PDA

View Full Version : The Baseball Thread

Pages : [1] 2

WerenCole
03-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Alright folks, the time has come. I have just finished my State of the Red Sox Nation: Spring Training Report. It is long and comprehensive, though maybe a touch rough around the edges. I kind of look at it as practice for taking over Ian Browne's job as the Sox beat writer on mlb.com eventually. If you are a Red Sox fan and have not kept track of what has been happening (I know there are a bunch of you Sox fans here) then pm me (or just post here) and I will send you a copy.

So as to not make this a wasted thread we can have general baseball discussion and Sox arguments here too.

Maybe you want to debate what Verducci, Gammons or Starks has just written on espn.com. That can go here.

Speaking of Verducci, did anybody see this week's Sports Illustrated yet? He was an umpire for a day and did a spring Red Sox v. Orioles game. Interesting article, what do you think?

poetinahat
03-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Not much to add, except that my boy Finn, 17 months, has decided his favorite toy is a baseball. He can say "baseball" and "catch", and we play catch (after a fashion).

I think he can say "Tek" -- but he won't say "Damon".

The 'umpire for a day' article sounds interesting.

The Scip
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I just finished a red sox 2007 preview in my blog, love to hear others thoughts though

alleycat
03-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I'll have to put my Cardinals avatar back up . . .

:-)

Have you ever read Ted William's autobiography, WC?

Little Red Barn
03-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey Hey guys, when did we get this forum?

alleycat
03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey Hey guys, when did we get this forum?
Uh, about last October . . .

Little Red Barn
03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Uh, about last October . . .
o

Jersey Chick
03-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Will you all throw cyber-stuff at me if I confess to being a Yankees fan??

<ducking, just in case> :gone:

aka eraser
03-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I see the Sox ending up where they did last year - third.

Go Jays!

WerenCole
03-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Not much to add, except that my boy Finn, 17 months, has decided his favorite toy is a baseball. He can say "baseball" and "catch", and we play catch (after a fashion).

I think he can say "Tek" -- but he won't say "Damon".

The 'umpire for a day' article sounds interesting.

Good boy. You know how I feel about Jonny Judas.

WerenCole
03-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll have to put my Cardinals avatar back up . . .

:-)

Have you ever read Ted William's autobiography, WC?

I have not, though I might have time this summer. I am currently in a Baseball and Literature class (Eng 391 Topics) and we have been doing a lot of older stuff, Lardner, Spalding. . . we have moved up to Wills Men At Work before moving to Money Ball and Fantasy Land (Lewis and Walker, respectively).

I think the last baseball autobiography I read was Mickey Mantles. . . 1956? Or was it '55? No. . . '56, the "The Dodgers Win the Pennant, The Dodgers Win the Pennant!" in '55. Anyway, it was about his Triple Crown year and I read it 15 years ago or so.

Check out Tony Congligliaro's book too. Good stuff.

WerenCole
03-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Will you all throw cyber-stuff at me if I confess to being a Yankees fan??

<ducking, just in case> :gone:

Nope, just don't start any flamewars at this writers website. I am all for healthy baseball debate, but at least try to bring it back around to writing as well.

Jersey Chick
03-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh, I won't. I have no interest in arguing over which team is better than the next.

The Scip
04-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Not a good start to the season for Schilling today. He just didn't have it at all.

WerenCole
04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Man o man. If this kid can add a couple of mph to each side he will be the ultimate middle reliever. Check out this article about a Creighton pitcher by Alan Schwarz:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/sports/baseball/06pitcher.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

e.dashwood
04-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Let's Go Mets!

MMcC
04-08-2007, 06:28 AM
*Stands here looking smug.*

My family has a skybox. Proceed to hate me.

WerenCole
04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
*Stands here looking smug.*

My family has a skybox. Proceed to hate me.

I will contact you when I start attending BU.

WerenCole
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Tonight folks we have a very special treat. With millions of people in Japan stuck to their televisions we get the two of the greatest legends in modern Japanese baseball history: Ichiro v Matsuzaka. First pitch: 7:05 EST. (Note. . . that is EST in North America. Not Occidental (eastern) standard time.)

From a sports writing perspective this is very interesting as it will be one of the most widely covered single regular season games in the history of sports with upwards of 150 Japanese media who have been following Dice-K since he first touched down in San Diego in December along with the normal glut of Boston sportswriters who are slightly disappointed that they have been relegated to boxed lunches because of the crush of bodies needing to be fed in the media mess hall.

I was looking for a job in baseball the other day and found a couple items listed: "Must be bi-lingual: Japanese."

And I thought studying spanish for the last couple of years was the way to go. Doh!

I will be watching, of course. I believe the game will be broadcast on NESN and ESPN 2 (of course with the WEEI 850 flagship for Bostonians. . . MLB.TV and Audio and perhaps a couple Westwood One stations will pick up the ESPN feed or your local ESPN radio. Normal for big baseball games.)

Have fun.

-WC

Jongfan
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I was so pleased with Beckett's two outings so far.. I feel he will remain a solid starter and add depth to our rotation. There is such an "aura" as usual when baseball season begins and it continues well into the fall...

Looking forward to the season and your take on it as well...Weren

WerenCole
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I was so pleased with Beckett's two outings so far.. I feel he will remain a solid starter and add depth to our rotation. There is such an "aura" as usual when baseball season begins and it continues well into the fall...

Looking forward to the season and your take on it as well...Weren

Feel free to ask any questions or make argumentative statements. There is little I enjoy more than lively baseball discussion.

The Scip
04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree, Becket has looked incredible so far this year. That along with all of the interviews with him saying he feels the best he has in years as far as pitching and mind set right now makes me excited for the rest of the season. I think Dice-K is going to be fun to watch this year. He looked great against the Royals and that gets me excited, until I pinch myself and remember that it was the Royals. As long as he keeps improving, I think we could be in for a great year.

Jongfan
04-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Feel free to ask any questions or make argumentative statements. There is little I enjoy more than lively baseball discussion.

I may just take you up on that ;)
I too enjoy discussing baseball... it is my favorite sport and I usually don't miss a game...

Jongfan
04-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Weren

I am interested on your opinion of both Crisp and Pena...

So far Drew has done well and let's hope he keeps up and stays healthy...

Beckett will continue to do well as long as he trusts his catcher to call the game... MHO

WerenCole
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Pena is likely to approach 350 to 400 AB this year and should be capable of hitting somewhere in the vicinity of 15-20 home runs or more in that stretch while batting a touch under .300. He is a professional hitter. So far it has been frustrating for him to try to get into a game but the idea will be to spell Drew about once every ten days so that Wily can get into the game and give him a fair amount of starts against left handers. He was scheduled to start today against a lefty but we have been rained out (I was at the bar that has DirecTV ready and waiting, but no. . . it just had to rain.)

Wily needs to learn to concentrate more, cut down on strike outs and get his head in the game.

Coco is going to go on a hot streak sooner or later though expect him to get a couple of his starts yanked in favor of getting Wily Mo some at bats. The bottom of the line up is a good place for him right now as it takes pressure off of him and gives us a switch hitter that can create problems with pitching scenarios as Tek, who bats ahead of him, is also a switch hitter.

Barring injury I believe J.D. Drew is about to have his best season as a pro. Quote me on that.

Beckett will be fine, not just fine but great. He had a great spring, great beginning so far, may be the actual ace of the staff unless Dice-K goes absolutely insane. I would expect him to start game 1 of a playoff series for us.

Anything else?

The Scip
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Updated my blog today on Yesterdays Sox game.

Pena hit a blast last night!

aka eraser
04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Uh, Scip...you forgot to mention the score.

Dice who?

:)

My Jays, pounded out, pounded I say, three, count'em, 3 hits and made them count.

Seriously, it was a good game and one the Jays needed. Yeah, it's early, but when your starting 3rd baseman and #5 hitter, and your lead-off hitter and everyday left fielder, AND your stopper are all on the DL then, April/May wins are going to be tough to get.

The Scip
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Does the score really matter? :)

I didn't realize they were your Jays. It was a good game yesterday, the Jays are going to be tough to beat when Glaus and Ryan get back and if Burnett and Halliday can pitch lights out like we know they can the Jays could surprise a lot of people this year.

WerenCole
04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Tough luck loss for Dice-K in this 2-1 win of the Blue Jays over the Red Sox on Tuesday, April 17, 2007. Matsuzaka struck out 10 while allowing three hits and two runs with three walks. All the walks came in the fateful 38 pitch fourth inning that was Dice-K's unraveling.

Though, if that was an unraveling, I like that it was only a two run unraveling. The fact of the matter is that Gustavo Chacin (6 2/3, six hits, one run) (man, I gotta get this guy's cologne. . . and make molotov cocktails out of it) was decent and the Sox yet again could not must enough runs. I wonder if Matsuzaka Mania is taking a toll on their bats. They've gotten up for Beckett and Schilling yet the production is falling off for Wake and Dice. Tavarez is pitching thursday which means we better win behind Wake tonight or this could be a very disappointing series sweep early in the season.

WerenCole
04-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Pena hit a blast last night!

The guy hits home runs of comedic porportions. . . when he can hit the ball. Give the guy a little time to settle in and he should still be a .300 hitter.

Those home runs are fun to watch though. :tongue

The Scip
04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Still pissed at Lugo about missing the ground ball. I know it was ripped up the middle, but he could have at least knocked it down and gotten one out at second, if not a double play. I screamed at the TV after that one.

billythrilly7th
04-20-2007, 02:23 AM
A-Rod

On Fire.

Another walk off homerun.

'Nuff said.

Looking forward to this weekend, Red Sox Nation.

Try and avoid Boston Massacre III if you can.

We're very injured.

Make the most of it or you will pay later in the season.

Good luck.

aka eraser
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
You two have my blessings to beat the crap out of each other.

WerenCole
04-20-2007, 11:21 PM
This is another one on the baseball journalist calendar of "games that I have to cover whether I like it or not" list. Yankees v. Red Sox, 2007: Round 1. First pitch: Friday April 20, 2007. Fenway Park, Boston Massachuesetts 7:07 pm. Andy Pettite v. Curt Schilling.

The Sox need to pounce on the Yanks while their pitching staff is in utter disarray and we are sending out the # 1,2,3 pitchers. Has to be a sweep, anything else is a failure. My friend thinks we will outscore them 30-5 this weekend. I think more like 20-9 or so. Three runs a game by the Yanks seems about right. The Sox have gone 9 straight games allowing three runs or less, the longest such streak since 1994 (when they were leading the division before the strike. That was the good ole Roger Clemens/Frank Viola days and Wake's first year with the team).

This is the type of time that A-Rod snaps out of his hot streak, gets a beat down by Tek and bats .260 until mid-June. Anyway, he can't keep this up. His comments about "I haven't smiled this much since my daughter was born" (in Nov. 2004) are about to stop. Neurotic A-Rod is going to be quiet in this series. That is, as long as he is the normal A-Rod with a stick up his butt. If he is as loose and casual now, as he claims, then it could be problematic.

