PDA

View Full Version : The Latest from Thomas Kinkade, the Painter of Light (TM)

AnneMarble
03-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Have you seen what the Painter of Light (TM) is up to now?...
http://suisan.blogspot.com/2007/03/faith-mountain.html (http://suisan.blogspot.com/2007/03/faith-mountain.html)

And a closeup view (http://bp1.blogger.com/_s1KQ0A1oX-k/Rggv2VbekQI/AAAAAAAAAIE/qmb7ewL2Og4/s1600-h/Faith+Mountain.jpg).

Wow. Just ... wow. And I'm not making fun of the religious aspects of it.
Hey, if some people think a Thomas Kinkade figurine or painting helps them in their faith (or just looks pretty), that's fine. But I can't imagine that figurine being anything but a distraction.

And I don't hate Thomas Kinkade as much as many people. I had one of his calendars one year, and it didn't make my brain burn. (OK, I had it because they were selling off the remaining calendars in February, and it was the best calendar in the dollar bin.) But now I'm getting sick of seeing his stuff everywhere. Sheesh, there are even novels bearing his name (and the name of the "co-author"). I think I find the concept of Thomas Kinkade novels more annoying than the figurine.
:Shrug:

Maryn
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Someone please tie my hands before I post a link to a sex-toy every bit as artistic...

Maryn, who does not want to be banned (but will respond to PMs)

Pagey's_Girl
03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh dear...

That would fit right into the catalog I got in from a craft place awhile back, just in time for Easter. They featured, among other things, little Crusading Knight costumes for the kids, complete with plastic sword, helmet and breastplate with cross, and a little Resurrection Playset that was, yeah, pretty much what it sounded like. Not that it's any of my business to judge how anyone chooses to express his or her faith, but those two items just struck me as being rather - well, odd.

My father likes Kinkade's paintings, and some of them really are quite pretty, but I'm not sure about the idea of him as a writer, ghosted or otherwise....

Perks
03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Thomas Kinkade is the Brittney Spears of schmaltzy quasi-religious junk. Blech.

eldragon
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
That's one heck of a gaudy, tacky and obnoxious sculpture.

I'm assuming it has a hefty price-tag, which would mean the people who might actually want it, wouldn't be able to afford it.

Kate Thornton
03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Junk.

Expensive, useless junk.

And the calendars make my teeth hurt.

giftedrhonda
03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
i want a tagline, too--something as catchy/kitchy as "painter of light". hmmmm...

Rhonda Stapleton
Writer of Crack
Author of Insanity

I'm going to have to work on that.

About the statue thingie? Overpriced tripe for me, but I know some people LOVE his work...

Elincoln
03-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh goody. Look it. Another knick-knack my relatives will buy for their shelves. Right next to resin Lighthouses, Dragons and other stuff they find in the mail.

Now that's what I call selling your religion. They're just cashing in on his name and the season. That's all.

How do you think Lenox got so popular?

dclary
03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Other than saying that I still need to write my crime thriller "painter of darkness" in which Thomas Kinkaide stops an evil serial killer who murders people who own original Kinkaides... I got nothing.

AnneMarble
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Other than saying that I still need to write my crime thriller "painter of darkness" in which Thomas Kinkaide stops an evil serial killer who murders people who own original Kinkaides... I got nothing.
:Wha:
I actually want to read that! What does that say about me? :tongue

giftedrhonda
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm with you, Anne...I'd read that, too...

kikazaru
03-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Just goes to show how religious I am, at first glance I thought it was a Christmas tree.

That looks like a fun blog to read (the comments are great), I'm going to book mark her.

Thanks!

giftedrhonda
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought it was a christmas tree, too...

Kate Thornton
03-27-2007, 11:27 PM
OMG! I thought it was a Christmas tree too!

dclary - I want to read that book!!! "Painter of Darkness" is a terrific title!

kikazaru
03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Hee, Kate and Rhonda, great minds!:)

Hmmm perhaps that was a diabolical marketing plan on ol' Tom's part. Hit two major religious holidays with one grossly expensive, glow in the dark, hugely tacky, mantle eyesore.

