Who should go home?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, time to rank this weeks performers.

1. Blake: Sexy song choice. I love the Cure and he did the song proud.

2. Melinda: she has skills the others can't even dream of.

3. LaKisha: Also very skilled. But she's so controlled lately. I want a little more emotion from her.

4. Jordin: Not my favorite song, but she's young and fresh and she has the pipes. Still needs to learn how to control her voice.

5. Gina: My girl is back! That was a great song choice.

6. Chris R: It's not my thing, but I recognize that he's good at what he does. Just too boy band for my taste. Justin Timberlake Lite.

7. Phil Stacy: He moves up this week on my list. I liked his song and he looks much better when he covers his head. GROW HAIR, DUDE!

8. Chris Sligh: I see little to no growth in him. He sounds the same every week and he can't stay with the tempo of the music. Sideshow Bob is going home very soon.

9. Hayley: utterly forgettable, but she doesn't make my ears bleed, so she isn't last.

10. Sanjaya: Ow! My ears! And WTF is that on his head?

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
My top ten ..

1) Melinda: she will definitely be in the top two

2) Blake: He can make any song memorable...he will be in the top two with Melinda.

3) LaKisha: Yes she's skilled and good to see her step out of her "comfort" zone... a top three or four.

4) Jordin: Cute, sassy and an overall good singer... She doesn't seem to be a one trick pony.

5) Haley: A cute face and voice...she should have chosen a different song.

6) Chris S.: A very good singer, but no emotion this week... I think he might go home...but I hope not..

10) Sanjaya: Yeah I know I skipped four people but HE HAS GOT TO GO..and what the F!!!! that hairdo---OMG!! What WAS he thinking?

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Does anyone else think Blake looks like the cutie who won So You Think You Can Dance last season? I thought he'd slipped in under a different name to work that blond mojo again. ;)

Love Melinda and I have new respect for Gina after this week. LaKisha needs to step it up a little or she'll pull a Daughtry. Hmmm, I think I just made up a new term...

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Sanjaya could probably fall down vomitting on the stage, and all the frantically dialing folk will still keep him alive. Oops, that just pointed back at us non-dialing folk, didn't it...

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Okay, time to rank this weeks performers.

1. Blake: Sexy song choice. I love the Cure and he did the song proud.

2. Melinda: she has skills the others can't even dream of.

3. LaKisha: Also very skilled. But she's so controlled lately. I want a little more emotion from her.

4. Jordin: Not my favorite song, but she's young and fresh and she has the pipes. Still needs to learn how to control her voice.

5. Gina: My girl is back! That was a great song choice.

6. Chris R: It's not my thing, but I recognize that he's good at what he does. Just too boy band for my taste. Justin Timberlake Lite.

7. Phil Stacy: He moves up this week on my list. I liked his song and he looks much better when he covers his head. GROW HAIR, DUDE!

8. Chris Sligh: I see little to no growth in him. He sounds the same every week and he can't stay with the tempo of the music. Sideshow Bob is going home very soon.

9. Hayley: utterly forgettable, but she doesn't make my ears bleed, so she isn't last.

10. Sanjaya: Ow! My ears! And WTF is that on his head?

I agree with your assessment, except I'd probably switch Phil & Chris R. I even agree with your comment about Phil's hair --my hubby shaves his head, so I LOVE a nice shaved head but Phil's either got a weird shaped head or his eyes are too big and he just looks kinda alien with a shiny pate.

And Sanjaya. OMG. He just creeps me out when he picks the odd song then sings it dainty-like. I have no idea WHY the faux-hawk.... Just... bizarre. But if Howard Stern and company have their way he'll be around at least another week.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Sanremoave...I have to agree with you there...OMG!!! Sanjaya is just, well creepy... He'll be another Chicken Little (that 16-year old kid that lingered around forever last you) although MUCH better than Sanjaya...

Personally I think it will come down to Blake and Melinda...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Blake and Melinda.

LOL! Phil does look like an alien! I like bald heads on men, but his just looks....wrong.

And Sanjaya is just plain wrong period. Blech.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Soccer mom I think we should start a Get rid of Sanjay drive... :) Yes he's just plain wrong-- something is clearly wrong with him..

Whoever wins, Blake or Melinda they will have much sucsess... I think Melinda has the upper hand though.. just my honest opinion.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Melinda is of course the best, but I really enjoy Gina's and Blake's voices the most. Neither one of them will win but I hope they'll have Daughtry-style success after the fact. I listened to the whole show last night without looking at the TV (I was looking at the computer :eek:) and it really does make a difference, hearing without watching. Solidified my opinions of all of them.

Hayley...for some reason, I'm extremely embarrassed for her whenever she sings. I don't know why, I just feel like cringing on her behalf.

Sanjaya...is still there because of vote for the worst dot com, and only because of vote for the worst dot com. They actually have power this year, which is a little unnerving. He may actually win for all we know...but then again, that might be okay. Not for the producers of course! They're quaking in their boots at the prospect of him winning.

Anyway I'm not sure I want any of my favorites to win. I loved Daughtry (still do) and was actually pretty glad when he was booted, because that meant he was free, and at just about the best possible time to be set free. He was bigger than the show and I'd have hated to see him snared in the machine. Same thing with Blake and Gina this year.

Chris R being Timberlite...dead on. I've thought that for weeks. ;)

Last edited:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Moth...

I've listened to Daughtry's CD and it's awesome...Yes he's much better off without Idol in my opinion.

I hope that Sanjaya doesn't win... good lord that would be, well disaster!! I think Melinda has it sewn up though.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, Melinda & Blake are about even for me.

