PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the craving

TsukiRyoko
03-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Every now and then, I get these odd, strong cravings (and no, I'm not pregnant. Just odd, I guess). Last month it was mandarin oranges (lots of them), before that it was asparagus, before that it was instant coffee, etc etc.

This week, it seems to be salad. Not just any salad, oh no- Spring Mix salad with homemade balsamic dressing and LOTS of fresh garlic. TONS of garlic. I have probably eaten 5 salads today, nothing else but salad, and I can't eat another bite.

Yet, I want more salad. I'm probably going to go get another plate of it, then end up feeling like crap because I've eaten an elephant's weight in leafy greens.

Anyone else get these cravings? Or do I belong on a different planet?

Akuma
03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Don't worry. Everyone gets some kind of craving from time to time.

Just last week I woke up in the middle of the night. I literally needed that new barbecue sandwich from Subway--it was so good. But I needed a foot long. No, two.

Then I find out that Subway has stopped selling them. I don't know if it's just our Subway or if they pulled the entire sandwich from the chain of restaurants but it really sucked balls. They only sold it for, like, two weeks.

And I've been unable to satisfy this craving since then. My twisted agony and hatred have turned my craving from barbecue to lust to pizza and now to. . .

. . .human flesh.

lfraser
03-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I became badly obsessed with Jelly Bellies for a while. I' buy them in bulk, and then eat gobfuls of them while I was writing. I had to stop buying them when I noticed that they were making me dizzy. My blood sugar must have been stratospheric.

TsukiRyoko
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
. . .human flesh.
Throw a little thyme on it, and man is it good.

TsukiRyoko
03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I became badly obsessed with Jelly Bellies for a while. I' buy them in bulk, and then eat gobfuls of them while I was writing. I had to stop buying them when I noticed that they were making me dizzy. My blood sugar must have been stratospheric.
Or you could have been eating the crack flavored Jelly Bellies. Those are killer.

Bmwhtly
03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Tsuki, just be grateful your craving something moderately healthy. It could be worse, you could be craving Ice cream, or Bacon Sangwiches. This way, garlic breath aside, you'll stay the same shape. ish.

threedogpeople
03-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I tend to crave a certain ethnicity of food; i.e. when we went south in January/February I couldn't get enough Mexican food. Right now I'm wanting & preparing lots of comfort food (chicken & dumplings, chili, turkey pot pie, mashed potatoes, etc.) Now I'm feeling the start of an Asian faze - Pho, pot stickers, shrimp fried rice, garlic/chili paste, etc.

Oh, shoot, now I'm getting hungry.....

thethinker42
03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I do the same thing. I'm on a "3 oranges a day" kick right now. Give me about a month and I won't want ANYTHING to do with oranges. I also do the monster salads with balsamic dressing (or, hell, straight balsamic vinegar). Then my acupuncturist told me that he usually throws kidney beans on salads, and I tried it, so now I'm wickedly addicted to salads with kidney beans and balsamic vinegar (and no...eating a lot of beans does not make you fart if your system is already accustomed to eating a lot of vegetables and stuff).

thethinker42
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I tend to crave a certain ethnicity of food; i.e. when we went south in January/February I couldn't get enough Mexican food. Right now I'm wanting & preparing lots of comfort food (chicken & dumplings, chili, turkey pot pie, mashed potatoes, etc.) Now I'm feeling the start of an Asian faze - Pho, pot stickers, shrimp fried rice, garlic/chili paste, etc.

Oh, shoot, now I'm getting hungry.....

I do that to....I crave Pho like a mofo (hahaha) sometimes. The guys at the Vietnamese restaurant all know my name, and they're used to seeing me 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks, then nothing for a while, then 2-3 times a week. LOL

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Okay... what's Pho? If it's that good, I may have to try it.

ETA: Never mind.

threedogpeople
03-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup. It can be vegetarian or include any meat or fish you might prefer. It is typically served with a side plate of lime, bean sprouts and cilantro.

At the beginning of the meal, I usually squeeze the lime into the soup, add some of the cilantro. Then after there is more room in the bowl, I add the bean sprouts and the rest of the cilantro. The heat from the soup cooks the bean sprouts. I also love adding the garlic/chili paste. Garlic/chili past is a red sauce that is about 7 out of 10 on the heat scale.

Judy

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup. It can be vegetarian or include any meat or fish you might prefer. It is typically served with a side plate of lime, bean sprouts and cilantro.

At the beginning of the meal, I usually squeeze the lime into the soup, add some of the cilantro. Then after there is more room in the bowl, I add the bean sprouts and the rest of the cilantro. The heat from the soup cooks the bean sprouts. I also love adding the garlic/chili paste. Garlic/chili past is a red sauce that is about 7 out of 10 on the heat scale.