Sox need to score runs. Bottom line. Pitching will limit the Yanks to a certain extent, but there is no Chacin, Weinke throwing a great game, Halladay (great comeback by the way yesterday. Frank, what were they thinking about when they took Doc out of the game?) of King Felix standing in the way right now. They got Pettite, who is decent against the Sox but that was long ago and a couple of fillers. Must. . . score .. . in. . . bunches.

Dice-K against the Yanks in Fenway on Sunday will be another mass-media event and a sports writers wet dream. If he strikes out 10 again then it will become one of those days in the lore of the rivarly and make for great commentary by the journalist leading up to next weekend's series in the Bronx (where I think Dice-K would go on Friday).

Right On with the Fun Baseball Weekend. Attending the William and Mary v. VCU game tomorrow and will write a game narrative for it. This is Weren Cole, over and out.

sgtmrb03
04-28-2007, 07:50 AM
The Sox should win the East. With the Yankees throwing AA pitchers out there every night, they could score eight runs a game and barely break .500. The Sox have the strongest top three out there right now. And Papelbon. Lights out. RIP, Eric Gagne :-(

sgtmrb03
04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
P.S. Does Papelbon have a theme song at Fenway? He has such a babyface until he sets. Maybe "Looks That Kill?"

MMcC
04-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey, speaking of songs...

Do any of you remember the song they used to play before and after the games back in the 70's? I know every word, but never did find the title, artist, or anyone who could tell me where to find it. It went like this:

It's summer again up in Boston
the Red Sox are playing today.
And once that first ball has been tossed in
another game gets underway.

The batters are swinging like crazy.
The outfield is holding their own.
It's so good to be back in old Fenway;
I consider it my second home.

Hail, hail Red Sox!
We're all here to lend you a hand.
Go, go, Red Sox!
The best gosh darn team in the land!

(Now you all know both how old I am and how OCD about my boys I am.)

Jongfan
04-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Pena just needs to learn patience at the plate and will prove his ability to be a power hitter. I remember Ortiz saying "When he connects with the ball, watch out." His grand slam was just the pick me up he needed. I feel he will add more this year.

So far, even though there have been many errors, I feel we have taken advantage of most opportunities to score. As always, the season's energy is great, the players look good overall.

I think we will take 2 out of 3 this weekend against the Yanks. Just my prediction.

WerenCole
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Considering that we started the season 4-4, our 16-8 record is just that much more impressive. Considering that we do not play today we are guaranteed to have our biggest division lead after the month of April ever. The previous high was three games done three times, most recently 2004. (1904 and 1918, also World Series years were the others.) The lead should be between 3.5-4.5 depending on the Jays results tonight.

Good good. We are half way done with one of my goals for the year: win the season series against the Yanks. 5 down, five to go. Bueno.

Jongfan
04-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Did you notice there was no energy at the park this weekend?

Even when the Sox are down, the fans bring tremendous energy to each and every game.

Imagine, here it is only the end of April and the speculation has begun in comparison of previous years the series was won by the Sox. Being this far ahead in April allows minds to wander into October, hoping for a repeat of sleepless nights, extra innings and the chant "Sweep so we can sleep"

WerenCole
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Did you notice there was no energy at the park this weekend?

Well, considering they were in Yankee stadium and there were ten thousand Sox fans yelling really loud at certain points "Lets Go Red Sox". . . no, I didn't notice.

Schill v. Blanton esta noche. How about a two game sweep of the A's?

The Scip
05-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Schill v. Blanton esta noche. How about a two game sweep of the A's?

very possible. Any idea who the A's have going tomorrow?

WerenCole
05-04-2007, 07:09 AM
What is going on with the Dicey K? I hope I don't have to be worried. I figured it was a Yankee since they do that to everybody. Eventually we are going to lose one of these games that he gives up 5 plus.

Timlin on 15 day DL, Hansack recalled. I am strangely fine with this. Of "the old men in the bullpen that aren't going to last" (Piniero, though not that old, is my second) Timlin was my number one. The only thing I was counting on was that Hanson or Delcarmen would be pitching well in AAA when the time came. Neither is the case. I like Hansack though, he has been hot. Last year, this spring and to a certain extent in AAA too. Strike out guy, good for set up roles.

Wondering why Pap didn't close today's game. Interesting to bring in Timlin and Romero for saves. These two days could have easily been losses, yet the last loss we took was with Pap blowing a save. Interesting indeed.

poetinahat
06-05-2007, 06:26 AM
I would just like to note that the Yankees lost again - this time to the White Sox, and the Red Sox are up on the A's, 1-0 in the first inning.

It's a dream season so far. The Sox won't be 13 1/2 up on the Yanks at the end, but it sure is sweet right now.

I grew up in northwest Ohio, and my mom's extended family was in Massachusetts. So, I grew up with three teams to follow: the Tigers, the Indians, and the Red Sox. Times were lean back then. I love watching this season unfold, if only through internet updates.

sgtmrb03
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm an NL fan, but if I had to pick an AL team, it'd be the Sox. How about Schilling today? I didn't see the hit he gave up, but heard it was a legit single. Still, 1-0 wins are hard to come by. Wonder how they'll match up against the Dodgers in the Series.

WerenCole
06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Wonder how they'll match up against the Dodgers in the Series.

I find that highly amusing. . . .

sgtmrb03
06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
It's not so far-fetched. The Sox might make the Series.

My-Immortal
06-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I want a Cubs/Red Sox World Series! (and if Soriano can continue hitting homeruns for the rest of the year like he has over the past week-(3 in just this last game)-the Cubs might have a chance).

(yeah, I'm a die-hard Cubs fan...but I do like the Red Sox in the AL)

Sorry to intrude...back to your discussion. :)

Stretch15
06-18-2007, 01:53 AM
I want a Cubs/Red Sox World Series! (and if Soriano can continue hitting homeruns for the rest of the year like he has over the past week-(3 in just this last game)-the Cubs might have a chance).

(yeah, I'm a die-hard Cubs fan...but I do like the Red Sox in the AL)

Sorry to intrude...back to your discussion. :)

What is up with your Cubbies this year, Immortal? If they would stop fighting amongst themselves (and other teams) and focus on playing, the Central Division is ripe for the taking.

It is only a matter of time before Zambrano has another meltdown and breaks his pitching hand after punching a wall in the locker room.

Silver King
06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
What is up with your Cubbies this year...
Lou Piniella.

aka eraser
06-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Rob, I recently signed up at MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp) to listen to audio of Blue Jays games (or any other game I want). It's a pretty good deal. $15 (US) for a whole year.

Occasionally, Jays games are on their pay TV channel, which I don't subscribe to. Radio reception totally sucks here where my computer is so I solved that dilemma quite nicely. Now I get to listen to a static-free ball game whenever I'm at the machine.

MidnightMuse
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Lou Piniella.

:roll:

Sorry - but after so many years of watching Mount Piniella erupt at least once a month here in Seattle . . . let's just say I was glad when he snuck out of his last year with the Mariners. Working the Marlins for two years only fueled his attitude :D

ETA: Oops, that was the Devil Rays, not the Marlins. :D

Lisamer
06-20-2007, 11:56 PM
In my fiction piece, I use a Red Sox fan as an example of a guy who always sets himself up for heartbreak! Ducking and running!

My-Immortal
06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
What is up with your Cubbies this year, Immortal? If they would stop fighting amongst themselves (and other teams) and focus on playing, the Central Division is ripe for the taking.

It is only a matter of time before Zambrano has another meltdown and breaks his pitching hand after punching a wall in the locker room.

<shakes head> Well.....they're the "Cubs". I mean, that says it all, really, doesn't it? I can say that because I have been a Cubs fan my entire life...and despite what they do, and despite a few attempts at trying to find another team to root for, I'm still a Cubs fan. They trade away players for....nothing really....most recently Barrett. Sure, he had his faults but what exactly did the Cubs get for him? A backup catcher and another outfielder--because the Cubs don't have enough outfielders! (Oh...and the Cubs are still paying Barrett something like 1.5 million for not playing for their team! - I wish I could get a job like that!)

On paper, the Cubs 'should' be one of the top teams. On paper, the Cubs 'should' be leading the division. On paper, the Cubs 'should' be talking about winning the World Series...

Unfortunately...it's only on paper.

But hey, the bright spot for the Cubs this year is how badly the White Sox are playing. LOL

Take care all --

poetinahat
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
That MLB.com deal sounds great! I'll look into it.

It doesn't look likely that I'll be signing up for the sports option, let alone keeping pay TV; I can't find anything to watch. And the jerks dropped ESPN from our package... get this... in 2004... between the ALCS and the World Series.

ETA: Clemens lost... again. $28 mil doesn't buy what it used to, eh? Why's everybody so hot about the Yankees, but nobody says a thing about the Rockies? (And this Youkilis fellow. Nice guy. So glad things are working out for him.)

The Scip
06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Why's everybody so hot about the Yankees, but nobody says a thing about the Rockies?

IMO, because the Yankees are a HUGE market with lots of fans and the Rockies are a small market with not as many fans. If the Rockies keep playing this way, in Late July and August we'll be hearing about them on Sportscenter as "coming out of nowhere," but it's only because the espn guys haven't been paying attention to them all season.

My-Immortal
06-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Cubs sweep the White Sox...life is good.

Sorry...just had to post it somewhere...

Okay, back to cheering on the Red Sox....

take care all -

Jongfan
06-25-2007, 07:33 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/wcStory?contentId=6519940&MSNHPHMA

R.I.P. Rod Beck..

MidnightMuse
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
You Boston fans might have a gimmie tonight - my Mariners are putting Weaver (1-6 era 8.56) up to pitch against Tavares (5-4 era 4.50).

ETA: Seattle 9 Boston 4 :D

My-Immortal
06-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I gotta say...maybe the Cubs are trying to realize my ultimate dream (Red Sox vs Cubs in the World Series--though I have to root for the Cubs to win it all). Cubs just swept the Rockies too...6 wins in a row. Now if they can sweep the Brewers next....

take care all -

MidnightMuse
06-28-2007, 07:46 AM
SWEEEEEEP! Mariner's over the Sox in 3 games :D

aka eraser
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank your lads for me Muse. My Jays are slowly getting some of their injured bodies back and are trying to survive a stretch of 18 out of their next 21 games on the road. If they can manage 10-11 wins there, they'll be primed to take a run in August and September.

In the meantime, we need all the help we can get. ;)

MidnightMuse
06-29-2007, 01:54 AM
Hmmm, it would appear your beloved Jays are destined to come here to Seattle for their next 3 :D

aka eraser
06-29-2007, 04:00 AM
We'll let you win one.

We're good guests. :)

MidnightMuse
06-29-2007, 07:27 AM
How Canadian of you :)

aka eraser
07-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking we were a smidge TOO polite in dropping all 3 games....

