PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Guess what's back on Saturday!

Go on, guess

maestrowork
03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
A League of Gentlemen?

dpaterso
03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
They're spamming us with ads for Doctor Who. I'm guessing maybe... Doctor Who?

Ray's reply scrambled a few of my neurons.

-Derek

maestrowork
03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Benny Hill!

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
A League of Gentlemen?God, lets hope not.

I'm guessing maybe... Doctor Who?
Yes!
Indeedy!
Who's excited?

Benny Hill!Grrrrrr

scarletpeaches
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I was hoping Rome, but it's Dr Who.

Mmm...Tennant...:kiss:

maestrowork
03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
You Brits are kinda sad... ;)

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
I was hoping RomeBlech. Not a fan.

scarletpeaches
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
You Brits are kinda sad... ;)

We'd be a lot happier if you auditioned to be the next Time Lord. :D

dpaterso
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
That ugly brute Purefoy aside, "Blech" and Rome don't really belong in the same post. It's a fine interpretation with some great performances.

-Derek

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
That ugly brute Purefoy aside, "Blech" and Rome don't really belong in the same post. It's a fine interpretation with some great performances.

-DerekI only saw the very first episode, but it didn't appeal to me.

jvc
03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I havent watched the BBC1 or 2 much the last few weeks and so I missed all the adverts. About the only thing I have watched on the BBC is Dragons Den come to think of it.

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I havent watched the BBC1 or 2 much the last few weeks and so I missed all the adverts.Me too. But the voice in the radio told me.

MidnightMuse
03-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I like Spooks, myself. But they call it MI-5 over here, and we get it nearly a year late. :Shrug:

Bmwhtly
03-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I like Spooks, myself. But they call it MI-5 over here, and we get it nearly a year late. :Shrug:And 15minutes shorter.

I Loved the first two seasons, but I don't think the new guy is nearly as good as Matthew whats-his-name. Plus the writing went a little hollywood.

jvc
03-27-2007, 07:54 PM
And 15minutes shorter.

I Loved the first two seasons, but I don't think the new guy is nearly as good as Matthew whats-his-name. Plus the writing went a little hollywood.

I actually like the first couple of episodes of season 4 of spooks. The problem with the latter half of that season was that all the episodes had similar stories.

dpaterso
03-27-2007, 07:55 PM
(ROME) I only saw the very first episode, but it didn't appeal to me.
Shame, but we're each entitled to our own tastes by law. :)

(SPOOKS) I Loved the first two seasons, but I don't think the new guy is nearly as good as Matthew whats-his-name. Plus the writing went a little hollywood.
Yeah, a bad case of New Blood Syndrome, with the replacements unfortunately not quite as charismatic as the originals. The writing, I didn't think it was bad as such, but it kinda lost its Spooks vibe. Anyways, spilt milk...

-Derek

MidnightMuse
03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
And 15minutes shorter.

I have to agree with you there. The writing and acting was better in seasons 1 & 2 (but the new guy is prettier :D )

scarletpeaches
03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Rupert Penry-Jones. He's Dervla Kirwan's other half.

Bmwhtly
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
2 Hours to go...

scarletpeaches
03-31-2007, 10:11 PM
I heart The Tennant.

Bmwhtly
03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I heart the TennantAnd Martha's pretty pretty. :)

scarletpeaches
03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Not my type, owing to the fact she's a gurl, but...we'll kidnap them both and split the proceeds! ;)

Penguin Queen
04-01-2007, 02:12 AM
I woudlnt mind either of them. Or indeed, both. :tongue

Evaine
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, it was fun! I think Martha is going to be a good Companion.

Penguin Queen
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Martha's very cool. And feisty. And cute.

Long may the two of them continue, but I'd love the next Dr Who to be a woman.

How long do we think until there's a female Doctor?

Bmwhtly
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Can you Believe that they're bumping Dr Who this week to show Eurovision instead?
I mean, does anyone actually watch Eurovision? And even if you normally do, have you heard our entry?

The world makes a little less sense.

jvc
05-11-2007, 01:26 AM
I couldn't believe my ears when, at the end of last weeks episode, they told us no Doctor Who for two weeks.

We havna got a chance in the eurovision contest, and frankly who'd care even if we did? I wanna watch the Doctor, not a bunch of losers led by that plank, Terry Wogan.

Evaine
05-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think the Doctor should be female - he's been male in 10 out of his 12 regenerations, after all.
I'd like to see Romana back though - I'm sure there was a loophole in the original series in which she could have survived the Time War (by being in E-Space, I think).

zahra
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
The Doctor's gonna fall in love with another woman in the next episode...Poor Martha! And it's that highly irritating Jessica Stevenson, from Spaced, etc. How could he?

Calla Lily
05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
:rant: I am so So SO jealous!

I emailed BBC, BBC America, CBC in Canada and the SciFi channel in the States--no one will give a date for the US or Canada broadcasts.

Augh!

:Headbang:

Bmwhtly
05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
:rant: I am so So SO jealous!

I emailed BBC, BBC America, CBC in Canada and the SciFi channel in the States--no one will give a date for the US or Canada broadcasts.

Augh!

:Headbang:
Can I gloat a little?
Please? Just a little?

jvc
05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Go ahead Ben, I was wanting to do just that as it makes a change for us to get a television series first.

jvc
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I did think the episode last week (I won't give away any spoilers) was very similar to one of the previous episodes (can't remember the name of it though, will have to do some digging).

scarletpeaches
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
The Doctor's gonna fall in love with another woman in the next episode...Poor Martha! And it's that highly irritating Jessica Stevenson, from Spaced, etc. How could he?

Uh...because he hasn't met me yet? Duh, obvious. Trouble is he's in Cardiff for nine months of the year and hardly ever back up here where he belongs.

jvc
05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
The BBC seems to like Cardiff at the moment (don't know why). The spin off series, Torchwood, is very similar to a tourist information film.

scarletpeaches
05-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Cardiff's cheaper than London.

Bmwhtly
05-23-2007, 07:43 PM
And isn't it done by BBC Wales?

jvc
05-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm waiting for the episode where all the sheep get taken over by aliens and start ramaging through the Cardiff devouring whoever they find.

Calla Lily
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Can I gloat a little?
Please? Just a little?

And jvc said: Go ahead Ben, I was wanting to do just that as it makes a change for us to get a television series first.

:e2tongue: :e2tomato: :e2moon:

(going to pop in a Tom Baker DVD to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms now)

scarletpeaches
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I hate you Butler!

davids
05-23-2007, 07:54 PM
On the Buses-I do miss Sid

The Two Ronnies

Carpathian Street

Danny La Rue does Pittsburgh in Red Pumps and a flannel night gown?

Harry Secombe as we knew and loved him?

Malcolm Muggaridge and the pit of doom?

Malcolm Muggeridge the conversion tapes?

jvc
05-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Some people don't play fair.

zahra
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
And isn't it done by BBC Wales?
It's because the writer/producer Russell Davies is Welsh, and has enough clout to decide where and when. And the cheapness is a factor.

When I'm a writer/producer, I shall insist everything is made in Chiswick.

Bmwhtly
05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I heard a rumour about the Doctor and his Martha.

The word on the street (ok, on the radio) is that Mr Tennant will be staying on for another series, but Ms Martha won't be.
The voice in the radio did stress that this was unconfirmed but I thought I'd tell you anywho.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Well that makes sense, 'cause I'm the only woman who could ever make The Tennant happy.

zahra
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Well that makes sense, 'cause I'm the only woman who could ever make The Tennant happy.

He isn't supposed to be happy.

Evaine
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Which makes the trailer for next week's episode quite worrying - will he settle down to married bliss, or go back to the Tardis?

zahra
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
He'll get back on that bloody Tardis and keep travelling, if he knows what's good for him! The series is not called, 'To Serve Them All My Days', or 'Good-Bye Mr Chips.' How dare he get married!

Actually, Jessica Stevenson (or whatever she calls herself now) was not nearly as annoying as normal; she played a blinder in the Matron role. I think I just hate her when she's being 'ditzy middle-class girlie'.

Fantastic episode, wasn't it? I think Dr Who's at its best when it leans on history for its impetus. The shadow of WW1, the social framework...all done brilliantly. Can't wait for the 2nd part.

Evaine
06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow! Part two was good!
And dark. I was reminded of the line from the School Reunion episode (where Sarah Jane returns) where the Doctor says "I used to have so much mercy." The contrast between John Smith and the Doctor was very well done, too, and I thought the kid was brilliant.

zahra
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Just saw the 2nd part of the Dr Who that finished last w'end. Genius stuff. Take a bow, Paul Cornell, writer. And what a blinder from the Tennant. When he said, 'Why can't I stay?', there wasn't a dry eye in...er...my head. Bet Billie wishes she'd stayed just for that episode.

And Freema isn't leaving. Russell says that's nonsense. Phew.

Calla Lily
06-05-2007, 10:29 PM
AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH! :Headbang:

I can't even see the blasted Christmas episode till sometime in JULY!

Go ahead. Kick a gal when she's down. >waaaahhh<

zahra
06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH! :Headbang:

I can't even see the blasted Christmas episode till sometime in JULY!

Go ahead. Kick a gal when she's down. >waaaahhh<

There, there. All good things come to those who wait. (Though I didn't reckon the Xmas epi that much, to be honest.):D

Calla Lily
06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
There, there. All good things come to those who wait. (Though I didn't reckon the Xmas epi that much, to be honest.):D

But [rages in impotent envy] you've been seeing the new episodes for months and all we get is the occasional crumb of a rerun.

