PDA

View Full Version : Realms

Michael Dracon
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Did you put any alternate Realms in you stories? If so, why did you put them in?

I've been hit by a case of writer's block and I'm thinking of adding a few in my Urban Fantasy to spice things up.

At the moment I have ideas for 4 different Realms, the usual stuff found in Urban Fantasy: Heaven, Hell, some type of Death related realm and a Fae Realm.

Mr. Jinx
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I use a hell-substitute called the Shadowlands. For Heaven I use the Alesian Fields.

I sprinkle biblical myth and folklore throughout but approach much of it obliquely so I can spin it to suit my story more easily.

Rhea L
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
My current WiP has the heaven-like realm as the main setting, with the equivalent of earth being less important. There's a neutral plane in between two worlds that separates them. No other realms at this point, but it's likely to change by the time I'm done exploiting that universe. >;-)

JPSpideyCJ
03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
The rest of the world...

And I have a safe, castle like structure, a fiery horror, a plain mountain-side area and a Mage realm.

Michael Dracon
03-29-2007, 12:34 AM
What kind of uses were these realms to you? For the moment I've mainly got them as locations where certain creatures come from. People can go into the realms, but only with aid of the original inhabitants. The as of yet unnamed Death related Realm is where ghosts go to when people die, though not all of them, not my a long shot.

I want to have them do more than just that, but for the moment I have no idea what else I can do with them.

Sage
03-29-2007, 01:57 AM
At the moment I have ideas for 4 different Realms, the usual stuff found in Urban Fantasy: Heaven, Hell, some type of Death related realm and a Fae Realm.
You mean Heaven & Hell are usually considered "realms." Cool. I was calling them that anyway.

I have three planes of existence--the celestial plane (Celestia), the human plane (Earth), & the lower plane (which apparently has no name... hmmm)--& the two realms, which are both on Celestia. Celestia is where the gods, Angels of Death, & the spirits of humans reside; Earth is, well, Earth; & the lower plane is where demons live.

Michael, if humans go the Death realm in your world, what is the purpose of Heaven & Hell?

Michael Dracon
03-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Realm or Plaines of Existence. I'm using those terms loosely to indicate the same basic principle. Each writer has his own preference of what to call them, but they often refer to roughly similar concepts.

My Death related realm is where people go when they die, per default. My version of Heaven and Hell are where Angels and Demons live. Though you can go there when you 'die' or more specifically 'move on' in a special way, like some type of ascension.

The thing is, I don't like to have them there just as home location of a certain creature. There is bound to be more than just making them another Plain of Existence.

JPSpideyCJ
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
The flat Earth is resided for Humans and monsters/creatures/races, and Mages. The mountain-side castles are safely in use for my good spirits, The Winged, sorta like Angels, and occasionally Mages. The Cantar also live there, with the exception of Jardun, who lives in the fiery realm of my evil spirits/races.

laurel29
03-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I have an infinite number of them in my WIP, but almost all aren't named. In fact I don't even like the few names I have. It is something that has been irritating me.