It's a treat watching Ichiro play though. You guys are fortunate to be able to watch him 162-plus times. Gotta love guys who play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

WerenCole
07-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Five All-Stars is good. . . I wanted nine yet that might be a touch too much to ask. Oh well.

sgtmrb03
07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Jongfan...I'm late, but I have to give my props to Beck. I'm a life-long Dodger fan, and as much as I hate the Giants, I always respected Beck. Not the best stuff, but he got the job done 286 times. RIP.

WerenCole
07-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I think it may be time to screw our heads back on. It is time to dump Tavarez for Lester and make a trade for a spark plug like we did in aught-four with Cabrera. This season is looking strangely like that year as we got hot early then played .500 ball until late July. We do have a fair amount of games left against against the hapless O's and D-Rays who we own so I am not too worried about being caught. It almost seems that Theo is keeping the reigns on the monster, letting the pitchers get ready for the stretch run...

WerenCole
07-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I called it. Dumped Tavarez for Lester and the 23 year old cancer surviving lefty will start tonight in Cleveland. Good good.

Papi is going to sit for a couple of days with his strained shoulder. He should be alright.

Possible future Sox within the next couple of weeks.
1. Ryan Church (OF- Nationals)
2. Solomon Torres (RP- Pirates)
3. Brian Fuentes (RP- Rockies)
4. Mark Texiera (1B/ DH- Rangers)
5. Jay Payton (OF- Orioles) Note: This is not a distinct possibility as we traded Payton two years ago when he complained of playing time and Boston in general. Though, Epstein could force him to come for outfield depth and Payton would be forced to perform for his next free agent contract.
6. Zack Greinke (RP- Royals) Note: Assuming the Royals trade him. This emotional pitcher is a stud waiting to happen. Things is, the Sox have a couple of those themselves which they may play wait-and-see with.
7/8. Alfredo Amezaga or Josh Willingham: Note: As Ryan Church is listed above I include these two Florida outfielders and the Sox look for a fourth outfielder to finish the season. I have heard no rumors at all pertaining to these players but they look attractive enough if the Sox have their eyes open.

Possible Former Sox-
1. Wily Mo Pena- (OF)- Really, Wily has played such horrid defense that he has played himself out of needed at-bats. Good hitter though and could be dangled to teams such as the Nationals, Padres or Angels with big parks and little power.
2. Kason Gabbard- (P) I love Gabby, really do but with Bucholz and Lester becoming staples in the rotation in the near future (Lester tonight) it may be time to sell high on this clever lefty.
3. Coco Crisp- (OF) Okay, don't rip my head off for this one. Coco would be a big chip only if we made a blockbuster for somebody like Texiera. Though, he is our spark plug right now I do not see him being moved. Just saying it could be a possibility.
4. Craig Hansen (RP- Pawtucket)- Not what we had been expecting from this once dominant college closer. Sell while he still has value.
5. David Murphy- (OF- Pawtucket) Really, with Moss and Ellsbury as potential stalwarts on the Sox roster coming soon it is time to move Murphy. Same could be said for Moss while Ellsbury is untouchable. Sorry PawSox lovers, I know the team is not great right now and these three outfielders are your ONLY offense (the organization has nothing along the line of infielders in the system) but one of them has to go.
6. Julian Tavarez (P) Now that he is out of the rotation he should fetch a decent price for somebody looking for a rubber arm.

That all being said, Ellsbury could be called up to give us that fourth outfielder while Wily Mo is dealt for bull-pen help with the possible inclusion of Julian Tavarez. I have been oddly accurate over the last few years of who the Red Sox have been eyeing (for instance I called the Wily Mo trade months before it happened.) That is why Ryan Church or a guy like Termel Sledge could be on their ways to Boston soon. If not be July 31 then in the off season.

Oh well. Just needed to get that off my chest.

poetinahat
08-13-2007, 05:19 AM
The lead over the Yanks is down to four.

FOUR.

Are the Sox even going to get to the postseason at all this year? Sheesh.

WerenCole
08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey buddy, make that 7 and a half with three games against the Spankees this week. A sweep would be. . . just. . . fun. Embarassment and retribution for the Boston Massacre II (from last season).

Let us revisit the trading season for a second.

Gagne for: Gabbard and Murphy (plus an eighteen year old I have no idea about). Q: Good for ball or bad for ball? A: Bad for ball, very bad. . . at first. Showing signs of turning it around, should revise how we use him. Not an extremely bad trade but Gagne needs to button down the mistakes before Clay Bucholz takes his job starting September 1.

Joel Piniero for: PTBNL. . . always love the imfamous player to be named later. I mean really, as far as I am concerned this was a money in the bank type of trade. Joel has been pitching well for the Cards which means that the player they give us will have to be semi-decent in return. Sign a guy in free agency, give him a chance then trade him. . . . free money. Getting a prospect for a failed adventure.

Wily Modesto Pena for: At first a PTBNL but later it turned into a young man with the surname of Carter. Not bad in a sabermetrics type of move because Carter is a good hitting first baseman and there is next to NOTHING at the corner spots in our farm system and Wily was never going to get out of the Sox dog house where he was never going to see playing time in meaningful situations. Washington is a good spot for Wily where they can live with his horrible defense and launch home runs out of the (presumably smaller) stadium that is being built on the banks of the Anacosta (sp?) river set to open next year. If there is anybody who can hit it out of RFK (the Nats stadium this year) it is Wily Modesto. . . really, I think the guy is going to kill someone with a 490 foot laser one of these days. Carter gives the PawSox some much needed production from the infield and somebody that adds depth in the case that Lowell or Youk or Hinkse suffer any ailments. A: Good for Ball all around.

Final season prediction: With 80 wins and 32 games to play it is presumable that the Sox will will somewhere in the 96-102 win range. . . I am going with 99 (A 19-13 finish. . . could be better than that though) as there is a season ending roadtrip to Minn and Oak that we will probably go about .500 on. To match that the Yankees will need to go 27-5 in the final 32. Considering that they are about to lose 3 games (Tues-Thurs) to the Sox I have my doubts about that actuall happening.

Happy Hunting. . . Pettite v. Dice-K at 7:05 tomorrow night.

aka eraser
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Are the necks of those Bosox uniforms getting a little snug yet?

Just wondering.... ;)

Jongfan
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
No, but the grip I would love to put around the neck of Franconatheresagamegoing on will be quite snug... I mean.. Gagne.. please.. we had Pap and Oki ready to go...but in fine Francona fashion.. let's leave the pitcher in to struggle, load em up and walk em in..

Ok.. my rant here is done... ahhhhhhhhh

aka eraser
09-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah.

Darn those Bluejays all to heck!!!

Don't worry. We'll beat up on the Yankees next. ;)

WerenCole
09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Final Week!

Okay, In my previous post concerning The Nation I said that it was a road trip to Oak and Minn. I was wrong, they are coming to us. 92 Wins. . . need to win 4 out of 6 to reach my "at least 96 games" prediction.

With a magic number of 6 it is presumable that we may need to win all six games to take the division. Yet, we might also say that the Yanks (who have 7 games this week) could lose two and thus leaving us four. The magic number is not a tricky thing. . . we gain one point for every Sox win and one for every Yanks loss.

I saw bugger them up them extremities and sweep the week. Manny should be back, same with Youk. . . at least sometimes this week. With the propensity of Yankees pitchers to throw at Sox batters I might thing that Wang's pitch that hit Youk on the hand was purposeful. It certainly has hurt us.

That being said, we have already clinched a playoff spot. If it turns out to be a wild card I will be most pissed. That is eloquent, I know, but if I have this particular curse of Sox fanatic running through me and I. . .well. This is always a tough time of year for me, alright?

There will probably not be a year ending Sox in Review, as I did for the Spring. Too busy, too much involved with the way I do these things. Oh well.

That being said. . . go Sox! (Frank, next time would you actually try to take more than 1 from them? Damnit!)

Hillary
09-29-2007, 07:05 AM
*punches fist in the air*

RED SOX WON THE DIVISION!

I'm going to go die of happiness. See you all later.

WerenCole
09-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Did I say 96 games?

Hell. I have been saying 96 games since February.

Maybe, just maybe, it will be 97. That is. . . SINCE WE HAVE CLINCHED THE AL EAST AND HOME FIELD THROUGH OUT THE PLAYOFFS. . . that nobody worth a damn will actually be playing in today's game. Give it to the Twins. that being said, I would love the Sox to prove me wrong from my longstanding 96 game prediction as long as in the positive direction.

Tavarez takes the hill today. We elected to go with Playoff Schedule B which means that we will start on Wednesday (With Beckett) and have the series play through 8 days which means that we can have both Beckett and Schilling pitch twice if need be. I would prefer that not be the case though. Sweep. Yes.

Remember '04? (I think I am still there. . .) We started the post season with a sweep of the Angels in the ALDS. Hopefully, that trend will continue.

The Red Sox record against the Halos is 6-4 this year. They are a tough scrappy bunch, those Anaheim Angels of L.A. I do not doubt that they could take two games from us, but with Becket and Schill four times in five games I doubt that they could take three. Really, those guys are both World Series MVPs (Curt in '01 with the D-Backs and BecKKKett in '03 with the Marlins. . . both against the Yankees). Not to mention the whole bloody sock thing.

When we acquired Beckett last year it was said that if he could win 20 games, a Cy Young and lead the Sox to a World Series than it would be justifiable to let the best prospect in the game go (Hanley Ramirez). . . well. . . that is almost two out of three. (Technically 1 out of three but I am pretty sure he will get the Cy). I was disappointed (to say the least) by not making the playoffs last year because Beckett is a beast when it comes to big games. Last year he tended to let up in certain situations in the doldrums of the summer, where as this year he has been much better about finishing batters and games. When it comes to the play offs he will not make a mental slip.

Manny is back. . . Youk and Coco will be fine by Wednesday (and with all the rest that comes with the sporadic play off schedule they should be fine, along with everyone else.) The Sox in general play better with rest as they are a talented team that needs to be healthy to win, as opposed to say. . . Detroit last year which needed to be hot to win and cooled down when they wrapped up the ALCS early land had to wait for the Cards v. Mets series to finish.

What has happened to the Mets? I mean, really.

Alright. No excuses now. Time for the big show.

Jongfan
09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I was offered tickets this week for either Tuesday or Friday... am I kicking my ass now that I chose Tuesday. I was happy to be there for the return of Manny and Youk.. but still.. Friday's division clincher would have just been the ultimate.

Pisarz
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi guys,

Fellow Red Sox Nation member checking in here. I have a (new) snarky sports blog (the link is in my sig) with b5, and I posted a "Guide to Red Sox Nation and That Whole Yankees 'Thing'" that you might enjoy. Check it out!

Let's hear it for Game 2 tonight . . .

Hillary
10-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh Manny, how I love thee!

talps
10-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Friday night can't get here soon enough...