It's SO not faaaaiiiir... :e2cry:

zahra
06-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I can't bear to see a soul in such torment. Sigh...Do you want to come and live at my house? You can watch the rest of the series, and the re-runs, and buy the DVDs when they come out.

Just don't drink my gin.

Calla Lily
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I can't bear to see a soul in such torment. Sigh...Do you want to come and live at my house? You can watch the rest of the series, and the re-runs, and buy the DVDs when they come out.

Just don't drink my gin.

I'm a good cook, too, and I clean windows. [sits up and gives puppy-dog eyes]

Sigh... my husband and kids would probably object. Claim I have responsibilities or something equally grown-up and boring. But thank you. You understand the cravings and the withdrawal.

[starts marking off the days till the US premiere]

zahra
06-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm a good cook, too, and I clean windows. [sits up and gives puppy-dog eyes]

Sigh... my husband and kids would probably object. Claim I have responsibilities or something equally grown-up and boring. But thank you. You understand the cravings and the withdrawal.

[starts marking off the days till the US premiere]

Next episode looks pretty damn good...I think your children will probably understand, when they're older...About the hubby I can't promise, men being the unreasonable creatures they are.

(Isn't there a law in the US against luring away someone's spouse? Even if it's for good TV? Oops!)

CACTUSWENDY
06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
;) and here I was hoping for A F...oh well......

Calla Lily
06-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Next episode looks pretty damn good...I think your children will probably understand, when they're older...About the hubby I can't promise, men being the unreasonable creatures they are.

(Isn't there a law in the US against luring away someone's spouse? Even if it's for good TV? Oops!)

Probably.

Tough being a grown-up. :tongue

Bmwhtly
06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
(Though I didn't reckon the Xmas epi that much, to be honest.):DMe Neither. Mayhaps just because I don't particularly like Catherine Tate.

jvc
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I think the christmas episode was bad, and yes it may have had something to do with Catherine Tate. The writing in the current season seems to be much better than in previous ones and the acting from the current doctor has been outstanding.

ALLWritety
06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi

You guys are whine coz you have to wait or this episdoe was naff. C'mon guys get a grip. I live out in Taiwan where they have not even heard of Dr. Who let alone show it. My friend got me some Dr Who DVD's (going back a bit when Piper first appered!!) however he left them in KOREA with a friend to post to me. HAS HE???? NO!!!
SO I still don't get to see Dr Who and who know when will.

So just be thankful you all can get to see them at all.

Kev.

zahra
06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi

You guys are whine coz you have to wait or this episdoe was naff. C'mon guys get a grip. I live out in Taiwan where they have not even heard of Dr. Who let alone show it. My friend got me some Dr Who DVD's (going back a bit when Piper first appered!!) however he left them in KOREA with a friend to post to me. HAS HE???? NO!!!
SO I still don't get to see Dr Who and who know when will.

So just be thankful you all can get to see them at all.

Kev.

You'll have done something very bad in a past life. That'll be it.

Calla Lily
06-18-2007, 03:00 AM
:hooray: Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

8 pm on CBC! I LOVE living 20 mins from the Canadian border.

:PartySmil

Christmas movie AND first episode. Wah-hoo!

Life is good...

zahra
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
:hooray: Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

8 pm on CBC! I LOVE living 20 mins from the Canadian border.

:PartySmil

Christmas movie AND first episode. Wah-hoo!

Life is good...

Report back with your review. I shall be waiting.

Calla Lily
06-20-2007, 03:37 PM
As requested:

15 minutes in, I was looking for someone--anyone--to put duct tape over the Runaway Bride's mouth. And honestly, IMO a weak episode. Spider Empress chewed the scenery a bit much. Overall, merely a good "fix" for the Doctor-starved.

First episode:

Not bad. I didn't warm to Martha, really, but I didn't warm to Rose for a few episodes either. Liked the rhino guys. Liked the sweet little old lady vampire. Objected to the House-like jerk insulting the interns. An obvious redshirt. (Um...what's with the Dictor's hair? Nobody gets bedhead that bad!) Liked it when the rhino gave Martha the chit as "compensation" for the scan.

Like how the Doctor pines for Rose just a bit. Hate to say it, but as annoying as Rose could be, I'd like to see the doctor breach space and time and throw caution to the wind and hook up with her.

We get the Shakespeare episode next week. (DON'T TELL ME!) Hope it'll be as decent as the Eccleston Dickens episode was.

Feeling better now...the Doctor is back on in the States. :e2cloud9:

(Of course, Tennant is no Tom Baker or John Pertwee. But you can't have everything.) ;)

Bmwhtly
06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
15 minutes in, I was looking for someone--anyone--to put duct tape over the Runaway Bride's mouth. And honestly, IMO a weak episode. Spider Empress chewed the scenery a bit much. Overall, merely a good "fix" for the Doctor-starved.That's about the size of it.

Liked the rhino guys.They reminded me of the Fifth Element, but I"m not quite sure why.

Um...what's with the Dictor's hair? Nobody gets bedhead that bad!Doctor who's hair? that's not bedhead, it's like that for the rest of the series!

Like how the Doctor pines for Rose just a bit. Get used to it. It comes back now and then.

We get the Shakespeare episode next week. (DON'T TELL ME!) Hope it'll be as decent as the Eccleston Dickens episode was.No SPoilers! Promise.
If you'd like an opinion, don't look away. If you wouldn't do.

Not as good as Ep1 but better than Xmas.

(Of course, Tennant is no Tom Baker or John Pertwee. But you can't have everything.) ;)Well, I always thought Tennant was kinda like Tom Baker on Crack. But that may just be me.

Calla Lily
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
They reminded me of the Fifth Element, but I"m not quite sure why.

You're right--they're a simpler version of the warriors who buy the guns from Gary Oldman's character. (I love Fifth Element--except for Chris Tucker's character, who needs to be blown up. Several times.)

Doctor who's hair? that's not bedhead, it's like that for the rest of the series!

:Wha:

Well, I always thought Tennant was kinda like Tom Baker on Crack. But that may just be me.

:roll: That's great! And quite apt. I think I agree.

zahra
06-23-2007, 12:34 AM
As requested:

15 minutes in, I was looking for someone--anyone--to put duct tape over the Runaway Bride's mouth. And honestly, IMO a weak episode. Spider Empress chewed the scenery a bit much. Overall, merely a good "fix" for the Doctor-starved.

First episode:

Not bad. I didn't warm to Martha, really, but I didn't warm to Rose for a few episodes either. Liked the rhino guys. Liked the sweet little old lady vampire. Objected to the House-like jerk insulting the interns. An obvious redshirt. (Um...what's with the Dictor's hair? Nobody gets bedhead that bad!) Liked it when the rhino gave Martha the chit as "compensation" for the scan.

Like how the Doctor pines for Rose just a bit. Hate to say it, but as annoying as Rose could be, I'd like to see the doctor breach space and time and throw caution to the wind and hook up with her.

We get the Shakespeare episode next week. (DON'T TELL ME!) Hope it'll be as decent as the Eccleston Dickens episode was.

Feeling better now...the Doctor is back on in the States. :e2cloud9:

(Of course, Tennant is no Tom Baker or John Pertwee. But you can't have everything.) ;)

Great review! Yes, not a strong episode, rubbish baddy, actress playing the Runaway Bride a popular comedienne but perhaps not all that suited to this role.

DT - well, we all know I preferred Chris E, but I think he's doing OK, and wait til you see him in the more 'human' episodes.

Martha will grow on you. I promise.

Bmwhtly
07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, the season Finale has finished.

Which means that we're all Wholess until the Christmas Special (which looks like it'll involve a certain famous Iceberg).

And the word on the Radiobox is that Martha will be in about half of next season's episodes.

jvc
07-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I really enjoyed the last two episode of the current season and can't believe we have to wait until Christmas for the special. Now what am I meant to do on a Saturday evening?

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Now what am I meant to do on a Saturday evening?

Go out and get a life? :D

jvc
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Go out and get a life? :D
That sounds scary, not sure I could do that.

jvc
07-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Well, the season Finale has finished.

Which means that we're all Wholess until the Christmas Special (which looks like it'll involve a certain famous Iceberg).

And the word on the Radiobox is that Martha will be in about half of next season's episodes.

Freema Agyeman, AKA Martha Jones, will be in 3 episode of the Doc Who spin off, Torchwood. She won't be in the first half of the next season of Doctor Who, but will return for the second half of the season. There will also be a new (as yet un-named) companion for the Time Lord who will appear in the entire 13-week run. The next season begins filming this month.

zahra
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
John Simm was excellent. So much better as a baddie. He just hasn't a good-guy face.

BUT I'm really pissed off that Freema's being sidelined. :cry: How dare they? So who are they gonna get to be the 'primary' companion? Not that annoying, simpery one from the statues episode, I hope. I know the BBC likes her, for some reason. They said the next companion will be a big name, so perhaps not, but then they said Freema was not leaving. We've been lied to. :rant: It's akin to 'I did not have sex with that woman'. To all intents and purposes, she's leaving.

Who do you think they've got lined up?

Oh, God, I'm a geek.

But seriously, who do you all reckon?

Bmwhtly
07-03-2007, 11:10 AM
They said the next companion will be a big nameThat may be referring to the Christmas special (Which carries on directly from the season finale, Titanic and All).
The radiobox just said who the companion at Christmas would be.

Want to know?

Really?

Maybe I shouldn't tell you.

Well, OK. Kylie (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/entertainment/galleries/entertainmentinpics.shtml?select=01#gallery).

