Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
They said the next companion will be a big name
That may be referring to the Christmas special (Which carries on directly from the season finale, Titanic and All).
The radiobox just said who the companion at Christmas would be.

Want to know?

Really?

Maybe I shouldn't tell you.

Well, OK. Kylie.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not bad. I didn't warm to Martha, really, but I didn't warm to Rose for a few episodes either.
I had the same reaction. I was still so sad to lose Rose, & my friends (who downloaded it & watched it b4 me) were, like, "we love Martha" right from the beginning, while I was like, "Yeah, she's nice, but I miss Rose." After the full third season, I like them about equally, but for different reasons.

Like how the Doctor pines for Rose just a bit.
Um, good. As Bmwhtly said, get used to it.

We get the Shakespeare episode next week. (DON'T TELL ME!) Hope it'll be as decent as the Eccleston Dickens episode was.
Personally, I liked the Shakespeare ep better than the Dickens ep.

Well, I always thought Tennant was kinda like Tom Baker on Crack. But that may just be me.
Yeah, my roommate's parents have old Doctor Who eps on tape & we've been watching Tom Baker, & thought that Tennant was very similar. (Of course, we also find some nice similarities w/ Mal from Firefly/Serenity, & that's not even because of the browncoat)

BTW, I just downloaded the CD last night off Itunes, & the music is gorgeous. Sadly, only the first two seasons (still over 30 songs, & most a good length too) because the third season has some really good music, but still a beautiful soundtrack.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Kylie is gonna be the person in the Christmas episode and the rumour at the studio is that Catherine Tate will be the assistant for the next season, in all the episodes with Martha returning for the last six of them (would have to confirm that for you though).

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Kylie is gonna be the person in the Christmas episode and the rumour at the studio is that Catherine Tate will be the assistant for the next season, in all the episodes with Martha returning for the last six of them (would have to confirm that for you though).
I heard that Catherine Tate will be in it for four episodes. PLaying the Runaway Bride again.
Nuts. I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played.

Ah well, it's not till next year.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Kylie and Catherine Tate.

I feel that Dcotor Who and I are about to break up. It was nice while it lasted, but the Respondent has changed and I fear we are no longer compatible.

Kylie 'Ridiculous Face-Lift, Indifferent Actress' Minogue. Catherine 'Annoying In the Xmas Episode' Tate.

Freema was a far better actress than Billie, far prettier than Billie and Catherine and Kylie, and unlike Catherine Tate, didn't sink an episode quicker than an elephant on a rubber ducky. And yet, after one series, they get rid. I'd really like to know why.

Majorly pissed off.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Catherine Tate will be in it for four episodes. PLaying the Runaway Bride again.
Nuts. I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played.

Ah well, it's not till next year.
Yep, couldn't agree more, I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played, let's hope the writing in the next season compensates for that. I still have to confirm that Tate is in all episodes though.

ETA: yep it's true, Tate will be in all 13 episodes of the next series :( .

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yep, couldn't agree more, I don't like Catherine Tate or the character she played, let's hope the writing in the next season compensates for that. I still have to confirm that Tate is in all episodes though.

ETA: yep it's true, Tate will be in all 13 episodes of the next series :( .

Ugh. So I should enjoy the season that y'all have seen every episode of while it lasts?

Shakespeare was delightful. Loved the HP references. Getting a little tired of the mouthful-of-fangs villains already. Some costume designer have a think against decent teeth?

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Martha is moving over to Torchwood for a few episodes - I really hope she doesn't get off with the doctor who has the face of a wide-mouthed frog.
But it is nice that they are tying the two series together a bit more.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, we DON'T GET Torchwood here in the states.

>grumble, mumble, rant, gripe<
Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I thought Torchwood was really rather... ummm... (what's the polite way of saying lousy) ... ummm... Inferior.
And, as someone said earlier, it would've been easier to shoot an actual Tourist Information film.

Reaction score
Torchwood has The Barrowman. That is all that is needed to keep Nichola happy. Don't diss the Torchwood.

Thank you.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Posted too slow. Y'all across the water are much more awale than I. I'm only 1/4 into the first cup of coffee. My laughing guy was in response to Bmwhitly. scarletpeaches, who's the Barrowman?

