Do you need silence when you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Argh.

I've been sitting in front of my computer since I got home from work, and I've mnaged to tap out only a couple of rather dreary paragraphs. Upstairs, my partner is rambling around and whistling and slamming the back door every five minutes as he goes to and from the barbeque. Pots and pans are being banged about, and cupboard doors are being enthusiatically slammed shut. The television is blaring out a sporting event of some kind. And I hate to complain because he's having such a nice time up there, but I can't work. Even with earplugs.

Argh.

I know there are writers who can work under any conditions, but it appears I'm not one of them.

Which are you? Someone who can write with a jackhammer being operated five feet away, or do you need quiet?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has to be quiet for me.

I have a kid - it's rarely quiet. That's what gives me such a hard time. Quiet - or seriously on a rant. Either one works. ;)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I find it easier to write while listening to music.... It sort of motivates me if that makes sense. Sometimes though, I need a bit of silence to write but it works well this way.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like music while I write, but prefer not to have banging & slamming or the pounding of the neighbors' laundry machines going out of whack (I've left the apartment because of that). No visual stimuli helps me more than no auditory stimuli. I'm more likely to hit the zone in the dark with music than I am in silence while stuff is happening around me.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Nah, I don't care. Music, people, crowds. I used to write on the friggin' Greyhound bus, and in bus stations. When I'm focused, I can just tune it out.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I write epic fantasy romance. Jackhammers would definitly be a hindrance when I need to cross realms, as do my 'moderns' into ancient Alba...or the cities leagues below land dwellers.
May I suggest music--an MP3 player? On the weekends, when the kids & their dad are annhilating one another on Halo, good headphones plugged into computer or MP3 with appropriate music (Pan's Labrynth soundtrack, Loreena McKennitt (any), LOTR soundtrack....you get the gist), I turn it up, and can't hear life outside of the current realm I'm needing to submerse in. This helps during the week, to set the mood as well, though I don't have to worry about headphones, as it's just me during the day, and I presently live in a remote village in Germany.
If not, find crazy guy with magical remote, and pause life outside yer' window until you get that chapter out!

kb

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer background noise when I write, not usually music though. TV or something.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer peace and quiet so that my train of thought doesn't get derailed. I can tune out, too, but my family can't. They're very persistent and apparently unaware that just because I'm not typing, doesn't mean I'm not thinking--thus working.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I really envy people who can tune out the rest of the world. I have a hard time doing that at my day job, too.

Anyway, somehow I managed to finish 600 words. I was trying to see if I could work "Shut the ^&*#$^*# up!" into the scene I was writing, but it didn't quite fit.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Let me put in an addendum here...It's hard for me to tune out the rest of the world...that's why I put on the headphones and listen to music :) If i'm watching TV forget writing... I might squeeze out a few hundred words...

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I have to have silence, but I got used to using earplugs, which helps a lot.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need noise of some sort. Total silence distracts me. At home I usually listen to music; when out and about, ambient conversation works just as well.

Croque Madame

Registered
Reaction score
I don't need complete silence, I can deal with background noise to a certain degree. I draw the line at jackhammers! But I've found certain music (classical, stuff like Loreena McKennit or Enya) really helps tune out irritating background noise. Can I say, I love my iPod?

The one thing I cannot stand is being interrupted. My one roommate just doesn't get it, and is always interrupting me, wanting to tell me the latest joke she got in her email or something.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
To give credit where it is due, if my partner does actually want to interrupt me, he does it by creeping into my study with a raised finger and arched eyebrows, and doesn't speak until I notice him, so he intrudes very quietly. While I appreciate that, there is unfortunately all of the other noise that preceeds the quiet entry to consider.

Ah, well, he was having fun and I did manage to bang out two pages, so all is not lost. I must invest in one of those new fangled little music thingies, though.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Do I need silence? No.
Do I CRAVE silence? Yes.

I sometimes have to drown out ambient voices with lyricless music, but the quieter the better. I didn't really get anything done today because I was trying to write an important death scene and all the while there were TV ads blaring and people singing about coconuts and trying to converse with me about things like shopping and school and I just about lost it. But I didn't. Now I'm just really pissed that I didn't get anything done.

I'm SO jealous of people who have their own home offices.

Braydie

Registered
Reaction score
One day/time/mood:

No matter what's going on around me, I can just sit down and write. :hooray:

Different day/time/mood:

No matter what's going on around me, I can't just sit down and write. :cry:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Silence

I love isolation, solitude, and silence, but I can write equally well with noise all around me. Doesn't matter one way or the other.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer either silence or the gentle hum of my hard drive. I don't like writing with music. But, if I'm focused, I can handle the general noise of the other people in my house, as long as they're not talking directly to me, or fighting, or whining.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I need silence for my work writing, but for fiction, music usually helps me block out the annoying noise and concentrate. There does come a point at which the neighbors' racket is too much, but generally I can manage.

Reaction score
I prefer quiet, but don't need absolute silence.

White noise is okay, and by that I mean the hum of conversation in the background, say in a cafe or somewhere else in public.

But if it's music, I tend to sing along and get distracted. Also I don't like hearing specific conversation. That's good for when I'm people-watching, but not when I'm trying to write.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to write with music on but I've gotten used to writing at work. Phones ringing, people talking, television on, radios blaring at me. Nothing phases me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.