Sage
07-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Not bad. I didn't warm to Martha, really, but I didn't warm to Rose for a few episodes either. I had the same reaction. I was still so sad to lose Rose, & my friends (who downloaded it & watched it b4 me) were, like, "we love Martha" right from the beginning, while I was like, "Yeah, she's nice, but I miss Rose." After the full third season, I like them about equally, but for different reasons.

Like how the Doctor pines for Rose just a bit. Um, good. As Bmwhtly said, get used to it.

We get the Shakespeare episode next week. (DON'T TELL ME!) Hope it'll be as decent as the Eccleston Dickens episode was.Personally, I liked the Shakespeare ep better than the Dickens ep.

Well, I always thought Tennant was kinda like Tom Baker on Crack. But that may just be me.
Yeah, my roommate's parents have old Doctor Who eps on tape & we've been watching Tom Baker, & thought that Tennant was very similar. (Of course, we also find some nice similarities w/ Mal from Firefly/Serenity, & that's not even because of the browncoat)

BTW, I just downloaded the CD last night off Itunes, & the music is gorgeous. Sadly, only the first two seasons (still over 30 songs, & most a good length too) because the third season has some really good music, but still a beautiful soundtrack.

jvc
07-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Yep, Kylie is gonna be the person in the Christmas episode and the rumour at the studio is that Catherine Tate will be the assistant for the next season, in all the episodes with Martha returning for the last six of them (would have to confirm that for you though).

Bmwhtly
07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Yep, Kylie is gonna be the person in the Christmas episode and the rumour at the studio is that Catherine Tate will be the assistant for the next season, in all the episodes with Martha returning for the last six of them (would have to confirm that for you though).I heard that Catherine Tate will be in it for four episodes. PLaying the Runaway Bride again.
Nuts. I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played.

Ah well, it's not till next year.

zahra
07-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Kylie and Catherine Tate.

I feel that Dcotor Who and I are about to break up. It was nice while it lasted, but the Respondent has changed and I fear we are no longer compatible.

Kylie 'Ridiculous Face-Lift, Indifferent Actress' Minogue. Catherine 'Annoying In the Xmas Episode' Tate.

Freema was a far better actress than Billie, far prettier than Billie and Catherine and Kylie, and unlike Catherine Tate, didn't sink an episode quicker than an elephant on a rubber ducky. And yet, after one series, they get rid. I'd really like to know why.

Majorly pissed off.

jvc
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I heard that Catherine Tate will be in it for four episodes. PLaying the Runaway Bride again.
Nuts. I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played.

Ah well, it's not till next year.
Yep, couldn't agree more, I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played, let's hope the writing in the next season compensates for that. I still have to confirm that Tate is in all episodes though.

ETA: yep it's true, Tate will be in all 13 episodes of the next series :( .

Calla Lily
07-06-2007, 02:48 AM
Yep, couldn't agree more, I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played, let's hope the writing in the next season compensates for that. I still have to confirm that Tate is in all episodes though.

ETA: yep it's true, Tate will be in all 13 episodes of the next series :( .

Ugh. So I should enjoy the season that y'all have seen every episode of while it lasts?

Shakespeare was delightful. Loved the HP references. Getting a little tired of the mouthful-of-fangs villains already. Some costume designer have a think against decent teeth?

Bmwhtly
07-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Getting a little tired of the mouthful-of-fangs villains already.Oh. That's a shame.

There are some good villains to come (y'all know who I mean). But there are more 'Folk with spiky dentures' to come. Brace yourself.

Evaine
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Martha is moving over to Torchwood for a few episodes - I really hope she doesn't get off with the doctor who has the face of a wide-mouthed frog.
But it is nice that they are tying the two series together a bit more.

Calla Lily
07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
And, of course, we DON'T GET Torchwood here in the states.

>grumble, mumble, rant, gripe<

Bmwhtly
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
And, of course, we DON'T GET Torchwood here in the states.

>grumble, mumble, rant, gripe<Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I thought Torchwood was really rather... ummm... (what's the polite way of saying lousy) ... ummm... Inferior.
And, as someone said earlier, it would've been easier to shoot an actual Tourist Information film.

scarletpeaches
07-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Torchwood has The Barrowman. That is all that is needed to keep Nichola happy. Don't diss the Torchwood.

Thank you.

Calla Lily
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
:roll:

Which then should be MST3K'd? This weekend, I re-watched their riffs on "Puerto Rico-Island of Progress" or some such. Painful.

Calla Lily
07-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Posted too slow. Y'all across the water are much more awale than I. I'm only 1/4 into the first cup of coffee. My laughing guy was in response to Bmwhitly. scarletpeaches, who's the Barrowman?

scarletpeaches
07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Cap'n Jack Harkness. :LilLove:

Calla Lily
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Oooh, yes. I did like him.

Stupid international TV rights bean-counters who won't give us Torchwood. :rant:

zahra
07-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I thought Torchwood was really rather... ummm... (what's the polite way of saying lousy) ... ummm... Inferior.
And, as someone said earlier, it would've been easier to shoot an actual Tourist Information film.

Oh, Torch-bloody-wood makes me tired!

It's like a grown-up Dr Who by someone who thinks being grown-up only requires lots of sex and swearing, the stories are often too puerile for the remit of 'adult sci-fi', the lead woman is irritating as hell and John Barrowman just does not have the depth to carry a series. Sorry, he doesn't. He is too light-weight. Song-and-dance man who got lucky, is my opinion.

I do like the young techie boy in it, the one with the 'tragic girlfriend-secret' (don't want to do a spoiler, so that's all I'll say) but Burn Gorman, the one who is (inexplicably) supposed to be the one everyone in the team fancies, is miscast, but the BBC likes him, so there we are.

The BBC seems to have resurrected the institution of rep companies, previously applicable only to theatres - it has a pool of actors it throws things at, regardless of their suitability - and the younger members of the 'Bleak House' cast seem to be the newest sign-ups.

Serenity
07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Oh, Torch-bloody-wood makes me tired!

It's like a grown-up Dr Who by someone who thinks being grown-up only requires lots of sex and swearing, the stories are often too puerile for the remit of 'adult sci-fi', the lead woman is irritating as hell and John Barrowman just does not have the depth to carry a series. Sorry, he doesn't. He is too light-weight. Song-and-dance man who got lucky, is my opinion.

I do like the young techie boy in it, the one with the 'tragic girlfriend-secret' (don't want to do a spoiler, so that's all I'll say) but Burn Gorman, the one who is (inexplicably) supposed to be the one everyone in the team fancies, is miscast, but the BBC likes him, so there we are.

Gee, tell us how you really feel... :ROFL:

zahra
07-07-2007, 03:59 AM
You should have heard me when 'Blair Witch' came out...;)

Sage
07-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Torchwood got better towards the end of the season, as they switched the focus a little more towards Jack & a little less on Gwen. I don't like her much, nor Owen. At least I now have a reason for why Owen is so popular, but he does nothing for me visually (I thought he looked more like a monkey than anything else) & is annoying to boot. Really Jack & Yanto are the only ones I like, though Tosh isn't too bad.

I do agree w/ Torchwood being more "grown-up" than Doctor Who. I kinda compare them to Angel & Buffy (the series, not characters). Angel was darker, more serious, more "down to business" than Buffy, IMO. I see Torchwood that way too.

I wish Jack would stay w/ the Doctor. He is a much better character as a sidekick than as boss. I was willing to accept the change in his character on Torchwood as being a result of what Rose did to him & being left behind & what happened in between then & Torchwood, but then he came back to DW, & was pretty much the same ol' Jack.

I :heart: Captain Jack Harkness, btw. His presence alone keeps me watching Torchwood. Hopefully, next season will be less Gwen/Owen-oriented & more Jack-oriented.

Evaine
07-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I agree - more of Capt Jack using Torchwood as a tribute to the Doctor, and less of everyone having sex with everyone else.

I think my favourite episode was probably the one where the plane from the 1950s arrived in the present - the looks on the girls' faces when they realised what tea bags were for was priceless!

Calla Lily
07-07-2007, 03:05 PM
I wish Jack would stay w/ the Doctor. He is a much better character as a sidekick than as boss.

They usually cast the sidekick as an oposite personality from the doctor. Sarah Jane and the kilted guy were practical, Tom Baker wild-and-crazy. Jo Grant a little silly, John Pertwee serious with a capital S. Christopher Eccleston angsty and grim, Rose goofy and flighty--Jack happy-go-lucky.

So Jack won't work with Tennant-and neither does Roas, alas. I saw ther doom coming in the werewolf episode--the one that initiated Torchwood--when Rose and the Doctor got all "eeee!" over the fact of a werewolf.

Alas, maybe that's why they're bringing back Miss Runaway Bride. She's the polar oposite of Tennant's characterization.

Alas.

Calla Lily
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Update: CBC will be showing Torchwood starting this fall! There's hope for the New World yet.

Mmmm...an hour a week of Captain Jack.

Bmwhtly
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Update: CBC will be showing Torchwood starting this fall! There's hope for the New World yet.

Mmmm...an hour a week of Captain Jack.
You may enjoy it, but I was bored and started forgetting to watch it by about halfway through.
Some interesting ideas but on the whole... naff.

dpaterso
07-10-2007, 04:31 PM
You may enjoy it, but I was bored and started forgetting to watch it by about halfway through.
Official nod of agreement.

-Derek

Calla Lily
07-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I'll dredge out this thread in Sept. and add my opinionated opinion.:)

jvc
07-10-2007, 07:37 PM

Official nod of agreement.

