Nashville

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'll be in Nashville, TN for a few days. Never been there before. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'll be in Nashville, TN for a few days. Never been there before. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do?

My husband and I visited the Grand Ole Opry and Country Music Hall of Fame, but we didn't have time to do/see much else (we were on the last leg of a cross-country trip, and he had to report to his ship in a few days). They were interesting if you're into country music (which we are).

That's about all I can remember of Nashville, honestly.

I was still too busy fuming about how much I hated Memphis to notice much in Nashville...LOL

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
The Wildhorse Saloon is pretty cool, and you should really visit the Country Music Hall of Fame, even if you don't really like country music. If you don't mind leaving Nashville, drive down to Lynchburg and visit the Jack Daniels Distillery. It's pretty cool if you've never actually been, and you'll be about 15 from my house.

There are a couple of cafes where songwriter's hang out and perform, but the names escape me right now. I've got them listed at work, so I'll check there and get back to you tomorrow.

If you like shopping, check out Opry Mills. It's a great mall. Taking a drive through downtown is pretty cool, too, just to see the Batman building.

The Parthenon is a great place to visit, too. It's features a replica of the statue of Athena. Also the Hermitage, which was Andrew Jackson's home, is another good place to go. If you'd like to take in a show of some sort, TPAC always has something going on. It stands for the Tennessee Performing Arts Center.

For good food, go to the Loveless Cafe. You can't beat it. I think you'll have a good time.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Parthenon sounds like something I'd like to see. Not much of a country music fan, but wouldn't mind to hang out with songwriters. What Batman building?

Will check out Loveless Cafe.

Thanks! Keep it coming.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
The Batman building is the BellSouth Building. It resembles the mask Batman wore. It's the tallest building in Tennessee.

My freshman year of high school, we went to the Parthenon while we were studying mythology in English class. It was a great trip. I think my mom still has the photographs I took.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Nashville, Ray. When are you coming?

Here's a few things that haven't been mentioned (in no order): Cheekwood is nice this time of year, very beautiful; there's a couple of car museums around here; the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, nice grounds and old buildings; the Frist has an exhibit on Impressionists; Riverfront Park/Lower Broad/Second Avenue has a few interesting places; the Bluebird Cafe, featured in the movie The Thing Called Love; the General Jackson showboat; a drive down part of the Natchez Trace Parkway . . . it's like a park you drive through; Hillsboro Village and Music Row; and a couple of book places: David-Kidd and Elders.

The Country Music Hall of Fame has a few things that are not country music related; it might be worth seeing. And the Parthenon is located in Centennial Park . . . which . . . is full of Vanderbilt coeds laying out in the sun. ;-)

It's been unusually warm here for the past few days (highs in the mid-80s). I think it's predicted to continue to be warm. You might pack some summer clothes.

A bit of trivia: I drew the structural plans for the BellSouth (Batman) building; and the original plans for Riverfront Park.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And my sister is headed to Nashville very soon, too. I think the first or second week of April. She goes there every year for a conference in relation to her job. (at least that's what she says)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And my sister is headed to Nashville very soon, too. I think the first or second week of April. She goes there every year for a conference in relation to her job. (at least that's what she says)
Oh, she just comes to attend the annual Sure-Shot Rabbit Hunters club meeting.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thursday through Saturday. If you like, we can grab some lunch or something.
I'll send you my e-mail addresses and phone number. I've got a busy weekend coming up but we might be able to work something out.

I don't live far from the Loveless Cafe (or the Natchez Trace). Still, I'm not sure I would have recommended it to you . . . unless you love ham, biscuits, and homestyle jams.

What's your main interests besides writing? . . . we might be able to do a better job of suggesting some places to visit.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, she just comes to attend the annual Sure-Shot Rabbit Hunters club meeting.

Yeah, that must be it. The rest of the time she's learning about how to sell men's shoes. She's seen a lot of feet in her time.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that must be it. The rest of the time she's learning about how to sell men's shoes. She's seen a lot of feet in her time.
There's a conference for selling men's shoes? What . . . the pros and cons of wingtip vs. tassel loafers?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to tell you the truth, I don't know exactly what they talk about.

She is the manager for a men's shoes store. They have annual sales meetings in Nashville. My sister looks forward to her trip every year. Must be a fun place to go.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to tell you the truth, I don't know exactly what they talk about.

She is the manager for a men's shoes store. They have annual sales meetings in Nashville. My sister looks forward to her trip every year. Must be a fun place to go.
Probably one of the Genesco groups. My father worked for Genesco for 20 years (not in sales however).

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'll send you my e-mail addresses and phone number. I've got a busy weekend coming up but we might be able to work something out.

I don't live far from the Loveless Cafe (or the Natchez Trace). Still, I'm not sure I would have recommended it to you . . . unless you love ham, biscuits, and homestyle jams.

What's your main interests besides writing? . . . we might be able to do a better job of suggesting some places to visit.

I like the Loveless Cafe for their ham and biscuits, lol. That's why I recommended it. I had forgotten about Cheekwood, but it really is pretty this time of the year.

And the exhibit at the Frist Center is wonderful. I wasn't able to go to the media day, but I sent another of our reporters. He did a story and was able to get some digital copies of the artwork. I ran a huge front page spread in Lifestyles about it. I'm planning to go myself in a few weeks.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first cousin is a record producer in Nashville. He used to be part of that group Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first cousin is a record producer in Nashville. He used to be part of that group Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
I remember them. Vaguely. Had some hit titled Jimmy Dandy, didn't they?