PDA

View Full Version : [Packager] Alloy Entertainment (Les Morgenstein)

maddythemad
04-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Is this an agent? I saw him (her?) in the acknowledgments of Pretty Little Liars and Flawless, both by Sara Shepard, and Googled him/her. The only results that came up were from P&E, who seemed to think he/she was legit, but I couldn't find any other information. There's no "Les Morgenstein" on agentquery, and I couldn't find any mention of him/her on here either. There was also a "Leslie Morgenstein" listed on P&E, who doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else. I also Googled "17th Street Productions" (which P&E says is their agency), but didn't find a website or anything. Anyone have more information on Les and Leslie? Are they the same person?

Thanks for any info you can give me! It's possible that I'm missing something terribly obvious-- I'm not very computer-savvy. If that's the case, I apologize in advance for wasting everyone's time. :)

~ Maddy

jamiehall
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM
All I've found is a lack of information too - but I looked in the standard books (the Writer's Market, and the Writer's Market "Guide to Literary Agents", both the 2007 editions). So it looks like print and Internet searches are turning up very little information even between the two of them.

CaoPaux
04-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Les(lie) Morgenstein founded 17th Street Productions, which became Alloy, the book packager of "Opal Mehta" infamy.

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2006/04/29/viswanathan_book_deal_raises_more_questions/

maddythemad
04-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Ahh... The Kaavya Viswanathan scandal. Well, if Leslie Morgenstein is associated with that, I might not want to query him. Thanks for the info, guys.

victoriastrauss
04-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Morgenstein is not an agent, anyway, but a book packager specializing in YA material.

This article (http://www.observer.com/20060508/20060508_Sheelah_Kolhatkar_pageone_newsstory3.asp) provides some insight into how Alloy works.

My theory about that scandal is that Viswanathan didn't write the book, and the person who did got lazy.

- Victoria

maddythemad
04-03-2007, 05:27 AM
I wonder why P&E says he's legit? :Shrug:

Provrb1810meggy
04-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Probably because, well, as far as I know, (correct me if I'm mistaken) the Opal Metha thing is an isolated incident. There are quite a few popular books that came from Alloy, including the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series.

maddythemad
04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes, I was just starting to think that as well. I have been reading the acknowledgments on many YA/chick-lit books, and a lot of them seem to come from Alloy. But thanks for pointing that out, Megan. :D

Aprylwriter
04-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Yeah, it sounds like Kaavya hired a ghost writer to write the book, and everyone else thought they would make a lot of money from her. I don't get why people do that. What's the point of being an author if you didn't really write the book? What's the point of writing if you just want to make a lot of money? The good part of being a writer is the effort you put into your writing, no matter how long it takes to get published.

I've just begun reading the fourth book in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." It's pretty good.

Apryl

James D. Macdonald
04-04-2007, 02:02 AM
What's the point of being an author if you didn't really write the book?

My guess is that she (or her parents, or her College Application Coach) wanted to put "Published author" onto her college application.

maddythemad
04-04-2007, 02:59 AM
What's the point of being an author if you didn't really write the book?

My guess is that she (or her parents, or her College Application Coach) wanted to put "Published author" onto her college application.

Hadn't she already gotten into Harvard? I think that was part of her appeal. "Smart! Pretty! Seventeen! .... who cares if she can write a book?"

CaoPaux
01-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Adding link: http://alloyentertainment.com/

ILSinTexas
06-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm bumping up this thread, because I'm thinking about querying Sara Shandler with my MG fantasy. I saw a recent sale she made on Publishers Marketplace, which is similiar to what I write.

Anyone have any experience with her or the agency?

lisa17
05-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Recieved this from Alloy. Is it simply a license to steal? We have reviewed your pitch and sample pages, and would be happy to see a full manuscript. We do want to warn, however, that we do have a project currently on our list that is similar in approach, but we were interested in the tone of your pitch.
What should I do? Send it? Send part of it? Help?

Becca C.
05-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Recieved this from Alloy. Is it simply a license to steal? We have reviewed your pitch and sample pages, and would be happy to see a full manuscript. We do want to warn, however, that we do have a project currently on our list that is similar in approach, but we were interested in the tone of your pitch.

It sounds, to me, more like they're warning you that they may reject simply because they have something a little too similar to your MS already.

Smiley0501
05-25-2012, 04:57 AM
I agree with Becca's comments, but I also say "send it". :) Good luck!

neener
05-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Anyone know how long it takes them to review fulls?

