Sad endings

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Have you noticed a lot of these "sudden fiction" stories have sad endings? LOL.

Discuss.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that with a few of them. I have a stories which have sad endings too, and they can be difficult to place sometimes. I would be interested to know if anyone has been able to find homes for stories with sad ending.

Merry

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed this, and in my own short fiction too. It could just be that I have a particularly gloomy bent of mind; or, that really short fiction for some reason lends itself better to unhappy rather than happy endings.
(It may use less muscles to smile, but perhaps it takes up more words to depict it?) :Shrug:

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
I've read that the sudden fiction format lends itself a great deal to the horror genre, i'm not sure how much of that is true but in looking at the different magazines that take sudden fiction they very rarely expect a HEA. Perhaps its a lot easier to get accross such powerful emotions as saddness, horror etc. in less words then it is in longer fiction?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I think Nicole's nailed it for me. A sad ending is an easy way of evoking an emotional response from the reader. With so few words available, sometimes the quickest way to connect to the reader might be a sad or an emotion charged ending.

I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing, as long as you avoid cliche.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But wouldn't laughter/comedy be just as straightforward? Or is it because it's easier to make someone cry than make them laugh, that comedy is hard?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I think comedy is difficult to write. Especially in a very short-short, where you're pretty much limited to slapstick. Either that or I'm not doing it properly.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
It's much harder for me to do happy endings with so few words. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's because to me, the short story and especially flash fiction seem more abrupt than a longer work so it's just easier to kill off your character in the end.

That way they're not bugging you to let them tell more of their story! :)

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
But wouldn't laughter/comedy be just as straightforward? Or is it because it's easier to make someone cry than make them laugh, that comedy is hard?

I find it very difficult to write laughter/comedy into stories of any length especially in to so few words, although I would love to be able to make someone laugh out loud with a piece of sudden fiction.

I think partly the reason why its more difficult to write comedy and make people laugh in writing is because its so subjective what one person finds funny might not be what another finds funny. Whereas with horror and strong emotions like fear as a writer it is more likely you will touch a lot more people with those emotions especially when working with so few words.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think comedy is difficult to write. Especially in a very short-short, where you're pretty much limited to slapstick. Either that or I'm not doing it properly.

Yeah, short humor leans towards "gotcha" punch-line endings. I don't think they're the only possible choice, but definitely the easiest, when the goal is to be funny.

It does seem that negative situations are easier to 'snapshot'; I don't have any thoughts on why that haven't been said already, though.

Ok, new challenge, write a happy flash piece? ;)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh, better watch what I say! :tongue

Actually I do have another thought. Story has to have conflict. Conflict and happy ending are two different elements, that have to be connected by some kind of transition/resolution.

Sad/scary ending is more like a natural extension of conflict, so requires less intermediate material.

Maybe the prevalence/ease of negative endings is just because they don't require as many elements to fit in the small space available?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That's a great thought, Annie. Stories are about conflicts, and in a short piece, it's easier to take that conflict to a sad/scary ending. If it's supposed to be a happy piece, then it's more challenging to turn a conflict into a happy ending.

But I agree... it can be a REALLY good challenge. ;)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Perhaps it is true what people say about writers. That we are in our heads too much and we bemoan our happenstance in life through our work. It is true that writing is cathartic and to that end we have a danger when all we view in life is negative.

In today's society, the mellow dramatic, the horror and angst is far too often dramatized and paid attention to. We, sometimes, have a bad habit of focusing on what is wrong in life and not what is good. I know I do and I am more aware of it now than ever. So I hope one day to be able to write something beautiful, surprising and compelling in a positive way that makes a difference for people.

Ray your book The Pacific Between proved to me that it can be done. We can have a plot, humour and a good ending that leaves us with hope that things aren't all that bad in the world.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks Casi... I tend to like to write things that leave people with hope and love. I don't know. I am sappy that way.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Thanks Casi... I tend to like to write things that leave people with hope and love. I don't know. I am sappy that way.
I would love to have some help with my daughter's story. Maybe one day when and if you have time you can help me with it.

There are so many failures with drug addiction, people need hope. I guess that makes me sappy too. :) And, your welcome.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
"and then the sun exploded. The End." Works every time.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think we're proving this idea in the response (or lack of) to the new challenge.

I'm still hashing out ideas of what I might do for this one. It's definitely harder than the drabble challenge!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I've just been very busy, but I do plan to do a story for this challenge as well. . .

Eric

Another

Forever Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Sad Is Not The issue

Issue is not sad or happy, issue is satisfying, complete, logical given characters, situation, themes ...

Another (or maybe not)