Status
Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
OK, so I know we have the Cult of Moore floating around here, and far be it from me to question his greatness, but...

...well...

...in this case, I have to question his editing.

It seems to me that it's a little flabby in places. I find it strange, because usually you can read his stuff and you can't really think where something might have been better left out. (I'm talking specifically about the comics and their structure, not the movie adaptions which NEED to make cuts and pare it down tot he plot bones - and consequently loose a lot of the nuance.)

If you assume my hypothesis for a moment, is it because he's trying to work a plot around real events?

There are also aspects that come off as a little contrived. Same reason?

I know he did a boat-load of research for the project and formed his own theories as to the actual facts of the case (aside from the delusional/mystical elements), but some of it comes off like he just didn't know where to stop... so he didn't.

I'll get my flame-retardant suit out now.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
*charges flamethrower*

I haven't read From Hell in a couple of years, so I may not be the right one to comment, but...

of course I don't agree.

To be honest, I think it's one of those "Do you like the extended edition of The Stand better or the edited version" types of questions; it's a matter of personal taste.

A couple of things occur to me. I think so many things about the period fascinated Moore (and still do, it seems) and he wanted to fit them all in. I think he was trying to make a statement about coincidence and how our actions reverberate in society as a whole, or how evil takes root without us noticing if we aren't vigilant, and about how power corrupts. So in a way the story of Jack the Ripper was a story about an entire society at that time, and he wanted us to see that. It was more than just some hookers being butchered, but at the same time that's all it was. If that makes any sense.

When I think back to stuff that could have been left out, though, the only thing that really jumps out at me at all was the Hitler conception thing, which again, I think was just a fascinating tidbit and also fit the larger theme.

Reaction score
My judgement on this goes solely by the film. I apologise for this fact!

I wonder if those who have read the graphic novel and seen the film could tell me - does the film stick closely to the book?

Because if so, I must take issue with some 'facts' about the case.

My dad is something of a Ripperologist and I was brought up surrounded by his true crime books - none of which were ever forbidden to me. So now I'm hooked on Ripperology. (Trust me, that's a proper word). And my dad and me agree that the film was 99% fiction, nothing to do with the case at all.

I'd be very disappointed to discover the novel was the same. Of course, films are made to entertain but us 'fans of Jack' are quite precious when it comes to sullying his good name...*ahem*

You know what I mean. ;)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS **

Spoiler thing as a courtesy. I woulda thought if you read beyond the initial post, you've read of seen the movie.

I got the subtext. The whole lower classes trying to make a living and being deemed unworthy, while the more acceptable society are the ones who commit the true crimes in the story. That Gull comes from the lower classes to become as high as he does, only to fall again. Get it all.

I'm thinking that it just could have been done so much tighter. It feels a little self indulgent. And I don't say that as a slam on Moore. I think we ALL do that. But that's why we have Editors. Even if he brought the project to the publisher as is, they still have an editorial panel, surely?

The whole Lees part, came off like a contrivance. It's a convenient plot device.

And Pruitt. He comes off like one of those things that Moore wanted to include and forgot about, then remembered and did, just so he could give the epilog a bit of gravitas.

The internal politics of the police and beyond could have been cut.

Sickert seemed such a pivotal character and then just gets dropped. He knows what's happened, we see he feels guilt/remorse/something, but then he's gone.

And Abberline's connection to Kelly came off as a tease. Oh I know there was an element of happenstance about it, mirrored by the part of who dies. But given Moore obviously works in a fantastic element to the whole thing, making this a piece of fiction, it's just left hanging.

Maybe I was spoiled by his straight fiction. Maybe real life pales in comparison to his plotting. I was just disappointed.

And just to add fuel to the flamethrowers, the art didn't work for me either. I liked the art, I just thought it was wrong for Moore. He usually has character heavy work, and all the ladies-of-the-night looked alike, and the gentlement looked a like, so it made it difficult at times to work out exactly what was going on with who. Now I could see a creative reason to do this, to point out that all invloved were the same, no different, no better, no worse, but ultimately it didn't work for me.

And the real folk cameos came off as lily-gilding. Though I can see why he did this, but on top of everything else, I was less willing to cut him some slack.

If I hadn't read some of his other stuff, and knew what he could do, I wouldn't be inclined to pick up his stuff again, and I'd wonder what all the fuss was about. I think he uses his research and reference material much better in other works I've read.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Hmmm. Like I said, I need to reread to have an opinion everything you're talking about. I don't remember some of it.

I can say, though, that the internal police stuff was pretty pivotal. Not only did it tie in to Moore's theory, but police squabbles are responsible for one of the big Lost Pieces of evidence--"The Juwes are the men who will not be blamed for nothing".

Did it say "Juwes" or "Jews"? Did it say "will not be blamed for nothing" or "will be blamed for nothing"? Did the Ripper write it, and if so, what did his handwriting look like? Could we have matched it to the "From Hell" letter?

We'll never know, because no photograph was taken, thanks to internal police squabbles and jurusdictional arguments.

When I did Rumbelow's Ripper walk, he focused heavily on the internal police stuff, too.