Mustafa
05-26-2012, 07:53 AM

They're not going to steal it. I just got a rejection from another agent (at a different agency) and her reason was that one of her authors had a book very similar that she was already shopping. If she can't place one, she's not going to be able to place two.

ETA: I don't see the submission guidelines for this place. How did you guys know how to submit to them?

lisa17
05-28-2012, 05:27 AM
They're not going to steal it. I just got a rejection from another agent (at a different agency) and her reason was that one of her authors had a book very similar that she was already shopping. If she can't place one, she's not going to be able to place two.

ETA: I don't see the submission guidelines for this place. How did you guys know how to submit to them?

Submission Guidelines here: http://alloyentertainment.com/articles/the-collaborative-initiative/

theresa.mcclinton
08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
All of these posts have been very helpful to me. I am considering querying Alloy with my YA paranormal romance. I guess we'll see what happens! :D

theresa.mcclinton
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I read the other thread on Alloy, but it was geared toward a specific person, and toward the "packager" known as Alloy.

I'm new to the term, "packager." I read a bit about what everyone has said, how they come up with the ideas, hire authors to write a book, then keep half the royalties and all the movie rights to the books. But I ran into an author on Twitter who just released her debut novel with Allow Entertainment:

http://alloyentertainment.com/authors/elena-perez/

And she just queried them, here:

http://alloyentertainment.com/articles/the-collaborative-initiative/

She launched her book in July.

My question is, if you aren't one of those authors who are hired by Alloy to write a book (which I see nothing wrong with, as long as you know what you're getting in to) then is Alloy a good publisher?

I see many well known, successful books and book series done through them. Does anyone know how their editors are, how the exposure is, and how well authors tend to do sales wise when they weren't hired outright by Allow to write a book/series?

If anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Polenth
08-08-2012, 10:30 AM
On their own site it notes:

Acquired projects will be shaped by The Collaborative and the author together, before determining the next steps for publication. AE will retain the rights to produce each property in film, television, and new media. Authors will share in profits, across all platforms.Which doesn't sound different to the way they handle their other projects, other than the initial idea coming from outside. I'd be cautious about what rights they're going to take, as the book packaging rights deals aren't the best. You don't want to give anyone the right to fire you and get someone else to finish the series in your place.

AlishaS
08-08-2012, 11:18 PM
In there guidlines is there's this line...

Please also note that we are only interested in manuscripts which have not previously been submitted to publishing houses.

Are they talking like the big six? Or any press. I have a manuscript out with only a few smaller (more ebook scale) presses, do you think I could still submit?

triceretops
08-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Wait until those submissions come back with a rejection and are cleared. Then go ahead and submit to them. Just to be on the safe side.

Undercover
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I haven't seen this one before. It's a new listing in my Book Markets for Children's Writers 2013 book:

http://alloyentertainment.com/articles/the-collaborative-initiative/

It says it's owned by Warner Bros. This one's a little different. It collaborates with authors to prepare books for publication and helps place them with the appropriate publishers, but retains all the rights to produce the properties in film, television and new media. Alloy, which was acquired by Warner Brothers Television Group last year, is the developer of "Pretty Little Liars" "Gossip Girl" and "Vampire Diaries."

It says you can submit to an email address they've provided, but it just comes up MAILER DAEMON and rejects it. The same email is listed in the Market Book, so somebody either made a boo-boo or it's closed.

Has anyone got any info on these guys?

triceretops
10-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Yep: I got a failure notice too. Somebody have the correct sub address?

tri

profen4
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I submitted to them awhile ago. They asked for full, and then we had some back-and-forth about the series I had proposed. Ultimately my submission was rejected b/c they had a similar project on their books already, but I was told I could submit another project in the future.

I found their dealings with me very courteous, and professional.

What email address did you use? I don't have my email on this device, but I can post the email address I used when I get home. But it was the one on their site, I'm sure.

triceretops
10-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I used this one:

thecollaborative@alloyentertainment.com

Delivery Failure.

tri

triceretops
10-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Here's the response I got from them on FB:

Hi Chris,
Alloy Entertainment commented on their Wall post.
Alloy Entertainment wrote: "We are currently having technical difficulties with that email address. In the meantime, you can send your submissions to kmcgee@alloyentertainment.com."

profen4
10-04-2012, 12:11 AM
That was the address I used. Glad to see that you got it sorted out. Best of luck with your submission!

Undercover
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I contacted Katie McGee about my submission (since it's been a while) and she responded today saying that they were backed up on their submission email and will get to it soon. The failure was mainly due to the move in offices. They are starting to catch up now so I was wondering, (since there were others in this thread that submitted) has anyone heard back from them?