Lisamer
10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Having spent nine years in Boston, I feel guilty saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

GO ROCKIES!!!!!:partyguy:

Pisarz
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Don't feel guilty. It's going to be Rockies vs. Indians anyway.

aka eraser
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't mind that match up. (Sorry Weren.)

talps
10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Thought I'd take the opportunity to bump the Joe Torre thread down, because hey, the man DESERVES a break... and hey, let's rap about the teams still playing!

Delirium. Shock. Another comeback from a big series deficit.

I might have a man crush on Dustin Pedroia.

And now, the team that's been waiting after having just won 21 of 22.

I accept the challenge & look forward to hearing from others who feel likewise...

Lisamer
10-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh no! I was afraid of this! Serious loyalty issues.;)

WerenCole
10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I was actually at Coors Field the last time the Red Sox went to Colorado in June 2004. I have the commemorative game ball to prove it. Interleague play, gotta love it.

Well. There it is. Funny thing, at this point of the season I don't have too much to say. My primary objective is to stay sober through most of the games (ummm, well, from game 5-7 I think I was only sober for game 6 and that was because I had a hangover from game 5).

This thought interrupted by:
A really cute girl in a Red Sox shirt just sat down across from me in the computer lab. Just a tease, I can't hit on a girl in the computer lab. Oh well.

Beckett= ALCS MVP. Yes, this was the right choice. Manny or Youk could have got it too.

Dice-K= Good enough for now.

DP Squared= Double Play Dustin Pedroia. No man Crush involved.

38Schilling= Classic.

Rockies?

Wait. . . THE Colorado Rockies?

You must mean Saint Louis. . . the Dodgers. . . hell, even the Diamondbacks have a little postseason history. . . No. I get it. The Marlins, yes, we are starting the World Series against the Marlins on Wednesday, right?

THE Colorado Rockies?

You have to admit, they are on a "magical" (I hate when people friggin say this) run. Absolutely amazing.

It's over.

Say good night to Rocktober, The Sox are marching into Denver.

Lisamer
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Hopefully, they can deal with the altitude! :)

WerenCole
10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Game One Synopsis:

"So by the time the sixth inning was through, 24 Red Sox had already reached base via a hit or a walk, there were 13 runs on the board, and four Rockies pitchers had combined to throw (ready?) 180 pitches -- to get 18 outs."

Courtesy: ESPN.com

talps
10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
(finally picks self off of floor)

WOO-HOO!!http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy111.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

aka eraser
10-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Congrats. The best team won. :)

Nice to see that old warhorse Timlin pitch well. I've got fond memories of him making the final out in the Jays' first Series win.

talps
10-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks! (he says, presumably on behalf of RSN)

I also felt oddly calm (well, relatively calm... I actually spent the game fighting a 140 pulse as though it were game 7) when Timlin came in. Warhorse is a perfect description for him - he's just tough as nails & as you say, he's been there before - several times now.

Loved seeing both of our Cancer survivors turn hero tonight! Couldn't have happened to batter guys than Lowell & Lester.

What a relief! To think we've been waiting three long years for this! (*grin*)

nerds
10-29-2007, 05:00 PM
:hooray: :banana: :partyguy: :snoopy:

:PartySmil

:e2woo:

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

WerenCole
11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
My friends. . . as the season is over and we are once again on top of the world I will leave off the 2007 season with the final declaration:

The State of the Red Sox Nation is Good.

WerenCole
11-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Alright. . . that being said I promise that I will be up to date on all of the Hot Stove activity and give my full analysis to my fellow fans. . . soon. In season analysis is fun but I think the best part of writing my critiques comes in between November and April. With games the proof is in the numbers. . . it is much more fun to speculate what is going to happen and see if I am right. Promise= More to come.

WerenCole
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Off season update # 1:

Picked up the options on Timlin and Tavarez.

Flirting with Santana.

The Sox are too good to really tool around with the roster, especially with talent coming up. . .pitchers pitchers pitchers. . . Masterson, Bowden, Buc(I like to no-hit the wOes)holz as well as the kids who play the field, Ellsbury, Lowrie, DP Squared (that is Double Play Dustin Pedroia for those not up to my lingo). So, why bother messing with a good thing? A couple (extremely preliminary) predictions:

With a healthy knee Big Papi will once again approach 50 home runs.

Manny Ramirez will once again have a slow April and scorch through the summer until he rests in September with a big Sox lead. Then have a big October.

Bucholz will start 25 games, win 14-17 and get Rookie of the Year votes. He will pitch between 160 and 185 innings with a break somewhere in the middle of the season. He will no hit the wOes once again proving that Baltimore has no right playing professional baseball with the big boys.

Schilling will have a mediocre year of highs and lows, winning 11-13 games with an ERA of 4.50 in his swan song.

Tek will have a down year offensively but help the young pitchers cement their futures. In two to four years he becomes the Sox pitching coach.

No, I will not predict a win total. . . (yet). Wait until I get my hands on the numbers and we will see what happens.

That is all. Have a healthy and safe winter, more in the spring.

WerenCole
01-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Due date for this years Report: March 1.

More around that date. Feel free to ask any baseball related questions.

poetinahat
01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
bolding mine:

Tek will have a down year offensively but help the young pitchers cement their futures. In two to four years he becomes the Sox pitching coach.
Are you sure about that one, bud?

WerenCole
01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Interesting, my dear friend. How have you been anyway? And when do you become a Super Moderator? Granted, I have not been around all that much in the last couple of months, but, really, I think I would have noticed something like that.

It seems to make perfect sense, unless you have information that I do not. The Sox current pitching coach, John Farrell was plucked from the GM's office of the Indians and is quite good at what he does. Yet, if this offseason is any prelude, his name is going to begin coming up as a head coach or general manager around the league soon. We kept him this year, mostly, I think, because the team that sought him was the lowly Pittsburg Pirates. That job is more or less of a lost cause and I do not blame Farrell for not taking it seriously. Though, a somewhat decent job should open within the next couple of years and, just like Bill Belicheck's assistants, he is going to be hard to hold on to.

When Tek retires, which I believe should be within a couple of years, I feel that the Sox will ask him to join the management team in one fashion or another. Both sides have shown a lot of trust and loyalty with each other. Maybe he starts as a bit of an advanced scout type, but the fact of the matter is is that catchers make great pitching coaches and there are few catchers better in the league than Tek in keeping pitchers ready. He understands pitching mechanics, is a extraordinary advanced scout, and knows how to keep the pitchers minds in a general sense of normal and focused. Tek would make an ideal candidate as a future Sox pitching coach. The young guns would trust him and the veterans (if they are still around by then) respect him.

Tek is in a walk year, ie, last year of his four year, $40 million contract he signed after the 2005 season. (If you remember, Jonny Damon was offered the same contract, which he refused, in retrospect, very good for us.) If an extension comes, it is going to be in the range of a 2 year deal. Tek is too old at this point to really configure into Epstein's scheme and I think Tek will understand the limits of his own body and the Sox long going stance of not trying to offer multi-year deals to players above the age of 35, especially catchers, who, as all records indicate, start to drop off significantly after that age. There have been very few 40 year old starting catchers in the history of the league. Presuming that Tek would sign a two year extension, he would be (around) 38 at the end of that contract and would probably retire. That is if another knee or elbow does not blow him out first. It would be at this point that the Sox would hopefully recognize his value and keep him in the organization, in one form or another. Could be similar to a Jason Garret type of thing in Dallas for the Cowboys. He is probably the next head coach, so stick around and we will take care of you.

The only thing that does not come up in this business model is the mindset of said Tek. The guy works hard and it takes a toll, mentally and physically. I imagine that he could take a couple years to himself before starting in on any future baseball related activities.

What do you think?

poetinahat
01-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Wha-- I'm a super mod- how did that happen?! MAC! :D

Good to see you too, comrade. It always seems too long.

I certainly don't have any info that you don't -- far from it! I just imagined that most pitching coaches were former pitchers, owing to knowledge of, and experience with, pitching mechanics. For some reason, I always think of Mel Stottlemyre (probably just because his was the first baseball card I ever had, and... well, that name).

One more thing: If Tek signed a 4-year agreement after the 2005 season, wouldn't this be his third year? On reflection, I seem to recall that he signed the deal after the Series win in 2004.

This is complete conjecture, but I can imagine this: He retires, decides to take time away from the game, and finds he's going nuts without it after one year. He comes back, stays in the Sox organisation, and becomes as revered in Boston as Red Auerbach or Bobby Orr.

Then again, I might have been watching too much cricket.

Jongfan
01-23-2008, 03:54 AM
[QUOTE=WerenCole;1918797]Off season update # 1:

With a healthy knee Big Papi will once again approach 50 home runs.

Manny Ramirez will once again have a slow April and scorch through the summer until he rests in September with a big Sox lead. Then have a big October.

Bucholz will start 25 games, win 14-17 and get Rookie of the Year votes. He will pitch between 160 and 185 innings with a break somewhere in the middle of the season. He will no hit the wOes once again proving that Baltimore has no right playing professional baseball with the big boys.

Schilling will have a mediocre year of highs and lows, winning 11-13 games with an ERA of 4.50 in his swan song.

I have to say, I like and agree with your predictions
Tek brings so much more than offense to this team. Without say, he holds the respect of all pitchers who have ever had the honor of having him behind the plate. My friends and I get into some slightly heated debates when it comes to the numbers. I say, I don't care about his BA, I want him calling the game.

Only a few weeks til Spring Training. Man it's a long winter

WerenCole
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
In terms of Tek's deal. . . without actually look it up. . . I think it was 2005. Four years, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.

I think he techincally signed it around Christmas 2004, but, it was essentially a 2005 deal.

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Ouch!

Schill has got shoulder problems. Doesn't really surprise me.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080207&content_id=2367230&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Pick up Clay Bucholz in your fantasy league now.

What does this mean? Well, it means that Clay "I think the Orioles are a bunch of pissants" Bucholz is going to get a lot more starts, which is good and bad. It also means the Sox probably will not trade or cut Kyle Snyder and Julian Tavarez. Because of his age and development Bucholz has a ceiling of 180 innings this year, which is alright, but 200 plus would be ideal for any starter. Synder and Tavarez will be needed for spot starts to keep his innings down. If Schill can pitch at all this year, which is slightly doubtful, he can help Clay keep those innings down as well.

Love ya Curt buddy. It has been a great career. It may be over. . . two rings ain't bad for your time as a Sock though, huh?

The Scip
02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Don't forget about masterson, he might be up after the all-star break to help out. We've still got a pretty solid 5 man rotation with tavarez as the guy to make spot starts if needed.