-Derek
I agree - naff.

zahra
07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Geek alert: The hint is that the first epi of the next series is about the 'Titanic', but the Doctor present at the 'Titanic' was Chris Eccleston, not David T - in the very first episode, Mark Benton's 'Doctor-nerd' showed a photo of him....Ooh, bit of a boob there, Russell TD.

ALLWritety
07-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi

A package arrive for me today. i though it was something from my cousin BUT NO it is finally my Dr. Who DVD's from Korea. YES! YES! They have finally arrived. Now I can enjoy some Dr. Who.

I am so happy!!!

Kev.

merper
07-16-2007, 05:34 AM
I started watching the series a couple months ago. On season 3 now. The doctor himself is pretty interesting, but the plots can get so ridiculous at times. I know there have to be some throwbacks to the original from a time when stacked cardboard boxes was radical robot design, but are we supposed to keep a straight face when they try to play Daalecs as threatening? I mean some episodes can be incredible despite all the goofiness, like the one where they tried to save Rose's dad or the WW2 series or the one about LINDA, but then they bring in "Cybermen" and it goes to hell. Maybe there is some British thing I'm not getting.

I will say this though - I'm getting sick of them trying to beat in the message than extending human life is a bad thing. People having their body switched out for an indestructible metallic one will kill themselves in horror without an emotion suppression chip? Screw that, where can I sign up?

Also, Martha is so much better in every way than Rose. I almost stopped watching near the start of season 2, because I couldn't stand how giddy she acted.

zahra
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I started watching the series a couple months ago. On season 3 now. The doctor himself is pretty interesting, but the plots can get so ridiculous at times. I know there have to be some throwbacks to the original from a time when stacked cardboard boxes was radical robot design, but are we supposed to keep a straight face when they try to play Daalecs as threatening? I mean some episodes can be incredible despite all the goofiness, like the one where they tried to save Rose's dad or the WW2 series or the one about LINDA, but then they bring in "Cybermen" and it goes to hell. Maybe there is some British thing I'm not getting.

I will say this though - I'm getting sick of them trying to beat in the message than extending human life is a bad thing. People having their body switched out for an indestructible metallic one will kill themselves in horror without an emotion suppression chip? Screw that, where can I sign up?

Also, Martha is so much better in every way than Rose. I almost stopped watching near the start of season 2, because I couldn't stand how giddy she acted.
Well, make the most of Martha...

Cardboard monsters aside, (and geeks like me aside, too) Dr Who is kind of a kids' programme, really. One sophisticated enough for adults to enjoy, but essentially, its remit remains 'family'. That's why they cooked up the (I think) lamentable Torchwood, for the grown folk.

Sage
07-17-2007, 05:06 AM
And if you want one that's really a kid's show, wait for The Sarah Jane Adventures.

ALLWritety
07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Update:

Yawn ! I know for you guys these are very old episodes but for me in the wilds of Taiwan they are new.

DVD: Dr. Who - Chris Eccleson & Billie Piper
Ep 1:
Plastic monsters - plastic story - PLASTIC - I'm a bimbo girl in a bimbo world Plastic plastic Everything is plastic!!

#2 The last human! Story Stretched too thin!

#3 Charles dickens - Getting better but alas the Dr. as brainy & mind measurably superior (Soz slipped in to my War of the Worlds mode for a moment!!) does not engage brain. Maybe he is working on a higher plain or his brian is just out to lunch. It takes Charles Dickens to figure out how to a stop the gas bods.

# 4 & 5 Pigs in space!!! Not bad! Liked the story but thought the ending was too easy.

#6 Dalek - Much better. I really liked this one. Would it have been THAT bad if the Dalek had feelings? Is the Dr. boarderline phycotic? Quote: "You would have made a great Dalek" or something like that! - The last Dalek to Dr.

That's all i have watched so far. I like it and they do seem to be getting better.

More later
Kev

zahra
07-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I tend to tune out when it's too much science and futuristic monsters. The ones rooted in reality and people and the past are far better, I reckon. You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers? You've got lots to look forward to!

ALLWritety
07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Zarha

You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers?

YES WAY WAY WAY behind. Like I said they have not even heard of Dr Who over here in Taiwan!!!! I will get more DVD's later!!!

You've got lots to look forward to!

Goody Goody!!!!!

Kevvers (I like Kevvers is sounds good!)

Calla Lily
07-25-2007, 03:37 PM
CBC showed part 2 of "Daleks in Manhattan" last night.

Um...if the good Doctor had access to the Daleks gigundo DNA machine that was going to turn all humans into Daleks, WHY couldn't he have reversed Lazlo's pig-face while he was saving his life?!?! Argh.

Oh, and they seriously needed to put one of those "acknowledgement to the works of" disclaimers after that 2-parter. Like: William Hope Hodgson's SF, Logan's Run, The Matrix, George Orwell...

All you UK folks--can you tell me if they get off the Dalek/Cybermen kick and 1) go to some OTHER PLANETS again and 2) invent some new villains?

Love the Doctor. Getting annoyed. Starting to with they'd bring back Rose to consummate this thwarted love thing.

(Okay, these are minor quibbles. Still thrilled the Doctor is available again.)

dpaterso
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
While channel-flicking last night I happened to catch a re-run of Blink (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/) on sat channel UK Gold (uh... Season 3, episode 10... pretty recent) and was so entertained by the interplay between Carey Mulligan and Michael Obiora, which went on for a good little while, that I was actually annoyed when the Doctor and Martha appeared with their usual vacuous smiling chit-chat. Episode written by Steven Moffat of Coupling fame.

-Derek

Bmwhtly
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Geek alert: The hint is that the first epi of the next series is about the 'Titanic', but the Doctor present at the 'Titanic' was Chris Eccleston, not David T - in the very first episode, Mark Benton's 'Doctor-nerd' showed a photo of him....Ooh, bit of a boob there, Russell TD.
As it happens, the very first episode was on BBC3 yesterday.

The Doctor-Nerd does show a picture of Chris Eccleston, but he's not ON the titanic. He's shown with a family who are planning to sail on the Titanic, but change their mind after they meet the Doc. And since it looks like the Titanic runs into the Tardis, we can assume it already sailed. So, no danger of the two doctors running into each other.

scarletpeaches
07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
I always wondered about the Titanic thing. It bugged me. I've only ever seen episode one once, and if I remembered it, I wondered how RTD could have overlooked that one.

ALLWritety
07-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey guys

What series is the Good Dr on now? How far am i behind? Hw many DVD's & what do i need to order?

Kevvers

scarletpeaches
07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
One with the Eccleston and another two with the Tennant, plus two Christmas specials.

Bmwhtly
07-29-2007, 09:23 PM
TWO Xmas specials? There's the one with the Runaway Bride. And another one?
Did I miss one?

Inky
07-29-2007, 09:33 PM
God, lets hope not.

Yes!
Indeedy!
Who's excited?

Grrrrrr
Hey! I like Benny Hill! I was probably the only American 12 year old who got his nasty jokes & dry humor...okay...I was probably the only 12 year old kid up that late on a school night too...

dpaterso
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
TWO Xmas specials? There's the one with the Runaway Bride. And another one?
Did I miss one?
The Christmas Invasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Invasion) intro'd David Tennant as the new Doctor.

-Derek

jvc
07-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I'd love to see an episode of Doctor Who where he runs into a previous incarnation of himself after going back in time.

dpaterso
07-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd love to see an episode of Doctor Who where he runs into a previous incarnation of himself after going back in time.
Given that the Time Lords aren't around to enforce their "It is forbidden (unless we arrange it, of course) for anyone to meet another version of oneself" law, maybe that'll happen.

-Derek

jvc
07-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Given that the Time Lords aren't around to enforce their "It is forbidden (unless we arrange it, of course) for anyone to meet another version of oneself" law, maybe that'll happen.

-Derek
Well the Doctor is around, so it may end up him having to punish himself/himselves.

Sage
07-30-2007, 03:38 AM
The Doctor-Nerd does show a picture of Chris Eccleston, but he's not ON the titanic. He's shown with a family who are planning to sail on the Titanic, but change their mind after they meet the Doc. And since it looks like the Titanic runs into the Tardis, we can assume it already sailed. So, no danger of the two doctors running into each other.
Except the doctor also talks about being on another unsinkable ship & clinging to an iceberg in the second episode.

zahra
07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Zarha

You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers?

YES WAY WAY WAY behind. Like I said they have not even heard of Dr Who over here in Taiwan!!!! I will get more DVD's later!!!

You've got lots to look forward to!

Goody Goody!!!!!

Kevvers (I like Kevvers is sounds good!)
I hope you weren't making fun of my British accent, young man. Why are you in Taiwan?

zahra
07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Except the doctor also talks about being on another unsinkable ship & clinging to an iceberg in the second episode.
OK, sooooo....One incarnation of the doc stays and one sails...??? Do we think? Must be. He's CE when he sends the family off to safety, and then from in the future when he's DT, he goes back and finds himself on the ship.

Oh, somebody ask Russell. I've got the tea to make.

ALLWritety
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Zahra

I hope you weren't making fun of my British accent, young man.

NO not at all. Not in any way. I am a True Brit and Love the Brit Accent! However I have had to lose most of my Britishness and my Yorkshire/Sheffieldish.

Hey rep point coming your way - Young man. It has been a long time since I was called a young man!

Why are you in Taiwan?
1) I am teaching English. My 1st job TOLD me that i had to ditch the Brit accent and speak "American". (Taiwan is extremely AMERICANISED.) Oh Geee do I have to speak AMEREEECAN? Yep! I do!

2) I am a missionary over here. I tell kids and adults who will listen about Jesus.

