I'mma be an editir! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I'm vice-president of the English Studies Undergrad Association of my University. I came up with this idea of creating an anthology of stories by students from our program that we would self-pub at the end of the year. I'm gonna be in charge of the whole deal but I need some info before we make it official and announce it.
The authors would retain all the rights to their stories if they want to publish elsewhere later. I mainly need to know if I should have them sign contracts so that they can't just call me up and say "my editor says it's a bad idea to have my story in the anthology, I forbid you to sell anymore of them" or something like that. If I should have them sign contracts, how do I go about getting the text for them? The association doesn't have any money so we'd have a hard time paying for a lawyer >.<

Any more info for a wannabe editor? :) This Anthology would mainly be for the students in the program but we're hoping to sell a few to the rest of the campus population and raise a bit of money for the association which would be in the best interest of "our kids".

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you should have them sign contracts. "The authors would retain all the rights to their stories if they want to publish elsewhere later" isn't quite true: you'll have to buy (for $ or not) at least first local print rights. You'll want to specify what right(s) you're buying and for how long.

I've not got a contract for an anthology myself to use as a template, but no doubt bunches of people on this forum will have one and will provide you with some specifics.

And when you publish the anthology, it'd probably be worthwhile to take some copies into your local bookstores and ask them to stock the book. It can't hurt, anyhow, and it might boost sales.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . if I should have them sign contracts . . .
Good will and signed agreements spelling out what the deal is should do the trick. Your university might have a lawyer you could chat with for a few minutes, look over the agreement form, that sort of thing.

It could be a very nice fundraiser. In exchange for some PR, a local printer might give you a good price on producing the books. Perhaps other local businesses would also underwrite in exchange for a small ad in the back or other promotional consideration. Seems to me that such used to be standard practice for yearbooks. Just a thought.

--Ken

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like solid advice. I hadn't thought of the first print rights. As for the printing itself, I had though using Lulu.com or a similar POD service, of course, we would have to buy a certain number of books from them out of pocket to sell in person which is annoying. I thought maybe getting the University to sponsor us some :D

Are there any ressources, internet or otherwise that you think would help?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion? Two-column format, single-spaced, on letter-size paper, printed front and back, and stapled on the left.

By definition, this collection will be made up of stories that aren't good enough to get placed elsewhere. Given the quality of some of the stories I've seen elsewhere, the implied level of quality isn't high.

Student writers shouldn't be publishing embarrassing anthologies of amateur writing. They should be working on getting better. If any of them have a piece that's worth reading, they should send it to a better market right now.

Last edited:

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
My suggestion? Two-column format, single-spaced, on letter-size paper, printed front and back, and stapled on the left.

By definition, this collection will be made up of stories that aren't good enough to get placed elsewhere. Given the quality of some of the stories I've seen elsewhere, the implied level of quality isn't high.

Student writers shouldn't be publishing embarrassing anthologies of amateur writing. They should be working on getting better. If any of them have a piece that's worth reading, they should send it to a better market right now.

I think you missed the point.

This Anthology would mainly be for the students in the program but we're hoping to sell a few to the rest of the campus population and raise a bit of money for the association which would be in the best interest of "our kids".

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score

As far as I know, no one in the program has even tried to get published before :D I've read the stories by some of them they presented in a creative writing class, they are surprisingly good actually. Which is why I even suggested the idea to the other members of the student council. I would never suggest it if I thought we'd only make fools of ourselves. Granted, a lot of the submissions will be unpublishable otherwise (mainly by lack of work IMO) but the point is to make something fun that people will look back on fondly. My hope is that it becomes a yearly thing as well.

Like a yearbook...but artsy.

I just don't want it to become a bitter experience because I didn't do things right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.