Other than switching the Chrises, I like Soccer Mom's list. I think Chris R. is boring, both personality-wise & vocally. Chris S. seems to sing everything the same, but at least he's interesting.

ETA: I mean for overall top ten, not just last night.

Last edited:

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
He's still in the Idol machine.

If you make the top 12, the Idol people own you. That's why that Mario guy quit right before it.
:eek: Really? How has he been able to form his own band and release his own CD and tour with them (not with AI, though I know he was contractually bound to do that and I'm sure he did)? AI wouldn't have been able to stop him from accepting Fuel's offer if he'd wanted it, would they? I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I thought after the summer tour, the 12th through 2nd place finishers were done. How does it really work?

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
:eek: Really? How has he been able to form his own band and release his own CD and tour with them (not with AI, though I know he was contractually bound to do that and I'm sure he did)? AI wouldn't have been able to stop him from accepting Fuel's offer if he'd wanted it, would they? I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I thought after the summer tour, the 12th through 2nd place finishers were done. How does it really work?

He's under contract with 19 Entertainment, the Idol company. He was legally bound to tour and they had the rights to his next CD.

So, while it's "his" CD, they produced it and get a piece of the pie. They can give him as much freedom as they want, or as little. In his case, I'm sure they knew it was profitable (for everyone) to get him in a Nickelbacky band and get him touring.

He could refuse to do what they want, but then they either compromise or stonewall him and kill his career. Since he's under contract, nobody else would touch him. If he put out a CD with somebody else, 19 would sue them and get all the cash.

Sometimes, when artists get into a fight with their labels, they end up having to wait out a contract, releasing nothing for years. Fiona Apple famously went through a similar situation recently, where the label wouldn't release her CD and she would record a new one. So, she sat in her apartment for a couple years watching Columbo reruns.

They could have stopped Daughtry from joining up with Fuel, if they'd wanted to. (Well, they couldn't have *literally* stopped him, but they could've sued his pants off if he did.)

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: Actually, the latest report is that Mario was asked to leave for sexually harassing a member of the staff. I can post a link to it later. Hubby is hovering and wants the computer.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
Sanjaya slaughtered a perfectly good No Doubt song! ;_;

What really amazed me though was yesterday when the camera focused on the audience, and there was a person holding up a huge sign that read "Save Sanjaya Vote 4 my people". Am I interpreting this wrong, or was this a blatant plea for a racially-based vote? All these people voting for him because of that website, or race, or because they're a middle school girl with a crush, or whatever...they seem to forget that the point of american idol is for the winner to make a cd; do any of them actually plan to waste their money buying a Sanjaya cd?

And Sanjaya's hair was like one of those troll dolls...a troll doll that got a haircut from a six year old playing beauty salon. o.o

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree...that this vote for worst thing or save the worst singer stuff needs to go. There were better singers who have already left than Sanjaya... like Brandon who, yes, forgot his words but that's no reason to get rid of the guy.

Off the subject a bit...there are several artists out there that don't sing as well as others, but that's beyond the point.

Sanjaya has simply got to go..b/c if he does win, well you can bet it won't be a good thing.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing VFTW is doing is changing the order people leave in. It may have bumped Sanjaya from number 12 to maybe number 8.

While that bothers me because people with personality have left early, it really doesn't matter - the producers have the right to override all voting, or discount any votes sent via voting programs (which VFTW encourages). Ever wonder why AI never discloses the vote counts for each contestant?

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
He's under contract with 19 Entertainment, the Idol company. He was legally bound to tour and they had the rights to his next CD.

So, while it's "his" CD, they produced it and get a piece of the pie. They can give him as much freedom as they want, or as little. In his case, I'm sure they knew it was profitable (for everyone) to get him in a Nickelbacky band and get him touring.

He could refuse to do what they want, but then they either compromise or stonewall him and kill his career. Since he's under contract, nobody else would touch him. If he put out a CD with somebody else, 19 would sue them and get all the cash.

Sometimes, when artists get into a fight with their labels, they end up having to wait out a contract, releasing nothing for years. Fiona Apple famously went through a similar situation recently, where the label wouldn't release her CD and she would record a new one. So, she sat in her apartment for a couple years watching Columbo reruns.

They could have stopped Daughtry from joining up with Fuel, if they'd wanted to. (Well, they couldn't have *literally* stopped him, but they could've sued his pants off if he did.)
Thank you for explaining all that. I guess it shouldn't have surprised me to learn it... :)

The only thing VFTW is doing is changing the order people leave in. It may have bumped Sanjaya from number 12 to maybe number 8.
Here's hoping. He seems like a nice kid and I hope good things happen for him, but unfortunately he's out of his element here, and holding others back.

While that bothers me because people with personality have left early, it really doesn't matter - the producers have the right to override all voting, or discount any votes sent via voting programs (which VFTW encourages). Ever wonder why AI never discloses the vote counts for each contestant?
Yep. And they never will. I didn't know they could override the votes though. Another thing that shouldn't have surprised me. :e2smack:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:rant: anyone but Sanjaya. That's my new mantra.

I don't care who wins, as long as it is

ANYONE BUT SANJAYA!! :rant:

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
It's still a TV show. we're all writers here. When you set up a story what do you always need? A Protag. and an Antag. clearly the Idol people already have thier Antag...

:rant: anyone but Sanjaya. That's my new mantra.

I don't care who wins, as long as it is

ANYONE BUT SANJAYA!! :rant:

...and they are building a few protags as well.