Anyone here know PA writer, Ken Woodard?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email from him today (not an AW email or private message, a proper email to my email address), asking me to go and have a look at his new Amazon Short, with a link to it, and also to his website.

However: unless I'm missing something major (which is entirely possible), I don't know who he is, or how he got hold of my email address.

The only connections I have with PA are through my posts here, and a few emails I exchanged with a UK-based PA writer some time ago.

Did anyone else hear from Mr Woodard?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed Ken asking why he emailed me, and just got back this reply:

Jane -

You were spammed, mystery solved.
I have been banned from the PublishAmerica messageboard for over a year and have resorted to individual e-mails for advertising purposes. Your address was lifted from there or from a web site of someone who participates on the board. I can still read the messages, but can't send. My apology for the devious method. Won't happen again!
Thanks anyway for responding.

Ken

I've emailed back to him, pointing him towards the links that Uncle Jim provided, and asking him exactly who supplied him with my address so that I can make sure they remove my name from their lists. I've also pointed out to him the legal implications of spamming, and how ineffectual it is. Let's hope Ken--and any other writer tempted to resort to spam--gets the message.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You and everyone else with an email address. That's why there are spam filters.

You mean....Prince Monohama from Nigeria doesn't really want my help in moving 30,000,000 United States dollars...?

crap.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
You mean....Prince Monohama from Nigeria doesn't really want my help in moving 30,000,000 United States dollars...?

crap.

Nope. And you can also forget about that Carribean cruise. Never gonna happen.

*sniff*

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Fortunately, MegaBabe1589 still Wants Me Badly. We'll always have Chatroom 38, babe.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I have spam filter. they come as regular email address's. I did win one million dollars last week.

Neat! I'd say mail it to me, but I'll be on a Free World Wide Celebrity Cruise next week. ;)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I have spam filter. they come as regular email address's. I did win one million dollars last week.

Even though my spam filter does an awesome job, some spam still gets through, about three or four a day.

I hope you were joking about the million dollars - those "lotto" emails are a terrible scam and following through on them can cost you thousands. See: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/lottery.asp

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju

crap.

Hey, me and the the Prince are like *that* Mister PeeDee! He said he was just having a little fun with you, but since you were such a good sport, he's wiring a pickup order today to your bank for five thousand gold Kreuggerands.

Thing is, he said he's having a bit of cash crunch right now, and wondered if you could front the Western Union fee. I told him sure.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Ordinarily I wouldn't, but since I may already be a winner, nudge, nudge, what the heck, I can afford to live a little.

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
Nigerian Scam Uncovered

NBC Dateline did an investigative piece on the Nigerian Scam artists. The staff of Dateline took a plane to London, England and set up an undercover operation. The results were, Dateline interviewed one scam artist and the other ran away. They operate out of coffee houses in London, the United States, Nigeria, you name it - they operate out of it.

The saddest thing is that they flaunt their ill gotten gains and buy expensive cars, clothes, etc. Some of the really successful Nigerian scam artists actually holds seminars to teach others how to use the Web to scam the people of the United States, Canada, etc.

On the Dateline piece, one of the scam artists - when confronted by the cameras - actually gave back $500 to the reporter - it was good faith money, to keep the undercover operation going.

My g-mail account gets scammed with about 50 to 100 scams a day. The reason? I asked for some information regarding grants and loans from the AnswerGuy who has a book out. Once I put my e-mail address into his data base, my g-mail account became a depository for every scam artist in the world. Everything that has to do with enhancing a particular part of the male anatomy to Nigerian scam artists. One click of the delete button, and they are gone. Some try to bypass the spam protection - Once I discover that it is spam, I report the e-mail as spam. The e-mail then goes into the spam lock-out section of my e-mail.

The point of all this, is to never open an e-mail that you are not familiar with. Back in the late nineties, I was talking to a buddy in Australia - and there appeared a message that the person was sending me pictures. Not knowing any better, I opened the file - and my hard drive crashed immediately.

Some PublishAmerica authors read the AW board - become members - never posting a dang thing. They just want access to the member’s e-mail address's to promote their books. Get the picture?

Gary Rogers

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Thankfully, my G-mail filter works really, really, really well. Too well, some days. It will occasionally inexplicably put e-mails from my editor into the spam folder. Which means it's either overzealous, or Freudian.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Interestingly enough, the special email box I set up for the sting manuscript sent to PA has managed to receive some spam and scam offers. Now I wonder who was nice enough to give out that address?

I point this out because I have another very private email address that was used for other addressees, but not PA, and it hasn't received any spam and scam yet.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
If your e-mail didn't resonate so bad with 'em, PA wouldn't have to sell it.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Dang! You mean I didn't win the Internet lottery?

Dave, that e-mail address was most likely hit because the spammers are now using dictionary programs. They spam everywordtheycanthinkof@yourdomain. We have an address on our domain that has never been shared with the outside world. It gets spam. They hit all those addresses, and then anything that doesn't bounce back is considered a good address.

Nasty stuff, but I don't suspect that this is a situation where you can pin the blame on any one entity.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Woodard hasn't posted on the PAMB since 2005. That's about all I can tell you.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Great advice, Jim.

Old Hack - if this guy spams you again report to his ISP and to the FTC. I just reported another site spamming to writers yesterday. Geez, Louise.