IrishLass
02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I submitted to them over a year ago and heard back in two weeks (rejected because they weren't looking for paranormal at the time). Tried again with a contemporary suspense in January, but haven't heard anything yet - it was six weeks yesterday.

IrishLass
03-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I got a full request from the on the 27th! :)

triceretops
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Good for you, Irishlass. You must have copped that off of five pages, eh?

I think I'm going to let my agent handle this one and give her both addresses--the one to Katie and the other one.

tri

IrishLass
03-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Thanks, Tri! And yes, I sent in the first five pages of a work in progress. They say in the submission guidelines that they accept partial manuscripts so I thought I's give it a try. Normally, there would be no way I would do that, but since Alloy is a book packager I figure the whole point is to work with them on it. We'll see.

IrishLass
04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Heard back from Alloy today. They found my 'concept interesting and definitely suspenseful', but they have a few projects that are similar to mine and are passing. :(

At least it got farther than my last submission to them. I might try them again down the road if I come up with anything else.

CaoPaux
05-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Alloy has licensed assorted properties to Amazon for its Kindle Worlds program. Main discussion is here: Fanfiction just went legit. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270608)

StrawberryTall
07-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Has anyone had any recent dealings with the Collaborative wing of Alloy Entertainment? Any idea what their turn around time is on a full request?

Undercover
07-22-2013, 06:40 PM
I've been waiting on a submission for mmm, about 9 months now. I nudged Katie McGee a few times. She said they had some technical failure with their email when they moved offices. That was back in Feb. She said she'd get to it as soon as she can. But then I nudged months later and she said she lost it and to resend. That was in May. Haven't heard anything since.

I will say however, Katie does respond to nudges and is really polite.

triceretops
07-23-2013, 03:41 AM
I sent in my 2nd YA book--synopsis and first five. We'll see what's up. They say turnaround is about six weeks.

tri

StrawberryTall
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info Undercover and triceratops. I've only been waiting a few weeks. I'll post my stats when I hear.

hester
12-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Bumping thread since I got a full request from them this week :).

I'm not expecting to hear anything for a long while (the holidays and all) but it was a nice surprise...

Undercover
12-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Bumping thread since I got a full request from them this week :).

I'm not expecting to hear anything for a long while (the holidays and all) but it was a nice surprise...

When did you submit, Ann?

I nudged a few times, she got back to me on the first nudge and I had to resend, that was a long time ago. I nudged again and nothing.

hester
12-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi Undercover!

I queried (with a five page sample) on 12/9 and got the full request on 12/18. Crossables crossed and all that :).

triceretops
12-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Damn, hester. That's remarkable that you pulled a full request. You sure did something right. I have not or ever solved the riddle of what their looking for. Could have been my style, I'm sure. Although I've had no problems with either of my subbed YA titles--in fact, I've had contracts offered on both 11 times now. Alloy has always been a mystery to me.

tri

Undercover
12-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I agree with Tri here. Definitely remarkable. You like never hear that. Very very rarely if ever does anyone get that far.

Good Luck with it honey! Please keep us posted.

hester
12-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Awww, thank you so much, tri and Undercover!! I'll definitely update when I hear something. You guys rock!! :)

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-09-2014, 04:21 AM
Hello all! I submitted a query and the first 5 pages of my manuscript on 4/02 and got a full request yesterday (4/07). I wasn't expecting them to respond so quickly, but it was a nice surprise. I sent the full to them last night, and I'm excited to see what they think. I'll keep you updated!

triceretops
04-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Hello all! I submitted a query and the first 5 pages of my manuscript on 4/02 and got a full request yesterday (4/07). I wasn't expecting them to respond so quickly, but it was a nice surprise. I sent the full to them last night, and I'm excited to see what they think. I'll keep you updated!

Now that's a good sign. Pardon, but I've never had any phucking luck with them. You must know the secret (literary) password.

tri

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Now that's a good sign. Pardon, but I've never had any phucking luck with them. You must know the secret (literary) password.

tri

Haha, I don't know about that, I think I just got lucky. I'd been striking out with other agents, so I refined my query before I tried Alloy. Now I'm just playing the waiting game :)

BethanyCM
04-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Has anyone heard back on a full from them?

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Has anyone heard back on a full from them?

I'm still waiting. It's been nineteen days, but I'm going to give it a full month before I start worrying. I'll keep you updated.

