There might be something to this "personalized query" thing....

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have (finally) learned a valuable lesson: personalize your query. Of the 17 I have sent out recently, thus far only two have asked to see material. Both were very personalized letters because I'd read other authors repped by that agent and researched their tastes. I was able to draw a comparison between some existing clients and my own work. I think that helped.

-James A- You told me that ages ago. I shoulda listened.

In any case, I have another request for material from a successful NY agent. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Dude that's seriously awsome congrats! And you really have to wonder then . . . I'm too am guessing it can't just be a coincidence that the two personalised ones got a bite.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
I agree, I've had the same experience. I used to avoid personalizing because it sounded desperate and unprofessional to my ear: "Since you repped so-and-so, I just know you're going to love my book!"

But I found it doesn't bother me as much if I simply state: "I saw you repped such-and-such book, which I really enjoyed," and not try to make any forced comparisons. And this method does seem to get attention -- I've gotten a number of requests this way.

BTW, congrats!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you here too. Best of luck with the agent! :D

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
David, glad you wrote a query that 'worked' for you! Good luck with the NY agent. :)