Ali B
03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Kinkade is an artistic sellout if there ever was one. I'm sure if satan commisioned a painting, Kinkade would be all over that action. :Soapbox:
What's sad is that he's an amazing painter. Too bad he cheapened his art by putting it on calanders and coffee mugs.
I mean, grats for making a buck, man, but do you really think that Monet would have made a horrid figurine of Christ to make some G's?
This kind of thing makes me want to cry. :cry:

arrowqueen
03-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Looks more like somethng by Hieronymus Bosch, to me.

thethinker42
03-28-2007, 01:21 AM
OMG, it actually looks like TK ate a bunch of his own work and then took a giant DUMP.

Celia Cyanide
03-28-2007, 02:23 AM
/9hfjfbfbifdfrburfbrfbirfgiouirfheuiprfhewuphrfuipr heuiprfhwuiprfhhrfiphrfphreprfhuiprfhewrpfhhrfphrf prfhpwhrepre

Lantern Jack
03-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Thomas Kinkade should have his ass cracked with a wet towel full of gelignite.

What a saccharine hack!

You know, religion used to inspire real art---Milton, Blake, Donne. Nowadays, all it produces is nauseating treacle. Now, pardon me! I'm going to go swab my eyeballs with undiluted bleach.

Yours in Christ

[to self: Gee, I wonder if I came on too strong? Oh, well! ]

clockwork
03-28-2007, 02:33 AM
What I like about this piece is that the artist's restraint has left it completely unadorned.

dclary
03-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Thomas Kinkade should have his ass cracked with a wet towel full of gelignite.

What a saccharine hack!

You know, religion used to inspire real art---Milton, Blake, Donne. Nowadays, all it produces is nauseating treacle. Now, pardon me! I'm going to go swab my eyeballs with undiluted bleach.

Yours in Christ

With much respect, while certainly Kinkaide's work is commercial, there's no denying its quality. And while you may find it nauseating, there's no denying that it is real art. Heavily marketed and well-sold art, but still.

AmyDoodle
03-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Man, the theme for the April contest over in the Freelance thread is controversy. If I could borrow this blog just for a few days, victory would be mine!

kristie911
03-28-2007, 04:58 AM
I have never been, nor ever will be, a fan of Kinkaide's work. It's all far too busy for me.

This certainly doesn't change my mind. ICK.

Shadow_Ferret
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
That is pretty cool. Looks like it might be the 14 stations of the cross. I wonder how much it costs. Can I get it at my local Hallmark store?

kristie911
03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Can I get it at my local Hallmark store?

Do they sell junk, um shit, um stuff like that at Hallmark?

Julian Black
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Thomas Kinkade should have his ass cracked with a wet towel full of gelignite.[...][dies laughing]

Kinkade styles himself "The Painter of Light." "The Painter of Shite" is more like it.

You know, religion used to inspire real art---Milton, Blake, Donne.Not to mention Michaelangelo, Fra Angelico, Giotto, Raphael, Titian....I could go on. Sit through a couple of semesters of art history, and it's obvious that much of the greatest art ever created was, if not explicitly religious, at least inspired by religious ideals.

Kinkade is the visual equivalent of televangelism. Especially those "prosperity preachers" who claim Jesus wants you--yes, you!--to be rich. (And you will be, after you've sent in your "seed money" and prayed really, really hard...)

Lantern Jack
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
With much respect, while certainly Kinkaide's work is commercial, there's no denying its quality. And while you may find it nauseating, there's no denying that it is real art. Heavily marketed and well-sold art, but still.

:) Art---true art, that is---consists of originality, depth and idiosyncrasy. Kinkade's work has none of these. A picture of a cottage, a cobbled bridge in a sunny, little thorpe. This is the type of bland stuff a moderately-talented, completely unimaginative art student paints in some community college. It's mediocre to the nth degree.

Here's a list of some true artists:

Salvador Dali
Frida Kahlo
Heironymus Bosch
William Blake

These folk are wildly original. The stuff that comes out of their heads is like some warped fun house of psychadelic phantasmagoria. Thomas Kinkade's stuff, on the other hand, recalls the Wallace Steven poem about the dull people who dream of rings of blue, yellow and green, whereas the above folk dream of naught but tigers in red weather.

