PDA

View Full Version : MY APEARANCE YESTERDAY ON A WRITER'S PANEL IN LAS VEGAS

silversisters
04-02-2007, 11:24 AM
April 1. I presented a mini-version of the workshop Phyllice and I will be giving at the Las Vegas Writer's Conference, "From Novice to Novelist...Good Critiques are Valuable" on a writer's panel at the Clark County Library in Las Vegas

About fifty people attended and the entire audience was very engrossed in the talks given by the three panelists. In addition to mine, Jo Wilkins talked about the importance of belonging to writer's groups and Gregory Kompes discussed how to get the most out of attending conferences.

As I was speaking, I realized that a good portion of my advice not only applies to writing but many life experiences in general. For example, I urged people to check their defenses at the door when receiving critiques. Open up and listen to what people are actually telling you. Then analyze what was said and decide which advice is valid and which you choose not to follow.

Does that only have to do with writing? No. If you stop trying to defend what you have done, created, said, etc. and listen to the opinions being offered you might gain some valuable insight. Think about American Idol and the contestants who receive and apply the valid critiques of the judges, and those who stand there qualifying what they have done rather than trying to figure out if this advice will be helpful in their careers. Multiply that by the things you do, say and hear every day and you will see how powerful this is to your life experiences.

Smart people listen. You can never learn enough.

Anyway, after the presentation a man and his young daughter came up to me. The daughter, a young teen, is interested in writing and told her father she hoped I would take the time to talk to her. I was delighted to do so and we spent about ten minutes talking about writing and other things. She was excited, and I loved seeing the light in her eyes. I gave her some advice as well as sharing some of my experiences along the road to becoming a writer and a novelist. She made my day!

MORGAN ST. JAMES
www. silversistersmysteries.com
A CORPSE IN THE SOUP
A zany romp through the world of TV chefs in search of a killer.

Check our website. The audio book is out now and we have a limited number available at a very special price only on our website. $17.95 instead of the normal $23.95.

KCathy
04-02-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm glad you had such a good experience and it sounds like a fascinating and useful subject. Well done!