The Latest from Thomas Kinkade, the Painter of Light (TM)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Have you seen what the Painter of Light (TM) is up to now?...
http://suisan.blogspot.com/2007/03/faith-mountain.html

And a closeup view.

Wow. Just ... wow. And I'm not making fun of the religious aspects of it.
Hey, if some people think a Thomas Kinkade figurine or painting helps them in their faith (or just looks pretty), that's fine. But I can't imagine that figurine being anything but a distraction.

And I don't hate Thomas Kinkade as much as many people. I had one of his calendars one year, and it didn't make my brain burn. (OK, I had it because they were selling off the remaining calendars in February, and it was the best calendar in the dollar bin.) But now I'm getting sick of seeing his stuff everywhere. Sheesh, there are even novels bearing his name (and the name of the "co-author"). I think I find the concept of Thomas Kinkade novels more annoying than the figurine.
:Shrug:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone please tie my hands before I post a link to a sex-toy every bit as artistic...

Maryn, who does not want to be banned (but will respond to PMs)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear...

That would fit right into the catalog I got in from a craft place awhile back, just in time for Easter. They featured, among other things, little Crusading Knight costumes for the kids, complete with plastic sword, helmet and breastplate with cross, and a little Resurrection Playset that was, yeah, pretty much what it sounded like. Not that it's any of my business to judge how anyone chooses to express his or her faith, but those two items just struck me as being rather - well, odd.

My father likes Kinkade's paintings, and some of them really are quite pretty, but I'm not sure about the idea of him as a writer, ghosted or otherwise....

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
That's one heck of a gaudy, tacky and obnoxious sculpture.

I'm assuming it has a hefty price-tag, which would mean the people who might actually want it, wouldn't be able to afford it.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
i want a tagline, too--something as catchy/kitchy as "painter of light". hmmmm...

Rhonda Stapleton
Writer of Crack
Author of Insanity

I'm going to have to work on that.

About the statue thingie? Overpriced tripe for me, but I know some people LOVE his work...

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Oh goody. Look it. Another knick-knack my relatives will buy for their shelves. Right next to resin Lighthouses, Dragons and other stuff they find in the mail.

Now that's what I call selling your religion. They're just cashing in on his name and the season. That's all.

How do you think Lenox got so popular?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Other than saying that I still need to write my crime thriller "painter of darkness" in which Thomas Kinkaide stops an evil serial killer who murders people who own original Kinkaides... I got nothing.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Other than saying that I still need to write my crime thriller "painter of darkness" in which Thomas Kinkaide stops an evil serial killer who murders people who own original Kinkaides... I got nothing.
:Wha:
I actually want to read that! What does that say about me? :tongue

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you, Anne...I'd read that, too...

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Just goes to show how religious I am, at first glance I thought it was a Christmas tree.

That looks like a fun blog to read (the comments are great), I'm going to book mark her.

Thanks!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a christmas tree, too...

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hee, Kate and Rhonda, great minds!:)

Hmmm perhaps that was a diabolical marketing plan on ol' Tom's part. Hit two major religious holidays with one grossly expensive, glow in the dark, hugely tacky, mantle eyesore.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Kinkade is an artistic sellout if there ever was one. I'm sure if satan commisioned a painting, Kinkade would be all over that action. :Soapbox:
What's sad is that he's an amazing painter. Too bad he cheapened his art by putting it on calanders and coffee mugs.
I mean, grats for making a buck, man, but do you really think that Monet would have made a horrid figurine of Christ to make some G's?
This kind of thing makes me want to cry. :cry:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Looks more like somethng by Hieronymus Bosch, to me.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Thomas Kinkade should have his ass cracked with a wet towel full of gelignite.

What a saccharine hack!

You know, religion used to inspire real art---Milton, Blake, Donne. Nowadays, all it produces is nauseating treacle. Now, pardon me! I'm going to go swab my eyeballs with undiluted bleach.

Yours in Christ

[to self: Gee, I wonder if I came on too strong? Oh, well! ]

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
What I like about this piece is that the artist's restraint has left it completely unadorned.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Thomas Kinkade should have his ass cracked with a wet towel full of gelignite.

What a saccharine hack!

You know, religion used to inspire real art---Milton, Blake, Donne. Nowadays, all it produces is nauseating treacle. Now, pardon me! I'm going to go swab my eyeballs with undiluted bleach.

Yours in Christ

With much respect, while certainly Kinkaide's work is commercial, there's no denying its quality. And while you may find it nauseating, there's no denying that it is real art. Heavily marketed and well-sold art, but still.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have never been, nor ever will be, a fan of Kinkaide's work. It's all far too busy for me.

This certainly doesn't change my mind. ICK.