Rejected....but a little llight at the end of the tunnel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection yesterday for my book from a epublisher. This is what they said.

Hi, Jimmy,

Thank you for thinking of ******** for Of Blood and the Moon.

We appreciate the time and effort you've given your story. ******** is a leader in the erotic/sensual romantic fiction market, and while elements of your story sounds as though they would fit our needs, the synopsis account of the ending indicates that it doesn't meet our guidelines, which call for a happily-ever-after or happily-for-now conclusion. Your story is interesting and unique, though, and if you at some point decide to alter the ending to an HEA or HFN, please consider resubmitting it to us.

Sincerely,

The ********** Editorial Team

What I was wondering is should I go ahead and change the ending to fit their needs and see if they will take it? It would mean altering the storyline a little for the sequal of my first book but it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just wanting to know what others thought about it. Thanks.

WriterChick

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends how strongly you feel about your current ending. Is it more important that you have the book accepted with an ending you don't personally like as much as the original one? Why not write the alternative "happy" ending they want and see how you feel about it then? Or you could stick to your guns and just look elsewhere. I don't think I'd feel too happy changing something as fundamental to my story just to have one particular publisher accept it. Of course, if several publishers tell you they don't like your ending then you might have to re-consider.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ending

I just got a rejection yesterday for my book from a epublisher. This is what they said.

Hi, Jimmy,

Thank you for thinking of ******** for Of Blood and the Moon.

We appreciate the time and effort you've given your story. ******** is a leader in the erotic/sensual romantic fiction market, and while elements of your story sounds as though they would fit our needs, the synopsis account of the ending indicates that it doesn't meet our guidelines, which call for a happily-ever-after or happily-for-now conclusion. Your story is interesting and unique, though, and if you at some point decide to alter the ending to an HEA or HFN, please consider resubmitting it to us.

Sincerely,

What I was wondering is should I go ahead and change the ending to fit their needs and see if they will take it? It would mean altering the storyline a little for the sequal of my first book but it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just wanting to know what others thought about it. Thanks.

Well, for better or worse, such endings are nearly always required, if you want to sell a romance novel of any sort. If it doesn't have such an ending, it's probably a love story, and not a romance novel, so romance publishers probably won't want it.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I guess it wouldn't hurt to write out the 'Happy' ending to see how I feel about it. Thanks.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. Why not? After all, things can go to pieces rapidly in the beginning of the next book (right after the ending of the first), if you want them to. ;) And it does sound as if they liked it except for the ending. Up to you, though.

Dani Dunn

Huh? What?
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of ending do you already have? In my book, my characters break up, but I still consider it a "happy ending" because she didn't marry him out of convenience. She decided to not lead him on. A few people who read it kept asking me to let them get married, but I don't write fairy tells. I thought it was better to not marry someone just to be comfortable.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sure, why not create a new file and change the ending? You'll have two versions (ends) and can possibly state that in future queries. Depends on how much you value this publisher. Pay attention to what James said too.

I look at it this way. There are three basic endings I'm familiar with:

HEA: The happily ever after.

The 'bitter sweet'

The tragic ending.

I've never written a tragic ending before, thinking that it might go better in mainstream or literary fiction and i don't write that. But I have used the bitter sweet in my lastest urban fantasy, and it worked out so perfectly that a HEA would have ruined it, and not made it plausible.

Tri

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of ending do you already have? In my book, my characters break up, but I still consider it a "happy ending" because she didn't marry him out of convenience. She decided to not lead him on. A few people who read it kept asking me to let them get married, but I don't write fairy tells. I thought it was better to not marry someone just to be comfortable.

Right now the story ends with the hero(who is a creature of the night) leaving his lover and the world of man behind. What he doesn't know is that the heroine is determined to find him no matter what, which could have lead into the next book. But I emailed the epublisher yesterday asking that if my ending was changed would it be accepted. This is what they sent back:

We can't guarantee an acceptance or a turn-down without going through the full editorial and management review process. However, your willingness to revise is a promising quality. With your assurance that you would be willing to work with an editor and change the ending to a HFN, we're going to go ahead and move your submission into the review process, with a note for the reviewers to inform them of your willingness to alter the end. There's no guarantee of acceptance, but the story will now at least go through the next stages of the submissions and review process. Thank you for letting us know that you're open to revising.

Our general response time is 6-8 weeks. If you haven't heard from us by then, please feel free to send a follow-up email.

Warmly,

So now I'm at least back into the waiting to see if 'I just suck mode!':ROFL:

Wish me luck everyone!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I have started to do the rewrite for the new ending for my book. I have to say...I'm starting to like the idea that popped into my haed for a HFN ending. So maybe it won't be to bad to do this. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and keep your fingers crossed for me!:)

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a no......what else would it be.

Well, it's a no.....but oh well.:cry: I guess I really need to sit down and really rethink my story and maybe be do a complete rewrite. Thanks everyone.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I won't let it get me down!

Thanks everyone! I won't let this get me down. I emailed all the publishers I sent it to and told them to withdraw it from submission because it wasn't ready yet and needed to be polished up. They all emailed me back and told me that my idea is unique and interesting and to please submit it to them when it is ready! So I'm just going to knuckle down and get this thing looking good! I already started today and I think I'm on the right track. My big downfall? The dreaded PASSIVE VOICE! I'm working on it now and I think it won't take to long to get this book of mine looking a lot better. So no more self-pitty for me. Wish me luck on the clean up job! Got a lot of work to do!:e2BIC:

Status
Not open for further replies.