Judy

I love Pho so much it should be illegal. And spring rolls (minus the shrimp...I hate seafood). My husband swore up and down he wouldn't try it, but when we were in Guam, he tried it and loved it. YAY!!!!!!! Another Pho Addict!!

Oh, and the one I always go to has T-shirts that say: "(Name of Restaurant): It's Pho King Good"

(Pho is pronounced "fuh?", for those of you culturally deprived folks)

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I love Pho so much it should be illegal. And spring rolls (minus the shrimp...I hate seafood). My husband swore up and down he wouldn't try it, but when we were in Guam, he tried it and loved it. YAY!!!!!!! Another Pho Addict!!

Oh, and the one I always go to has T-shirts that say: "(Name of Restaurant): It's Pho King Good"

(Pho is pronounced "fuh?", for those of you culturally deprived folks)

Blasphemy! As a wife of a Navy husband you should LOVE seafood.

I mean think about it. Animals from the sea are the only edible beasts naturally seasoned with salt!

writerterri
03-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Just before my you-know-what, and don't make me say it cause I will, I crave gasoline. Serious bizz.

Excuse me, I have to go to my car for a sec...

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Just before my you-know-what, and don't make me say it cause I will, I crave gasoline. Serious bizz.

If you're so adamant about saying it if we we insist you to say it then is there really a problem with saying it before someone gets a chance to force you to say it?

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Blasphemy! As a wife of a Navy husband you should LOVE seafood.

I mean think about it. Animals from the sea are the only edible beasts naturally seasoned with salt!

HA! If it's blasphemy, I'm screwed: As a 3rd generation Navy wife, growing up in Seattle (king crab and salmon, anyone), and now living in Norfolk...you would think I'd be used to seafood. LOL Sorry, can't stomach it.

The only thing I'll eat that comes out of the water is a cow that went swimming.

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 01:31 AM

I do too, but it's not so much a craving as much as "I WANT TO KILL MYSELF". But that's more after it starts than right before...

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:33 AM
HA! If it's blasphemy, I'm screwed: As a 3rd generation Navy wife, growing up in Seattle (king crab and salmon, anyone), and now living in Norfolk...you would think I'd be used to seafood. LOL Sorry, can't stomach it.

The only thing I'll eat that comes out of the water is a cow that went swimming.

A cow that goes swimming? Sounds like. . .*snicker*. . .a mad cow. . .

. . .disease. . .

. . .uh. . .yeah. . .I'll sit myself in the corner, that was bad of me.

writerterri
03-30-2007, 01:34 AM
If you're so adamant about saying it if we we insist you to say it then is there really a problem with saying it before someone gets a chance to force you to say it?

Because some people don't like to hear the word "period", it makes think of blood then some smart ask is bound to tell me that it was TMI (too much info).

K! :D

writerterri
03-30-2007, 01:37 AM
I do too, but it's not so much a craving as much as "I WANT TO KILL MYSELF". But that's more after it starts than right before...

I have wicked PMS like that. I have to take a medication so I don't go postal on the dorks in my house or in my apartment building.

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Because some people don't like to hear the word "period", it makes think of blood then some smart ask is bound to tell me that it was TMI (too much info).

K! :D

Huh. I thought the word was "marathon".:e2paperba

writerterri
03-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Huh. I thought the word was "marathon".:e2paperba

A five day marathon. Only women bleed. :gone:

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Tsuki, just be grateful your craving something moderately healthy. It could be worse, you could be craving Ice cream, or Bacon Sangwiches. This way, garlic breath aside, you'll stay the same shape. ish.
I've been craving a bunch of healthier stuff lately. It's starting to transform from salads to avocadoes and mangoes.

Hm.... I want a mango right....

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Don't even start on Asian food. I have killed many men for a taste of General Tso's. Once, I even ate a plate of it that had been sitting out for almost a week (well, okay, I was a little high at the time). I LOVE it. LOVE. I'll mangle a puppy for it.

....:cry: Okay, maybe not a puppy, but a nice healthy baby.

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I do the same thing. I'm on a "3 oranges a day" kick right now. Give me about a month and I won't want ANYTHING to do with oranges. I also do the monster salads with balsamic dressing (or, hell, straight balsamic vinegar). Then my acupuncturist told me that he usually throws kidney beans on salads, and I tried it, so now I'm wickedly addicted to salads with kidney beans and balsamic vinegar (and no...eating a lot of beans does not make you fart if your system is already accustomed to eating a lot of vegetables and stuff).
Put a clove or two of fresh garlic, choped itsy bitsy, and about half a teaspon of honey in with the dressing. It's AMAZING on spinach. OHHHHHHHHHH put some pecans on it too! Oh my god, I need a salad! Brb!

