Writing with Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
You sit in front of the screen, you've totally developed the character in your mind, his world, his motivations, what he will do when confronted with your antagonist. The scene is set, the wind blows and your protag wraps his coat around him tighter, he looks off into the dark night and then-

"I'm hungry."

The entire universe you've just created collapses on itself.

So you feed the seven year old his Chef Boy 'R Dee Ravioli and get back in front of the computer.

You prod your memories and start the re-establishment of your universe, the protagonist has his cloak, the wind is blowing he's looking into the darkness and-

"I spilled some Dad."

You go and wipe up the tomato sauce from the carpet, realizing only then you have to scrub it because of the orange stain, so you get the carpet cleaner and the brush and you scrub it and scrub it and scrub it and it's gone.

The clock is ticking now because you only have a few moments of potential peace left so you rush back to the computer screen, think of wind, cloaks, dark, yeah and-

"I'm thirsty Dad".

"Go get it yourself."

"I can't reach the glasses."

You rush to the sink, pull out a glass, fill it up,
"Here," and in a brilliant bit of foresight you say "put it in the sink when you're done."

You're back at the screen, you got your wind, your dark, your coat and

"Dad?"

I know you've all been there.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
This is why I have cats, instead of kids. As long as there is food in a bowl and a clean litter box, they leave me alone. :D
:( Lucky you. Mine sits on top of the monitor and, right as I'm really getting into the story, swats at my face. Sometimes it surprises me so much that I actually fall backwards out of my seat.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, I write with 4 kids underfoot, all under the age of 10. The trick is to care less about the carpet and to keep a basket of Dum-Dums by the desk so when they come in, you can shove a lollypop in their mouth and send 'em out the door.

And another thing that helps is to take the position that you will not interfere with their fights because it's good for them to learn to solve their own problems. Yeah. Unless someone's bleeding, it's none of my business!

And write when your spouse is home, so you can scream, 'Honey, would you take care of that? I'm creating in here!"

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I too have 4 children and struggle with this. The best advice I have is to go with the flow (sounds like you do!). Getting up early or staying up late work. Write on breaks at work. Work out with your partner that you go somewhere (library, coffee shop) for a couple of hours on the weekend. Consistent effort will pay off (she tells herself!).

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that'll work.

It works for me! It helps that I've sold a few things; he's banking on big money at some point. I don't have the heart to tell him that all the clanking of the keyboard is me posting on forums. :D

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
:( Lucky you. Mine sits on top of the monitor and, right as I'm really getting into the story, swats at my face. Sometimes it surprises me so much that I actually fall backwards out of my seat.

You're lucky! Mine likes to sit on the keyboard. Makes it hard to type. Twice I've caught searching ebay for "cat toys". In this picture, she is trying to reset my BIOS password. Sneaky Cat!

cassielaptop.jpg

Last edited:

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
My daughter is 15, and although she is just as demanding as a 3 year old, her demands are not as imperative.

I have a sign on my office door: Do not disturb unless you are:
Broken
Bleeding
or On Fire

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Thing #1-20
Thing #2-14

They both come in to my room and stare at me when I try to write.
(worse than it was when they were little. When they were little they just needed help with the VCR or canopener, and would go away....not now. Suddenly I am interesting....)

So I have a list of chores to be done. I post those on my door.

If you come in here looking at me like you don't have anything better to do....There is a whole list of 'something better to do'.

Like right now.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
A 3 yo and a 8 week old--I write at nap time and late at night after both are in bed. Also, supportive spouses are a Godsend! I make sure he knows ;)

Melanie

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I guess we can't all ignore our kids like some people....

I understand perfectly what you're going through, parkinsonsd. I have an 11-year-old and a 6-year-old. The 6-year-old who only knows the name Dad. Seems he's somehow forgotten there's a mom in the house.

So I end up doing all my writing after everyone has gone to sleep.

Oddly enough, that's also when I do all my drinking, too.

shannp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another who ends up staying up until the wee hours. I grab a few minutes here and there all day long, but with a 13 month old and another due in May, those minutes are going to be few and far between before too long!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
The trick is to care less about the carpet and to keep a basket of Dum-Dums by the desk so when they come in, you can shove a lollypop in their mouth and send 'em out the door.

I love that! Mine are 5 and 3. It amazes me how quickly they can suck a lollypop dry. I wish someone would invent ones that last a couple of hours.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
This is why I only write when my three, almost four, year old is asleep. I write from 10 to 12 at night. They're only little once, so I figure I can either wait or stay up late. Staying up late is the best option for me.

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't change it for the world. It's wonderful to be needed and loved, I expect when they hit the teenage years I'll be told how little I know and how embarassing it is to be seen with them.

But for the moment, it's all part of being Dad.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
The Duchling is 17 months old today. She can't really talk much yet but she's pretty good at letting mommy know what she wants. Newbaby should be here within two weeks. I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty good at letting mommy knows it wants something.

The Duke tries but he just has no control. I write during nap time. So far that's working out pretty well.

Also the Duchling likes to help. She also wants to work the computer. I admire her spirt.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Try it when you are the kid. It's like a schizophrenic nightmare.

Then you're the one doing the spilling ;)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I can't write with kids. No matter how hard I try. First of all, the ink well is never big enough around. No matter how small the child is, I can't get his head through rim of inkwell.

I tried using a bucket, but the initial investment for that quantity of ink is much too high, considering the huge amount of wastage when the child thrashes and struggles while you dip his head in the ink.

It's also physically exhausting to use a child because they are just so blamed heavy. One must use rolls of newsprint to write on because the lines are so thick and irregular.

Even when the child is exhausted from being used as a pen and ceases struggling their necks are too limber to provide a good nib.

Nope, no kids for me, I'll stick with a pen.

Regards,
Scott

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL- these posts are cracking me up. I love the warm seasons. Mine love the outdoors. I have to drag them incide forcibly after dark and dunk them in some bathwater before bed. Prime writing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.