Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Geek alert: The hint is that the first epi of the next series is about the 'Titanic', but the Doctor present at the 'Titanic' was Chris Eccleston, not David T - in the very first episode, Mark Benton's 'Doctor-nerd' showed a photo of him....Ooh, bit of a boob there, Russell TD.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY HAPPY!!

Hi

A package arrive for me today. i though it was something from my cousin BUT NO it is finally my Dr. Who DVD's from Korea. YES! YES! They have finally arrived. Now I can enjoy some Dr. Who.

I am so happy!!!

Kev.

merper

Registered
Reaction score
I started watching the series a couple months ago. On season 3 now. The doctor himself is pretty interesting, but the plots can get so ridiculous at times. I know there have to be some throwbacks to the original from a time when stacked cardboard boxes was radical robot design, but are we supposed to keep a straight face when they try to play Daalecs as threatening? I mean some episodes can be incredible despite all the goofiness, like the one where they tried to save Rose's dad or the WW2 series or the one about LINDA, but then they bring in "Cybermen" and it goes to hell. Maybe there is some British thing I'm not getting.

I will say this though - I'm getting sick of them trying to beat in the message than extending human life is a bad thing. People having their body switched out for an indestructible metallic one will kill themselves in horror without an emotion suppression chip? Screw that, where can I sign up?

Also, Martha is so much better in every way than Rose. I almost stopped watching near the start of season 2, because I couldn't stand how giddy she acted.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I started watching the series a couple months ago. On season 3 now. The doctor himself is pretty interesting, but the plots can get so ridiculous at times. I know there have to be some throwbacks to the original from a time when stacked cardboard boxes was radical robot design, but are we supposed to keep a straight face when they try to play Daalecs as threatening? I mean some episodes can be incredible despite all the goofiness, like the one where they tried to save Rose's dad or the WW2 series or the one about LINDA, but then they bring in "Cybermen" and it goes to hell. Maybe there is some British thing I'm not getting.

I will say this though - I'm getting sick of them trying to beat in the message than extending human life is a bad thing. People having their body switched out for an indestructible metallic one will kill themselves in horror without an emotion suppression chip? Screw that, where can I sign up?

Also, Martha is so much better in every way than Rose. I almost stopped watching near the start of season 2, because I couldn't stand how giddy she acted.
Well, make the most of Martha...

Cardboard monsters aside, (and geeks like me aside, too) Dr Who is kind of a kids' programme, really. One sophisticated enough for adults to enjoy, but essentially, its remit remains 'family'. That's why they cooked up the (I think) lamentable Torchwood, for the grown folk.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And if you want one that's really a kid's show, wait for The Sarah Jane Adventures.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

Yawn ! I know for you guys these are very old episodes but for me in the wilds of Taiwan they are new.

DVD: Dr. Who - Chris Eccleson & Billie Piper
Ep 1:
Plastic monsters - plastic story - PLASTIC - I'm a bimbo girl in a bimbo world Plastic plastic Everything is plastic!!

#2 The last human! Story Stretched too thin!

#3 Charles dickens - Getting better but alas the Dr. as brainy & mind measurably superior (Soz slipped in to my War of the Worlds mode for a moment!!) does not engage brain. Maybe he is working on a higher plain or his brian is just out to lunch. It takes Charles Dickens to figure out how to a stop the gas bods.

# 4 & 5 Pigs in space!!! Not bad! Liked the story but thought the ending was too easy.

#6 Dalek - Much better. I really liked this one. Would it have been THAT bad if the Dalek had feelings? Is the Dr. boarderline phycotic? Quote: "You would have made a great Dalek" or something like that! - The last Dalek to Dr.

That's all i have watched so far. I like it and they do seem to be getting better.

More later
Kev

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I tend to tune out when it's too much science and futuristic monsters. The ones rooted in reality and people and the past are far better, I reckon. You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers? You've got lots to look forward to!

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Zarha

You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers?

YES WAY WAY WAY behind. Like I said they have not even heard of Dr Who over here in Taiwan!!!! I will get more DVD's later!!!

You've got lots to look forward to!

Goody Goody!!!!!