Kevvers & I really do like Kevvers. No one has called me that before and I have been called a lot of things!!!!!!!!!!!!
;-p

zahra
08-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Kevvers, it is a far, far greater thing you do than I would ever do. I can't believe you have to speak with a US accent! Hilarious. Make your friend send you the DVDs immediately. Tell him it's your earthly reward. Remind him of the time you saved his life (oh, you must have, at some stage, you're just not thinking). Send him the money and tell him he's now fiscally obligated, or something. But get those DVDs!

Um...Amazon?

ALLWritety
08-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Is this true? When?

Nesbitt to be new Who?
Thu 02 Aug 11:34 AM. By Press Association Enlarge Photo
From the moment David Tennant slipped into the black leather jacket vacated by Christopher Eccleston, speculation has been rife as to when the handsome Scottish star will step down as the Doctor.

He's always maintained a dignified silence, but when names start to be bandied about in the Press, there's usually something afoot.

Jekyll actor James Nesbitt is rumoured to be the next in line to fly the Tardis. He's good friends with Steven Moffat, who wrote Jekyll, and who is widely tipped to replace Russell T Davies, who steps down next year.

That's a lot of rumour, but according to an insider: "Moffat has worked with James on Jekyll and the talk in BBC Drama is that he's a shoo-in as the next Doctor. First a Scottish Doctor - now we could have a Northern Irish one."

Never mind his nationality - will he be able to defend us from the likes of the Ood, Slitheen and - of course - the Daleks?
More TV News

jvc
08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I saw that too, but he won't for the next season as David Tennant has already been signed up as far as I know.

zahra
08-04-2007, 01:50 AM
NNNOOOO! Not James 'I'm such a twinkly Irishman' Nesbitt. Oh, dear God. That's it. If Dr Who ever consists of James Nesbitt and Catherine Tate, I'm outta there.

Evaine
08-04-2007, 01:43 PM
According to the gossip on unitnews, this is not true (in fact, I think Stephen Moffat may have confirmed that it's not true).

Jean Marie
08-05-2007, 03:08 AM
I liked the first Dr. Who, better.

Sage
08-05-2007, 06:13 AM
According to the gossip on unitnews, this is not true (in fact, I think Stephen Moffat may have confirmed that it's not true).
I'm just hoping that David has a good, long run. I don't think I can handle another Doctor change yet, & they're running out of incarnations anyway.

Bmwhtly
08-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm just hoping that David has a good, long run. I don't think I can handle another Doctor change yet, & they're running out of incarnations anyway.I hope Mr Tennant sticks around a bit too.

But regarding the limited incarnations; am I right in thinking that the Master ran out around Peter Davidson. And he came back.

ALLWritety
08-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Jean Marie

I liked the first Dr. Who, better.

Are you talking about the VERY 1st Dr Who? WOW!! You you have a great memory!!!

K.

Sage
08-06-2007, 02:01 AM
I hope Mr Tennant sticks around a bit too.

But regarding the limited incarnations; am I right in thinking that the Master ran out around Peter Davidson. And he came back.
Yeah, that confused me too (I don't know the actor, but saw "The Deadly Assassin" recently & the Master was in his 12th incarnation & trying to find out how to live beyond it).

scarletpeaches
08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Bear in mind the front runner is never the man picked. If Nesbitt IS the new Doctor, I'm outta here, though. He gets right on my nipple ends.

You know who I think would be perfect? Richard E. Grant. Who's with me? :D

travelgal
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Richard E Grant was rumoured to be the next Doctor before Eccleston and company came along.

I hope Tennant stays awhile. Whoever said he's Tom Baker on crack has it spot on. Love it when he playts dumb, like Patrick Troughten did. Too bad Eccleston didn't stay longer, though...

As for incarnations, I thought he got 'em all back somehow...after all, he's more than a Time Lord.

Bmwhtly
08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I hope Tennant stays awhile. Whoever said he's Tom Baker on crack has it spot on. Thanks. That was me.

Well, actually it was my mother. But I posted it!

zahra
08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
People who I don't want ever to be the Doctor: (amongst those who might actually be considered)

Richard E Grant - no posh fops, please
James Nesbitt - irritating twinkly turn
Robson Green - sour-faced
Simon Pegg - onion-faced
David Morrissey - God, he's miserable
Robert Carlyle - even when he smiles he looks like he wants to bite you
Rupert Everett - see Richard E Grant
David Walliams - annoys the living hell out of me
Sanjeev Bhaskar - not convinced about the acting, otherwise, wouldn't mind
Robbie Coltrane - not as wrong as the others, but not totty, is he? I'd like totty in some measure, call me sexist...

You know who I would quite like now? Kevin McKidd. I rather think he'd be fab.

ALLWritety
08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Didn't know you could use "Totty" for men!!!

AzBobby
08-08-2007, 04:38 AM
I don't think the Doctor should be female - he's been male in 10 out of his 12 regenerations, after all.
I'd like to see Romana back though - I'm sure there was a loophole in the original series in which she could have survived the Time War (by being in E-Space, I think).

Um, I think he's had 9 regenerations (that we've seen, assuming Doctor #1 was the first to pass on), meaning 10 Doctors total. Presumably there can be 13 if he can regenerate 12 times. Not sure if there's any official math on this in the BBC Bible.

I've been hoping Romana would come back as well! Since the Big Face promised that the Doctor was not alone, my family's been making guesses on this one. I think the return of the Master is a done deal though, so who knows how many Time Lords are still flying up and down the whooshing time-tube thing.

It's too much to hope for, but since they've done multiple-Doctor episodes in the past, it would be awesome if a future episode included the underused Paul McGann if not all three of the most recent actors. They have a "missing story" to tell of his regeneration into the Eccleston incarnation, after all. So a look at that Time War would probably be a story about Doctor #8.

Bmwhtly
08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I've been hoping Romana would come back as well! Since the Big Face promised that the Doctor was not alone, my family's been making guesses on this one.I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out (once more) how rare it is that we Brits get a show ahead of the Americas.

dpaterso
08-08-2007, 11:36 AM
People who I don't want ever to be the Doctor: (amongst those who might actually be considered)

Richard E Grant - no posh fops, please
James Nesbitt - irritating twinkly turn
Robson Green - sour-faced
Simon Pegg - onion-faced
David Morrissey - God, he's miserable
Robert Carlyle - even when he smiles he looks like he wants to bite you
Rupert Everett - see Richard E Grant
David Walliams - annoys the living hell out of me
Sanjeev Bhaskar - not convinced about the acting, otherwise, wouldn't mind
Robbie Coltrane - not as wrong as the others, but not totty, is he? I'd like totty in some measure, call me sexist...
Good list, excellent reasoning, nods of agreement.

You know who I would quite like now? Kevin McKidd. I rather think he'd be fab.
It's very easy to visualize a Dalek with a bashed-in dome running around in circles shrieking "EMERGENCY SEVERE HEAD BUTT DAMAGE EMERGENCY!"

-Derek

zahra
08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
It's very easy to visualize a Dalek with a bashed-in dome running around in circles shrieking "EMERGENCY SEVERE HEAD BUTT DAMAGE EMERGENCY!"

-Derek

Yeah, a Doctor who looks like he could forget the decencies of diplomacy and science, and just lose it and chin the alien. Not all the time, though (see Robert Carlyle) but just that hint of hard man.

Bmwhtly
08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, a Doctor who looks like he could forget the decencies of diplomacy and science, and just lose it and chin the alien. Not all the time, though (see Robert Carlyle) but just that hint of hard man.Like Sean Pertwee?

ETA: I forgot when I posted, that he's actually the son of John Pertwee (Dr #3).

zahra
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Didn't know you could use "Totty" for men!!!

Oh, Kevvers, that's nothing to some of the words I use for men...:) I think that kind of word is non-gender-specific these days. (Are you worried, now, that behind your back some of your students are going, 'Hey, that Professor Kevvers is prime totty, isn't he?'

zahra
08-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Like Sean Pertwee?

ETA: I forgot when I posted, that he's actually the son of John Pertwee (Dr #3).
Sean Pertwee - great suggestion. His profile is a little low for the role, but otherwise, yup.

Bmwhtly
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Sean Pertwee - great suggestion. His profile is a little low for the role, but otherwise, yup.Well, he's done enough to be recognised.

Besides, Mr Tennant wasn't too well known before he donned the big brown coat was he?

Incidentally, has anyone pointed out the similarities between Tennant's Doc and Mal from Firefly?

Sage
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Um, I think he's had 9 regenerations (that we've seen, assuming Doctor #1 was the first to pass on), meaning 10 Doctors total. Presumably there can be 13 if he can regenerate 12 times. Not sure if there's any official math on this in the BBC Bible.11 regenerations, so 12 Doctors.

dpaterso
08-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Besides, Mr Tennant wasn't too well known before he donned the big brown coat was he?
When he was announced as the new Who I remembered him from a couple of things... he did rather well as the D.I. in Blackpool (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408375/) (which was slated by critics) and then excelled in Casanova (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427042/) which we enjoyed lots. His imdb.com credits list (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0855039/) is as long as my... arm... but I can't say I recall most of 'em.

-Derek

Sage
08-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Well, he's done enough to be recognised.

Incidentally, has anyone pointed out the similarities between Tennant's Doc and Mal from Firefly?Well, it wasn't discussed in detail anywhere, but I think I compared them somewhere around page four :D

When he was announced as the new Who I remembered him from a couple of things... he did rather well as the D.I. in Blackpool (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408375/) (which was slated by critics) and then excelled in Casanova (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427042/) which we enjoyed lots. His imdb.com credits list (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0855039/) is as long as my... arm... but I can't say I recall most of 'em.

