Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
So what do you think about this? Warner Books has announced that they are changing their name go Grand Central Publishing. There's also a blog entry about it here.

Of course, most people aren't going to walk into a bookstore and say "I'm looking for my favorite Warner books authors, but all I can find are books published by Grand Central Publishing." ;)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
For the purposes of justifying and retaining high paying jobs, it's brilliant. Otherwise, someone might eventually tumble to the fact the people who thought this up are actually superfluous.

"We've got to protect our phony baloney jobs, gentlemen!" -- Governor Le Petomane

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
So what do you think about this? Warner Books has announced that they are changing their name go Grand Central Publishing. There's also a blog entry about it here.
When I read this the other day, I thought "Oh, an April Fool's joke." Then I realized it wasn't April yet.

I think this is bizarre. Why would you go to all the trouble of re-branding yourself when you already have an established brand name? Sure, not much of an issue for the public, but it will be for booksellers and sales staff. Seems like a big waste of money to me--and it's not like publishers these days are rolling in profits.

- Victoria

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well, I was always under the impression that Warner Books was owned by the larger Time-Warner company. Perhaps they're not anymore? I don't actually know.

It's a strange choice in name change, I thought. I wouldn't equate Warner Books with Grand Central Publishing. The latter sounds like an indie publisher, or a POD.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Well, I was always under the impression that Warner Books was owned by the larger Time-Warner company. Perhaps they're not anymore? I don't actually know.
I think the bigger company sold Warner Books, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the name change. Maybe it did. Maybe Warner Books was poked with a sharp stick -- or carrot ;) -- and told to change their name.

It's a strange choice in name change, I thought. I wouldn't equate Warner Books with Grand Central Publishing. The latter sounds like an indie publisher, or a POD.
Oooh, you're right, it does. :D

When I see that name, I think the books are going to come off the shelves and beg for money. Although I guess the crime novels will try to pick my pocket...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grand Central Books sounds to me like a cavernous place with a smattering of homeless guys asleep at its borders, smelling faintly of urine at all times.

If I had to re-brand Warner, I'd have done better. But no-o-o, nobody asked me.

Maryn, miffed

Status
Not open for further replies.