Kevvers (I like Kevvers is sounds good!)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
CBC showed part 2 of "Daleks in Manhattan" last night.

Um...if the good Doctor had access to the Daleks gigundo DNA machine that was going to turn all humans into Daleks, WHY couldn't he have reversed Lazlo's pig-face while he was saving his life?!?! Argh.

Oh, and they seriously needed to put one of those "acknowledgement to the works of" disclaimers after that 2-parter. Like: William Hope Hodgson's SF, Logan's Run, The Matrix, George Orwell...

All you UK folks--can you tell me if they get off the Dalek/Cybermen kick and 1) go to some OTHER PLANETS again and 2) invent some new villains?

Love the Doctor. Getting annoyed. Starting to with they'd bring back Rose to consummate this thwarted love thing.

(Okay, these are minor quibbles. Still thrilled the Doctor is available again.)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
While channel-flicking last night I happened to catch a re-run of Blink on sat channel UK Gold (uh... Season 3, episode 10... pretty recent) and was so entertained by the interplay between Carey Mulligan and Michael Obiora, which went on for a good little while, that I was actually annoyed when the Doctor and Martha appeared with their usual vacuous smiling chit-chat. Episode written by Steven Moffat of Coupling fame.

-Derek

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Geek alert: The hint is that the first epi of the next series is about the 'Titanic', but the Doctor present at the 'Titanic' was Chris Eccleston, not David T - in the very first episode, Mark Benton's 'Doctor-nerd' showed a photo of him....Ooh, bit of a boob there, Russell TD.
As it happens, the very first episode was on BBC3 yesterday.

The Doctor-Nerd does show a picture of Chris Eccleston, but he's not ON the titanic. He's shown with a family who are planning to sail on the Titanic, but change their mind after they meet the Doc. And since it looks like the Titanic runs into the Tardis, we can assume it already sailed. So, no danger of the two doctors running into each other.

Reaction score
I always wondered about the Titanic thing. It bugged me. I've only ever seen episode one once, and if I remembered it, I wondered how RTD could have overlooked that one.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys

What series is the Good Dr on now? How far am i behind? Hw many DVD's & what do i need to order?

Kevvers

Reaction score
One with the Eccleston and another two with the Tennant, plus two Christmas specials.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
God, lets hope not.

Yes!
Indeedy!
Who's excited?

Grrrrrr
Hey! I like Benny Hill! I was probably the only American 12 year old who got his nasty jokes & dry humor...okay...I was probably the only 12 year old kid up that late on a school night too...

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see an episode of Doctor Who where he runs into a previous incarnation of himself after going back in time.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'd love to see an episode of Doctor Who where he runs into a previous incarnation of himself after going back in time.
Given that the Time Lords aren't around to enforce their "It is forbidden (unless we arrange it, of course) for anyone to meet another version of oneself" law, maybe that'll happen.

-Derek

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Given that the Time Lords aren't around to enforce their "It is forbidden (unless we arrange it, of course) for anyone to meet another version of oneself" law, maybe that'll happen.

-Derek
Well the Doctor is around, so it may end up him having to punish himself/himselves.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The Doctor-Nerd does show a picture of Chris Eccleston, but he's not ON the titanic. He's shown with a family who are planning to sail on the Titanic, but change their mind after they meet the Doc. And since it looks like the Titanic runs into the Tardis, we can assume it already sailed. So, no danger of the two doctors running into each other.
Except the doctor also talks about being on another unsinkable ship & clinging to an iceberg in the second episode.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Zarha

You ARE far behind, aren't you, Kevvers?

YES WAY WAY WAY behind. Like I said they have not even heard of Dr Who over here in Taiwan!!!! I will get more DVD's later!!!

You've got lots to look forward to!

Goody Goody!!!!!

Kevvers (I like Kevvers is sounds good!)
I hope you weren't making fun of my British accent, young man. Why are you in Taiwan?

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Except the doctor also talks about being on another unsinkable ship & clinging to an iceberg in the second episode.
OK, sooooo....One incarnation of the doc stays and one sails...??? Do we think? Must be. He's CE when he sends the family off to safety, and then from in the future when he's DT, he goes back and finds himself on the ship.

Oh, somebody ask Russell. I've got the tea to make.