True artists have the guts to fly in the face of convention, to be truly themselves, their nightmares and their dark poetries together. Kinkade has none of that. I know it in my brains, I know it in my bones, I know it in my balls.

I just...know it.

Plus, real art is, by its nature, anti-commercial, something you could never say of Kinkade. And I think the ultimate proof of the non-aesthetic nature of his work is that it appeals mainly to uncultured rubes. Every puritanical, Elvis-loving dullard I've ever had the misfortune of being force-friended, their houses were all wall-to-wall Kinkade---wallpaper, drapes, comforters.

It's not art. It's not even kitsch. It's blah. It's beige. It's tepid dishwater. I don't know. I just pride myself on having a little kernel of knowing inside me that burns hot when I hit upon something that isn't artful. And it's positively scalding me right now:)

poetinahat
03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Compositionally, this thing reminds me, in a bizarre way, of last year's winner of Australia's Archibald Prize for portraits:

http://www.artnewsblog.com/images/archibald-prize-2006.jpg

which, in turn, was patterned after this piece:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Gheerhaets_Allegory_iconoclasm.jpg/180px-Gheerhaets_Allegory_iconoclasm.jpg

And both remind me of Bosch.

The Commatose Kidd
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
tk's paintings are art, just very unremarkable art- very unimportant to art history. the aforementioned 'original' artists [dali etc.] were important to art history. they were myth makers- tk is a myth perpetuator... more a craftsman than an artist. artists do experiments, craftsmen repeat what they know. but consumate craftsmen are called 'artist'- anyone who does something very well is called an artist of their craft [dclary's 'quality'?].

t.k. is a sappy leroy neiman- a complete sellout.
what cracks me up is when someone says they bought a tk painting as an investment.
the guy now has subs make his paintings. he makes a couple highlight strokes and signs his name- he markets hundreds a year... pretty hard to have them go up in value when you flood the market like that. not that they would go up much in value anyway, the only artists whos works really go up in value are 'ground breakers'- for they affect art history.
but people like his sappy snow covered cabins with the smoke coming out the fireplace flue.... they can envision the inside of the cabin with a puppy dog curled up in front of the fire, and steaming hot toddy's to keep the occupants all warm and fuzzy- emotional tripe... makes me want to gag.

Inkdaub
03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the faith mountain is awesome.

Pagey's_Girl
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Is this the poem Jack was talking about?

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/154.html

Lantern Jack
03-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Is this the poem Jack was talking about?

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/154.html

Bingo!

I was referencing 'Disillusionment at 10 O'clock,' one of my favorite WS poems, a fantastic example of his hugely symbolic poetry, not to mention the deadening convention of the bourgeois, versus the wild imaginings of those living on the raw and naked edge.

As a sub-tangent on this thread, who are the Thomas Kinkades in other artistic mediums?

dclary
03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Bingo!

I was referencing 'Disillusionment at 10 O'clock,' one of my favorite WS poems, a fantastic example of his hugely symbolic poetry, not to mention the deadening convention of the bourgeois, versus the wild imaginings of those living on the raw and naked edge.

As a sub-tangent on this thread, who are the Thomas Kinkades in other artistic mediums?

Ravel was clearly the Kinkaide of his generation.

dclary
03-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Plus, real art is, by its nature, anti-commercial
Which would explain why many of the greatest pieces of art in existence today were commissioned works?

Shadow_Ferret
03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Do they sell junk, um shit, um stuff like that at Hallmark?
Don't they? I assumed it was holiday related. They sell holiday specific things. I would think they'd sell something as cool as that.

Lantern Jack
03-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Which would explain why many of the greatest pieces of art in existence today were commissioned works?

And five times as many were plucked out of the feverish brains of mad geniuses, who didn't manage to sell more than a few panels until many years after their untimely deaths, whereupon they reaped a wicked dividend. I guess the true irony of art, that deepest of dreams, is that it only becomes profitable long after the dreamer is dead. Then again, a work commissioned for a single individual, where the artist is allowed to go nuts, is wholly different than assembly-line art designed for mass consumption.

I think the problem here is in the definition of commercial. Commerical, as I originally intended it, is that which can be marketed for the general public. Since great art is violently radical in its technical aspects, it pretty much drives away the rubes, appealing only to the high-brow muckety-mucks and the enlightened.