PDA

View Full Version : Name for hoist/ramp in garage

Carmy
04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
When they lift your car in a garage to work underneath, is there a special name for the hoist/lift thingy they use?

triceretops
04-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I was a mechanic for 25-years. We called it the rack. It is actually a oil-filled hydraulic "lift." It's not a hoist like an "A" frame or cherry picker.
However, you might be better off saying "lift" or "car lift" to make it easier for all potential readers to understand. But in the trade, we called it the rack.

As a service manager I used to order my mechanics to "rack that bitch."

Not to be confused with today's boob job.

Tri:)

Carmy
04-01-2007, 09:29 PM
LOL Many thanks, Tri.

Vanatru
04-02-2007, 06:31 AM
I was a mechanic for 25-years. We called it the rack. It is actually a oil-filled hydraulic "lift." It's not a hoist like an "A" frame or cherry picker.
However, you might be better off saying "lift" or "car lift" to make it easier for all potential readers to understand. But in the trade, we called it the rack.

That deserves a rep point.

WildScribe
04-02-2007, 06:34 AM

Or the witch killings of yesteryear. ;)

Carmy
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
LOL You guys! :D

brianm
04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
And here I thought that was a phrase reserved solely for sailing.

alleycat
04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
When I was a teen and hung around garages (I was a car nut), it was called the rack.

Tri might be right however, uisng "lift" might be better for the average reader to understand.

johnrobison
04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Rack is an obsolete term. Lift is what they say now.

You have center post lifts, where a ram comes up from the floor, and it lifts a platform that lifts the car

You have twin-post lifts (the most common new lift) which have two vertical posts from which four arms swing inward to go under the vehicle being lifted.

You have drive on lifts, where the vehicle drives onto a platform and is lifted, right on its wheels. Drive on lifts are most often used for alignment work, to access the underside while the car is in the air but still "on its feet."

Finally, quite a bit of quick service is done on racks or ramps over a pit, as seen in most Jiffy Lubes. The car isn't lifted at all.

If you follow my signature below you'll see I own and operate quite a few of these lifts in my day job.

Carmy
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks. Yes, it's underneath the car I need my MC to go.