-Anne

Old Hack
04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
It's important to realise that packagers work differently to publishers.

I don't know for sure how Alloy works, but in my experience (I was a commissioning editor at a non-fiction packager for a few years, and have been involved with several packagers and packaged projects), authors who write for packagers don't get paid an advance and royalties: they get paid a flat fee, and that's that. In return for that fee they sign away all rights to the work to the packager, in perpetuity.

That means that if a packager signs you up to write a series which you created, you could find yourself thrown off the project and other writers writing books in that series under your name.

There was a famous case a while back where a writer built up a successful series of books and was then replaced by other cheaper writers. If I remember rightly she wasn't allowed to publish books under her own name as she'd signed that away when she signed up to the packager. I'm sure it's been discussed here.

This might not be the case for Alloy: I don't know. But you do need to understand this, and check out how they work, before you sign up to anything.

BethanyCM
04-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Of course. Alloy's Collaborative Initiative is (described as being) something new to their famous packaging legacy, so we'll see what that means.

profen4
04-27-2014, 01:05 AM
It's important to realise that packagers work differently to publishers.

I don't know for sure how Alloy works, but in my experience (I was a commissioning editor at a non-fiction packager for a few years, and have been involved with several packagers and packaged projects), authors who write for packagers don't get paid an advance and royalties: they get paid a flat fee, and that's that. In return for that fee they sign away all rights to the work to the packager, in perpetuity.

That means that if a packager signs you up to write a series which you created, you could find yourself thrown off the project and other writers writing books in that series under your name.

There was a famous case a while back where a writer built up a successful series of books and was then replaced by other cheaper writers. If I remember rightly she wasn't allowed to publish books under her own name as she'd signed that away when she signed up to the packager. I'm sure it's been discussed here.

This might not be the case for Alloy: I don't know. But you do need to understand this, and check out how they work, before you sign up to anything.

I wonder if that was VAMPIRE DIARIES which was a work-for-hire project given to LJ Smith from Harper Collins and then she was let go and replaced by other writers.

BethanyCM
04-27-2014, 01:47 AM
That did happen to her, to my knowledge. If you sell ownership of your intellectual property, it's a good possibility.

Old Hack
04-27-2014, 10:42 AM
I think that could be the one, Profen: than you.

And Bethany, that's exactly my point: most packagers do require you to grant them all rights, including the copyright, of the works you produce for them, which is why I've counselled caution in this thread.

BethanyCM
04-27-2014, 05:09 PM
At this point, none of us knows what this particular initiative requires or how/whether it differs from their packaging business but in every event - whether with packager or publisher or anyone else - writers should always exercise caution. Thanks for the reminder. I'd hope that anyone subbing to them would know something about the company.

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-27-2014, 09:23 PM
These have been my main concerns while waiting for them to get back to me. If my novel were a standalone piece that would be one thing, but since it's merely the first in a trilogy, I'm a little worried. That being said, I'm not even sure if anyone at Alloy likes my book yet, so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. My father works with contracts for a living (though they deal mostly with cell phones), so I'm hoping he can help be decipher some of the more technical language. From what I've read so far, The Collaborative seeks to work with the author to improve their novel (sort of acting as an editor), and then together they decide the steps for publication. Their rights deals also seem to differ from those of their packaging service. Again, we'll have to wait and see. I'll keep you all updated.

Old Hack
04-28-2014, 12:13 AM
These have been my main concerns while waiting for them to get back to me. If my novel were a standalone piece that would be one thing, but since it's merely the first in a trilogy, I'm a little worried. That being said, I'm not even sure if anyone at Alloy likes my book yet, so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. My father works with contracts for a living (though they deal mostly with cell phones), so I'm hoping he can help be decipher some of the more technical language.

Please don't rely on your father to check a publishing contract for you. He might be very experienced with the contracts he works with but unless he's worked in publishing he won't have the faintest idea what makes a contract good or bad.

From what I've read so far, The Collaborative seeks to work with the author to improve their novel (sort of acting as an editor), and then together they decide the steps for publication. Their rights deals also seem to differ from those of their packaging service. Again, we'll have to wait and see. I'll keep you all updated.

Be careful. Please.

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Old Hack,

Of course I'm not going to rely solely on my father, I'll also consult someone with experience in publishing. And I will definitely be careful, I've worked very hard on my book and don't want to lose the rights to it. Thank you for your concern! :D

-Anne

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Wanted to post some additional information for anyone interested. I looked inside both of the books that Alloy mentions on their website as being a result of the Collaborative ("How to Love" by Katie Cotugno and "The Art of Disappearing" by Elena Perez). On the copyright page, it states that copyright is held by both the author and Alloy Entertainment. So, if someone does publish with them, they are giving up some ownership, but not forfeiting completely, so at least they won't be booted from the project. I'll keep you updated as I hear more.

