Word Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayBear

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for what must be a question already discussed, but I tried searching the forums without success. The question: Does it matter to editors and agents whether work is done (and submitted electronically at any time) in WordPerfect or Word? I much prefer WordPerfect for everything, but can use Word if that's an accepted convention.

TIA.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think this has been addressed before. I personally prefer WordPerfect as well, but you can't fight City Hall. Word is the accepted standard, and if you submit electronically, convert. Even if it causes some formatting glitches, you basically have no choice. Don't even think about submitting in WordPerfect format.

"WordPerfect? We haven't used that since 1997."

Actual editor quote.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
The proper response is check the guidelines. Different publishers and editors have different preferences. I can't think of any that will accept .wpd and not a .doc, but oftentimes, they will accept an .rtf or some other, cross-program file type.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I use WordPerfect too. Sometimes editors request a conversion to Word. Sometimes they'll ask for a rtf. For my book ms, since I was even more of a computer dweeb then, than I am now, they did the converting for me.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Places that take electronic files usually want either Word or, more and more frequently, an RTF. Either Word or WordPerfect can create an RTF file, so just use the software you feel more comfortable with.

JD, who loves WordPerfect

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't care if you write in .doc (Word) or .wps (Works) or .docx (Word2007) or any other format out there. When submitting, put it into .rtf. Unless they say otherwise.

Well, you can please yourselves. I do, at any rate, no matter what program I've been using. The odds are 99% that the editor has Word on their computer, but why take the chance? No matter what program, they can open .rtf. Even if they don't HAVE a program, they have WordPad and it knows what to do with .rtf too.

This is probably me throwing back to the days when programs like Works, Word, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, were violently unable to communicate with each other. These days, it's less of a problem, I realize. Still, old habits die hard. I would be uncomfortable sending the file as anything but .rtf anymore.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't suppose anyone even knows what a .txt file is anymore...

I was using it earlier today. I did a couple of pages of comic script directly into Notepad, because it was comfortable and the only thing I needed was the ability to use CAPS lock. When I first discovered computers, I wrote my first dozen or so stories in .txt format.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I don't suppose anyone even knows what a .txt file is anymore...
I used to use an (ancient) computer running DOS 1 or 2 with WordStar, which was a very basic word processor and saved in the .txt format, I believe.

Now? I still use Notepad and Wordpad. They create documents with smaller footprints, and not every document requires formatting, and the programs load faster than, say, Word. And yeah, I use Notepad a fair bit. Perhaps once or three times a week, sometimes a whole lot more than that.

Seriously, you throw down a glove like that... :p

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't care if you write in .doc (Word) or .wps (Works) or .docx (Word2007) or any other format out there. When submitting, put it into .rtf. Unless they say otherwise.

Well, you can please yourselves. I do, at any rate, no matter what program I've been using. The odds are 99% that the editor has Word on their computer, but why take the chance? No matter what program, they can open .rtf. Even if they don't HAVE a program, they have WordPad and it knows what to do with .rtf too.

This is probably me throwing back to the days when programs like Works, Word, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, were violently unable to communicate with each other. These days, it's less of a problem, I realize. Still, old habits die hard. I would be uncomfortable sending the file as anything but .rtf anymore.

Unfortunately, these days .rtf doesn't always work very well, and doesn't always cross platforms as well as a Word Doc. I don't know if .rtf has changed, though I believe it has, but word processors have certainly changed, and some of the newer versions of Word can really screw up .rtf made on other word processors.

Unless a place specifies .rtf, I always send Word Doc, simply because the recipient is probably using Word, and a recent version of Word, at that.

It would not surprise me to learn that Microsoft does not like anything but Word DOC, and has made newer versions of Word less compatible with older forms of .rtf.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to use OpenOffice for everything I can (.odt has the smallest footprint I've ever seen for formatted text) and then convert to Word if I HAVE to for sending stuff out. OO does this cleanly and very well in my experience.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
It would not surprise me to learn that Microsoft does not like anything but Word DOC, and has made newer versions of Word less compatible with older forms of .rtf.

Actually, I hear that MS seem to be loosening their reins in terms of compatability. They apparently agreed to support the open format, .odt in the latest version of Word.
That said, you may be right where .rtf is concerned. Wouldn't surprise me either.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
odt

Actually, I hear that MS seem to be loosening their reins in terms of compatability. They apparently agreed to support the open format, .odt in the latest version of Word.
That said, you may be right where .rtf is concerned. Wouldn't surprise me either.

Sure, just as they agreed to support WordPerfect files, and a few others. MS must support odt, if they want odt believers to keep using Word. But it isn't because they want to relax compatibility standards, it's because they want to keep Word at the top of the mountain.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To write your story/article/script/etc., use whatever you are most comfortable with, even if it's crayon on toilet paper. At that stage, getting the writing done is all that matters. When the file hits the editor's inbox, they aren't going to care one whit what you did before you hit 'send.'

Once you are ready to submit, check the guidelines for each place/person you submit to and follow them to the letter. If they ask you to put your script in a spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation, do it or don't submit to them.

If they don't specify what type of file to send, a Word document or an rtf file are your safest bet. Without specific instructions to the contrary, those really are the only file formats you should use when submitting electronically.

Always keep in mind that the whole point of the exercise is to get the person on the receiving end to read your work. Therefore everything should be geared toward that end. So give 'em exactly what they want.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com

This is news to me. Damn it. Ah well. Live, learn, etc.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these days .rtf doesn't always work very well, and doesn't always cross platforms as well as a Word Doc. I don't know if .rtf has changed, though I believe it has, but word processors have certainly changed, and some of the newer versions of Word can really screw up .rtf made on other word processors.

No! No, no, no, no! :rant: I despise Word. I will not give in! (Ok, who am I kidding. It's not like I'll ever need to worry about dealing with editors.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, if memory serves, the rtf format was a Microsoft invention to begin with. So I can see them tweaking rtf to add/remove stuff so that other program's implementation of the rtf export filter doesn't include the 'improvements.' Another example of embrace-and-extend, meaning you have to conform to Microsoft's version or die.

This is, of course, purely speculation on my part. :D

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
<crusty-behind-the-times> Of course, you don't have this problem with a TYPEWRITER... </crusty-behind-the-times>

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but even if you roll the pages up really tight, they won't fit through the DSL modem cable. ;)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You're an obnoxious caterpillar ever since you got arms, legs, and facial hair. Gawd.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
pi_bigsmile.gif

brunoshouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jaandersonhouse.com
I'm dealing with Lotus word Pro here. I love it! Reformatting is always an issue.. I will mail anything anytime. I have tried Word, but I hate it it. I suppose I better adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.