When is flash not short?

dyljos

Banned
Absolute Write Poet Laureate
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.storywar.com
Hmm, when do short stories become flash fiction? Is it at the 1000 word mark? If so, I may have been describing a few stories incorrectly... flash fiction sounds much better though! Is this the right place to post this question, or is this just for flash fiction submission/critiques?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
No, this is a good place to ask - although I'll port this into our discussion forum.

I've seen a range for Flash Fiction. The longest I've seen described as Flash Fiction is 1500 words, Duotrope (which lists markets for flash and other fiction) describes it as 500 words or fewer.

For the purpose of this forum, we've agreed on 1000 words or fewer, but in all honesty, it depends on the publication. They will usually specify their upper length requirements for Flash somewhere on their submissions page.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At its genesis, flash fiction was 100 words or less. It's grown to 1000 and 1500 hundred words, which nudges on what used to be called short short stories. As a purist, I consider flash fiction as 100 words or less.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think most consider under 1000 as flash. Under 2000 are short shorts. and 5000 are thongs.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Flash

An editor can call flash fiction, or anything else, whatever he wants. But technically, from 1,000--2,000 words is a short short.

Flash fiction is really anything from 100--1,000 words, but when a specific editor tells you he wants flash fiction up to 500 words, or up to 1,000 words, or even up to 1,500 words, he isn't defining the category, he's simply telling you how much space he has in his particular magazine, and how short or long he enjoys reading such stories.

Trouble comes when someone reads these guidelines and uses them as a definition of the category itself.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
An editor can call flash fiction, or anything else, whatever he wants. But technically, from 1,000--2,000 words is a short short.

Trouble comes when someone reads these guidelines and uses them as a definition of the category itself.

Too right, James - Nick Andreychuk used to define flash as 55 words - and if you want him to publish your piece, that's what it had to be. But Jim Stitzel allows up to 1000 words - so it varies from editor to editor as far as requirement are concerned.