WerenCole
02-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Masterson will be a late August type of guy, spot start through the duldrums of late summer and early fall. Just a sniff for him this year. He is another guy who needs to keep and eye on his innings. That is the thing when your draft pitchers. . . you need to let them develop into the stamina horses that a team needs for 6 months of baseball. Ask the Yankees. It is hard to believe that they will have 3 guys in their rotation who should not throw much more than 150 innings. Ian Kennedy is at primary risk of injury the way his innings have been rising the last couple of years. The general rule for developing pitchers is this: Never let a pitcher throw more than 30 plus more innings than his previous career high. For instance, Bucholz last year had a career high in total innings (majors and minors) and the Sox shut him down at 29.2 innings over, I believe. Like a lot of kids that age he got "dead arm" at the end of the season. It happens to old guys too, Timlin had a bit of a dead arm at the end of the 2006 season. So, this year Clay should not throw more than 185 innings, or so.

That being said, Masterson will probably see a total of 15-18 big league innings this year. The assumption there is that he may spell a starter in June or July and then make two rotation spots later in the year as the Sox gear up for the stretch run. Consider every start to be 5-6 innings, presumably with high pitch counts (most kids always ring up the pitches in their first games in the bigs. . . adrenaline and such). Then it is back down to the farm and forced rest until December.

That, or he could be traded for Brandon Lyon or Valverde later in the year.

WerenCole
02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
The boys went to the White House today. Then to Walter Reed veterans hospital. That is what you get when you are World Champs.

The due date for the report was going to be March 1. . . I have to put it out later. It is not a matter of it being bigger or better, just a lack of motivation to write anything really. Sorry. I will keep you posted when I finally get the itch.

WerenCole
03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Well. . . first off I have to say that I am coming a bit slowly on the State of the RSN report.

But:

I got accepted to Boston University for journalism, so maybe I can get paid to go to games and tell you about them in the near future.

For all of you awaiting this years report, just give me a little time. . .

aka eraser
04-07-2008, 12:07 AM
So, Weren - how do you like Marcum and Litsch now?

;)

WerenCole
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I felt that one coming. . .

WerenCole
04-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Today was a feel good day in the recent history of Red Sox lore.

Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch and it seems that he has (somewhat) forgiven the fans and media who have mutilated him for the last twenty years.

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sang God Bless America and apparently it was. . . alright.

The Sox got their rings and the Boston Symphony Orchestra played the national anthem.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is looking quite good this year so far (outside that not so decent start in the Tokyo Dome) and could be in line for an All-Star birth and 18-20 wins. Oh, and the Sox beat up on the vaunted (yet winless) Detroit Tigers 5-0 to even our record at 4-4 with the Yankees coming to town this weekend.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2504102&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

You know what Frank? That is the beauty of baseball. Manny Delcarmen and Frank Thomas episodes are quickly forgotten when Fenway Park is involved. Come south, dear blue birds. . . let us see how you deal in the balmy climate of New England.

WerenCole
04-09-2008, 05:49 AM
That, or he could be traded for Brandon Lyon or Valverde later in the year.

I would like to reiterate that this is a joke, and a bad one at that.

Haggis
04-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch and it seems that he has (somewhat) forgiven the fans and media who have mutilated him for the last twenty years.

Did they wait until the seventh inning stretch before they killed him?

WerenCole
04-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Did they wait until the seventh inning stretch before they killed him?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2504342&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

poetinahat
04-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Mmm. Baseball. It's the best answer to three months of basketball.

I bet the people in Detroit are excited about the Tigers' season starting.*

*: 'Fore you start in, I grew up in Toledo - Mud Hens country, an hour south of Tiger Stadium.

Haggis
04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2504342&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So then they killed him later that night?

Haggis
04-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Mmm. Baseball. It's the best answer to three months of basketball.

It'll be nice when the Tigers start their season too.

Any day, now. Any day....

WerenCole
04-09-2008, 07:46 AM
So then they killed him later that night?

We will just have to wait for tomorrow's headlines, won't we?

WerenCole
06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Time for an update:

I will start with my rants because they are burning me.

Okay, I know that Mike Timlin, aka Father Tim(e), is a great part of the chemistry of this team and the bullpen, but it seems a little overdo for a leave-taking. Last night, with the Sox down 4-2 to the Phightin' Phils Tito brought Mikey into the game and promptly we were down 8-2. I know that it would have been tough to come back against Cole Hamels and the Phillies line-up, but to just completely give up the game in the fifth inning like that does not seem right. Timlin has his role now. . . ie, pitch in losing games and just try to keep it close, but, really, I think it is time we went our seperate ways. He is the active leader in games pitched (eight place all time, about 12 or so behind from seventh, maybe we will keep him until then) and he has become remarkbly inconsistent. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Mikey supporter, but when the Sox had the lefty-righty tandem of Embree and Timlin in '03/'04 it seemed to me that when we cut Embree out of that tandem half-way through '04 that maybe Timlin should have gone with him. For a championship contending team to have a player that you like but hope does not struggle (my friends start pulling their hair out when they see Tim(e) in the bullpen) then it is time to move on. Really. Good run buddy.

The Rays. This is not so much of a rant but an observation. Now that the Rays have found a firm spot in second place all the sport journalists that were on their back last month have seemingly forgotten about them. Perhaps that is good for the Rays, it seems like the hype was going to their heads. They are and will continue to be a good team and will continue to be a contender (I am thinking more in the boxing analogy, and yes, I am taking to you Jonny "The Enforcer" Gomes) but let us remember that these are still the Rays. They are not super human nor are they marked for lasting success. Let's see when some of these young players (not named Longoria, who is locked up for years now) catch the free agent market if the Rays can keep them. Don't forget, in 2005 the Orioles held first place in the AL East until the end of June then fell off the charts (in historic fashion. . . the Rays won't have that type of fall, but a year closer to 81 wins rather than 90 is perhaps reasonable). Another point on Gomes. He now has two cheap shots in brawls this year. First against the Yankees in spring training then the hair pulling of Coco. Classy guy. They don't play hockey in Tampa buddy. (Okay, they do, but as a Maine-er I refuse to take the south of the mason dixon line hockey teams all that seriously.)

Speaking of Coco, I like the fire that he showed in that series. The guy has been frustrated with the playing time and the trade rumors (for the matter Coco actually would appreciate a trade) and I think it has added a little bit of get up and go to show that he is still a major leaguer when he does get in. He then goes to Cincy and spanks two homers. For now I will keep the guy, he has become one of my favorite players for his style (beautiful defense in center and hard play on the base paths as well as being a generally understanding and reasonably classy type in response to his situation) and with Papi out for the near future the outfield combo Ellsbury, Coco and Drew is perhaps the best in baseball in terms of tracking balls down. (Coco and Ellsbury could have better arms, oh well.) Three centerfielders playing the three positions. They are like a vacuume. One thing that Ellsbury could learn from Drew/Crisp in the field: Play under control, sometimes it is better to let that ball bounce than give up a triple.

Drew is just Mr. Steady. They have been talking about his sweet swing and "quiet" bat recently as he has been on his streak. Another announcer mentioned that Drew could be one of those "what if" guys; "What if this guy stayed healthy through out his career." Good question. Scouts, even still after all his time in the big leagues, compare a healthy Drew to Mickey Mantle. Last year was a bust (except for the $14 Million grand slam) but Drew is steady and he did not let Boston get to him. Now he is proving that his contract is (somewhat) justifiable. It brings up the question: Where does Drew hit when Papi comes back? The line-up, for the forseeable future, will probably look like this:

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Papi
Manny
Drew
Lowell
Youkilis
Varitek
Lugo

Does it seem crazy that Lowell and Youk are hitting 6-7 in the line up? The only change I see here is that Dustin and Kevin could be switched in the two and seven spots. The problem is, both are proto-typical number two guys and it is really where they hit best. The other crazy thing about this line up is that the 8-9 hitters are making a combined $19 million (nine for Lugo, ten for Tek. . . yes, Tek deserves that money while Lugo seems to be stealing his).

Dice-K back on Saturday probably. I still think he should be an All-Star despite missing a chunk of time. Papi. . . see my ESPN-AW style post. Beckett rounding into form. Lester pitching well after a minor lull after his No No. Bucholz later in the year? It is like making a big trade for a pitcher at the deadline. Nice organizational depth to be able to do that. Colon and Masterson also there as well. I will not even get into Schilling.

Bullpen a minor problem, but we have three home-grown righties pitching well enough to get us through the close games (Delcarmen, Hansen. . . yes, Hansen, and Papelbon) and Aardsma pitching well enough to justify trading for him. Find a tough lefty if at all possible (a commodity these days. . .I have been trying to make my three month old nephew into a lefty and teach him how to throw a curve. Too early?) on the trade market.

If we avoid major injuries this team should be lined-up for another October battle.

Next Time on Weren's Sox Update: Curt Schilling: Where, When and How?

poetinahat
06-20-2008, 04:11 AM
Ellsbury
Pedroia
Papi
Manny
Drew
Lowell
Youkilis
Varitek
Lugo
Let's just sit back and look at this for a moment.

Looking forward to this one, W.

talps
06-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Kinda lookin' like never after today's news, huh? Unfortunate, but I suppose not too surprising. With the emergence of Masterson and the Colon comeback, at least the Sox are deep... once everyone gets healthy, of course.

How 'bout a Standing O for J.D. Drew's work since Papi went down. I saw that since then, he's been hitting .440 and as a slugging percentage of an astonishing 1.700!

Stayin' afloat & stayin' ahead of the red hot Rays & Yankees. Works for me right now.

Foinah
08-02-2008, 03:30 AM
What's the feeling regarding Manny's trade to LA?

I'm happy. His public face slipped and behind the mask we see the man he might actually be. Living in the fish bowl of Boston scrutiny has always been a sticking point for Manny and now he gets to live in the fair weather fan glow that is LA.

Everyone put up with "Manny being Manny"...yeah, but now he's the dodgers' problem. Club house crap he pulled is now coming to light.

Anyway, today we get to see his replacement in action. Bay has a comparable batting average, RBI, homers -- just a few points off -- but he's been in the National League. As my darling Hubby (Boston born and bred) pointed out NL pitching is weak, but the hitting isn't. We will need his bat to get to October. There is some worry about him coming to AL side of things since he didn't fair too well in interleague play. I just hope people welcome him as a new addition rather than a "Manny" clone/replacement.

Hopefully he'll be a good fit. It would be wild to see a Dodgers/Red Sox world series ;)

And I hope Manny flails in LA. That would be some delightful karma.

Jersey Chick
08-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh.... I dunno who I'd root for? Torre or **gasp, gasp, choke, choke** or--

Nope. I'd have to skip the Series this year. :D

Foinah
08-02-2008, 04:23 AM

You have to admit Torre looks better than he has in years. I'm happy for the man...I even liked him when he was with enemy -- the man dripped class.
Steinbrenner was sucking the life out of him.

I hope Manny doesn't do the same thing...Joe deserves a little peace.

Go Red Sox :hooray:

Oh, and Bay has been on base twice -- walk and hbp...scored the first run in fact. Just made an epic catch that Manny wouldn't even have dogged.

I've got a really good feeling about this guy.

aka eraser
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
The Jays sweep the Twins.

Then they sweep the Rays.

They take the first two from the White Sox (with two to go) making it 10 wins in a row.

Next up?