-DerekGoblet of Fire! Okay, I'm done.

AzBobby
08-09-2007, 06:00 AM
11 regenerations, so 12 Doctors.

12 regenerations, according to various old episodes (such as "The Five Doctors"). My memory isn't that great -- I had to look it up.

So, 13 Doctors. And however many excuses for new regenerations they want to dream up after that. No rules in particular ever seem to hold back this series.

One of the old villains (the Vallyard) was supposed to be one of the Doctor's later regenerations, so it will be interesting to see whether they work that one in.

AzBobby
08-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out (once more) how rare it is that we Brits get a show ahead of the Americas.

You get most of the better programs first, i.e. the stuff made in UK. We in the States have to wait for your shows to surface on PBS, BBC America, the rare SciFi channel slot, and DVD shelves. My best friend buys the Doctor Who DVDs as soon as they're for sale in Region 2, so at least I watch most of those only a few months behind schedule (it takes longer to catch them on one of our channels, and usually a whole year before they're on DVD in Region 1). Otherwise, I'm aware of broad story developments like the return of Captain Jack and the Master based on the Doctor Who web sites.

What are you so sorry to wait for over there? New episodes of Blue Collar TV?

The last Who episode I saw was "Blink." Damn. Just when I thought the series was slipping with the departure of Rose, they make one of the best episodes ever out of an Outer Limits-style monster-of-the-week story. Russell T. Davies was probably the best thing to ever happen to the series, but I won't be so sad to see him go if they give the job to Steve Moffat, who seems to write all the best episodes of the last three years.

Bmwhtly
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
The last Who episode I saw was "Blink." Damn. Just when I thought the series was slipping with the departure of Rose, they make one of the best episodes ever out of an Outer Limits-style monster-of-the-week story. Russell T. Davies was probably the best thing to ever happen to the series, but I won't be so sad to see him go if they give the job to Steve Moffat, who seems to write all the best episodes of the last three years.Blink was good. But they kinda ruined it with the last little bit, trying to make us scared of Real Statues. But the rest of it was really good
"They don't hurt you, just zap you into the past and make you live to death" For some reason, "Living to death" makes me chuckle.

And, in case y'all didn't know, BBC3 are re-running the Eccleston episodes nightly at 7. I've been watching them and I've decided I prefer Tennant.

zahra
08-10-2007, 02:15 AM

-Derek
Oh, DT was definitely becoming a name to be reckoned with before he got Who, and I think his appearance in Harry Potter helped, as it got the kids knowing him.

Steve Moffat is one of the best Who writers; I loved Blink. The ending was classic horror - telling the audience "It's not over..."

I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, at the quality of the ideas coming up on Who. If they come up with one of my horror ideas, I'm going to be very, very cross.

AzBobby
08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I can see how the statue montage at the end of Blink was hokey, but I liked it anyway. A nice campfire-ghost-story touch, pushing your imagination to consider real world examples -- a classic way to end a horror story, as zahra mentioned. It still fit into the context of the story, because in the story these hidden DVD messages were presumably attended by thousands of people around the world who found them by accident (or by belonging to a circle of video nuts who knew how to find them) but wouldn't know their specific reference, the supposed limitations of his warnings. The Doctor was addressing a woman he knew, but in the effort to do so, he was also peering out of the TV addressing the general public with these creepy messages, just as he stared out at us in the final shots.

ALLWritety
08-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Ok some more of what i think of my DVD's. (C. Ecclesson & rose) Not sure of exact title or order now!!

* Have I got news for you - was OK. I though it had great potential but the ending sucked.

* The father's day was really good I liked that one.

* Are you my mummy? This one was really good. I couldn't get the phrase "Are you my mummy" out of my head for days.

* 2nd Chance - with the silveen (sp) was quite good. Most people (aliens included!!) deserve a 2nd Chance.

* Game show - was corny & cheesey. Had a good laugh at the piss take of the game shows. I have been out of UK for 9 years but know about the game shows that were spoofed.

* The Daleks AGAIN. These guys never seem to die. WHY?? I am sure there are more aliens out there other than the Daleks. So Rose was the big bad wolf eh? I wondered how the Doc was gonna get out of that mess.

I can't think of any more if I have missed any i will tell you later. OK!!

Kevvers.

zahra
08-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok some more of what i think of my DVD's. (C. Ecclesson & rose) Not sure of exact title or order now!!

* Are you my mummy? This one was really good. I couldn't get the phrase "Are you my mummy" out of my head for days.

Kevvers.

Sorry to whet your appetite so soon, but you are SO gonna love the 'Blink' episode. It's written by the same guy, Steve Moffat, and is scary-mary.

Calla Lily
08-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Way behind the rest of you here in the US, but...

Just saw part 1 of the "Doctor becomes human to escape the Family of Blood" episode. Why do the writers like to make poor Tennant scream and writhe in agony so much? Yeah, I know it happened to Baker every so often, but...eep. I'm glad they only showed it in snatches. It seemed to unnerve my 11-y-o a bit.

And they also like to write scenes where he gets his face slapped. Hard. (Good staging there--the slaps look real.)

But oooh, he can kiss me anytime he wants. :D

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Just saw part 1 of the "Doctor becomes human to escape the Family of Blood" episode. Why do the writers like to make poor Tennant scream and writhe in agony so much?In my opinion, the second part is where the real money is.

And it shows Tennant at his best if you ask me. If you're any kind of person, you may come close to tears by the end of it. But I don't want to give away too much.

Calla Lily
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
And it shows Tennant at his best if you ask me. If you're any kind of person, you may come close to tears by the end of it. But I don't want to give away too much.

We need a smiley that tears out its hair. Augh! And I have to wait a whole WEEK to see part 2!

Thanks, BMwhtly. Really. No sarcasm there at all. Honest. :e2hammer:

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
We need a smiley that tears out its hair. Augh! And I have to wait a whole WEEK to see part 2!

Thanks, BMwhtly. Really. No sarcasm there at all. Honest. :e2hammer:Yeah, I guess I did build it up a bit there. Shoot, now you'll probably be dissapointed when you see it.

Hmmm... no, that's impossible.

Calla Lily
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
AUGH!

Sage
08-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, "Human Nature" & the second part were great eps, & "Blink" (which is the next one after that) is also really good. In fact from "Human Nature" on, the season is just awesome.

Calla Lily
08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I've been reading what y'all said about "Blink."

Come on, next Monday! Get here!:whip:

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Be aware, ye the enlightened, that Blink is comparable to the one with Peter Kay, the absorbaloff. In that it focuses on an ordinary person who get's caught up in the Doctor's antics.

It's a refreshing change.

zahra
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
AUGH!
I sniffled a bit at the second part of Family of Blood, AND I wrote fan-mail to Paul Cornell, who wrote it. That's how good.

Evaine
08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
There's a book - 'Human Nature' - which was written for the Sylvester McCoy doctor a few years ago, from which the story was taken and adapted.

Calla Lily
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Be aware, ye the enlightened, that Blink is comparable to the one with Peter Kay, the absorbaloff. In that it focuses on an ordinary person who get's caught up in the Doctor's antics.

It's a refreshing change.

Um...I really disliked that ep. "Moaning Myrtle" didn't help. Does Blink have a less whiny and otherwise annoying MC?

Bmwhtly
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Um...I really disliked that ep. "Moaning Myrtle" didn't help. Does Blink have a less whiny and otherwise annoying MC?
Yes. She's Lovely. :D

Calla Lily
08-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Good. Thanks.

Tennant is quickly getting to the top 3 of my "You don't have to sleep with me, just let me listen to your voice and gaze at you" list.

Okay, a smooch or a backrub would be nice, too.

[goes off to plunge head in the ice-cube tray...]

zahra
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Tennant is quickly getting to the top 3 of my "You don't have to sleep with me, just let me listen to your voice and gaze at you" list.

[goes off to plunge head in the ice-cube tray...]

You might not recognise his real (Scottish) voice, though. You might not like it. So the safest course of action would be to settle for the 'sleeping with you' thing. Just to be safe.:D

zahra
08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Oh, and can I just quickly crave your indulgence while I exercise my inner geek? OK: In the werewolf episode, the Doctor introduced Queen Vic to Rose; polite society protocol is strict that you're supposed to say, "Socially Superior/Older person, this is Inferior/Younger Person", but he did it the other way round. Yet old Queen Starchy-Knickers didn't turn a hair.

OK, as you were.

zahra
08-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it was one of the weak ones, BUT MARC WARREN!!!!! Would I? Oh, yes, I think we can safely say that I SO WOULD. I don't usually go for the blonds, but that man is scorchy with sex appeal.

Calla Lily
08-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Tennant's real voice is Scottish.

Ooooooh...

Gerard Butler is on top of the aforementioned list, followed by Timothy Dalton. I'm cool with it.

(The hazards of living in upstate NY and hearing that twang day-in, day-out.)

Calla Lily
08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
*sniffle* *sniffle*

Okay, Part 2 it may not have been the bast Who ever, but it came pretty darn close. It might've been the best if--and I'm surprised I'm saying this--Rose and not Martha would've been the Companion. More romantic tension.

Tennant is nearly in a 3-way tie on my "actor I'd seriously consider wrecking my marriage with" list.

As if. :rolleyes:

The brief trailer for Blink looked good too.

Go ahead, gloat all you British folks. I know we're a year and a half behind y'all. :Ssh:

zahra
08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Rose was annoying. Martha, Martha, Martha!

So there.

scarletpeaches
08-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Tennant's real voice is Scottish.

Ooooooh...

