Status
Not open for further replies.

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
To give you some background –
Last October-November I tried to find an agent for my NF book. I sent four queries and got one rejection, the rest just ignored me. I know, I could have tried again and 4 rejections is nothing but I decided to aim at publishers instead. My book proposal and a couple of sample chapters got the attention of one of the publishers and they offered me a contract (no advance though, only royalties). So I finished my book and posted the MS in the beginning of February this year – and nothing has happened! They received it alright but no feedback so far. I’ve sent several polite e-mails and got ‘we-are-still-looking-at-it’ responses, the latest one was ‘you’ll hear from us in the next few days’. The problem is, it was a week ago. Do you think they don’t like the MS, or it’s turned out to be different from what they expected. I don’t know what to think, and waiting for ANY feedback and getting nothing is very frustrating. It’s uncertainty that’s killing me.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to show a little patience.

Look, your project is not the only project on the editors' desk. Its probably not even the most pressing project on their desk. I don't know when in February you submitted your manuscript, but at most, you're only looking at eight weeks since they received it. At a minimum, you're only looking at four weeks. Four to eight weeks is nothing.

As for a "a few days" being a week ago, well, yes. A week is just five business days.

Unless you were given a more targeted time frame, such as you sent the manuscript on February 15th and they told you they would have a response to you by March 10th, you need to go work on something else and let them do their thing.

Last edited:

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Birol
I do need patience, (theoretically I agree with your arguments, but in practice it's very different. Yeah, you are absolutely right, it's better to start a new project and try to forget about my 'baby'.)

BTW, I sent it on 6 Feb.

Reaction score
I've gone months between submission and hearing anything, before. Course, that was fiction, but I'm guessing in my case that's nothing unusual. In fact, hearing back quickly is the unusual thing!

Quickest I've heard is within the week, longest was about three or four months. And two never replied, despite my SAE.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Helga, but Birol is right...patience in this biz,,...
Put yourself on "Island time" ;)
Good luck-

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Don't keep bugging them or they might see you as difficult and not take you on. I agree about going to work on something else. Get your mind off it any way you can and they'll get back to you when they're ready. You are at their mercy, unfortunately.

Good luck at finding the patience! It's not easy.

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks all. I feel better now, I'll try to forget about their promise to respond 'in the next few days' (in publishing it may mean weeks or months, I know). It's funny, really, at the state I'm in, I'd prefer a 'no' answer to 'no-answer'. Does it make sense?

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
To give you some background –
My book proposal and a couple of sample chapters got the attention of one of the publishers and they offered me a contract (no advance though, only royalties). So I finished my book and posted the MS in the beginning of February this year – and nothing has happened! They received it alright but no feedback so far. I’ve sent several polite e-mails and got ‘we-are-still-looking-at-it’ responses, the latest one was ‘you’ll hear from us in the next few days’. The problem is, it was a week ago. Do you think they don’t like the MS, or it’s turned out to be different from what they expected. I don’t know what to think, and waiting for ANY feedback and getting nothing is very frustrating. It’s uncertainty that’s killing me.

Just something I don't quite understand. If the publisher gave you a book-contract, and you signed it and sent back a copy, then he/she accepted your novel for publication. There shouldn't be an issue of "we're still loooking at it" -- at least not in those terms. Their editorial staff may be "looking at it" in terms of providing edits that will be mailed to you (the author) for fixing. If that's the case, then you just have to wait and it's nothing threatening. Editors can take weeks to get back to you. Then suddenly an email with attachment will appear in your mailbox with a note to "fix" and return the edited manuscript to them asap.

Now, "hearing from them in the next few days" is a bit strange for a reply. They should have said you'd be getting your edited m-script from them in a few days because there's nothing much to "hear from them" about. You have a book contract. The m-script needs to be edited and then the cover needs to be chosen. If you're with an e-publisher, these things can take upward of 3 months - depends on a particular e-publisher.

It all depends on what you asked them about in your e-mail. Without specifics, I'm just guessing. It also depends of whether you're dealing with a regular publisher or e-publisher. But if you have a book contract, then it means your novel's accepted and what remains is just tedious details that need to be ironed out before it comes out. Hope this helps and just go on to the next project.

For example, if it is an e-book publisher, last year there was BooksUnbound where the publisher ran into health problems (or family member's health problems) and the authors whose work has been accepted had to wait upward of six months for edits - :) cheer up and congratulations on getting your book accepted.

