NEED INFO re: POD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Aust

I'm thinking about doing a POD on one of my out-of-print books as it's still listed at several sites and reviews were good.>
> Does anyone have experience with Booksurge (part of Amazon) or with Booklocker?
>
> I'd appreciate anyone's experience with POD/another company.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat Aust
>
> --------------------------------

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
BOOKSURGE:
I just signed on with BS (I know, I know!). Anyway, I have a copy of their contract if you want one for yourself. BS doesn't post their contract on their website. I assume you;ve already looked at it. If you have your ms formatted and tHE cover art done then you can opt for their $99 feature. It includes the 13 ISBN. Of course your book will be automagically included on the AMZ catalog. If your out of print book is still on Amz customers accessing that will be sent to the new page. BS distributes through Baker & Taylor as well as their own system.

A word on the POD. I recently learned from a man who does extremely well with POD that authors should avoid the 6x9 trim size and the $$.95 list price. These apparently are tip-offs that the book is POD. I didn't think it made much difference but he says that retailers catch it quickly.
If I think of anything I'll post again.
C

I'm thinking about doing a POD on one of my out-of-print books as it's still listed at several sites and reviews were good.>
> Does anyone have experience with Booksurge (part of Amazon) or with Booklocker?
>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat Aust
>

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
authors should avoid the 6x9 trim size
Very true in regards to fiction, especially if it's slim. Else, hogwash.
and the $$.95 list price.
Nonsense. In fact, I'm generally tipped off by prices of the form $xx.00.

Retailers catch on quickly because they know something about books & taking in every piece of printed BS that floats by would kill the store. Most self-designed covers clearly advertise the dreck inside.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Well I certainly have been put in my place! Never mind that my information comes from my own experience and that of others who like me have a network of information sharing.

As for POD and or BS cover art being drek I can only say that prior to signing with BS I bought (at random) one of their products. The cover art and interior was as good as any soft cover book out there; so too the content.

As for list pricing I didn't suggest $xx.00. It could be any thing really. The fellow how mentioned this to me acutally upped his list price to $xx.99 from $xx.95.
I agree that buyers are savvy and these mean little to them.

In future If anyone here feels the need to rebutt my remarks I'd appreciate it if words like "Nonsense" be avoided. I take deprecating remarks personally.
C

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
PA,I need to make a correction. The author whom I mentioned emailed me last Feb. I referred to his email when I posted to your question. I read his email again this morning and I was mistaken.

Here is a portion of his email "...Most PODs publish books in the 6x9 format, which clearly screams POD to the discerning buyer. I typeset my books for a 5.5x 8 format, which is indistinguishable from traditionally published books." and again, "...here's an example of their suggested retail pricing, taken from my most recent book with them, which contains 368 pages. Their suggested retail (so they can recover their costs of the book from the printer, offer a discount to Ingrams, and pay me 25% royalties off the retail price) was $17.99. I upped that price to $18.95, not because I'm greedy, but because traditional publishers usually price their books with the 0.95 ending. Even priced books and those ending in 0.99 are the hallmarks of a amateur company."

And once more, "...At Booksurge, my novel at $18.95 pays me royalty of $4.74 per book sold. It came out in mid November, and I've already been paid almost $1000 in royalties. Booksurge pays royalties on a monthly basis. I don't need to sell nearly as many books to make good royalties each month."

C

Last edited:

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I was not technically a book retailer, but I was a retailer whose sales included books (~25% of my sales).

Anybody can print in any size.

Price varies by manufacturer policy, not printing method.

POD books are more likely by publishers I've never heard of. By general policy, I didn't carry them except by customer request.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .I'm generally tipped off by prices of the form $xx.00. . .
So you would be "tipped off" by the $40.00 price of The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus (Oxford University Press), for example? Or by the $35.00 price of Christopher Tyerman's God's War: A New History of the Crusades (Harvard University Press)? Or by the $35.00 price of Kevin Starr's Coast of Dreams: California on the Edge, 1990 - 2003 (Alfred A. Knopf)? Or the $24.00 price of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic & Baby (The Dial Press)? Or the $25.00 price of Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope (Crown Publishers)? Or the $26.00 price of Chalmers Johnson's Nemesis (Henry Holt and Company)? Or the $14.00 price of John Mortimer's Quite Honestly (Penguin)? Or the $17.00 price of Kate Turabian's A Manual for Writers (7th ed.; University of Chicago Press)?

