PDA

View Full Version : This is good, right?

donut
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I just got this in my inbox:

S**** S*** loved the manuscript and will be contacting you shortly.
My best,
J
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
J is a friend of a friend who works at an agency, but not a literary agency. They handle actors, film scripts, television pilots, and very occasionally writers, when the writers have written something easily adaptable to film or television.

I would never have written to this guy in a million years if my friend hadn't suggested it, but I figured what the hell? It was unlikely to hurt, and if he or someone else there liked my writing enough, maybe someday they'd handle a film script for me. But it was such a huuuuge long shot for anything to come out of it (because my MS isn't particularly filmic), I wasn't terribly concerned.

So I sent him my MS a month ago, and he said he'd forward it to S**** S*** who sometimes handles books, and I didn't expect to hear anything more. I mean, he'd already done what was necessary to fulfill any obligation to our common friend, and that was that.

So I really can't say how shocked I am to hear this. And honestly I still don't know what it means. Even if she liked the MS, it's still not a movie or tv show. Maybe she's going to recommend me to someone else in the industry? Which would still be incredibly awesome. Or maybe she's just going to tell me that she loves it but there's nothing more she can do? Or... I really don't know. This is a complete shock -- I really didn't expect to hear anything from this agency again.

I guess my next move is to research the hell out of SS, since I really don't know much about her. Any other suggestions?

p.s. It's killing me that I'm in Europe right now and everyone I know is asleep! I need to talk to someone!

Pat~
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
It's hard to know how to interpret that, but fingers crossed for you!

donut
04-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for replying. I guess nobody's too sure what this means, but I think it's probably a good thing rather than a bad thing. I've researched the agent a bit now, and she has an excellent track record of selling film rights on behalf of well-known NY literary agents. So maybe she'll recommend my MS to one of them?

That's what I'm hoping for right now.

Maprilynne
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Someone loves your manuscrip. That's GOOD.:)

Maprilynne

donut
04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Maprilynne. I've been trying just to enjoy that fact, and not to think too much about what it means.

clara bow
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
:hooray:

Little Red Barn
04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
:) Good luck!

LiteraryAspirations
04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey everyone's got to start somewhere, sounds like you've got a great start. Grats! :)

Toothpaste
04-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey keep the fingers crossed, and whatever happens at least you know someone out there who knows his stuff likes your stuff! That's pretty cool!

Aprylwriter
04-04-2007, 01:31 AM
My friend has a literary agent that deals with both film and books. Good luck, and it's great that they actually responded.

Apryl

Will Lavender
04-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Sounds good to me!

But:

Be careful. Scammers abound, as I'm sure you know.

donut
04-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm fairly certain this isn't a scammer, as she has loads of real sales to major production companies, plus relationships with big-name lit agents. Now we'll see if she actually contacts me...

glassquill
04-04-2007, 05:43 AM
:hooray:

Best of luck, donut!

Judg
04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
This sounds good to me. You do realize that you are going to have to come back and let us know how it all works out.

Susie
04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Much good luck and hope it works out great, Donut.

oarsman
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Good luck, Donut! I hope they contact you soon!

Saundra Julian
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Way to go. Congratulations!

donut
04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I hear anything...

donut
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I finally made phone contact with the film agent. It turned out pretty much how I expected.

First she complimented the book, calling it "light," "funny," and "well-balanced." Then she explained that she's a film agent, but she has a lot of literary agents she works closely with. Then she asked if I was looking for an agent, and I said yes. Then she said she would send it on to a particular very well-regarded lit agent, and I said great.

But of course, this particular lit agent is under no obligation to take the book on just because the film agent said so. Really it just means that the MS goes to the top of her pile, and she (ideally) reads it and responds a bit faster than she would to a cold query. But if she doesn't love it -- poof, nothing. I guess maybe then the film agent will send it to someone else, and we'll start over again.

So, all in all, the phone call was good. But nothing really to celebrate yet.

Aprylwriter
04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I think that is something to celebrate! :) I haven't even had a phone conversation with an agency yet, and your MS is at the top of a literary agent's pile. I hope I can make it that far.

Good luck.

donut
04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
You're right, Apryl. Guess I'm just a little impatient... I'm sick of waiting to hear back from agents, and ready to start waiting to hear back from editors! ;)

But I'll have a glass of scotch now, as a mini-celebration.

zahra
04-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I think that's really encouraging news! It really is. She could have just tossed it over her shoulder with a 'Nah, not for me'. The fact that she's recommending it to an agent doesn't mean the agent has to take it on, OK, but it does mean she isn't bullshitting about liking it. Celebrate immediately.:hooray:

maddythemad
04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Lol, I thought it was, "Shit, shit, loved the manuscript." :D Guess I read too quickly.

Anyway, even if nothing comes out of this, it's great that someone read it and liked it! And having a recommendation can be very helpful. Good luck, donut!!

Aprylwriter
04-13-2007, 02:02 AM
I know what you mean donut LOL. A really big literary agency has asked for a partial of my manuscript, and so has Kensington Books; I'm just waiting to hear back from them. You could always edit or work on something else while you're waiting. :)

Apryl

donut
04-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. Apryl, I keep wavering between thinking "All right, time to start something new!" and "I better re-edit the MS in preparation for my next round of queries, when all of the current ones fall through." But hey, I guess I can always shift between projects, right?

Maybe I'll start working on my telepathy, so I can stealthily convince agents and editors to love my MS while they're sleeping.

Maprilynne
04-13-2007, 04:47 AM
A recomendation is a HUGE foot in the door. Seriously. Be really, really glad you got one!!!!:)

Maprilynne

maestrowork
04-13-2007, 04:52 AM
You're one step closer. Congrats.

Soccer Mom
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
A referral to a reputable lit agency is really wonderful. Congrats, donuts.