Did you get more sensitive after havin' babies?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Because there was a time when convincing my older brother I had AIDS on April Fool's Day would have been funny, but based on his lack-of-replyage to any message I send him, I'm guessing he didn't take it as well as I thought he would. Which sucks, 'cause I was giggling all night about it, waiting for his response.

Seriously. We've played worse jokes on each other. The only thing I can think of that's changed between now and then is that he had a son -- 'bout two months ago.

Would having offspring make AIDS in the family less funny?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Ah! Nevermind! Just got an e-mail:

I was really excited for you though, isn't that like achieving Dungeon Master Status in World of Warcraft?

(He means 'cause I'm gay.)

Phew. And all is safe in mah fucked up family land.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
It probably took him all day to figure out how to reply.

I thought from the title your post would be better in research or TIO.
A question you could only ask on the internet.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'd have whupped your ornery little butt, Zach.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You are a very bad man. When I get to China, I'm going to pin you down and pluck out your nose hairs in clumps with my pointiest tweezers until you beg for mercy. (Then I'm going to boil them in bleach, you cootie-ridden thing.)

And I love your brother's response. He's a bad man too.

I would have killed you.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It goes without saying that I hope you never have to really tell him you have AIDS.

That whole crying wolf thing, you know.

It's akin to my mother telling me she has alzheimers. How funny would that be?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I lost a friend to AIDS, so I don't find that funny. Of course, that was in the early 90's, and there are many more treatment options these days.

And to seriously answer your question: after the birth of our first child, my husband turned into a total mush monster. Cries at commercials, and holy crap, don't let a child be sad or hurt on television or he'll bawl like a little girl. So yeah, kids make some people more sensitive.

(and your brother is hilarious)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Did you get more sensitive after havin' babies?

Well, let me tell you...wait *sob* ...darn that Oprah! Okay, so I was gonna say, it really does...ahh, the Geico guy looks like Grandma! *weep* I'm still a man, dammit! Darn these onions! *weep*

I haven't changed a bit.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I guess there are certain things that are inherently not very funny, even if we know it's a joke. Diseases such as AIDS or cancer, etc. because a lot of people have lost loved ones to them. Death in a family (I suppose "my grandma just died" is a tad better than "my son just died"). Sensitive subjects such as suicide, rape, etc. Some people like gallows humor. Some simply find it tasteless and disrespectful. I guess you just have to know the person.

And yes, I am going to whup your hiney with a latex glove...

Reaction score
I guess there are certain things that are inherently not very funny, even if we know it's a joke. Diseases such as AIDS or cancer, etc. because a lot of people have lost loved ones to them. Death in a family (I suppose "my grandma just died" is a tad better than "my son just died"). Sensitive subjects such as suicide, rape, etc. Some people like gallows humor. Some simply find it tasteless and disrespectful. I guess you just have to know the person.

And yes, I am going to whup your hiney with a latex glove...

I'm gallows humour all over. A male friend once made a joke about being raped by a badger (don't ask) and I swear, even though he was dark skinned, he blanched! H realised he'd said something sick and apologised over and over again.

Of course I forgave him, once I'd finished peeing my pants laughing. He was convinced I'd never speak to him again and was surprised that I was tickled by his joke.

Black humour...gotta love it.

I have a friend who told her mother on April Fool's Day that Bill Oddie was dead.

Now that's just taking it too far. :ROFL:

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
It all depends on the audience, nay-sayers. I respect people's right to not find it funny, but when you're my brother and you're me, there are very few things that're funny anymore -- so you have to be terrible.

I learned very early on about the whole 'depends on the audience thing'. I was telling dead baby jokes in class once, then suddenly stopped --horrified-- when our substitute teacher stood up and her big, round and pregnant belly loomed over the desk.

In any case, if I made anyone upset, I'm sorry.

And if anyone thinks I'm a bastard... you're probably right :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't. But you better not catch the AIDS, my boy. I'll finish you off long before I let some pesky mutating virus do the honors.

I love you.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
But on a different note!

For those of you that answered yes about becoming more sensitive, why is that? What changed?

And for those of you that haven't changed a bit, has anyone ever questioned your lack of sensitivity to certain things?

I'm asking this partly 'cause of this (non)thing with my brother, and also because in the homeschool thread there were some people knocking others around 'cause they weren't parents -- 'cause they didn't have the parent-aura and therefore couldn't understand or have good opinions about certain things related to parenting.

Class!... Please discuss :)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i always take great comfort in the old adage "fuck em if they can't take a joke".

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I don't. But you better not catch the AIDS, my boy. I'll finish you off long before I let some pesky mutating virus do the honors.

I love you.

You're sweet, baby. And don't worry -- Zach's safe and monogamous.

You really oughta worry about AIDS catching a bad case of me.

Reaction score
My dad and me do the aids thing.

Hey! Not like in an incestuous way. Now that would be sick...

But, if I get a cold, he'll text me to say, "Don't bring your bloody aids round my house." Or if I forget something on my shopping list, he'll say, "Brain aids. You got t'aids in the brain."

Fuckwit.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've only gotten callouser and callouser, but I think that's time not babies. When they were babies, I was a bit delicate from the lunatic pharmacist in my brain hurling chemicals around.

In seriousness though, I think there is a general tendency to be more sensitive to some things as life progresses. Most people grow acutely aware of how much they have to lose as life's milestones stack up.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It all depends on the audience, nay-sayers.

I did say "you have to know the person." I say some of the darnest things, but only if I know it wouldn't offend that person. However, it doesn't mean "AIDS jokes" are funny on the whole. It just means that your particular audience will find it funny. I have seen comedians bomb so badly on stage because he got the wrong audience -- meanwhile, I was dying laughing inside.

I am usually okay with Chinese/racist/"They don't speak good English" jokes, for example. But catch me on a bad day... yeah, I can be sensitive. And I do hate people when they say "Oh, don't get sensitive." Well, you don't own my emotions. So fuck off. ;)

Last edited:

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I can honestly say my sensitivity level is off the charts since the monkeys invaded. I used to be front row center for any gladiatorial-type sport (bull-riding, hockey, CourTV, C-Span) and now knowing that the whack-job who I once found so amusing was someone's baby, I can't find the humor in it anymore.

The flip-side of bringing life into this world is the clear understanding of that life's end.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
The flip-side of bringing life into this world is the clear understanding of that life's end.

Exactly. I was absolutely INFURIATED last night flipping through the channels and seeing on a news station that some teacher's husband KILLED her 18-year-old lover. Now, granted, I don't know the full story because I missed the introduction to the segment. But come ON. As a father himself, I couldn't believe he so callously ended the life of another parent's son. It just blows me away. Er...okay...that pun was SO not intended!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A member of my family just died and it's still hard for to watch reality TV when they showed people getting hurt or killed on camera. I was like, "Why am I watching this?" and even "Why are they showing us this? Are we THIS morbidly curious as a culture?" My sensitivity level certainly went up a few notch since the funeral.

Reaction score
I guess I have no sensitivity at all. :)

A friend told me that her great-grandmother had died and I burst out laughing. Nerves, I guess. Wondering what to say. Anyway, the first thing she said was, "Oh thank god someone else laughed; my mother told me I was sick for giggling when I heard the news!"

Birds of a feather and all that...