PDA

View Full Version : I have a block with this sentence, would love some help please

annie.rushden
03-30-2007, 04:14 AM
The illogical arguments he would make were getting harder to deal with.

Any ideas? I keep looking at this one and can't figure out why it sounds so funny.

TheIT
03-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Try swapping the sentence around. What's the subject? The arguments or the speaker's problem with them?

Possibilities:

It was getting harder to deal with his illogical arguments.

Or

I couldn't deal with his illogical arguments anymore.

BottomlessCup
03-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Why not "His illogical arguments were getting harder to deal with." ?

ETA: Cross-post and TheIT's are better.

Rolling Thunder
03-30-2007, 04:37 AM
It reads well but it's passive.

annie.rushden
03-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Yay, thank you so much.

Normally I don't have trouble rewriting, but this part of the book is the low point. I think it is having an impact on my ability to step back a bit.

Thanks again. You're great!

Annie

maestrowork
03-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Yeah, just switch it around (even though the original is perfectly fine grammatically):

It was getting harder to deal with the illogical arguments he would make.

Higgins
03-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, just switch it around (even though the original is perfectly fine grammatically):

It was getting harder to deal with the illogical arguments he would make.

How about: The illogical arguments that he would make (and here you could put a qualification for logical pacing), were getting harder to (deal with?...kind of confusingly vague...you're implying some logical antitheses, but they are even more vague than "illogical") deal with.

I would try: The illogical arguments that he would make about how Sunshine needed a bath were getting harder to dismiss with a mere punch in the nose.

annie.rushden
03-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Heh. At the point of this sentence, it was about anything and everything. I hadn't considered punching him in the nose. That might have helped!

I would try: The illogical arguments that he would make about how Sunshine needed a bath were getting harder to dismiss with a mere punch in the nose.

JAlpha
03-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm with Sokal on this one. I'd go for something immediate and emotional as opposed to passive.

His illogical arguments infuriated me.

But, that's just me, and I am a bit of a drama queen :rant:

carlylyncoe
03-31-2007, 04:03 AM
Give it energy.

This sentence is out of context for us, soooo

we must guess as to the situation.

The illogical arguments he would make were getting harder to deal with.

Angry: His illogical arguments were becoming more difficult to deal with every day.

Sad: His constant illogical arguments were wearing on her, and she was at a loss of what to do.

Frustrated: His illogical arguments were wearing thin and becoming more difficult to handle.

My way: His illogical arguments were finished as far as she was concerned. She had enough of the guessing, head games, and uncertainity of the relationship. She suspected he did this to keep her on her toes; a form of control he liked, even needed.

Hope it helps.. I could be way off base on the situation of the thing so they may not work.
Good luck, Carly