ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Guesses invited (no fair Googling it). Who said:

"Writers need to take care of themselves and do whatever is necessary to promote themselves and their books."

I'll post the answer after a reasonable number of guesses are offered. (I reserve the right to decide what is "a reasonable number.")

--Ken

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
J. A. Konrath?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I googled and know it's not J.A., but dang it...
he coulda said it!

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Picoult

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Still soliciting guesses . . . will be away from the computer for a few days, but I'll check in early next week.

Looking for a specific name of who said that exact sentence. And again, no fair Googling or otherwise searching . . . guesses only.

Ta ta . . .

--Ken

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I won't guess, seeing that I cheated and I know exactly who said it, but I will say I'm shocked. The person is usually somebody totally on the side of the author, and I would suspect them to be shaming the publishing houses for not doing more to assist their authors (basically the publishing house's bread and butter). I liked the individual up until now.

Steven Howard

Registered
Reaction score
That pretty much takes the fun out of it. What's the point in guessing if we won't know the answer for another week?

You can have fun by posting more and more absurd "guesses" every day until somebody breaks down and posts the answer.

"Mark Twain"

"Jane Russell"

"Genghis Khan"

"Mr. Ed"

"Joseph of Arimathia"

and so on.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I googled it. I'd rather know the story than the title. So, I'll play fair and won't tell. It was worthwhile to learn about who, what, and where. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Or people can guess & when they get it right, someone who knows can tell them they are.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
That pretty much takes the fun out of it. What's the point in guessing if we won't know the answer for another week?
What's the point of writing a novel if you won't know if it will be accepted for publication for years?

I think y'all can survive a few days while I take a short vacation, eh?

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I won't guess, seeing that I cheated and I know exactly who said it, but I will say I'm shocked. The person is usually somebody totally on the side of the author, and I would suspect them to be shaming the publishing houses for not doing more to assist their authors (basically the publishing house's bread and butter). I liked the individual up until now.
Did you read the entire context? I did not take the sentence unfairly out of context, but the surrounding few paragraphs are important, and I would think would modify your shock.

Yeah, yeah, I am supposed to be away . . . I had to fire up my PC again on account of an unexpected speaking request and to take care of some details for that. As long as it is on I might as well make the usual tour of places I hang out.

--Ken

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I am supposed to be away . . . I had to fire up my PC again on account of an unexpected speaking request and to take care of some details for that. As long as it is on I might as well make the usual tour of places I hang out.
Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Ken, just admit you couldn't stand to see how the thread evolved and had to look. It's okay. We understand.

Dr. Seuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.