PDA

View Full Version : Could Saturn be a manufactured planet?

dclary
03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
When I played Traveller back in the day, I was introduced to the concept of starships skimming gas giants for raw materials to feed fusion and fission drives.

It appears that Cassini has recently confirmed that the *hexagonal* shape that Voyager first observed on Saturn's north pole 26 years ago is still there.

A hexagon. Stationary and fixed on the opposite pole of a well-formed hurricane eye that sits on Saturn's south pole.

Could it be that there's a device of some sort implanted or built in deep atmosphere that helps generate and/or maintain Saturn's gaseous mass and that the rings were placed around the planet as a form of signpost or advertising? "Buy Gas from Nebuloco! Look for the ring!"

Speculation, of course, but isn't that what we're all about?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/strange-hexagon-seen-on-saturn/20070327163409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

PeeDee
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Well, it wasn't Slartibartfast, because there aren't any fjords or coastlines.

dclary
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
LOL. Good point.

Meerkat
03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
It would address one wholly unsatisfactory feature of the rings, if they were created by the pulverization of a moon: their uniformity. Thanks for this fascinating link Deek. I'm going to change my password now, from dclarysux to ||||||||

dclary
03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
FINALLY.

I am your Puumba.

ChunkyC
03-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Nah. Geometric shapes occur in nature all the time. Ireland's Giants Causeway (http://www.alamy.com/stock_photography/3/1/David+Lyons/AXN7RD.html) hexagonal basalt formations are one example. As for the uniformity of the rings, that's inevitable due to the gravitational forces at play. Anything not at the right balance point will either fly off into space or spiral down to the surface.

Now if that shape on Saturn turned out to be a door....

Mom'sWrite
03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
If it was manufactured there'd be a big "Virgin" sign on it.

blacbird
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I was not aware that virgins were manufactured.

caw

PeeDee
03-29-2007, 09:41 AM
You think they just appear naturally?

Silly.

Zoombie
03-29-2007, 09:49 AM
If that shape was a door, I think my head would explode and I'd spend a few minutes running in circles, shouting "WE'RE LIVING IN SCI-FI! WE'RE LIVING IN SCI-FI! WE'RE LIVING IN SCI-FI! WE'RE LIVING IN SCI-FI!" until I realized that I had no more head, then I'd fall over and die deader then being dead.

But, unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that planets normally look like planets because they're...planets and not gigantic galactic gas pumps. You don't need an artificial Jovian to get fuel from...you just need a Jovian.

blacbird
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Uhh . . . actually . . . I wouldn't know.

caw

PeeDee
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Me neither.

Moving on....!

Of all possible planets in the Solar System to be artificially created, Earth makes the most sense out of all them. Maybe Mars was the prototype model, and when they finished ironing out the bugs, they shut it down and went "live" with the Earth model.

KTC
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
That hexagonal shape is actually the very first Starbucks.

Jamesaritchie
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Silly.

From my experience, they don't occur at all.

Mom'sWrite
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I was not aware that virgins were manufactured.

caw

Richard Branson makes all known Virgins. Apparently, they are quite profitable.

MidnightMuse
03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
The hexagon "bolt" shape is only impressive if we find a "wrench" in Jupiter's gasses.

I'll be impressed when they do find a Starbucks out there.

Nangleator
03-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Maybe Mars was the prototype model, and when they finished ironing out the bugs, they shut it down and went "live" with the Earth model.
I'd just like to know what the poor people on Venus did to piss off the builders.

ChunkyC
03-30-2007, 12:55 AM
The hexagon "bolt" shape is only impressive if we find a "wrench" in Jupiter's gasses.
:roll: a great big allen key floating at a lagrange point....

Ordinary_Guy
03-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Interestingly, this is not new news. We've known it was there for at least 20 years.

Hexagons occur all the time in nature, but one on this scale is new (you could fit 4 earths in that shape). From what I remember, the natural hexagons usually occur in solids - so an ongoing process maintaining that shape in a gas is fairly novel. I'd guess a high probability that process is natural rather than artificial, but either way, it's pretty cool. Something spectacular to shake up our jaded view...

ChunkyC
03-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Some confluence of flow patterns generated from different sources, perhaps? Like an upflow at the pole interacting with the latitudinal flow imparted by the planet's rotation.

But what would cause an upflow at the pole? A tailpipe? ;)

Nangleator
03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Saturn rotates pretty quickly, which makes the north pole position slightly more understandable, in some vague sciencey way. The hexagonal shape suggests crystalization to me, or maybe some weird magnetic field influence.

Joe270
04-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe the hexagon is a hatch. Maybe we can blow it open with some highly unstable dynamite (read: dyna-meetay).

They are watching us.

Damned mice.

TSByrne
04-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Jesus christ you guys, it's obviously the stargate that the moon sentinel monolith will activate. I mean duh, be realistic.

My god, it's full of stars and all that...