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I thought Torchwood was really rather... ummm... (what's the polite way of saying lousy) ... ummm... Inferior.
And, as someone said earlier, it would've been easier to shoot an actual Tourist Information film.

Oh, Torch-bloody-wood makes me tired!

It's like a grown-up Dr Who by someone who thinks being grown-up only requires lots of sex and swearing, the stories are often too puerile for the remit of 'adult sci-fi', the lead woman is irritating as hell and John Barrowman just does not have the depth to carry a series. Sorry, he doesn't. He is too light-weight. Song-and-dance man who got lucky, is my opinion.

I do like the young techie boy in it, the one with the 'tragic girlfriend-secret' (don't want to do a spoiler, so that's all I'll say) but Burn Gorman, the one who is (inexplicably) supposed to be the one everyone in the team fancies, is miscast, but the BBC likes him, so there we are.

The BBC seems to have resurrected the institution of rep companies, previously applicable only to theatres - it has a pool of actors it throws things at, regardless of their suitability - and the younger members of the 'Bleak House' cast seem to be the newest sign-ups.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Oh, Torch-bloody-wood makes me tired!

It's like a grown-up Dr Who by someone who thinks being grown-up only requires lots of sex and swearing, the stories are often too puerile for the remit of 'adult sci-fi', the lead woman is irritating as hell and John Barrowman just does not have the depth to carry a series. Sorry, he doesn't. He is too light-weight. Song-and-dance man who got lucky, is my opinion.

I do like the young techie boy in it, the one with the 'tragic girlfriend-secret' (don't want to do a spoiler, so that's all I'll say) but Burn Gorman, the one who is (inexplicably) supposed to be the one everyone in the team fancies, is miscast, but the BBC likes him, so there we are.

Gee, tell us how you really feel... :ROFL:

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
You should have heard me when 'Blair Witch' came out...;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Torchwood got better towards the end of the season, as they switched the focus a little more towards Jack & a little less on Gwen. I don't like her much, nor Owen. At least I now have a reason for why Owen is so popular, but he does nothing for me visually (I thought he looked more like a monkey than anything else) & is annoying to boot. Really Jack & Yanto are the only ones I like, though Tosh isn't too bad.

I do agree w/ Torchwood being more "grown-up" than Doctor Who. I kinda compare them to Angel & Buffy (the series, not characters). Angel was darker, more serious, more "down to business" than Buffy, IMO. I see Torchwood that way too.

I wish Jack would stay w/ the Doctor. He is a much better character as a sidekick than as boss. I was willing to accept the change in his character on Torchwood as being a result of what Rose did to him & being left behind & what happened in between then & Torchwood, but then he came back to DW, & was pretty much the same ol' Jack.

I :heart: Captain Jack Harkness, btw. His presence alone keeps me watching Torchwood. Hopefully, next season will be less Gwen/Owen-oriented & more Jack-oriented.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I agree - more of Capt Jack using Torchwood as a tribute to the Doctor, and less of everyone having sex with everyone else.

I think my favourite episode was probably the one where the plane from the 1950s arrived in the present - the looks on the girls' faces when they realised what tea bags were for was priceless!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I wish Jack would stay w/ the Doctor. He is a much better character as a sidekick than as boss.

They usually cast the sidekick as an oposite personality from the doctor. Sarah Jane and the kilted guy were practical, Tom Baker wild-and-crazy. Jo Grant a little silly, John Pertwee serious with a capital S. Christopher Eccleston angsty and grim, Rose goofy and flighty--Jack happy-go-lucky.

So Jack won't work with Tennant-and neither does Roas, alas. I saw ther doom coming in the werewolf episode--the one that initiated Torchwood--when Rose and the Doctor got all "eeee!" over the fact of a werewolf.

Alas, maybe that's why they're bringing back Miss Runaway Bride. She's the polar oposite of Tennant's characterization.

Alas.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You may enjoy it, but I was bored and started forgetting to watch it by about halfway through.
Some interesting ideas but on the whole... naff.
Official nod of agreement.

-Derek