or was that from the discovery channel site... dang, I can't remember. It may have been from one of the Discovery Channel's desktop downloads too: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html
Sweeetttt!

Serenity
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Our ranks continue to grow... today Deadliest Catch takes over AW.

Tomorrow: THE WORLD!

(Yes, Kel. I know I'm a dork. :D I'm a Deadliest DORK!)

plaidearthworm
03-19-2008, 03:53 AM
It's about time for a new season! Yay!

I tried others, I really did. Ice Road Truckers? Not icy enough for me. Axe Men? Please. I need my Deadliest Catch fix, and I need it soon! :)

Soccer Mom
03-19-2008, 04:25 AM
April 19th, Baybee!

getitin
03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I absolutely love this show. I can't wait to get addicted to it all over again.

Soccer Mom
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome, getitin! :)

Serenity
03-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Our ranks continue to grow!!! Pull up a crab pot and don't forget your survival suit-- there will be a unannounced Coast Guard safety inspection soon. :D

Welcome to the Cooler! :welcome:

Serenity
03-22-2008, 06:32 AM
I have the greatest roommate in the world. How great is she? For Easter and a few other reasons, to celebrate she bought me the first season of The Deadliest Catch! :hooray:

Soccer Mom
03-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Your roommate is indeed Chaostastic Titanalicious. :D

Serenity
03-22-2008, 10:59 PM

edit: wow, didn't even realize that this was my 1000th post! (Well, 1000th of the counted posts anyhow.) Fitting that it should be a s%&*-eating grin...

Soccer Mom
03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I can't imagine a better thread for it.

:checks my post count:

Wow. I need to get a life.

ChaosTitan
03-23-2008, 06:55 PM
:thankyou:

:e2seesaw:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Ol' Boy and I are anxiously awaiting the premier of the new season. There was a show on last weekend about Alaskan fishing and we were all over it. :) It was about pollock fishing and the processing boats that handle tons of the stuff - for MacDonalds, a lot of it - from catch to gut to filet to frozen square patty, without having to port until they're full.

It wasn't 'Deadliest Catch' by any means, but it was a nice appetizer. :)

PattiTheWicked
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I miss Sig Hansen.

Cant' wait till the new season starts!

magicbus
03-26-2008, 09:01 PM
i love this show. more than anywone else. it inspires me to no end.

fallingfar
03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Never in my life have i witness this show..what makes it so great?

Serenity
03-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Maybe because it's a reality show that's actually *real*. Other than the narration, there is next to no way to script this show. It's not set up to get the 'money shot', or to entice people to watch the 'bad boy/girl', it's *real*. What they show are the lives and livlihoods of these fishermen. It's the most dangerous job (or one of the most) on Earth with a near 100% injury rate.

It's just... addicting. And I don't even eat crab! Check out the Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html) site. It's a pretty graphics/video heavy website, but well worth it. They have some videos from past seasons, interviews with various captains and a whole lot of other information.

Oh yeah. And check out the season 4 premier on April 19th. :D

Serenity
03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
20 DAYS!!!!

Uh... just thought everyone would like to know that. :D:D:D

Gina_Marie
04-02-2008, 03:16 AM
I LOVE this show! I just saw a preview for it. Cannot wait.

sheadakota
04-02-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm watching recaps of season one right now!

Generic46
04-02-2008, 04:21 AM
I love this show! Always makes me hungry. :)

Serenity
04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
psst...

17 days.

:e2salute:

DragonHeart
04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Looks like I'll have to start staying up late again. I work night shifts so I have to wait until the 2 a.m. repeat to catch it. Reason enough to get a new job, in my opinion...

The other day they ran the precursor to Catch, the three episode Deadliest Season. I've never seen it before so I thought it was neat that I noticed a lot of little details I would never have seen otherwise. Some of the stories (like the Big Valley) I'd heard of during the After the Catch special, but I didn't watch the earlier seasons so it was the first time I'd seen the "as-it-happens" version.

Can't wait for the weekend, they're having a huge two-day Catch marathon. I'm seriously considering not going to work on Saturday so I can see a lot of the episodes I missed.

~DragonHeart~

Serenity
04-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Te-eeeeeen Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaays!

Wow, it's really hard to convey the sing-song nature of that
in writing.

Serenity
04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Ack! How did we fall to the second page????

8 days....

Soccer Mom
04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I caught both the "Best Of" and "Making Of" specials. It was almost a fix. Almost.

I've missed my captains. I think I need a new sig line (heh- I made a punny).

Serenity
04-12-2008, 04:11 AM
You know, I know we had the 19th as the premier, but I just got my copy of Entertainment Weekly and it has the season 4 premier on the 15th. I'm off to check the Discovery Chanel to confirm or deny...

EDIT: It *is* the 15th... wow, I would have missed it!

Gina_Marie
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Yep its this tuesday at 9 pm

Serenity
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
3 days people. COUNT 'EM. T-H-R-E-E.

