PDA

View Full Version : US Navy & Marriage

cmckenziemitchinson
03-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi All,
About a decade ago, I worked at Portsmouth Naval Hospital (as a civilian). During that time one of my co-workers married an enlisted man for the sake of her getting health insurance and him getting a pay raise. Can anyone tell me what an unmarried petty officer and a married petty officer make per year? I am interested in using this info in a book, but I can't remember what the pay raise percentage was and even if I could, I'm sure it's changed since then. I would like to set my story in 2005-2006, so if possible I'd like to know the rate then.
Thanks,
Christy

Histry Nerd
03-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Christy -

You can find the pay charts for all branches of the U.S. armed forces online. The Navy pay chart for 2006 is here (http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf). You can see the chart gives actual numbers, rather than percentages. The numbers you want to compare are the "Without Dependents" (unmarried) and "With Dependents" (Married) columns.

I think a Petty Officer is an E-6.

HN

waylander
03-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Interesting info but I think the question referred to HM forces not US Forces

jclarkdawe
03-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Petty officer third class is an E-4. They go up an E grade for each rank all the way to E-12. A Petty Office first class would be an E-6/

Jim Clark-Dawe

cmckenziemitchinson
03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Great Info!! I was talking US Navy. I'm an American living now in the UK :) .
If the man in question was 26 years old and worked at the naval hospital say as a corpsman, what grade/class would he likely be?? I can't remember what the real guy did, but I remember he didn't work at the hospital, I did however know some of the guys in x-ray. I worked in MRI.
Thanks again!
Christy

jclarkdawe
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
If the man in question was 26 years old and worked at the naval hospital say as a corpsman, what grade/class would he likely be??

It depends on when he went in and how he's doing. If he went in at 18, he could be on his third enlistment, or he could have gone in at 25 and just be out of school.

If he's just out of school, he's probably a Petty Officer 3rd Class (E-4). If he's been in a while, and gotten a promotion, he may have moved up to Petty Officer 2nd Class (E-5). If he's been in eight years, he's probably a Petty Officer 1st Class (E-6) or even maybe a Chief Petty Officer (E-7), although he might still be an E-5.

You might want to look at this more from what his job is. An E-7 is probably dealing very little with actual patient care, and more with administrative type duties. An E-4 is probably doing very little in the way of administative type duties.

If you are close to a US Navel base, you can talk to the public information officer.

Jim Clark-Dawe