*adds From Hell to the re-read list, as soon as I've finished rereading the entire Sandman.*

Reaction score
...police squabbles are responsible for one of the big Lost Pieces of evidence--"The Juwes are the men who will not be blamed for nothing"...

Actually that was down to Sir Charles Warren claiming he feared an uprising against the Jews.

PC Alfred Long said it read, "The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing," while conceding it might have been spelled 'Juwes'.

At the inquest, though, Detective Daniel Halse said it read, "The Juwes are not the men who will be blamed for nothing." Long insisted otherwise but admitted it might have read 'Juwes' for 'Jews'.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
And in Masonic lore, the "Juwes" are known as Jublai, Jubelo and Jubelum...the assassins of the architect of Solomon's temple.

To me, From Hell (both the graphic novel and the movie version) was rather a less entertaining version of Bob Clark's film, Murder By Decree.

From Hell was basically the same plot since both were drawn from the same sources...but at least Murder By Decree featured great performances by Christopher Plummer and James Mason...in his last role.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I just started wading through the appendix section of the collection.

Certainly did his research. But that only seems to prove that he had lots to cram in.

And like Axler says, the plot really isn't anything new (which again, I think I have to admit being a little disappointed with considering the source). And this one lacked Sherlock Holmes using a scarf as a blunt-force-trauma-inducing weapon!

See, Axler and I can agree. :D

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I imagine we agree on far more things than not.

But, yeah...although I appreciated From Hell, I didn't find anything new there...in fact, the last scene in the movie version was essentially the same as that in Murder By Decree.

Also...wasn't there a Jack the Ripper TV movie or mini-series a decade or so ago with Michael Caine as Abberline chasing down and nearly executing William Gull?

Reaction score
I have that on video. Utter crap, the theories involved, but good for an evening in with a tube of pringles and a few beers. :D

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Oh, yeah...forgot about that one. That was good.

My all-time favorite is Star Trek's Wolf In The Fold...the scene with the mood-elevated Ripper making giggling threats "Diediedie, kill you all, make you suffer" while a grim-faced Kirk marches him down a corridor in a fireman's carry has got to be one of the most bizarre images in TV history.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think that yes, it dragged in some places, but was doing so for a certain type of effect that I've seen in a few books. It's the long and winding sort of novel (and I do think of From Hell as a novel more than anything else).

I think I trust Alan Moore as a writer enough that when I read something of his that seems to be sloppily flapping in the wind because he didn't know when to stop, I trust that he's telling me this for a reason. I may not get the reason, and if I do get it, I may not agree, but it has a purpose. Like Gene Wolfe, he doesn't do things on accident.

The film had Johnny Depp and Ian Holme and Robbie Coltrane in it. That was where the good bits ended.....

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Actually that was down to Sir Charles Warren claiming he feared an uprising against the Jews.

According to Sugden, it's down to Superintendent Thomas Arnold, who originally orered it destroyed. And the implication in Moore is that it was erased because it implicated Gull. Which makes the erasure related to the politics portrayed in From Hell.

(Personally, I believe it might not have been erased so quickly if not for the pissing contest between the City and the Yard. But as that's not part of the theory in FH...)

PC Alfred Long said it read, "The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing," while conceding it might have been spelled 'Juwes'.

At the inquest, though, Detective Daniel Halse said it read, "The Juwes are not the men who will be blamed for nothing." Long insisted otherwise but admitted it might have read 'Juwes' for 'Jews'.

I'm sorry, didn't I say we'll never know know exactly what it said? I thought I did...but thanks for setting me straight there.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Oh, yeah...forgot about that one. That was good.

My all-time favorite is Star Trek's Wolf In The Fold...the scene with the mood-elevated Ripper making giggling threats "Diediedie, kill you all, make you suffer" while a grim-faced Kirk marches him down a corridor in a fireman's carry has got to be one of the most bizarre images in TV history.

Was that the episode where Jack was an entity called 'Rejeck' or some such?

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Just finished reading Appendix II.

THAT was more like the Moore I know. Even showed glimpses of the old, old, old Moore and his "DR & Quinch" days.

What I did find interesting, and again, this is just what I brought from this part, was that he seems to admit that "ripperology" is like some infectious brain disorder. When you dip in, it starts to consume you in it's own twisted, self-sustaining logic and lies.

The chaos-theory analogy seems very apt. A shape with an infinite bounding edge and a finite area. You can keep going and going and going, and the truth is maybe in there, but you'll never find it.

Maybe the truth is, as he suggests, less important than the mirror it holds up to the person/society looking on. The horrors of the acts reveal the dark-side we would rather ignore in our current world. And maybe that does loose that evil through time.

I'm gonna choose to take the Appendix II as a literary apologia. Yes, I was sucked in for a while, lost in the insanity, but look, I'm all better now. It restores my faith.

A faith which is clearly not as strong as PeeDee's! :D

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The Babylon 5 episode with JTR was pretty interesting too.

Comes the Inquisitor was a powerful episode. I loved that. Wayne Alexander is a deeply creepy actor, even when he's not playing Lorien. Neither my wife and I realized it was him until toward the very end, when he just starts talking....thirty seconds before he says "Known only...as Jack." Both my wife and I went "oh...shit."

From Hell aside, that was probably my favorite Jack the Ripper usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.