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Just something I don't quite understand. If the publisher gave you a book-contract, and you signed it and sent back a copy, then he/she accepted your novel for publication. There shouldn't be an issue of "we're still loooking at it" -- at least not in those terms. Their editorial staff may be "looking at it" in terms of providing edits that will be mailed to you (the author) for fixing. If that's the case, then you just have to wait and it's nothing threatening. Editors can take weeks to get back to you. Then suddenly an email with attachment will appear in your mailbox with a note to "fix" and return the edited manuscript to them asap.

But that's exactly what worries me! I signed the contract in Nov, sent them my MS in Feb., and they said it was with a commissioning editor! How could I interpret this? Do they want it or don't they?

Now, "hearing from them in the next few days" is a bit strange for a reply.

I agree - but that's what they said!

It also depends of whether you're dealing with a regular publisher or e-publisher.

It's an independent publisher (NF books), not e-publisher. (My book is NF, btw)

But if you have a book contract, then it means your novel's accepted and what remains is just tedious details that need to be ironed out before it comes out.

I do hope so, but then why is it with a commissioning editor? Am I missing something?

For example, if it is an e-book publisher, last year there was BooksUnbound where the publisher ran into health problems (or family member's health problems) and the authors whose work has been accepted had to wait upward of six months for edits - :) cheer up and congratulations on getting your book accepted.

I do hope something like this is the case. Thanks a lot

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
What does your contract say?
That's all I would worry about now.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
I think you're panicking over nothing. You signed a contract! The book is being advertised! You are an author!

Take a deep breath. They're just working on the edits, is all.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how did you discover it? Do you randomly Google your name, or what?

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
No, my daughter's found it - I promised to buy Harry Potter today from Amazon and two more books she wants to read, and she came up with this!

This is the point - I didn't even think about it - obsessively checking e-mails ;o)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I would say, as an author under contract, you are at the very least entitled to know the name of your editor!
And then you are entitled to phone that editor and introduce yourself!!!
Forget about waiting for emails.
I mean, they just might publish this book unedited!!!
Once you phone the editor, if you don't get the editor in, I would keep calling without leaving a message. Otherwise, then you'll be waiting for the editor to call you back.
Just keep phoning until you can talk to a real person.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
They are a UK publisher, no warnings on P&E and listed in the Writers Handbook. Founded '87.

I think you need to look at your contract again, because it sounds as if you have simply misinterpreted the publishing procedure. You got accepted and things moved quickly. The publisher also hasn't maintained contact with you to explain things.

Before you do anything get the contract out and have a good old read - it may give you more information in there than you realised. You have the whole weekend to do it.

Congratulations on getting published!!!

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to edit but it won't let me.

Just to say, they also won the Independent Publishers Award this year from the IPG and are along side Faber, Frances Lincoln and the like, so they seem to have a pretty good standing in the publishing world.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I'd just leave it another week or so. As Edita said, they are probably doing edits and should be getting back to you with the 'fix it' comment.

If you haven't heard by then, just give them a call and politely explain that you would like to speak to the editor to see how the work is coming along (because it's being advertised for release)

It's a shame they haven't kept you updated really though, because you should be jumping up and down with a continuous supply of Champers.

... and why the heck is this in the 'Rejection and Dejection' forum?????

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Helga, is your book time sensative? If not, this could explain the publisher's lack of urgency.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Helga, Jessica Kingsley publishes a number of work on autism, Asperger's and mental health. They have quite a few solid, well known authors. If it's with a commissioning editor you may not hear back for a while, but eventually you're going to make it to the top of the line and the editor will get going on your project.

My only concern would be that the release date is six months out . . . how much work do they plan to do in terms of rewrites? So they should be on it soon.

Did they pay you an advance? Usually you get a payment on signing, and another on manuscript acceptance, then another on publication.

One more thing . . . if it's coming in six months . . . it's time for you to get a blog, a web site, and start telling people about your new book.

Last edited:

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Helga, Jessica Kingsley publishes a number of work on autism, Asperger's and mental health. They have quite a few solid, well known authors. If it's with a commissioning editor you may not hear back for a while, but eventually you're going to make it to the top of the line and the editor will get going on your project.

I agree, John. They are the best publishers of Autism/Asperger books!
You are right, my book must be in a queue

Did they pay you an advance? Usually you get a payment on signing, and another on manuscript acceptance, then another on publication.

No, they didn't [sigh]

One more thing . . . if it's coming in six months . . . it's time for you to get a blog, a web site, and start telling people about your new book.

Thanks for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.