Or, you could turn on the Discovery channel right now. They're doing a season 2 marathon.

Soccer Mom
04-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Whee! They must have bumped up the date after that initial report!

:does happy jig:

PattiTheWicked
04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I wasn't home much this weekend, but when I was, DC was on. I can't wait to see what Edgar eats and sets on fire this season.

I loves me some Hansen brothers.

Jersey Chick
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I watched this off and on last year - but caught all kinds of hooked on it this weekend.

I didn't realize Sig and Edgar were brothers until an AHA moment last night :D

Personally, I loves me Captain Johnathan - anyone who rides a Harley s'okay by me :D

Soccer Mom
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I watched this off and on last year - but caught all kinds of hooked on it this weekend.

I didn't realize Sig and Edgar were brothers until an AHA moment last night :D

Personally, I loves me Captain Johnathan - anyone who rides a Harley s'okay by me :D

There is actually a third Hansen brother on the ship, but he doesn't like being on camera and avoids it.

PattiTheWicked
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I really liked the "behind the scenes" show where they showed how the camera guys work. THAT is a deadly job.

Soccer Mom
04-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Those camera men are as insane as the rest of the crew! I loved that special.

Jersey Chick
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Some of the things they do to get the shot are amazing... and a little crazy. :D

PattiTheWicked
04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Eight hours til I get to see brand new Hansen footage.

Squeeeeeeeee!

Jenan Mac
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
OMG, I had no idea the Northwestern and the Cornelia Marie had blogs.

Soccer Mom
04-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Blogs, fansites, stores...

I'm gonna get me a coffee mug!

Serenity
04-16-2008, 07:03 AM
For those that care... spoilers here.

Wow. Not an auspicious beginning for any of the boys, was it? Looks like it picks up, but that has to be so hard pulling up near empty pots.

It also looks like tempers are gonna flare this season.

Should be FUN. :D

Soccer Mom
04-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Sig looked so tired at the end that he was slurring his words. Wow.

Serenity
04-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I thought he was gonna keel-haul (if that's how you spell it, I don't know for sure :D) the greenhorn before they even left the harbor! Almost losing your job because you were on the phone talkin' to a girl, that boy is gonna give him a coronary before the season...

... or would have, had I not known they are already home safe now. LOL

PattiTheWicked
04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
You can get one of these at www.fvnorthwestern.com:

http://www.hellyhansennorthwestern.com/images/Img0608_l.jpg?osCsid=mqmscjhguqb4073k18intm5vq2

Jersey Chick
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I got my husband hooked on it last night. He came upstairs at the beginning of The Best of Part 1 and sat right through three episodes :D

PattiTheWicked
04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
My son, who is 8, really likes it too. I dvr'd the two episodes last night because they were on after his bedtime, so he's chomping at the bit to watch them. He doesn't seem to have a favorite boat, but my hunch is that he'll go with the Time Bandit, just because of the personalities of the Hillstrand brothers. They're pranksters, and Zac digs that.

BTW, there's a really nice article at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/arts/television/06mcgr.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&sq=sig%20hansen&st=nyt&scp=1

DragonHeart
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
That is a good article, and some nice background too. Looks like I have a new book to read. :D

Too bad I had to miss the season opener because of work. If I'm lucky they'll play the rerun at a better time. I hope.

~DragonHeart~

Soccer Mom
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
My son (10yo next month) is a big Northwestern fan. He's addicted to Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and Deadliest Catch. :D Wonder where he gets that from.

Jersey Chick
04-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Jersey Guy loved the truck prank. And watching Best Of, I cracked up over the flour bombs.

plaidearthworm
04-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Loved the new episodes, but I thought Discovery overdid the 'foreshadowing' drama bit on the first one, where they all made the bar bet and then frames of the captains go black and white as they laugh. Just show us the footage, the audience is smart enough to pick up on subtle cues. ;)

Also, loved the truck prank. Glad that Phil and the CM crew laughed, too!

Jenan Mac
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
My son (10yo next month) is a big Northwestern fan. He's addicted to Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and Deadliest Catch. :D Wonder where he gets that from.

Hm...soccer, GeekTV, 10 years old in May....is he ginger-haired and kind of a smart-ass? If so, I think we share a boy.

Soccer Mom
04-19-2008, 12:55 AM
No, he's blond and very earnest. :D The ginger-haired smartiepants is his little brother. :D

We're obviously cousins somewhere down the line, Jenan!

plaidearthworm
04-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Loved tonight's episode, especially the home movies from the Time Bandit crew. Cool!

Soccer Mom
04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Those were very cool home movies. I wonder why we don't have the Maverick and Captain Blake this year???

Serenity
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm not entirely sure what happened to Blake this season, but I was reading on another website that he just recently purchased his own boat, the F/V Tradition. He might have opted out of appearing on the show this season (or perhaps the Maverick's owners Rick and Donna opted out, don't know). He didn't exactly have a stellar appearance last season with the crab-count miscalculation at the end. Then again, that's life and inexperience alone at the helm for him I think.

playrightftw
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Soccer mom I love this show also. I have seen the show with the ice freezing everything. It's so sad when they go out and don't catch enough to pay them well. It's a very exciting and educational show.

