What does it take for you to quit reading mid-book?

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I don't know if it's a writer thing or an anal-retentive thing, but I almost never put down a book without finishing it.

This week I've been reading a TERRIBLE novel by an author I usually enjoy. It's drowning in paper-thin, annoying, morally unlikeable protagonists with unlikely motivations and bizarre over-dramatic reactions to a convoluted, illogical plot. I finally figured out this afternoon that life's too short for me to put myself through this torture and I (gulp) removed my bookmark. I feel like I dumped a blind kitten.

I know even great authors must occasionally kick out a junker and that people's preferences are different, so I don't mean to bash authors with this post. Without naming names, could you discuss what it takes for you to give up on a book mid-story? Is it easy for you to do or difficult, like it is for me? Why?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I always force myself to make it to the end of chapter 5, no matter what. I figure I can forgive a lame beginning if the story starts to pick up later, but if by the fifth chapter, there isn't SOMETHING happening that I care about, no point in continuing. By then, I'll know if I like or dislike the writing style, if the characters are interesting, etc.

I got a book recently that is the biggest culprit of "as you know, Bob..." writing I have EVER seen. I couldn't BELIEVE it was published. I made it to chapter 5, but I really had to force myself...even though I was driven to continue by the trainwreck-fascination with "OMG, did someone really write this?". LOL

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't even get to mid-way. If I haven't seen something I enjoy about a book in 15 or 20 pages, I'll probably set it aside and never pick it up again. Of course, sometimes I'm in the mood for one type of book (say, a mystery) and at other times something else. I try not to even start on a book if it's not really what I want to read at the moment.

There's too many great books I will never have time to read; I don't want to waste my time on one I get nothing out of.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For myself, it is bad enough to pay money for something I don't use--but paying for something I actively dislike and find unpleasant is worse. If the book isn't good, and isn't showing promise of improvement, I stop. 1st pages, 50th page, at any point that I judge I won't enjoy the rest book. Then to goes to a charity shopl in the hopes someone else will get my money's worth :)

Reaction score
This week I've been reading a TERRIBLE novel by an author I usually enjoy. It's drowning in paper-thin, annoying, morally unlikeable protagonists with unlikely motivations and bizarre over-dramatic reactions to a convoluted, illogical plot. I finally figured out this afternoon that life's too short for me to put myself through this torture and I (gulp) removed my bookmark. I feel like I dumped a blind kitten.

What book? PM me! :D

I got a book recently that is the biggest culprit of "as you know, Bob..." writing I have EVER seen. I couldn't BELIEVE it was published. I made it to chapter 5, but I really had to force myself...even though I was driven to continue by the trainwreck-fascination with "OMG, did someone really write this?". LOL

What book? PM me! :D

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I put it aside the minute I get bored with any part of the story. sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a certain type of story, but it might interest me later.

I then pick up another book to read and after finishing it, I'll go back to the first one. If it still bores me, it goes into the box with other books to be sold at the annual garage sale.

It's usually the characters that turn me off, or the author preaching about his favorite cause.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm terribly fickle - if I'm not hooked by the first 20 pages, the book is closed and given away to someone else.

Sometimes I don't even wait that long.

Rob B

Registered
Reaction score
Writerterri is my favorite person at AW, so whatever she posts I agree with.
Burn it. Life is too short to drink bad wine, even if you're an alcho...no, bookoholic.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I had a discussion with a friend about this. She feels compelled to finish any book she starts. I will stop reading when I get too bored/frustrated/annoyed. I told her every book isn't right for every person. Life is too short to force your way through one you don't like when you could be reading one you do.

The last book I set aside was a fantasy set in biblical times. I knew the author was christian and expected the book to have religous themes. I'm not christian, but I liked writing in the first few pages and I'm open minded. After 80 pages of being bashed about the head and shoulders with the author's beliefs (ow I get it already ow!) I gave up and tossed the book in the goodwill box. It was disappointing because I did like the characters. It's fine to have a point of view, but don't bludgeon the reader with it!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writerterri is my favorite person at AW, so whatever she posts I agree with.
Burn it. Life is too short to drink bad wine, even if you're an alcho...no, bookoholic.

:e2flowers

I see you found office party. Welcome aboard!

I'm not really naughty--it's all fiction. Ask anybody. :D

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest thing that will make me stop mid-book is boredom. A boring book is worse than a shitty book, IMO. I've got a couple books that I set down and never bothered to pick back up because they were so lame.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was read Sword of Shannarra for the 3rd time in my life, just pissed at the author for sucking so bad, pissed at myself for knowing this and reading it anyway, and pissed that there was still 300 pages to go.

Someone RP'ed me or PM'ed me or something, saying to effect "This isn't high school. You're allowed to stop reading a book that sucks."

Best advice I've gotten all year. Book in woodchipper, everyone happy.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
If I can't get into the book and I'm just counting the pages until the end of the chapter so I can put it down, I stop and find a new one.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Bad writing, lots of bland filler, lack of conflict, or annoying characters who show no promise of dying violently within the next few chapters. Sometimes, I stop reading a book midway through because of simple forgetfulness. Sometimes I'll pick up a book, read for most of the night, then crash and forget I ever read/needed to finish the book.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I always read Tsuki's WIPs to the very end, because, you know, there might be a make-out scene.