Gerard Butler is on top of the aforementioned list, followed by Timothy Dalton. I'm cool with it.

(The hazards of living in upstate NY and hearing that twang day-in, day-out.)

That usually happens with people from Bathgate. ;)

Sage
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Rose was annoying. Martha, Martha, Martha!

So there.
Yes, 'cuz Martha's whining about Rose is so lovely.

zahra
08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, 'cuz Martha's whining about Rose is so lovely.
How would you like it if the only man in the universe (literally) you loved was hung up on some buck-toothed blonde?

Sage
08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
All I'm sayin' is that Martha can be a bit annoying too (I have to stick up for Rose 'cuz no one else seems to want to. I actually like them about equally)

zahra
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
All I'm sayin' is that Martha can be a bit annoying too (I have to stick up for Rose 'cuz no one else seems to want to. I actually like them about equally)
OK, we won't fight :)! I expect we'll be united in horror when Catherine Tate's the companion.:D

Sage
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
OK, we won't fight :)! I expect we'll be united in horror when Catherine Tate's the companion.:D
Definitely won't be disagreeing there

Calla Lily
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm so not looking forward to that. C'mon, he's the Doctor. If the BBC has conveniently ignored how many regenerations he was originally supposed to have, they can make with the loophole that'll bring back Rose. Heck, they brought back the Master. I mean, c'mon, people. (We haven't seen the Master ep here yet, so I don't know how it ends. I'm just talking out of the top of my hat. Please don't tell me. Thanks.)

Maybe Catherine Tate can switch allegiances to the Master. Sort of like Superman/Lex Luthor and Lois/Lana. Then the Doctor can get Rose.

Just a thought.

Evaine
08-25-2007, 03:53 PM
There is a throw away line that explains how the Master returned.

Bmwhtly
08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
There is a throw away line that explains how the Master returned.
And

Little Baby Spoiler:

No Chance of his return

Evaine
08-26-2007, 04:00 PM
A universe without the Master? It doesn't bear thinking about.

travelgal
09-03-2007, 07:48 AM
He'll be back, no worries. He's a master at comebacks. Gonna miss John Simm as the manical TimeLord, though. His facial expressions are, er, timeless.

valen_sinclair
09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
missed most of the chat here as a newbie....but when they introduced the master I couldv'e cried, as I was planning a killer master script, which I then had to dump

Evaine
09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
David Tennant turned on Blackpool Illuminations this year!
This is a quaint little British custom in which the seaside town of Blackpool puts decorations illuminated with literally millions of light bulbs along the sea front, called the Golden Mile, though it's more like 5 miles long. One of the set piece intallations used to be the Tardis control room - I should think it's still there. They also have illuminated trams that travel along the sea front (or Prom), and they light up Blackpool Tower (which looks a bit like the Eiffel Tower) as well. Every year they get a celebrity to throw the switch to turn the lights on (one year it was Kermit the Frog, when the Muppet Show was really big here).
Since there has been a Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool for many years, I think the Doctor was an obvious choice this year.

kathyhermy123
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I loved Season Two... Tennant/Piper was brilliant. Wish we could have kept her...

valen_sinclair
09-04-2007, 01:21 PM
BREAKING NEWS.
Doctor who will NOT return for a fifth series until 2010!
It is unknown who will play the doctor as tennant has not yet signed.

there will be a special in 2009 but that is all....

Calla Lily
09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
:rant: :Soapbox: :Ssh: :( :mad: :Headbang: :eek: :e2shrug: :e2cry: :e2bummed:

Bmwhtly
09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
BREAKING NEWS.
Doctor who will NOT return for a fifth series until 2010!
It is unknown who will play the doctor as tennant has not yet signed.

there will be a special in 2009 but that is all....The word from Tennant himself (who's currently playing Hamlet on stage) is thus:

The current series and Three Specials take them up to 2009 after that "Who knows, I could get run over by a truck by then".
But the BBC have reported that they're not doing any filming without him. And in 2009 they'll give the Doctor a year-long break to accomodate Tennant's plans.

It sounds to me like they want to keep him on. and rightly so.

Calla Lily
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I feel a bit less angst-ridden now. Thanks.

zahra
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
David Tennant turned on Blackpool Illuminations this year!

Since there has been a Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool for many years, I think the Doctor was an obvious choice this year.

Also, he did that BBC drama series, 'Blackpool'. So it all ties up, in a very neat, universal, law-of-balance, shut-up-Zahra way.

Blackpool itself is horrid, I think. I was once stuck there for 3 months and I will never go near the place again, no matter who they have turning on the lights (we did, that year, I seem to remember, though now it does seem a bit improbable...)

valen_sinclair
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey i was wondering if anyone knows anyone who might be interested in some doctor who autographs, as I am selling some I have. Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker, Mark Strickson, and Nicolaus Courtney....any help

Evaine
09-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Blackpool used to be very nice - I spent every school holiday there in the sixties and early seventies, and loved it, but my sister has been back recently and says it has gone downhill rather.

maestrowork
09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
anyone watching the new spinoff, Torchwood?

Calla Lily
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
anyone watching the new spinoff, Torchwood?

CBC starts season 1 this Saturday night. I'm there.

Bmwhtly
09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
CBC starts season 1 this Saturday night. I'm there.
Not for long, I'll bet.

It's... wait, did we already talk about this?
I thought so.

valen_sinclair
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
just pray you don't get the sarah jane smith adventures......GRINGE! that was ghastly.

zahra
09-08-2007, 01:39 AM
[quote=Bmwhtly;1610306]Not for long, I'll bet.

quote]
:roll:

Calla Lily
09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Um... What happened to happy-go-lucky Captain Jack?!

Capsule review: Interesting, gritty, too much sex. That last because My 11-y-o and I watch the Doctor faithfully, but I'm not letting him watch next week's Torchwood, no way no how! Eep.

Utterly, completely disappointed in how Jack's character has changed. What's-her-name the female sidekick (she was the psychic maid in the dickens ep, yes?) wasn't as annoying as I'd feared, but she obviously has more annoyance potential.

Overall grade: B

Cathy C
09-09-2007, 08:16 PM
:Wha: Too much sex? Do you mean the guy using the alien spray on the couple? That didn't bother me in the least. I see worse on commercials. :Shrug:

Also an overall Grade: B from me. I might have had my hopes built up a little too much by the trailers and such in the Dr. Who marathon last week on BBCA. (I'd missed a few episodes over the season, so it was nice to have them back to back.) Overall, I think they did a good job transitioning Capt. Jack, but I'd actually expected/hoped it would be grittier. The plotline was a bit confusing because (IMO) they were trying to fit too much in. It should have been either a two-hour pilot or a two-part opening. I'd frankly forgotten about the murders and didn't really CARE who the killer was. It sort of took second place to her own struggle (trying not to give away too many spoilers here.)

As for Dr. Who, I'm just starting Season 2, because they don't have it on disc here yet. I like Rose. She reminds me a lot of Leela (I go WAAAAY back as a Dr. Who fan. ;) ) I haven't decided whether I like Tennant. I'd just gotten used to Eggleston's (sp?) adaptation of the character. But I did like the opening of Season 2. It kept the spirit of the whole regeneration thing nicely. Again, IMO.

Both are worth continued watching. I was surprised at the twist to Capt. Jack at the end (although it does make perfect sense since I'd just watched the last episode of Season 1 right beforehand. ) I'll be curious to see how much "time" passed between him getting left on the station by the Doctor in the future until he could travel back in time to our "present." I presume he had to suck back up to the Time Agents or steal a ship. Wonder if it'll show up at any point.

Thoughts?

maestrowork
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
:Wha: Too much sex? Do you mean the guy using the alien spray on the couple? That didn't bother me in the least. I see worse on commercials. :Shrug:

I agree. I think that was very clever and funny, and set the tone of the series. It's not even sex. Kids have seen more than that, and I think it'd be neat for kids to know that, you know, there are all kinds of people with all kinds of persuasions.

I would give the episode a B also. It kind of drags and some parts were just hokey. Don't get a good sense of who these characters are. Some of them are actually a bit annoying. I did laugh at the Weevil scene -- I kept saying "Clarice... Clarice..." because that's definitely playing homage to The Silence of the Lambs.

Cathy C
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
:roll: Y'know, I didn't get the reference until just this minute when I read your post, Ray. But you're right. Now I can't stop chuckling.

Sage
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Torchwood's playing in the US now? Not that I get cable, but is it on SciFi like Doctor Who?

There is one episode that has quite a bit of sex on screen. I was pretty surprised by it, & would be surprised if it makes it to regular cable.

I agree that Jack was definitely changed from the Doctor to Torchwood. It sort of makes sense, especially now that he has to play the leader instead of the sidekick & considering what he's been through (most of that part of his history is told in Doctor Who tho), but why would you give a loved character his own show only to change him so much? I wish he could stay on Doctor.

The girl who plays Gwen was also Gwen in the Dickens ep of Doctor, yes. I would never have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it before I rewatched that ep. But I did notice Toshiko in Aliens of London, and I'm pretty sure that that was the same character (I can't remember Toshiko's surname, which is all we got in the credits).

Cathy C
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Actually, both of them appear on BBCAmerica on my satellite provider. It's not on our local SciFi channel programming.

maestrowork
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
It's on BBC-America. They did mention in the pilot that Jack is a "changed man."

rkbentley
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeh, Who Season 2 on BBC America started last night, Season 3 will be ending on Sci-Fi in roughly a month or so.

As for Torchwood, aftering doing to the evil deed and downloading when it arrived on BBC, imho: meh. The entire explaination of Jack arriving back should have shown and not just left the way it was.

