Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
This idea was vaugely caused by my "most important part" thread. I'm sending myself on tangents...

What makes a good beginning really work? Be it a short story, or a novel, you know a good beginning when you read one, but you don't always know a bad one. this is because a bad beginning fails to engage you. Therefore, you don't think "why am I not interested?" because you're not interested. You haven't been stirred to think about it, except in extreme cases.

I am, below, going to excerpt an old Roger Zelazny story called Tower of Ice. No matter your genre, you can do worse than read Roger Zelazny.

In what way does this beginning bit work? Does it work? are you interested? Engaged? Why?

Are you NOT interested and engaged? Then tell me why not too.

The dark, horse-shaped beast paused on the icy trail. Head turned to the left and upward, it regarded the cstle atop the glistening mountain, as did its rider.

"No," the man finally stated.

The black beast continued on, ice cracking beneath its cloven metal hoofs, snow blowing about it.

"I'm beginning to suspect that there is no trail," the beast announced after a time. "We've come more than halfway around."

"I know," replied the muffled, green-booted rider. "I might be able to scale the thing, but that would mean leaving you behind."

"Risky," his mount replied. "You know my value in certain situations -- especially the ones you court."

"True. But if it should prove the only way..."

They moved on for some time, pausing periodically to study the prominence.

"Dilvish, there was a gentler part of the slope -- some distance back," the beast announced. "If I'd a good start, I could bear you up qute a distance. Not all the way to the top, but near."

"If that should prove the only way, Black, we'll go that route," the rider replied, breath steaming before him to be whipped away by the wind. "We might as well check further first, though. Hello! What is--"

A dark form came hurtling down the side of the mountain. When it seemed that it was about to strike the ice before them, it spread pale green, batlike wings and pulled itself aloft.It circled, quickly gaining altitude, then dove toward them.

(it's a great story; good luck finding a copy anymore...)

How does it work? From first sentence to last sentence, how does it work?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
PeeDee, thanks! How could I ever have forgotten Dilvish The Damned?

The reason the beginning works is simple. Zelazny was a genius.

I don't know why more people don't read Dilvish stories. I adore them, myself.

But why does the beginning work? Zelazny is a genius, damn straight, I'd give my right arm to write like he does. But I think that's why it makes a good beginning to analyze, specifically because it does work.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
How I see it working:

From a purely technical standpoint, the opening of the story -- the opening of all Zelazny stories -- are deceptively simple. He starts with easy, small sentences about nothing very major. Just a horse trotting around a mountain.

But right from the second line, something occurs that makes you pay attention, that makes you engage. Who is he saying "no" to? Why did he say that? You're coming in on the middle of the conversation, yet no one is around.

Now you're paying attention, and then the horse casually answers the rider. Nothing is made of this. It's written as casually as if it's another human being. Zelazny excells at that.

From there, we begin to by degrees get into the meat of the story. This story, as a whole, is fairly simple to follow all the way through, but even his more complicated works (like Lord of Light, for example, or "The Immortal") begin simply and quietly and slowly.

In short, there is nothing to turn you off. So if you keep reading passively, he slowly brings you in, until you're interested.

This story, and many of his, do not start off with a "bang," as it were. No major event, no exciting twist, no hooking opening line like "He woke up dead, but that didn't explain why he was sore." It just opens, and he begins to tell you the story.

It's sort of the literary equivalent of playing hard to get. He's not inviting you in, not entirely, but if you do come in, he's making you welcome and telling you a good story. But if you were just staring at the page and not paying attention, then it would probably be of no interest to you. But the thing is, that's hard to do, because even playing hard-to-get, Zelazny is inviting. You want to know who Dilvish is talking to. You want to know why the horse talks. And then, once you like the two of them, you want to know how they'll get up the castle. And then, you want to know what this bat-like creature is that's just swooped at them.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
This idea was vaugely caused by my "most important part" thread. I'm sending myself on tangents...

What makes a good beginning really work? Be it a short story, or a novel, you know a good beginning when you read one, but you don't always know a bad one. this is because a bad beginning fails to engage you. Therefore, you don't think "why am I not interested?" because you're not interested. You haven't been stirred to think about it, except in extreme cases.

I am, below, going to excerpt an old Roger Zelazny story called Tower of Ice. No matter your genre, you can do worse than read Roger Zelazny.

In what way does this beginning bit work? Does it work? are you interested? Engaged? Why?

Are you NOT interested and engaged? Then tell me why not too.

(it's a great story; good luck finding a copy anymore...)

How does it work? From first sentence to last sentence, how does it work?
Well, that's kind of a short excerpt but I'd say, besides the general excellent use of english-writing skills, that the key ingredient is that it causes the reader to ask questions.

I've found that that's probably the main key ingredient behind great openings and most popular books in general:

Thay ask questions, inspire curiosity.
The dark, horse-shaped beast paused on the icy trail. Head turned to the left and upward, it regarded the cstle atop the glistening mountain, as did its rider.

The black beast continued on, ice cracking beneath its cloven metal hoofs, snow blowing about it.
Within three sentences, look how many questions he has a reader asking:

What is this man saying "No" to?
Why are they trying to get into that castle?
What is this beast that looks like a horse yet speaks like a man?
Who is this man who can command such a thing?

