Just want to say thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
To everyone who offered advice on giving my first reading. It went smashingly well -- I didn't pass out or go into labour or anything like that (though I did make a joke about throwing up at the beginning).

Thanks. :Thumbs:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Nothing like threatening to vomit on your audience to keep them in line. :)

Give us details about it!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, please do give us details on every aspect. What were the attendees like? How many? Was the set-up as you'd been led to expect? What did you wear? Yada-yada-yada...

Maryn, demanding content

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It would be even better if you'd just video taped it for us all, actually.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've had two so far. The first was a well-established reading series (weekly) here in Toronto. I read with two other novelists, and we were taken out for dinner prior to the reading. :) The room was fairly small -- there were about 50 people, I guess? -- and set up with small tables. The room was lit by candles, except for the spotlight on the stage/podium (which, by the way, was stinking hot). I sat through two readings and an intermission before it was my turn, but I think I did well. Everyone told me so, in any case. I got some laughter and heard a gasp at one point. I read from the beginning.

My wardrobe is fairly limited; I wore a black top, a distressed jean skirt, and black boots.

My second event was a book club thing hosted by a liquor store here. Again, not the best timing on my (pregnant) part. Everyone came in (around 35 people), had a cocktail and a few glasses of wine, filled up their plates with wraps and salad, and then asked me questions for an hour or so. It was fantastic. I wasn't as nervous, for some reason, though this was more intense, obviously, than a 20-minute reading.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It's a different sort of intensity. I'm not surprised.

But that sounds great! Way to go!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like they both went well. Man, I gotta see if my liquor store wants to host me some day, eh?

Maryn, who's already made arrangements with Subway

Status
Not open for further replies.