Cutting Class

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I was late to work this AM. Traffic was terrible. So I took my favorite shortcut. The one that goes right past my daughter's HS. So I drive past, make the turn and go down the street. I see a bunch of kids heading to the convenience store. I say to myself.."Those kids are cutting second period class, Boy won't their parent's be p.o.'d."

Then I recognize the kids.

One of them is mine.

So I pull up next to them and say :"HI!"

One kid took off. Mine, and the ones I recognized stayed and tried to explain to me that it was the break between classes and they were just going for a soda.

So I made them walk back to school, and followed them to make sure they went inside.

The TV has already been yoinked for bad grades. What else can I do that is fair and doesn't make her think I am on a power trip?

(I mean more than her logging on here tonight or tomorrow and discovering I posted this in a thread for EVERYONE to see and comment on and offer suggestions for punishment.)

Any suggestions...come on. .. I know some of you are teenagers... this is your chance...what would you do if she were yours?

the expression on her face when I pulled up beside her and she realized it was not a murderous pervert....

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I skipped so many classes during my teenage years -- so I guess I am not in a position to give you advice. :) I still made good grades, though, so my parents didn't even know I cut classes. But anyway, there has to be better ways than just punishment. For me, punishment didn't work. It has to be some kind of reward -- positive reinforcement -- but short of being a "bribe." That is, it can't be used for negotiations. It has to be "spontaneous" and unexpected.

Like the watch my dad gave me because I made it into a prestigious school. There were never talks about getting any reward for anything. My dad just sprung that one on me. I still remember it.

So, I still cut classes. A lot. But I managed to get really good grades as well.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ship her off to a country where the kids are GRATEFUL for the chance to go to school !

no- wait - that only works with eating your peas.

Give her a lecture on when YOU were a kid, and school was . . . Wait, no, that won't work either. They didn't have school back then, she'd never fall for it.

Make her write on the chalk board I Will Never Cut Class 10,000 times.

no, that only works with spitwads.

Sell her on eBay?:Shrug:

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
For me, punishment didn't work. It has to be some kind of reward -- positive reinforcement -- but short of being a "bribe." That is, it can't be used for negotiations. It has to be "spontaneous" and unexpected.

I'm betting you don't have kids.

I say beat her hard.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Do you have an old typewriter? Make her type "I will not cut class because my education is valuable." 500 times. (I remember typing "I will not smoke at XX Sunny Valley Road" 500 times.)
My friend's mom used to dump a bucket of cold water over her head. I always thought that was pretty creative (and entertaining to bystanders).

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm betting you don't have kids.

I say beat her hard.

LOL. No I don't have kids. But I was one, and punishment didn't work on me. Eventually my parents gave up on punishment. They stopped beating me or punishing me or grounding me when I was about 8. They realized, it just didn't work.

I had TWO breakthroughs during my childhood and they were BOTH positive reinforcements -- that I was rewarded, to my surprise, for doing well and applying myself. There was NO greater feeling than to feel appreciated and respected and valued. And that was the greatest motivation for me to continue to do well -- not to get a fix, but to feel good about myself. I went from failing classes to being at the top of my class in a matter of months.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Threaten to walk her to her first class, right to the classroom . . . everyday. In front of all her friends. While wearing the clothes you wore as a teenager.

A fate worse than death.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Today my mother called me an hour before my Chaucer class. She said, "hey, we are coincidentally in town and eating at one of the best restaurants. Come on out."

I say, "Mom, I have a class in an hour."

Mom: "Skip it."

So, what should I do, punish my mother for making me skip a class during my senior year of college while I am in my mid-twenties?

Really people, the question is pertinent.

I had the lamb shoulder with arugala and garbonzo bean salad, by the way. And a beer. And she paid.

Jay baby, the answer to your question is that there is not much you can actually do. If you take away things at home she is just going to try and stay out, if you set a curfew on that too it will be broken leading to more penalties. You see the cycle of course. Set down reasonable expectations, have a discussion. Set certain goals to be met by certain times. For instance: In three months I would like to see you have done "this" or "that" if you do "this or that" or "this and that" then there is an appropriate reward. If not then I will beat you to within an inch of your life and take your cell phone. (Note: The incentive laced contract with appropriate detriments to not attaining the performance incentives.) All restrictions and "grounding" and stern rule do is alienating her until she is about 19 or 20 when she decides that she really does love her mom and all that teenage crap was silly. Though, if you want to make life more difficult by all means throw a fit and make promises you can't enforce. I just know that it probably won't work.

Anyway, that is just me. Will you cut class with me next time I decide to miss Chaucer? (Lunch is on you.)

W

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
"Those kids are cutting second period class, Boy won't their parent's be p.o.'d."

Then I recognize the kids.

One of them is mine.

So I pull up next to them and say :"HI!"