Hehehe.

Be afraid Red Sox nation. Be very afraid.

Mmm-wah-hahaha!

In truth, as fun as it is to finally see the team playing great ball, it's sad that it's happening about 3-4 weeks too late. Oh well. Being a spoiler is better than nothing. A little better.

gypsyscarlett
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
What? I've been here since April and I've just discovered there's a Red Sox thread?

Ah...another reason to love AW! :snoopy:

gypsyscarlett
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Hi there,

Just curious- why wouldn't you root for Torre? He's always come across as quite classy.

WerenCole
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I write this as I sit in the shadows of Fenway park (well, it is about a five minute walk).

Today we make the playoffs, one way or another. The Yankeeees looooooose, the Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeees lose? Or just another dip into the old Dirty Water?

The Sox, surprisingly enough, are second on the league in runs scored and are actually scoring about a run more a game sans Manny than with the malcontent. Go figure. Yesterday the Sox posted their 16th shutout of the season, impressive.

Things are clicking currently, and that is a good sign. The Rays make me mad but the way we handled Toronto in the last two series against them is encouraging. Yes folks, the Sox can hit good pitching, if you were wondering. Scrape by my boys, but by and by you go.

It would be nice to win the division. Yes. The Rays may have a bit of a let down this last week whereas the Sox are steady as she goes at this point. Rev it up next Wednesday or Thursday, take the first two from the Angels or the White Sox then step on their throats. I mean, it is what we do best, yes?

Frank, your boys gave it a shot. . . then went 2-5 against the Sox in the stretch. Ouch.

Yankees fans? I was hoping you would have been eliminated a couple of days ago. . . but, well, I suppose the last day at the cathedral is better for not also being the day they were toast crumbs on the wind.

Questions, comments, love to hear them.

Weren - the resident baseball expert who is also going to be camping our for playoff tickets in the very near future.

aka eraser
09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
(Grudging) congrats (again!) from this corner. The Jays had the best pitching in baseball this year but it was wasted because they used the wrong end of the bats for the first three months of the season.

Well, at least it took a good Canadian boy to make Bosox fans say "Manny who?"

Rooting for a Tampa/Cubbies Series though. Time for some fresh blood for a change.

Jersey Chick
09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi there,

Just curious- why wouldn't you root for Torre? He's always come across as quite classy.
Because I don't like Manny. I love Torre - I'd love to see him come back (though I know it'd never happen and it isn't that I want to see Gerardi get fired either) He is a class act, but I can't root for a team with Manny. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Either way, it was great to watch the Yankees win their final game in the House That Ruth Built.

After that? I'd like to see the Cubbies win. Or the Rays.

WerenCole
09-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I am, of course, rooting for a Cubs v. Sox World Series where the Sox take it in Six.

In fact, I will make that my official prediction.

Sox over Angels in four.

Sox over Rays in Six.

Nice little party at the Cask and Flagon (across the street from the pahk) last night. Good times. Nothing to obscene. . . the fans are getting used to this type of stuff. . . which is probably not a good thing. Can't be too casual about the winning. . . you never know what the future holds.

gypsyscarlett
09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I am, of course, rooting for a Cubs v. Sox World Series where the Sox take it in Six.

In fact, I will make that my official prediction.

Sox over Angels in four.

Sox over Rays in Six.

Nice little party at the Cask and Flagon (across the street from the pahk) last night. Good times. Nothing to obscene. . . the fans are getting used to this type of stuff. . . which is probably not a good thing. Can't be too casual about the winning. . . you never know what the future holds.

I would love to have seen a Sox/Cubs WS prior to 2004. But now that we've finally won the WS (twice!) - I'd rather not play against the Cubs. I'd hate having to root against a team which hasn't won in almost a hundred years. I'd feel totally evil.

The Scip
09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
I would love to have seen a Sox/Cubs WS prior to 2004. But now that we've finally won the WS (twice!) - I'd rather not play against the Cubs. I'd hate having to root against a team which hasn't won in almost a hundred years. I'd feel totally evil.

I'd feel evil too, I'm still going to root for it though. I'm not sure about getting past the Angels this time around though.

If we do get by the Angels it will be because of Beckett, Dice-K and Lester.

Foinah
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a feeling...won't jinx the Sox by actually gloating in this Angels stand...but it's a tingly, happy, righteous, wiggly feeling. It certainly is.
Jason Bay, you're the man! Drew, way to get into K-Rod's mind.

I have concerns with Papi. He doesn't look that comfortable at bat. Hmmm. And if I see Lugo anywhere near the playing field, so help me, oh! It was bad enough with the Cora/Pedroia collision.

Beckett on Sunday...

I don't want the Rays anywhere near the Bosox...so I have to root for the White Sox. There are certain teams who can get inside the Red Sox, for whatever reason. Over the years I've watched the Orioles punch the ticket in regular season, the Jays...this year it's the Rays. No love lost, but they are good team. I'd just feel better going against Ozzie's boys right now.
Because as all Sox fans know, a meltdown is just one ball through the legs away.

The Cubbies don't stand a chance. It's sad. Just for the S&G factor I'd like to see a Red Sox/Dodgers world series.

My disjointed, rambling take on the state of Red Sox Nation.

Maryn
10-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I simply can't make myself stay away for those west-coast games that don't even get underway until 9:30 or 10:00. I missed a good ending last night, I hear. Mr. Maryn dozed off early, so he was able to stay awake for the whole game. I conked during the fifth inning, before it got close.

Maryn, tired and old

gypsyscarlett
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I simply can't make myself stay away for those west-coast games that don't even get underway until 9:30 or 10:00. I missed a good ending last night, I hear. Mr. Maryn dozed off early, so he was able to stay awake for the whole game. I conked during the fifth inning, before it got close.

Maryn, tired and old

Har! You think that's bad? I live in Germany now. Due to the time difference, (unless it's a rare day game) the games begin at 1 am. But all season long, I drag myself out of my warm, comfy bed to watch like any proper RS fan. :popcorn:

Ten p.m. sounds nice in comparison. :)

Foinah
10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
The game tonight is my fault...I shouldn't have even intimated that I was gloating...twelfth inning, Angels up by one, I just threw up a little.

Damn.

Hopefully by posting this mea culpa Jason Bay will do something great and the Sox can win and not have to do this again tomorrow.

Damn! I did it again. Strike three. Oh great -- it's Alex Frickin' Cora.

I'm gonna go now.

gypsyscarlett
10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Game 5.

I can't speak right now so I'll let Snoopy do the talking: :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy: :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

katiemac
10-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Wow wow wow, incredible. I feel so great right now, I can't even guess what the team is feeling! What a game.

Foinah
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
AMAZING. I can't feel my legs right now...
Great googly moogly! Two more games...this feels familiar.

poetinahat
10-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Yes. Oh yes.

katiemac
10-19-2008, 08:01 AM
BAM. I love October.

Foinah
10-19-2008, 08:08 AM
What a game. Oh captain, my captain!

katiemac
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Annnnd he has inspired my new look.

gypsyscarlett
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
And he'd better re-sign. The Sox wouldn't be the same without their Captain.

I also really hope game 4 wasn't Wakefield's last. He deserves to go out in much happier style.

WerenCole
10-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Man. . . I just wrote a whole post. . . perhaps 1200 words. . . and it got ate.

Never mind.

WerenCole
10-31-2008, 01:04 AM
I love this.

From ESPN's Jason Gray

" Clay Buchholz continues to look outstanding, allowing just three baserunners over eight innings thus far, with seven strikeouts, while touching 96 mph with his fastball. I expect a nice rebound season out of him next year. Phil Hughes went in the opposite direction in his most recent outing, giving up seven runs and failing to get out of the third inning. He has had problems with fastball command, and, to a lesser extent, control of his curveball, issuing eight walks in 12 2/3 innings thus far."

WerenCole
11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Hello my dear friends.

Alright, so here it is, my first real gig writing about the Red Sox. I will be the Sox guy at StudyofSports.com.

I do not have anything up yet (I just got the job about 10 minutes ago) but it seems that there was a difficult selection criteria for my particular position. Everybody wants the Sox job and now your brilliant young sports writer has nailed it.

So, for all of you who liked my stuff in this thread, check me out at StudyofSports.com in the near future. I promise not to disappoint.

Oh, by the way, I am still covering the Boston Bruins at HockeyJournal.com (among other hockey related material. . .) check that out too.

Thanks,

Weren Cole (otherwise known as Dan Rowinski. . . I guess I have to use my real name these days if you are to recognize my byline).

WerenCole
11-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Check out my new column at StudyofSports.com

"Unwrapping Holliday in the Bay State" by Dan Rowinski

http://www.studyofsports.com/?cat=118

WerenCole
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
New article on StudyofSports.com

http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=246#comment-316

That is me, check it out.

WerenCole
11-29-2008, 05:27 AM
Check it out kids, my new article at studyofsports.com

Just hit the red sox link in the header to see the rest of what I have wrote for the site as well.

http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=353

Good?

WerenCole
11-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Alright, I just realized that the last three posts in this thread are me saying "check it out. . . " with a link. It is a little monotonous. Well, how are things? Is everybody well?

How about this. . . what do you think should be done at catcher this offseason? Is it all about the captain or maybe a little youngin, like Taylor Teagarden or Saltalamacchia?

By the way, at study of sports, I do have an article about this (check links above) but I thought I would get a little conversation going.

What say you?

WerenCole
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
So, my friends. Today is the start of the winter meetings in Vegas. What would you like to see the Sox do over the next four days?

poetinahat
12-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Make a league-minimum offer for Johnny Damon. Just because.

(What?)

WerenCole
12-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Johnny ain't a free agent, yet. We are looking for a fourth outfielder, but they would prefer that he is a right handed hitter. Rocco Baldelli of the Tampa Bay Rays, mitochondrial disorder and all, could be a target.

WerenCole
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Here is the latest and greatest article of mine. . . the editor messed up the formatting a bit, but it is alright.

http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=457

WerenCole
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Check out the new article about the Sox at StudyofSports.com

http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=695

This post is being sent from the press box at TD Banknorth Garden as I wait for the puck to drop in the Bruins v Sabres game.

WerenCole
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Last two days: Baldelli, Kotsay, Smoltz.

Check out my thoughts, once again at: http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=764

WerenCole
01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Johnny ain't a free agent, yet. We are looking for a fourth outfielder, but they would prefer that he is a right handed hitter. Rocco Baldelli of the Tampa Bay Rays, mitochondrial disorder and all, could be a target.

See!

Look how prescient I am. Except, he has now been diagnosed with channelopathy, which apparently is not so bad.

WerenCole
01-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Congrats to Jim Rice. Class of 2009 Hall of Fame.

WerenCole
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Check out my Rice article here: http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=853

Feel free to comment. The more comments that I get, the more I can ultimately ask my editor to pay me. Well thought out comments (good or bad, depending on how you feel about the article) are all welcome.

WerenCole
02-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey folks.

