PDA

View Full Version : Mom Writer's Publishing Kudo for a recipe/poem

JAlpha
03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
No news on the progress of landing an agent for my novel. I am deep into my 12 week novel revision class, which is not quite turning out the way I had hoped. I am the only one in the class of eight who actually has a finished novel. Go figure :Shrug: But, I'm making the best of it, and I am fixing the pacing problems I had with my novel, so all is not lost.

In the meantime, I got a rather unique poetry kudo this week. A while back, I turned a recipe into a poem and posted it in the AW poetry forum, and raised a few eyebrows . . . a recipe as a poem? Yeah! A recipe as a poem, and the tricky part was finding the right market.

I got lucky and the poem was chosen for publication by the first lit mag I sent it to Mom Writer's http://www.momwriterslitmag.com/Poem9.htm. They are only two year's old and have made quite a success of their venture. Mom Writer's will be switching over to a print format for their summer issue.

I know there are a lot of AW mom writer's so please do check out this market. I read things on this forum all the time that I know would be a very good fit for Mom Writer's.

Pat~
03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Congratulations, J, and thanks for the tip! :)

Rich
03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
There once was a ravishing dish...

Kudos, JAlpha. I can see how it would enhance a reader's appetite.

JAlpha
03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Thank you Rich and Pat, for the "atta girl" pat on the back :)

One thing I didn't mention about the poem, is that in addition to being a recipe, it is also a concrete poem, meaning it has an intended visual element in the way it is formatted. I'm just not sure the format is as strong on the computer screen as it is on a printed page. The shape of the poem is supposed to be suggestive of a spectral-like, matronly figure of a woman with open arms.

Pat~
03-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I love poems like that, Janet. Reminds me of George Herbert's "Wings." I read your poem, and loved it. I felt like I was in the kitchen!

BTW, I just emailed them 2 haiku (never submitted haiku before today), so fingers crossed. I don't have much "mom" material written other than those two poems, but it's a market to keep in mind. :)

Saundra Julian
03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Congratulations, Janet!

JAlpha
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I love poems like that, Janet. Reminds me of George Herbert's "Wings." I read your poem, and loved it. I felt like I was in the kitchen!

BTW, I just emailed them 2 haiku (never submitted haiku before today), so fingers crossed. I don't have much "mom" material written other than those two poems, but it's a market to keep in mind. :)

Be still my glad heart :e2heartbe

You just mailed them two haiku :hooray:

You're making me weep :cry:

Seriously, Pat, that is terrific, and I want to be the first to know when they accept them :Clap:

Rich
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Good for Pat. JAlpha, I once got a rejection on a series of haiku and the editor, in part of his note, asked, "is it haiku or haikus?" This Esquire senior editor, about two years ago was showing up on on a lot of New York TV. The reason: he had just read the entire encyclopedia Brittanica. He should've known--unless he skipped H.

I decided on the plural for haiku to be haiku. I figure that the Japanese language doesn't use an 's" or even an 'a' for plural id.

Nobody's questioned me yet, and I've published 35 of them.

JAlpha
03-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Good for Pat. JAlpha, I once got a rejection on a series of haiku and the editor, in part of his note, asked, "is it haiku or haikus?" This Esquire senior editor, about two years ago was showing up on on a lot of New York TV. The reason: he had just read the entire encyclopedia Britannica. He should've known--unless he skipped H.

I decided on the plural for haiku to be haiku. I figure that the Japanese language doesn't use an 's" or even an 'a' for plural id.

Nobody's questioned me yet, and I've published 35 of them.

Thank you, Rich. I was wondering about whether or not it was haiku or haikus when I was typing that, but I was about to run a few errands. I would have forgotten to check if you hadn't mentioned it. And your source was certainly reliable, and the plural listed in Merriam Webster's 11th Collegiate is also haiku. My bad :D

Rich
03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
My guess.

Pat~
03-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Be still my glad heart :e2heartbe

You just mailed them two haiku :hooray:

You're making me weep :cry:

Seriously, Pat, that is terrific, and I want to be the first to know when they accept them :Clap:

Lol, you will be...(if)...

JAlpha
03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Lol, you will be...(if)...

Well OK, if you must go to the "if" place, then let's have a plan b ready :D .

Literary Mama http://www.literarymama.com/ is also a wonderful market for mom writer pieces.

Susie
03-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Congrats, Janet and sure hope your book sells!