BethanyCM
07-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Ann!e Stone, formerly of Harlequ!nTeen, tweeted that she's moved to Alloy as YA editor (and more) earlier this month. She said there's some lag time for requested material as she takes over responsibilities, just fyi.

IdrisG
07-30-2014, 04:58 AM
According to Mediabistro, Alloy Entertainment has opened up a digital imprint by the same name specializing in teen, new adult, and commercial fiction. They're already set to release three new titles.

Thought that might be of interest to some looking to submit to them. I'm not sure if that's related to their Collaborative in any way.

Undercover
07-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I nudged several times. On the first few times I heard back saying they will get back to me, never did. I'm wondering if it was because of the editor change.

I submitted about a year ago, or longer. Maybe I'll just re-submit and see what happens? I don't know yet.

BethanyCM
07-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Undercover, was it the initial query? Might be a good idea to resend it. I've sent them three queries and heard back each time, even on the two that weren't requests.

J. Anne Bradshaw
08-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Wanted to post an update. I sent my initial query to the Collaborative on April 2nd, and received a full request on April 7th. About a month after the editor change, I nudged Annie Stone (the new YA editor), and heard back the next morning (August 20, 2014). My manuscript, unfortunately, was not what they were looking for, but Ms. Stone did note that if the novel undergoes some revisions, I am welcome to resubmit at any time. I'm going to try my luck elsewhere first, but Alloy has been very courteous to me through this whole process, so I'll definitely keep them in mind.

da1natster
03-12-2015, 01:43 AM
I was thinking of submitting to this agency, but reading through this thread has me a little worried. Is Alloy Entertainment a legit literary agency or should I steer clear?

Krista G.
03-12-2015, 01:58 AM
I was thinking of submitting to this agency, but reading through this thread has me a little worried. Is Alloy Entertainment a legit literary agency or should I steer clear?

Alloy is a book packager, not a literary agency. They come up with a concept that they think will appeal to publishers, then find a writer to put their concept on the page. Different packagers have different terms--sometimes you write for a flat fee, sometimes you don't keep the copyright, etc.--but essentially, you're lending your pen (or keyboard) to the packager's story. Then they turn around and sell the manuscript to a big publisher (and, in Alloy's case, exploit the dramatic rights, since they're also a TV studio).

Many of the franchises that appear in books and on TV were developed by a packager--Alloy owns The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars, for example--and they can be a good way to get a toe into the industry or expand your brand, especially if you're more into the wordsmithing than the crafting of plots and characters. I haven't had any direct dealings with Alloy or any other packager, but I wouldn't be opposed to working with one in the future.

J. Anne Bradshaw
03-12-2015, 02:05 AM

The person above me is correct about how Alloy works in general, but I just wanted to note that The Collaborative (which is what I submitted to) works a little differently. If they accept your manuscript, they will assign a team of editors to work with you to improve upon it, and if the book eventually goes to publication, you will share copyright with Alloy. To my knowledge, authors who are brought on by The Collaborative receive a small advance, and then continue to share in profits down the road. Alloy is a book packager, yes, but The Collaborative is a different project that isn't really connected to that.

da1natster
03-12-2015, 02:28 AM
Hm... is that an unusual thing for agencies to do? I'm thinking I'll probably pass on them..

J. Anne Bradshaw
03-12-2015, 02:55 AM
Hm... is that an unusual thing for agencies to do? I'm thinking I'll probably pass on them..

It is fairly unusual, but they're not a literary agency in the traditional sense of the word, either. I can only speak to the dealings I've had with them personally, and they were very courteous and gave me helpful feedback even when they decided to pass. It all depends on what kind of experience and process you're looking for, but I certainly don't think it would hurt to submit to them if you wanted to.

az shea
03-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Here's the response I got from them on FB:

Hi Chris,
Alloy Entertainment commented on their Wall post.
Alloy Entertainment wrote: "We are currently having technical difficulties with that email address. In the meantime, you can send your submissions to kmcgee@alloyentertainment.com."

This email now gets a
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently and bounces fairly quickly, in about a minute's time.