Who, what, where, why -- all questions aroused by this beginning.

"Risky," his mount replied. "You know my value in certain situations -- especially the ones you court."

He then offers a glimpse into the protagonist:
A man of action who often places himself in risky situations. The reader can admire and follow someone like that.

He also shows the protagonist, through the steed/sidekick, as a man who inspires loyalty and as someone that others are willing to place themselves in danger for. Creating more admiration.

A dark form came hurtling down the side of the mountain. When it seemed that it was about to strike the ice before them, it spread pale green, batlike wings and pulled itself aloft.It circled, quickly gaining altitude, then dove toward them.
Only ten short paragraphs into the story -- CONFLICT and ACTION.

Something comes. The reader doesn't know what but can assume it's not friendly and trouble will ensue. The writer pulls them in with the unanswered questions and now an unresolved conflict.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Those are all good points, but I've never been big on textual analysis. You could have a story that contained all of the elements you've described but wouldn't engage the reader's interest in the same way.

I think at core, creativity is not quantifiable. Why is one tune catchy and another not, even though they follow the same rules and employ the same chord changes?

If all it took was figuring out how it's done, we'd all be great writers, no?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
It's the deceptively simpleness of the words combined with the unexpectedness of the situation, then there's the world-building. He combines descriptive phrases that help you see the world. The beast is not a horse, but a horse-like beast. You get that in your head, then you find out about the cloven hooves. In the gist of the conversation, you also find out about both the beast's and the rider's limitations and abilities.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I agree, rugcat, that you can't quantify creativity, certainly not to the extent that you could duplicate it. You can quantify why a story like this works, but it is scientifically useless, because you couldn't reproduce it. You couldnt' take what you learned from this story and apply it to a Robert Silverberg story, a Dan Brown story, etc. Some of the basics, you could, but each story is different

Nonetheless, I think analysis of creativity can be a delight and a source of enjoyment. I find it fun, when it's outside of my reading time.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I've read very little fiction of this kind, none of it by Zelazny, but I'll take a guess and say that tension between the characters draws the reader in. Horse and rider have feelings about each other; horse wants to be of use, not to be left behind, and rider feels similarly, but whatever mission he's on takes precedence, so horse tries to negotiate. If it were only a gimmick--hey, this horse speaks--that wouldn't grab me. After all, how many people would read a story about Mr. Ed? (Now, that dates me.) But this is a master/servant relationship with a twist, and there's physical danger, besides, which Zelazny subtly introduces. It's not about a phalanx of enemies or an evil-looking sentry, just an icy precipice and a horse that can't manage the slope.

I've been thinking a lot about beginnings, because they give me trouble, so this thread attracted me (aside from PeeDee having started it). Right now, I'm working on the opening of a suspense novel and reading John Le Carre, Graham Greene, and Ernest Hemingway's short stories, trying to find out how they roped in the reader. They all worked differently, but the one thing they all succeeded at was to evoke an emotional response, and I think they achieved this through character, creating tension either between characters or within the MC. Yes, action counts, but I think that that in lesser hands, the Zelazny passage would be just a trick, and if the author couldn't sustain it, you'd put it away after a while.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's a mixture of all the ingredients to draw you into the story and the world immediately and keep you there. It's really that simple. Whether it's the language, or the simplicity of settings, or dialogue, or action or characters -- a great beginning must DRAW YOU IN and keep you there.

Some of the problems with bad beginnings can be described as: too many descriptions, too slow, too much info dump, too many flashbacks, to little happening, not enough tension and conflicts, etc. etc. They all just point to one thing: the readers are reading words, not being transported to the story's world.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Let me see:

The dark, horse-shaped beast paused on the icy trail. Head turned to the left and upward, it regarded the castle atop the glistening mountain, as did its rider.

Immediately we're in the middle of something happening. There's intrigue already -- about the beast. Quickly, we have the who and where. We wonder about the what and when...

Intrigue -- who is the "rider"... a man. What's his purpose? He can communicate with the beast. So we're developing characters right along with the plot.

"I'm beginning to suspect that there is no trail," the beast announced after a time. "We've come more than halfway around."

The world is being built alongside the characters and action, and the plot moves along.

"I know," replied the muffled, green-booted rider. "I might be able to scale the thing, but that would mean leaving you behind."

We are right alongside them, listening to their conversation, trying to figure out what they're trying to do. There's no "let's stop the movie and let me explain things to you" -- in that sense, you are NOW in the movie. There is conflict, concerns, problems. We want to find out how they can solve the problem...

Intrigue, mystery. Keeping the tension.

They moved on for some time, pausing periodically to study the prominence.

"Dilvish, there was a gentler part of the slope -- some distance back," the beast announced. "If I'd a good start, I could bear you up quite a distance. Not all the way to the top, but near."

"If that should prove the only way, Black, we'll go that route," the rider replied, breath steaming before him to be whipped away by the wind. "We might as well check further first, though. Hello! What is--"

Moving along, and we move with them. Plot momentum keeps us interested.

Conflicts. Something extraordinary happens. At the same time, the world is being built but we never stop. Again, it draws us in and keep us there. We have to go along with this ride to find out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.