Jersey Chick
04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Next week's show looks like it'll be good - every episode I watch reminds me of how much I like dry land. :D

Tymolee
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I was wondering what happened with the Maverick, too... I always liked Rick and Donna (and Blake was easy on the eyes!).

I love this show... fortunately, my son is also a big fan, so we were on a Deadliest Catch binge with all the reruns they were showing.

And, I admit, I bought the Time Bandit book (by Johnathan and Andy). No, I didn't run out and get it as soon as I had a Borders coupon in my hot little hands. Why do you ask? Then again, I also bought the last copy in the store, so apparently I'm not the only fan of the show. :D

Anyway, it's really interesting so far (I'm 1/2 way through it), and I have to say - I cannot believe those are still alive with everything they've done thus far in their lives. It's freaking amazing, actually.

Soccer Mom
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Next week on Deadliest Catch:

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/27/greenhornkitteh128537870824218750.jpg

Soccer Mom
04-28-2008, 04:05 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/27/capnphilhaz128538147616875000.jpg

Soccer Mom
04-28-2008, 04:11 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/27/edgarbiteshed128538151150156250.jpg

Soccer Mom
04-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Cap'n Sig says:
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/27/iwanztehcrab128538156211875000.jpg

Jenan Mac
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
LOL!

PattiTheWicked
05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Where the heck was Captain Phil and the Cornelia Marie last night?

And as a side note, you know a show is cool when 8-year-old boys draw pictures of it in school.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/PattiD68/DSCN5058.jpg

Serenity
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
OMG, Patti! You need to send that to the people at the Discovery Channel, or maybe to Cap'n Keith on the Wizard. :D

Jenan Mac
05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
That's fabulous, Patti! I agree, send it to the Captain.

Soccer Mom
05-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, that is too cute. I agree. Send a copy to the captain.

Pamster
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Just a bump for our beloved Fisherman show! I can hardly wait to see it tonight. :D Am I the only one who watches repeats? I bet not! LOL!!! :D

ETA: Now that I see the picture, WOW I would send it to them at the show too, I bet you anything it ends up on the air somehow...WOW! :D

plaidearthworm
06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
What happened? The previews have been hinting that Phil had to be choppered out, showing Phil waking up saying he couldn't breathe, then showing rescue crews. Tonight, no reference at all to Phil being sick, and they airlifted a completely different person out. True, it ended on a very dramatic note, but I have the feeling that I've been led on, unless I've missed something somewhere.

Jersey Chick
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one kind of scratching my head over that. I asked my husband if I'd missed it and he said no, I hadn't.

Hmmm...

sheadakota
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing! But I am still wondering how the coast guard is going to get out of the mess they got into!

Soccer Mom
06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, it wasn't what I expected at all. But now I"m going to be waiting to see if Phil takes a bad turn. :( I did enjoy hearing the Harris brothers squabble. ;) Nice to know how my boys will sound in a few years. "You're not the boss of me!"

PattiTheWicked
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Poor Phil. He looked like crap last night.

However, did you notice on "After the Catch" he was chewing gum the whole time and not smoking? I don't know if he's quit or not, but he sure looks a hell of a lot better than when they filmed the "coughing up blood" episode.

And those Harris boys are adorable.

sheadakota
06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I was looking at that chest film last nigh t(Phil's) It was hard to see as they didn't give it much air time, but my Hubby (an anestheiologist) thought he saw a nodule on the field- as in lung Cancer- ooo I hope Phil is okay- he really did look like crap-

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
He sounded awful. He looked worse. Definitely hoping all's well that end's well -

Soccer Mom
06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Adding my concern for Capn Phil. Y'all know I'm a Cornelia Marie gal!

Jenan Mac
06-25-2008, 09:39 PM
This article might shed some light on some of it:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/services/content/entertainment/tv/stories/2008/05/05/deadliest_0506.html?cxtype=rss

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Whew... Capt. Phil's my favorite - just behind Capt. John. And Phil's boys are just too cute (makes me wish I was about 15 years younger... sigh...)

I had to laugh when Capt. Keith was going through the resumes, and came across the one guy who used his bail bondsman and his parole officer as character references...

sheadakota
06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
This article might shed some light on some of it:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/services/content/entertainment/tv/stories/2008/05/05/deadliest_0506.html?cxtype=rss
Oooo That is NOT a good diagnoses.

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
No, but it's treatable - I just hope it all works out ok.

plaidearthworm
06-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the article link, glad to know what happened. I noticed that Phil wasn't smoking, too, and now I wonder if his close call means he's taking better care of himself--at least for a while.

plaidearthworm
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
And did anyone else notice how freaked out Murray looked when Phil talked about dying out at sea? As for After the Catch, hearing how the Hilstrand boys took care of their dad nearly made me cry.