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Don't even start on Asian food. I have killed many men for a taste of General Tso's. Once, I even ate a plate of it that had been sitting out for almost a week (well, okay, I was a little high at the time). I LOVE it. LOVE. I'll mangle a puppy for it.

....:cry: Okay, maybe not a puppy, but a nice healthy baby.

You could mangle the puppy and then eat it. They do that in Asia, right?

All jokes aside (or were they jokes!?), I love General's Chicken. :3

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 01:49 AM
You could mangle the puppy and then eat it. They do that in Asia, right?

All jokes aside (or were they jokes!?), I love General's Chicken. :3
:cry: I don't wanna eat the puppy! I want to eat the human!

Akuma
03-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Make up your mind! Really!

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 03:26 AM
OHHHHHHHHHH put some pecans on it too!

I WOULD put pecans on it, except for that itsy-bitsy problem I have where, upon consuming pecans or walnuts, my throat starts closing. Pity, because I loves to eat dem nutz.

MODDDDDDDDS!!! TSUKI'S TRYING TO MAKE ME EAT A SALAD THAT WILL KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 03:29 AM
I have wicked PMS like that. I have to take a medication so I don't go postal on the dorks in my house or in my apartment building.

I have endometriosis and sometimes go MONTHS without a "visit". Sounds great, right? Noooooo...the PMS *SNOWBALLS*. ie., January, I get PMS. Nothing happens. January's PMS carries over and joins February's PMS. Nothing happens...then along comes March...

My record is 6 months. By the time it shows up, I'm MISERABLE. And, of course, once it DOES start, I'm even MORE miserable.

*SIGH* Why couldn't I have been a MAN?

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 03:31 AM
A cow that goes swimming? Sounds like. . .*snicker*. . .a mad cow. . .

. . .disease. . .

. . .uh. . .yeah. . .I'll sit myself in the corner, that was bad of me.

Better that than a fish. *shudder* I'd rather eat a mad cow than a fish. Blech.

I once passed a cow pasture where there were sprinklers running, dousing all the cows with water. My friend and I decided they were "watering their cows", and it explained the exceptionally moist and delicious steaks we'd had at the local steakhouse the previous night.

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 03:31 AM
I WOULD put pecans on it, except for that itsy-bitsy problem I have where, upon consuming pecans or walnuts, my throat starts closing. Pity, because I loves to eat dem nutz.

MODDDDDDDDS!!! TSUKI'S TRYING TO MAKE ME EAT A SALAD THAT WILL KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Eat it anyway. At least you'll die happy, no?

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Eat it anyway. At least you'll die happy, no?

Ummmm...no. There's nothing happy about your throat closing. Bad times, bad times.

Akuma
03-30-2007, 03:59 AM
Ummmm...no. There's nothing happy about your throat closing. Bad times, bad times.

Unless you're someone who just needs to shut up.

Well, everyone else would be happy, anyway.

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Unless you're someone who just needs to shut up.

Well, everyone else would be happy, anyway.

No, not really. It doesn't *completely* close, at least not right away, so I make whistly wheezy gagging sounds and flail around. I suppose I should invest in an Epipen or something...but for now I just make weird noises until my throat opens up again.

So, inducing an anaphelactic reaction won't necessarily shut me up. Not technically, anyway.

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
No, not really. It doesn't *completely* close, at least not right away, so I make whistly wheezy gagging sounds and flail around. I suppose I should invest in an Epipen or something...but for now I just make weird noises until my throat opens up again.

So, inducing an anaphelactic reaction won't necessarily shut me up. Not technically, anyway.
Sounds like a party trick to me. :Shrug:

:D

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a party trick to me. :Shrug:

:D

Nah...that whole "oh shit I'm going to die" thing kinda ruins the magic. Loses the entertainment value, ya know?

Now, when I could crack my jaw loud enough to be heard across a room? THAT was a party trick...

TsukiRyoko
03-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Nah...that whole "oh shit I'm going to die" thing kinda ruins the magic. Loses the entertainment value, ya know?

Now, when I could crack my jaw loud enough to be heard across a room? THAT was a party trick...
last time I almost died, people threw quarters. :Shrug:

thethinker42
03-30-2007, 08:50 PM
last time I almost died, people threw quarters. :Shrug:

Damn, that never happens for me.

I usually get "oh shit, are you hurt AGAIN?" (I've been hauled out of Disneyland, a jewelry store, and a schoolbus in ambulances, plus I've had some wacky horse-related injuries...my friends think someone's going to put me to sleep before I reach 35).