The start of my State of the Red Sox Nation: Spring Report 2009 is up on StudyofSports.com

Because it is late and I do not really feel like finding the permalinks, here is a link to my section. The newest is on top, scroll down for all my latest posts.

http://www.studyofsports.com/?cat=118

aka eraser
03-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I think it's past time to consolidate some threads. That doesn't mean I'm going to do all of 'em right away. No sir. But I will over the next day or three.

If Weren wants to monopolize this thread with Bosox bafflegab -- then what the heck -- that's just dandy. But if other folks want to chime in with baseball chat in general, or some other team in particular, that's fine too.

I'm a Blue Jays fan, having finally swung over to the Dark Side (American League) when my beloved Expos done expatriated themselves.

But I simply love the game. I played when a kid, and in my heart, I'm playing still.

It's Spring Training! I smell leather and feel the sun on my face! Let's play ball!

PS - And is Manny a greedy jerk or what? Kissing off 45 mil at the tail end of his career. What a maroon.

WerenCole
03-31-2009, 06:34 AM
What have you done with my state of the Red Sox Nation thread?

Why you little. . .

Never mind actually. It is alright Frank. When I started this thread, many, many moons ago, I really had no outlet for my Sox writing. . . now, well, in case you haven't noticed, my stuff can be found at StudyofSports.com (http://studyofsports.com) . . . with a bunch of other great content from a plethora of fine writers.

In spirit of the name change, I will go through some teams and their issues for spring.

Blue Jays note from the spring: How will Travis Snider play? The real slugger they have been waiting for? Or a flash in the pan like Rios and Wells (well, they are tauntingly close to being superstars, then regress. Just ask my fantasy baseball teams.) Will Halladay be elsewhere by August? Ricciardi says no, but I am not sure he will have a choice. Things don't look good for the leagues only Canadian club.

Sox Note from the spring: Only on the Red Sox does a guy like Clay Bucholz have a 0.46 ERA and probably end up in the minors.

Yankees: If Posada can't hit and Pettite can't pitch, there might be trouble in the Bronx? Will A-Rod be back anytime soon? How effective will he be? Is it possible to (really) have sex with yourself?

O's: If only they had some pitching. . . Jones and Markaikas look great, Wieters will be a stud. Need a short stop (a real one) and seven to eight decent arms.

Rays: Can the young hitters live up to potential? B.J. Upton starting the season on the D.L. does not bode well for a full season of great production from the young spark plug. Who will close?

White Sox: Trying to get younger. . . addition by subtraction? Is it possible to lose Joe Crede, Orlando Cabrera, Nick Swisher and company and get better (well, Cabrera doesn't count there.) Can Jenks and Danks live up to their potential? Will Gavin Floyd flourish as an ace?

Royals: Coco, the Sox will (kind of) miss you. At least the fans will. More arms then recent years. Some people are waiting for Zack Greinke as the Cy Young winner (such predictions always end up with the guy going 12-10 with a 4.24 ERA. . . just watch). Kyle Davies, Gil Meche, Brian Bannister. If they all live it up, could be a fun team. The young guns in the line up need to start producing.

Cleveland: Where, oh where, have you gone Travis Hafner? Pitching is a little short in the starting rotation and will the real Fausto Carmona please stand up? Kelly Shoppach will be good, Grady Sizemore might make a push for MVP if this team wins more than 85 games (which is possible, though not likely. I have them pegged for just about that many.)

Minnesota: Man, I would hate to write for this team. They are kind of like their hockey counterparts, the Minnesota Wild. . . consistent and boring. They do with year after year with young pitching and timely hitting (See: Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles with less payroll). Will Carlos Gomez take off? Will Fransico Liriano ever be what he was supposed to be, pre surgery?

Detroit: Big payroll, big problems. Like everything else in Detroit, the Tigers are really going to have some money problems. Season ticket sales down 12,000? How are they ever going to pay the $22 million due to Dontrelle Willis (now on the DL with "anxiety disorders)? Team is all messed up? What they need to do: Dump Gary Sheffield, move Miguel Cabrera to DH, Carlos Guillen to first base and trade Curtis Granderson for pitching. The cavern that is their ball park should help them. . . like Oakland Mid-East.

Oakland: Young pitching every where. EVERYWHERE! (My web version of Gary Oldman.) Don't expect Matt Holliday to stick around, especially if they tail off mid season. . . and you know what he will bring? More young pitching!

Seattle: New coach, new general manager, new regime? The new brass has its work cut out for them to make up for the old guard? I say tear it all down. Trade Ichiro, waive Kenji Johjima, DH Junior and for the love of god get Brandon Marrow into the rotation as soon as he is ready. Can King Felix contend for the Cy eventually? Seems like he has been around forever, but he is still only 22 (well, 23 in nine days).

Los Angeles: Their pythagorean win theorum last year said they were an 89 win team. I expect right around that this year, because they won't be all to pile up as many easy wins against the Rangers and the A's. 11 game drop? Sounds about right. Vlad the Impaler is getting old and his free swinging ways will not help while he is in the decline. Can they hit enough? Will the bull pen take a year off (for this first time this millenia)? Tough to follow last years regular season, but they should still take the NL West.

Rangers: Catchers galore. . . Elvis Andrus takes over at short and Michael Young has been placated, I think. You figure they would trade some of their great prospects (best system in the game) for some real good young pitcing. . . this team has a chance to be good if the front office would stop shooting itself in the foot by trading young pitching (Danks, Cueto etc. . . ).

Alright. . . that is it. Maybe I will do the NL sometime.

Haggis
03-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Detroit: Big payroll, big problems. Like everything else in Detroit, the Tigers are really going to have some money problems. Season ticket sales down 12,000? How are they ever going to pay the $22 million due to Dontrelle Willis (now on the DL with "anxiety disorders)? Team is all messed up? What they need to do: Dump Gary Sheffield, move Miguel Cabrera to DH, Carlos Guillen to first base and trade Curtis Granderson for pitching. The cavern that is their ball park should help them. . . like Oakland Mid-East.

GAH! You're killing me here, guy.

Granderson's the future. A legit potential Hall of Famer. And, hell they got rid of Maybin last year. You want them to lose two killer center fielders in two years? With that massive center field in Detroit? Oh yeah. I forgot. You're a Bosox fan. :D

Dontrell, problem. Bonderman, problem, maybe. Zamia, problem, maybe. Pitching remains a serious problem. Verlander is solid though, and Galarraga is a legit major leaguer. Porcello is the future and stands a chance of making the team this year.

Yeah, it's time for Sheffield to go. Cabrera plays a decent first base, but Guillen is getting old. Move him and Sheffield if possible. Even for a solid reliever. Left handed, preferably.

WerenCole
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
I like it when I am right:

Tigers Waive Sheffield (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4029706)

Haggs. . . I say trade Granderson because centerfielders are not always incredibly hard to replace. . . production wise at least. He could bring the most pitching of any trade-able guy on the roster. . .

Anyway, according to the stats, Granderson is a poor man's Torii Hunter anyway.

Haggis
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I like it when I am right:

Tigers Waive Sheffield (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4029706)

Haggs. . . I say trade Granderson because centerfielders are not always incredibly hard to replace. . . production wise at least. He could bring the most pitching of any trade-able guy on the roster. . .

Anyway, according to the stats, Granderson is a poor man's Torii Hunter anyway.

Saw that about Sheffield today. It brought no tears to my eyes. It's time for them to send Guillen packing too.

Besides pitching, the Tigers also lack speed. Except for Granderson. I dunno, man. Anyone is expendable, but losing Granderson would hurt. Besides, he is still a kid. He'll get nothing but better. Unless he doesn't. In which case you'll be able to justifiably tell me "I told you so." :D

poetinahat
04-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Beckett!

Pedroia!

WerenCole
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Some fun streams from my cell phone (through qik.com, live streaming from phone, automatic archiving with embed codes, cool technology) can be found at my blog at sportschutney.blogspot.com.

Check out Stilts Guy. Funny shit.

Haggis
04-14-2009, 06:02 AM
More of a Detroit Tigers thing, I suppose, than a general baseball thing, but we lost Mark (The Bird) Fidrych today (http://www.freep.com/article/20090413/SPORTS02/90413063). At 54, way too young to die. Mark was special.

I'm sad.

eta: I forgot, Weren. He was one of your boys too. Mass born and bred.

cray
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
*bump*

wanted to keep this thread alive in case the phillies do well again and i need to jump on the bandwagon. :D

they start their playoffs today against the rockies.
giddy-up.

Haggis
10-07-2009, 05:48 PM
*bump*

wanted to keep this thread alive in case the phillies do well again and i need to jump on the bandwagon. :D

they start their playoffs today against the rockies.
giddy-up.

Yeah. Right. You just posted this because the Tigers lost the one game playoff to Minnesnowta last night. You're just trying to make me feel bad. Well, it's not gonna work, mister. Not gonna work at all.

:cry:

cray
10-07-2009, 05:52 PM
i didn't see it but i read that it was a pretty good game to watch.
unless you're you, that is.

regdog
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah. Right. You just posted this because the Tigers lost the one game playoff to Minnesnowta last night. You're just trying to make me feel bad. Well, it's not gonna work, mister. Not gonna work at all.

:cry:

Cheer up chiheuyheuy, there's always the Lions

Haggis
10-07-2009, 06:02 PM
i didn't see it but i read that it was a pretty good game to watch.
unless you're you, that is.

Exactly.

Cheer up chiheuyheuy, there's always the Lions

No, see, that's....

Wait. You did that on purpose. You know all about the Lions, don't you?

regdog
10-07-2009, 11:44 PM
No, see, that's....

Wait. You did that on purpose. You know all about the Lions, don't you?

Who me?:D
**Note to self, innocent Who me face still needs work**

cray
10-07-2009, 11:48 PM
well, the lions did beat jaycinth's redskins...
at least you have that, haggis.

bottom of the 5th right now for the phillies/rockies,....no score.
scratch that, phils just scored.

regdog
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Stupid Sox

cray
10-12-2009, 05:40 PM
eliminated in boston too, right?
oh, that sucks.

phillies got lucky and won last night. mostly due to a blown call. :snoopy: we're up 2games to 1 in the series with chance to end it tonight in CO.

Haggis
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I hear your starting pitcher is going to be Michael Vick.

Mr. Pocket Keeper
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
As a Mets fan, I just have one question...How many days till Pitchers and Catchers?

cray
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I hear your starting pitcher is going to be Michael Vick.
:D
thankfully, they took him out of the rotation.
that sat. night postponed game was a blessing.

As a Mets fan, I just have one question...How many days till Pitchers and Catchers?

many many days.

roonil_wazlib
10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Oh ppppt Phillies. We'll get you one of these days! *shakes fist*

We just need to get rid of most of our bullpen first. Hm.

cray
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
:snoopy:

did you see that?
what a cool 9th inning (if you're a phillies fan).

Haggis
10-13-2009, 05:24 PM

did you see that?