But I didn't get failure notices for the two addresses off the Alloy website... not a minute later at least. I wrote them almost twenty minutes ago. 8)

CaoPaux
03-08-2016, 10:59 PM
The aforementioned digital imprint is Alloy Entertainment Ė Powered by Amazon, described thusly:
If you have a self-published manuscript and are looking for a hybrid publishing experience, this program is right for you! In addition to AEís creative and marketing expertise, this digital-first imprint has exclusive distribution through Amazonís Kindle Store and support from Amazonís targeted marketing reach.

Anjulee
03-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Has anyone heard of or dealt with them?

Ludens
03-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Has anyone heard of or dealt with them?

I thought I'd seen the name before, so I looked it up in the index. They already have a thread here: Packager Alloy Entertainment (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?60278-Packager-Alloy-Entertainment-%28Les-Morgenstein%29).

Anjulee
03-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks so much, Ludens.

BlossomQueen
07-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Has anyone submitted to them recently? I submitted a query + 3 a few weeks ago and I've been wondering about turn-around time.

zmethos
07-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Not recently, but a few months back someone from Alloy tapped me during a Twitter pitch thingy and I duly sent off my stuff. Never heard back. Followed up but never got any kind of response. So either I ended up in a spam folder, or . . . :Shrug:

triceretops
07-20-2016, 09:13 AM
I've always gotten no response from them. For years.

CheyElizabeth
07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
I have a series published with their Powered by Amazon imprint. They're legit, but I believe they're closed to submissions now. Not sure how their submissions process works since they contacted me last year and that's how I got my book deal. I've had a great experience working with them, for what it's worth.

Tromboli
11-10-2017, 04:34 AM
Anyone know if they're open to submissions or how to submit? Annie Stone has a #MSWL page and sounds like she's open to submissions but the website link sends me to a white page with a "alloy Entertainment" icon in the center and nothing else. Nothing to click at all. So I'm not sure if it's technical difficulty or it's just a holder and their website doesn't take you anywhere.

Edit: Oh! Hmm her twitter now says formerly with Alloy Entertainment.

But then there's a generic Alloy twitter page that shares a submissions email ( thecollaborative@alloyentertainment.com) but no instructions.

Krista G.
11-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Anyone know if they're open to submissions or how to submit? Annie Stone has a #MSWL page and sounds like she's open to submissions but the website link sends me to a white page with a "alloy Entertainment" icon in the center and nothing else. Nothing to click at all. So I'm not sure if it's technical difficulty or it's just a holder and their website doesn't take you anywhere.

Edit: Oh! Hmm her twitter now says formerly with Alloy Entertainment.

But then there's a generic Alloy twitter page that shares a submissions email ( thecollaborative@alloyentertainment.com) but no instructions.

You're probably already aware of this, but for other AWers who might come along, keep in mind that packagers aren't looking for specific manuscripts, just good writers they can hire to bring their own concepts to life. Some packagers do take unrelated samples, but when they're looking for a specific writer for a specific project they're working on, they usually give you some preliminary materials and have you create a three-chapter sample (or whatever). I think they tend to find writers to audition through agents and publishers they've worked with before, so if you're interested in working with a packager, it would probably be a good idea to let your agent and/or editor know so they can help you keep an eye out for opportunities.

CaoPaux
04-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Yep, they stripped their site of everything but logo and contact info in Jan '17, and dropped the info by April.

Emermouse
04-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was curious about this company. I have tried to go to their website on many different devices, but all that comes up, is their logo. Checked Wikipedia, but it wasn’t much help. So now I come to you good people and ask if you can find out if this company is even still in business.

Bergerac
04-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was curious about this company. I have tried to go to their website on many different devices, but all that comes up, is their logo. Checked Wikipedia, but it wasn’t much help. So now I come to you good people and ask if you can find out if this company is even still in business.

I have no knowledge of Alloy Entertainment, particularly Leslie Morgenstein the C.E.O., having anything to do with publishing or with novels that haven't yet been published. They are definitely not a literary agency. They are a very active production company, particularly in terms of television but features also. They, like many production companies, occasionally option published books (or unpublished books with a buzz) for adaptation to the screen but they don't ferry books to publishers.

Now, they may have done so at one time but I have some current working knowledge of them, and they are completely focused on screen-television project development.

Clairels
04-23-2018, 09:11 PM
I believe Bergerac is correct. I may be wrong about this, but the last "packaged" book I've heard of them doing was published years ago, and I don't think it sold very well. I remember this because one of their editors went to my college, and I set up a networking meeting with him. He asked my if I was interested in submitting some samples to write this book, but I declined because it wasn't my cup of tea (superheroes, etc.).