PDA

View Full Version : Second Editor asks to see MS

David McAfee
04-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm not even repped yet, and this agent has two editors interested in the MS. This second editor has asked for the whole thing.

Calla Lily
04-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Yay! :hooray:

Good luck!

Hey--it's Holy Week. A good omen, considering your subject matter? :roll:

(I am so going to hell...)

The Scip
04-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Thats great, congrats!

giftedrhonda
04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
So, why is the agent sending it out to editors if he/she isn't repping you? i'm curious...'cause that sounds like representation to me...

David McAfee
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
So, why is the agent sending it out to editors if he/she isn't repping you? i'm curious...'cause that sounds like representation to me...

I thought it was odd, too, but I asked a reputable source here in AW and he told me basically that I shouldn't worry about it b/c an established agent with sales to reputable publishers was interested enough to see if any of the editors she knows would want it. She hasn't offered representation yet, but she's already got interest in the MS.

I ain't gonna complain. It DOES sound like representation, though, I admit.

giftedrhonda
04-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Hmmmm - well, I sure hope that means it works out for you. That would be great!!

Sounds like you're already getting interest. Best of luck to you--keep us posted!!!

Rob B
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
David, I've been up and down the agent arena for a long time, and what the other poster mentioned echoes my sentiments. I have never heard of anyone pre-shopping a book in this manner. Why would an agent not want to formally represent a writer whose manuscripts are being requested by a publisher? And why would an agent take the risk that a writer might sign with another agent (say, for instance, one that the publisher might have a more solid relationship with).

No disrespect meant to the AW source who said this sounded okay, there is something amiss here. As a businessman first, I can tell you that this smells like a set-up for a book-doctoring scam. I'd find out who the publisher is (or are) where your manuscript is being sent, and then I'd take a long, hard look at this agent.
Sorry if I appear negative, but this makes bad business sense to me, all the way around.

David McAfee
04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Rob -

Thanks for the lookout. Believe me, I wouldn't pay a cent to have the book edited if asked. I wouldn't have queried this agent without first checking their sales. HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Knopf, Harlequin, Random House, Harcourt, and Kensington are a few of them. Plus I've actually read a couple of books repped by this person. I'm excited, but cautious. Don't worry, I'm keeping a death grip on my checkbook.

Toothpaste
04-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Well I'll just say good luck, since everyone has basically voiced the big concerns and you seem to have thought things over carefully, so. .. Good Luck!!

LiteraryAspirations
04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey, if they're a reputable agent take the chance to get your foot in the door. As soon as it's in kick the the down. :D

Sury
04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Congratulations and GOOD LUCK, David! Keep us posted. :)

Sury

Dani Dunn
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Congrats!

Claudia Gray
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I have heard of books being pre-shopped in this way. It's not common, but it does happen. One friend of mine sent her book to an agent. The agent handled some fantasy work, but not much, and although she liked the writing, she felt uncertain about whether or not it was commercial. So she sent it to a fantasy editor she knew well and said something along the lines of, "I'm thinking of taking this writer on. Do you think her work has commercial possibilities?" The editor wrote back within a couple days saying, "Not only does it have possibilities, I want it." You checked this agent out, and s/he is a reputable agent; those kinds of agents have connections and communicate with editors all the time, not just to haggle over manuscripts.

In short -- this is indeed good news! Woohoo!

Pisarz
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
This is soooooooooooooo impressive! Did you just start the query process not that long ago? Wow. Congratulations. You are going to be all set, no doubt about it.

Saundra Julian
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Way to go, David. Congratulations! Keep us posted...

Pat~
04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Wonderful news, David! Fingers crossed...