One kid took off. Mine, and the ones I recognized stayed and tried to explain to me that it was the break between classes and they were just going for a soda.

So I made them walk back to school, and followed them to make sure they went inside.
I'm sorry but :roll: :roll::roll:. *sigh* Memories. Seriously, I think you need to punish her based on personality type. What works for one doesn’t work for another.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Threaten to walk her to her first class, right to the classroom . . . everyday. In front of all her friends. While wearing the clothes you wore as a teenager.

A fate worse than death.

:ROFL:

I probably would have been grounded for life if I'd cut class like that and gotten caught...

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score

A fate worse than death.

Ummmm....she currently owns somee of the clothes I wore as a teenager. They call it 'vintage' or 'retro' or something like that.

I could always force her to wear something new...but that means spending money.

the first class is 'health'. Can you say eeewww. the second class is Math. I can show up for the second class and actually sit through most of it before I have to leave for work.

This is all weird to me, because I've never had problems before. Both kids know that education is valued, they are valued, and as long as the grades are good and the house is clean..that they both have a lot of leeway. I've always felt that they are responsible and that I could trust them.

Cutting class...combined with absymal grades erodes that trust.

I am very, very disappointed. My feelings are hurt. I do not want to have to follow her around like a cop, but it looks like I will have to.

I am being forced to sellout to the establishment..to be 'the man'
...and I have to tell the other parents. I hate that.

Her brother is going to yell at her more than I will.

I'm putting the cat box in her room.

Tsuki...you want a child care job? I'll give you a leash and...brownies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Tell her if she doesn't work hard in school she might end up earning her living as a midlist writer.

That should about do it. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cell phone. Music. Land line. One, two or all three: Gone. :)
Yuppers Jay, take away any one of their electronic communications and they'll bawl like babies...
My teen even has a name for her cell phone---Baby Freddie.

ETA: Btw does your school have EDLINE? I can follow my teen around all day long on this computer school site..even tells me if she is 1 minute late for class.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Practice tough love . . . take her to a Taco Bell new employee training class. Or a prison. Show her what the future will be like . . .

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Practice tough love . . . take her to a Taco Bell new employee training class. Or a prison. Show her what the future will be like . . .

Brilliant. Taco Bell hires 14 yr olds!

Better yet..the Regal (movie theatre) does too! On a Friday evening the bathrooms can get pretty nas-ty!

(Psst...Hey Tsuki...wanna kid?)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just need to get some kind of fast food restaurant uniform and take it home for her to try on. "Why, honey, you look great in dull brown. And that hat is to die for!"

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I would try having a chat with her about why she skipped class today. Start with, "I can understand why...", or "I remember I hated my second period class...". Some thing along those lines. There could be bigger issues. A good heart to heart never hurts.

This could also explain why her grades are low. Visit her HS and ask them to print up an attendance sheet on her. You can then see what classes she is missing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
One of my friends had trouble with her teenage girl... told her to be home by 11pm from a school function. Kid didn't show.

My friend went to get her. Parked at the school stadium and walked all the way to the building where the function had been held, passing all through all of the crowds of teens 'til she finally found her daughter talking to some friends outside the building.

To this day, Kim will turn bright red when we remind her of the night Mom picked her up... dressed in her nightgown, ratty old robe and pink fuzzy slippers.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Yuppers Jay, take away any one of their electronic communications and they'll bawl like babies...
My teen even has a name for her cell phone---Baby Freddie.

ETA: Btw does your school have EDLINE? I can follow my teen around all day long on this computer school site..even tells me if she is 1 minute late for class.

Yes!!! We just got Edline..But it is not set up for me to 'follow her around'.

But if that is an option, then the school needs to enable it.
Now that I know....well....

And she is home from school. And she's read this. And she is mortified.

GOOD!!!!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Cutting class...combined with absymal grades erodes that trust.

I am very, very disappointed. My feelings are hurt. I do not want to have to follow her around like a cop, but it looks like I will have to.

I am being forced to sellout to the establishment..to be 'the man'
...and I have to tell the other parents. I hate that.

Jay,
Take her to her room where she and give her the "disappointment" speech. How you thought she had been really mature, but that grades and cutting class have shown you this is not true and it's disappointed you. That it hurts you.

That speech used to kill me. I'd feel so bad and so guilty. After you're done saying your piece, let her know that you are too upset to think of a fitting punishment right now, and walk away.

Or you could follow her around school all of one day in tatty sweats with your hair all not done, and embarrass the living daylights out of her. Let her know that it will continue for one day each month until she gets her act together.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hi there, Jaycinth's daughter!

We're just getting started good. Wait until you hear of all the things we come up with. You won't be able to get a date until you're 30.

(Just teasing! ;-)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jays daughter--my baby girl is 16. I have a lot of tricks up my sleave-- ;)
Just kidding sweetie--be good to your Mama.