Pfft. It's only the National League.

roonil_wazlib
10-15-2009, 05:31 AM

did you see that?

Mediocre inning at best. :tongue

I'm still angry that Tracy decided to put Street in so soon after he came off the DL list. And if De La Rosa didn't have that groin injury and if if if . . . .

-Suzette (a bitter Colorado Rockies fan)

PS - I did like Torrealba's "NOW WHAT" to the umpire. Oh snap, Yorvit. Oh. Snap.

cray
10-20-2009, 03:58 PM
3 - 1 in the series, phillies v. dodgers.

:Thumbs:

cray
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Haggis
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Pfft. It's only the National League.

cray
10-22-2009, 05:57 PM
you want in, don't you?

it's cool, haggis. no one will mind if you cheer for the phillies. ;)

quickWit
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
you want in, don't you?

it's cool, haggis. ;)

Ew.

*hails cab*

roonil_wazlib
10-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I am glad the Phillies won, though. I love my Rockies, but the Phillies beat the Dodgers down. Which is always a good thing :D

WerenCole
12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
This thread is still kicking a little bit huh? Fun stuff.

SirOtter
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
'Bout time the Hawk headed for Cooperstown. Wish Blyleven and Larkin were going in with him, but there's always next year.

CEtchison
01-08-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm still surprised that Alomar wasn't voted in his first year. He should have been in.

Next year it will be interesting to see the voting for those eligible for the first time:

Rafael Palmeiro, although credited with one of the smoothest and most relaxed swings in baseball, ruined his chances by lying about the 'roids. Damn shame.

Juan Gonzalez will most likely be voted in at some point in time having won two AL MVPs, but it won't come next year. He was a primadonna and wasted his talent.

I think the only player who might have a shot at being inducted on the first try next year is Jeff Bagwell.

SirOtter
01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm still surprised that Alomar wasn't voted in his first year. He should have been in.

I think there are still folks who hold the spitting incident against him. He'll go in next year, but a first year induction is more than he ought to have, er, expectorated. ;)

Agreed on your other assessments. Bagwell's a long shot, but there is a chance for him. I don't think Palmiero needs to ever book a flight to Cooperstown, unless he wants to tour the museum. That's a damn shame, but there it is. I suspect he, McGwire and Sosa will always stand outside looking in, alongside Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose. I'm curious to see how Bonds makes out when his time comes.

Haggis
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
The Detroit Tigers are the Champions of the World. They won their opening game against KC, and nobody has a better record than they do.

They're perfect! :snoopy:

cray
04-06-2010, 06:28 AM
you didn't happen to hear about the certain former tiger now on the phillies hitting a grand slam today, did you?

thank you!

Haggis
04-06-2010, 06:32 AM
you didn't happen to hear about the certain former tiger now on the phillies hitting a grand slam today, did you?

thank you!

Eh, he was yours to begin with. We just returned him.

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm glad the Braves won their first game. They are looking awesome already this season. I knew that they might beat the Cubs, but they smacked them 16-5.

Did anyone see Jason Heyward's first MLB homer? Man, I knew it as soon as it was hit that it was gone. :)

Haggis
04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
We don't care about the Braves. We only care about the Tigers. :)

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Maybe you do. I couldn't care less about the tigers.

Except for Justin Verlander 'cause he's on my fantasy team. :D

cray
04-06-2010, 07:07 AM
haggis is right, we don't care about the braves.
or the tigers.

we're talking about the phillies here. :D

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I hate the Phillies. Their fans are so obnoxious.

And why the discrimination against Atlanta?

cray
04-06-2010, 07:13 AM
because we're homers, that's all. ;)

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I actually think the Phillies are going to win the division again, although the Braves will be fighting them all the way. With the addition of Halladay despite losing Lee to Seattle, they have an all-aroud team.

Curse my tongue.

cray
04-06-2010, 07:19 AM
i hope you're right about the phillies.
we were all kind of hoping that they'd somehow find a way to keep lee in addition to halladay....

that would have been a hell of a thing (lee's current injury aside).

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Yeah Lee does seem to get injured often. :-/

Derail: Did anybody see the ending of the Duke-Butler game? Dang it I almost hoped Butler would hve made that last, at-the-buzzer shot. It would have made tourney history. I don't like Butler, I just hate Duke.

Haggis
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Darn Duke to Heck.

Now, where were we? Oh, yeah. We were talking about the Tigers. :D

regdog
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
No, no we were talking about the Bo Sox

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
No, I'm pretty sure we were talking about the Braves.

Haggis
04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Bobby Cox is old.

cray
04-06-2010, 06:55 PM
it's boTOX, you dorks.

..helps you smile without smiling!

Midnight Star
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Cox may be old, but Leyland is only three years younger. So there.

SirOtter
04-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Neither is anywhere close to the record for managerial longevity. Connie Mack managed the Philadelphia Athletics from 1901 to 1950, retiring when he was 87. Of course, he didn't win a pennant for the last 29 years of his term, or a World Series for the last thirty.

Casey Stengel was a year younger than Cox is now when he won his last Series in 1958. He was a year older when he won his last pennant, and managed another five years.

So, both Cox and Leyland might have just a little more tread left on the tires. :)

Midnight Star
04-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Bobby doesn't. He's retiring after this season. But we're all hoping he'll pull a Brett Favre. :D

blacbird
04-07-2010, 03:34 AM

Actually, the second-oldest manager in MLB is Charlie Manuel. Manuel, Leyland, Tony LaRussa and Cito Gaston were all born in 1944, but Manuel in January, thereby being the senior among them.

As well as the one most likely to win a World Series this year.

caw

Midnight Star
04-07-2010, 04:24 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that blacbird is a Phillies fan...

Just a guess.

Well I can't stand the Phillies. They're division rivals.

blacbird
04-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Halladay.

Nuf sed.

But that Heyward kid looks purty good.

caw

Silver King
04-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Just a heads up: I'm going to edit this thread's title to remove (with apologies to Weren).

The discussion has evolved since its inception and reads better now as simply, The Baseball Thread.

Cella
04-07-2010, 05:40 AM
what was it before?

Shadow_Ferret
04-07-2010, 05:41 AM
The discussion has evolved since its inception and reads better now as simply, The Baseball Thead.

Needs an R.

Silver King
04-07-2010, 05:50 AM
what was it before?
The Baseball Thread (with apologies to Weren).

Needs an R.
Thanks.

Cella
04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
oh, I get it!

I thought you were apologizing to weren. I don't know weren.

Haggis
04-07-2010, 06:07 AM
oh, I get it!

I thought you were apologizing to weren. I don't know weren.

Weren's in the walk-in freezer at the Cabaret. Stop in and say "hey" some time, but don't let him out. :)

Silver King
04-07-2010, 06:07 AM
...I thought you were apologizing to weren...
Read a certain way, that's the way it sounds like in my earlier post.

I've been having the hardest time lately communicating effectively. It's like all at once, even the simplest messages I try to convey are misunderstood.

My age and relentless drinking must be catching up with me... ;)

Haggis
04-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Casey Stengel was a year younger than Cox is now when he won his last Series in 1958. He was a year older when he won his last pennant, and managed another five years.

I loved Casey. He made Yogi seem like a Ph.D., by comparison.

Haggis
04-07-2010, 06:10 AM

More relentless drinking will fix that. :)

Cella
04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Weren's in the walk-in freezer at the Cabaret. Stop in and say "hey" some time, but don't let him out. :)

Is he frozen? or would he have seen stuff that went on in there?
... ...

Hmmm..... It's okay. I know what you meant... ;)

Midnight Star
04-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Halladay.

Nuf sed.

But that Heyward kid looks purty good.

caw

I agree, Halladay is an animal. I was wondering how he would do, making the switch from AL to NL, but he looks like he's just fine. One of my fantasy baseball opponents has him and he's already scored most of my opponent's team's points.

cray
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM

I've been having the hardest time lately communicating effectively. It's like all at once, even the simplest messages I try to convey are misunderstood.

i'm sure you will be comforted by the fact that i find your posts to be crystal clear, dino.

SirOtter
04-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I loved Casey. He made Yogi seem like a Ph.D., by comparison.

True. As off the wall as Yogiisms are, they sort of make sense, if you squint your eyes and tilt your head a little to get the proper perspective. Casey's non-sequiturs frequently made no sense whatsoever no matter how hard you tried to find the nugget of reality in them. Still, he must have been doing something right for a lot of years, and he was always entertaining.

Haggis
04-07-2010, 11:56 PM
We all root for our own team and we all hate the other team, especially when it's the Yankees. But, can we all agree (and all politics aside) that none of us want this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJBlwUfIoDk) as one of our starting pitchers?

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Definitely not.

1. He can't make up his mind as to who he roots for (note the WSH jacket and the CHW hat)

2. He can't throw a strike. If the catcher hadn't moved so much that thing woul have been in the stands and last year's first pitch was in the dirt.

Haggis
04-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Guy throws like a politician.

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Uh...

Cella
04-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Guy throws like a politician.
would that be a curveball?

MrWrite
04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Wait. There's a baseball thread? Why the aren't I notified about these things?

MrWrite
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
We all root for our own team and we all hate the other team, especially when it's the Yankees. But, can we all agree (and all politics aside) that none of us want this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJBlwUfIoDk) as one of our starting pitchers?

Hell I could pitch better than that and I've never even played baseball in my life! :ROFL:

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
MrWrite, maybe you can, but I definitely can't. I've never played baseball in my life and I have terrible aim (when it comes to throwing).

Cella
04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I throw pretty good....

for a girl and stuff.

I throw a football very gracefully.

regdog
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Wait. There's a baseball thread? Why the aren't I notified about these things?

Because you're a Spankees fan and we all hate the Spankees

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I second that, regdog.

Wow you guys all have me beat. I can't throw a football, either.

Well, I can, but i can't make it spiral and it never goes where I want it to. :D

MrWrite
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Awww you just got a bad case of sour grapes because....

the Yankees beat the Red Sux again! :D

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I hate the Sox and Yanks. So, really, it's possible for me to get along with fans of either side. :)

Williebee
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Spent last week at my Mom's place, doing around the house stuff. -- Like replacing her dead big screen TV with a new freakin' huge HD TV.

Watching regular TV shows looks creepy, by the way. But baseball? I am convinced these things were made for that specific purpose. It was awesome.

Midnight Star
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
We have a big screen tv in my house and watching Braves games on it is awesome. It's even better with football games.

MrWrite
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm jealous!

Cella
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I second that, regdog.

Wow you guys all have me beat. I can't throw a football, either.

Well, I can, but i can't make it spiral and it never goes where I want it to. :D
Really, my throws are quite pathetic ;) it spirals for about 4 feet before falling to the ground.

Haggis
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Really, my throws are quite pathetic ;) it spirals for about 4 feet before falling to the ground.

Cella? End over end is not considered a spiral.

MrWrite, just consider your Stankees lucky because Detroit was kind enough to give them Curtis Granderson.