I hope Season 2 is better than Season 1...

Calla Lily
09-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, BBC America.

The pilot was fine--the eroticize-me spray was funny. We both laughed. The guy-guy kiss was nothing. I'd just finished reading my kids a letter from 2 friends who happen to be gay and were mocking their own indulgence in a stereotype. Gay--big whups. It was the previews for next week that tripped my mom-switch. Sex-sex-sex. I don't let them watch too much violence, either. Yeah, I'm overprotective. You don't want to know the stuff I was reading and watching at 11. (Hint: if you read porn, HIDE it from your impressionable pre-teens.)

How did I get onto that?

Anyway. I didn't catch the Silence of the Lambs reference, either. Good eye, maestrowork.

AndiB
09-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Color me lost because I'm still not getting the Silence of the Lambs reference. Perhaps I'm just exhausted or I'm just really that slow. At any rate. I was disappointed too and am glad that I'm not the only one. By the time I went to bed last night I had convinced myself that I had just built it up too big in my mind and will give it a few more episodes before I make my final decision. Jack was MUCH toned down though and I loved his character on Dr. Who.

FYI by the end of season 3 on Dr. Who there is some explanation as to how he got back to the present.

plaidearthworm
09-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Loved Torchwood, I think it has some promise. Also loved David Tennant on the Graham Norton show right afterward! I laughed so hard, I think I hurt myself. Especially when Norton gets someone in the fake TARDIS, and it heads off the wrong way...and when David calls back the guy from the singles wanted ad. Very, very funny, but definitely not for the kiddies!

Bmwhtly
09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Um... What happened to happy-go-lucky Captain Jack?!He moved to Cardiff.

Any welshfolk reading this can assume I'm kidding. The rest of you surely realise that I'm not.

Capsule review: Interesting,In places.

gritty,I'm not sure I agree with that.

too much sex.I seem to remember that this didn't last much beyond the first episode, but I don't really remember.

What's-her-name the female sidekick (she was the psychic maid in the dickens ep, yes?) wasn't as annoying as I'd fearedWait a while.

ALLWritety
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
You have confused me now!!!

Are you talking about Dr Who or Torchwood?
BTW what is torchwood again?

Kevevrs

Calla Lily
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Right now, Torchwood. It's a Doctor Who spinoff.

zahra
09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, BBC America.

The pilot was fine--the eroticize-me spray was funny. .

Am I the only one who thought - "So that's just basically Rohypnol, then?"

Calla Lily
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I thought it was pheromones with a touch of chocolate. Must be a gal thing. :D

zahra
09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I thought it was pheromones with a touch of chocolate. Must be a gal thing. :D
It was a chemical that achieved the removal of sexual free-will in its victims! It's rape! rape, I tell you! And possibly the only way that boy with the mouth would ever get any action.:)

Calla Lily
09-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, of course it's rape. And while I chuckled, it was another nail in the coffin of Torchwood for me.

That makes me sound like *such* a prig. Oh, well.

zahra
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, of course it's rape. And while I chuckled, it was another nail in the coffin of Torchwood for me.

That makes me sound like *such* a prig. Oh, well.

I thought it was insufferably puerile. If they're trying to achieve a grown-up 'Doctor Who', well, 'The Family of Blood', and the statue episodes did that admirably. 'Torchwood' is no more adult in its core storylines than 'Who', so to marry them with all the sex and infidelity stuff just gives it a tiresome behind-the-bikesheds aura.

Calla Lily
09-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Agreed.

maestrowork
09-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who, by the way.

Calla Lily
09-11-2007, 02:15 AM
[smacks self in head] That never occurred to me. [smacks self again] Ow.

Sage
09-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who, by the way.
And the codename for the new Doctor Who for a while before it came out.

Calla Lily
09-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Oooh... Saw Utopia last night. DARN good! And I'm very happy that the guy playing the regenerated Master is the guy from Life on Mars. Loved that show--right up till the end of the last episode, when I threw a slipper across the room in frustration.

Sorry...derail...back on track. Also like the "old" Captain Jack.

Guys, tell me: does Rose ever return?

Bmwhtly
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Guys, tell me: does Rose ever return?Well, if you're watching the regenerated Master, you're in the last (three-part) episode of the series.

She doesn't come back this series. And I haven't heard of any plans to bring her back.

On a side note, Billie whats-her-name that plays Rose has a new series starting soon. In which she plays a *ahem* call girl.

Calla Lily
09-18-2007, 04:38 PM
THREE parts? Meh. I hate 2-parters.

A call girl? Oy. Not sorry I don't get BBC for that show.

Bmwhtly
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
THREE parts? Meh. I hate 2-parters.Well, it's the final battle between Doctor and Master. Not the sort of thing you want to squish into a single episode.

A call girl? Oy. Not sorry I don't get BBC for that show.I think it may be ITV.

Sage
09-29-2007, 04:41 AM
OMG. We finally got cable so I can watch the end of season 3 again. But they cut one of my favorite lines from this episode!

Bmwhtly
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
OMG. We finally got cable so I can watch the end of season 3 again. But they cut one of my favorite lines from this episode!they re-edit it? that's grotesque

childeroland
09-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I may have missed something, but is Saxon's wife human?

Evaine
09-30-2007, 02:34 PM
As far as we know....

Sage
10-01-2007, 07:08 AM
they re-edit it? that's grotesque
I agree. Still trying to figure out if it was cut because it wasn't important plot-wise & there are more commercials on SF than on BBC, or if it was because it implied that Jack is in love with the Doctor. Since I haven't seen any of the other SF airings, I don't know if they have been editing Jack heavily or if it just was a coincidence that that was what was cut.

travelgal
10-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Everyone seems to be in love with the Doc these days, and Jack seems to love anything that can talk.

I for one don't want Rose back. I thought she was cool in Season One; the dynamic between her and the Ninth was perfect; they balanced each other out since he was serious and intense.

With the Tenth; there was too much smug selfishness between those two. Martha was more suitable with her more analytical appraoch to things.

Evaine
10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Meanwhile, the Sarah Jane Adventures have started on children's BBC - and the local school has a Slytheen headmaster.
I enjoyed it, but then, I'd like to be Sarah Jane Smith.

Calla Lily
10-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I was at a concert last Sat. and only got to see Torchwood ep. 4 last night.

*ahem*

Barbecue sauce and a pterodactyl?! :ROFL: :roll: :Wha:

Bmwhtly
10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Ugh. Torchwood.

On the upside, it's only 2 months till the Dr Who special. The one with Ms Mine-Oh-Goo

Calla Lily
10-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Two months for YOU. Lord only knows when we'll see it in the States. &!#@!&@!#!

Calla Lily
10-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Finally saw the last ep of the season.

4 stars.

They definitely left a hold to bring the Master back--when wifey's hand with the candy-apple-red fingernails picked up his ring from the pyre ashes.

But...some parts were too copycat from me (the pyre, Martha turning into Mickey (the soldier saving the world). The Doctor-as-Jesus was amusing.

The Titanic busting through the Tardis was funny. But I thought it had a force field? So puzzled there.

Now for the 7-8 month wait for the Christmas special and the next season... Good thing I have 2 WIPs.

Bmwhtly
10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
They definitely left a hold to bring the Master back--when wifey's hand with the candy-apple-red fingernails picked up his ring from the pyre ashes.Possibly, or it may just mean that she'll return.

The Titanic busting through the Tardis was funny. But I thought it had a force field? So puzzled there.
Well, these things are fallible.
I seem to remember a Peter Davidson episode where something similar happened.

wordmonkey
10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
They definitely left a hold to bring the Master back--when wifey's hand with the candy-apple-red fingernails picked up his ring from the pyre ashes.

Actually there is a precedent set in the Dr Who radio/CD plays. Supposedly if a Time Lord refuses a regeneration death occurs. Followed by some kind of automatic regeneration where the gender of the Time Lord swaps. So there's every chance the candy-apple-red fingernails belonged to the Mast... Mistress?

Calla Lily
10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Cool.

wordmonkey
10-08-2007, 04:34 AM
'Course, the Master has also possessed/taken over someones body before, too.

Claudia Gray
10-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I really enjoyed the S3 finale too. Though I loved Rose, I think I now love Martha even more.

S4 can't come fast enough for me!

That gender-switch thing for the Master would be BRILLIANT, but wouldn't the Doctor know to anticipate that?

wordmonkey
10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
That gender-switch thing for the Master would be BRILLIANT, but wouldn't the Doctor know to anticipate that?

I don't know. Technically the Master is beyond his 13th regeneration (which supposedly sends time lords insane). But since he was killed in the movie version and seemingly brought back by the time lords to fight in the war with the daleks, that could all be up in the air.

Having given it some thought, I suspect it's the possession route. His "wife" mentions in a throw-away line, that after what Harry Saxon did for her father...

What did he do?

This is by far the smartest incarnation of the Master to date. And he set up plans within plans. Given his overwhelming desire for self preservation (as observed by the Doctor) suggests he had an escape plan worked out as well.

So it could be that he stows a part of him in her ailing father, then if things go wrong, she "kills him" he bumps the rest of him into the ring and she takes the ring to her father who is the new host to the Master.

He also mentions, while taughting the Doctor about his new empire, about a time lord/human race. "Haven't you always dreamed of that?"

Just a theory.

zahra
11-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Did I dream this, or did some paper report that John Simm was gonna be the next Doctor?

Zelenka
11-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Did I dream this, or did some paper report that John Simm was gonna be the next Doctor?

I saw that mentioned, yes. I think it was the Sun, though I'm not sure. They tend to have a lot of the Dr Who based rumours.