Interesting.

--Ken

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
1. *.99 is mass market; *.95 is hardcover and trade paperback.

2. Both the 5x8" and 6x9" trim sizes are used for trade paperbacks by reputable publishers.

3. Lloyd Brown knows what he's talking about.

Onward.

So you would be "tipped off" by the $40.00 price of The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus (Oxford University Press), for example? Or by the $35.00 price of Christopher Tyerman's God's War: A New History of the Crusades (Harvard University Press)? Or by the $35.00 price of Kevin Starr's Coast of Dreams: California on the Edge, 1990 - 2003 (Alfred A. Knopf)? Or the $24.00 price of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic & Baby (The Dial Press)? Or the $25.00 price of Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope (Crown Publishers)? Or the $26.00 price of Chalmers Johnson's Nemesis (Henry Holt and Company)? Or the $14.00 price of John Mortimer's Quite Honestly (Penguin)? Or the $17.00 price of Kate Turabian's A Manual for Writers (7th ed.; University of Chicago Press)?

Interesting.

But not very interesting. See above, on pricing conventions.

The books you cite are almost all published by distinguished and/or academic publishers, and almost all of them are reference books. Is that not enough to suggest to you that it's a different pricing convention?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat Aust
>

http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html

Check out both on Piers Anthony's site. He's had some unfavorable reports about Book Locker. Book Locker also only does non-fiction to the best of my recollection.

Regards,
Scott

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . The books you cite are almost all published by distinguished and/or academic publishers, and almost all of them are reference books. Is that not enough to suggest to you that it's a different pricing convention?
Two of them are reference books (although Turabian/7th is not just a reference book). Two are history books, two are current-events/public affairs books, and two are popular novels (one a trade paperback and one the latest hardback in a best-selling series).

What this suggests to me is that the marketing boys and girls who set the prices are no longer averse to even-dollar pricing.

Y'all can examine bookstore shelves and see what you find, if you want. I just picked a handful of examples (all readily at hand).

--Ken

P.S. More than half (8 of 15) of the trade paperback bestsellers in the latest Publishers Weekly are priced in even-dollar amounts. No need to get huffy that I actually look for facts instead of just blowing smoke.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
What this suggests to me is that the marketing boys and girls who set the prices are no longer averse to even-dollar pricing.
You're just dyin' to have someone mistake you for a publishing expert.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Y'all can examine bookstore shelves and see what you find, if you want. I just picked a handful of examples (all readily at hand).

P.S. More than half (8 of 15) of the trade paperback bestsellers in the latest Publishers Weekly are priced in even-dollar amounts.
So... having just looked 'em up, you tell someone who merely happens to disagree with you to "look it up yourself." Not that this is passive-aggressive or anything -- interesting!

Also fails the Turing test. All you've done is provide negative proofs, where I was defeating a sweeping generalisation. Not comparable, as anyone with a freshman-class knowledge of symbolic logic could spot. For instance, few tradesize novels have prices ending in .00 -- it's an easy guess than most of the examples you offer are references, hardcovers, or memoir, hardly applicable to a discussion of self-pub much less POD.

At the moment, $x.95 & $x.99 appear to dominate, partly from tradition & partly from the psychological factor of feeling $1 cheaper. Not a guarantee but, when a PODder is already fighting a strong current, only a sadist would encourage her/him to increase the challenge.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, $x.95 & $x.99 appear to dominate, partly from tradition & partly from the psychological factor of feeling $1 cheaper.
I have taken the unusual step of consulting an expert. He said:

$x.95
$x.50
$x.00 = Hardcover or trade paperback; whole-copy returnable.

$x.99
$x.49 = Mass market; strippable.

He added that of late he's been seeing occasional exceptions to this schema; and before this one came in, one saw $x.95 mass-market paperbacks. However, as an overall rule, $x.95 still signifies hardcover or trade paperback, and $x.99 still signifies mass-market paperback.

He also confirmed that 6 x 9" and 5 x 8" trims are both used all the time by conventional publishing houses.

Does that answer your question?

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
???

It's just a reference to The Princess Bride.

Status
Not open for further replies.