poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
stupid republicans.

don't they know you just take the stand and say "i don't recall" 270 times?

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Or-

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! I am going to put the system on trial! Attica! Attica!" - President Thrilly at his own impeachment proceedings, 2026.

Reaction score
Or-

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! I am going to put the system on trial! Attica! Attica!" - President Thrilly at his own impeachment proceedings, 2026.

Two years in?!

It'll be six years before anyone has a clue as to what might have been going on.

And then I'll "rope-a-dope(dems)," for the remaining two years.

And leave with a speech to what remains of the American public from my underground bunker at Mt. Weather.

"We did a lot of good things."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
stupid republicans.

don't they know you just take the stand and say "i don't recall" 270 times?

You're closer to correct here than you know, Hask. If I'm not mistaken, all that has to happen is for the Committee chairman to make the witness immune to prosecution, and she'll no longer be able to use the Fifth Amendment. In which case, if she doesn't answer truthfully under oath, it's perjury, and if she refuses to answer, it's contempt. This tactic has been used many times before, and would certainly seem appropriate here. I don't think anybody is really interested in prosecuting the goodly Ms. Goodling, but they do want to know what she knows, and what that reflects on the credibility of the Attorney General of the United States. Right now, he ain't got none of that left. It's gonna be some work rebuilding even a smidgeon of it, and this doesn't help.

I imagine Joe Scarborough is livid. His basic frustration, expressed vividly a couple of weeks ago, is "Why do these people have such difficulty simply telling the truth?"

caw

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
You're closer to correct here than you know, Hask. If I'm not mistaken, all that has to happen is for the Committee chairman to make the witness immune to prosecution, and she'll no longer be able to use the Fifth Amendment. In which case, if she doesn't answer truthfully under oath, it's perjury, and if she refuses to answer, it's contempt. This tactic has been used many times before, and would certainly seem appropriate here. I don't think anybody is really interested in prosecuting the goodly Ms. Goodling, but they do want to know what she knows, and what that reflects on the credibility of the Attorney General of the United States. Right now, he ain't got none of that left. It's gonna be some work rebuilding even a smidgeon of it, and this doesn't help.

I imagine Joe Scarborough is livid. His basic frustration, expressed vividly a couple of weeks ago, is "Why do these people have such difficulty simply telling the truth?"

caw

She doesn't even have to plead the Fifth. While the committee has the power to issue subpoenas, I don't think they can themselves bring charges for failure to comply. They can, however, authorize a special prosecutor to bring charges, seek out a bench warrant, etc.

Also, this is a hearing, not a criminal procedure. The Fifth covers a few things, including nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, but it really doesn't apply in this instance (I don't think).

Frankly, if they're not prepared to give me the Sixth, there ain't no way I'm going to hurt my reputation by claiming the Fifth. Basically, I'm saying they can kiss my ass. Or not. It's up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.